Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

I used these masks last week for the letter of the week part of the challenge (Y) and realized as I was taking notes on the masks and reading up on their claims and ingredients that all claim to provide some sort of well aging or anti-aging benefits, so another theme for this group of masks, unintended as it was. Also, another trait each of these masks have in common are that the essence in each is a form of a watered-down milky emulsion! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ A lovely surprise to each of my masking sessions.

Y is for yogurt, youth and Yehwadam x2.

Y masks (collage).png

tl;dr: A single use of a sheet mask typically isn't enough for me to speak to its well-aging / anti-aging claims and that's the case with each of these masks. That said, I loved that all contained a form of a watered-down milky emulsion essence and that each left my skin feeling soft, smooth, supple and with a dewy glow. As to be expected, some performed better than others - I experienced some tingling (but no redness) from the Beauty Pie and the Yehwadam Revitalizing masks and some redness where I placed the essence patches from the Yehwadam Brightening Nourishing Facial Mask.

Beauty Pie Uber Youth Multi-Peptide H-Collagen Sheet Mask

Spoiler
The openings for the eyes and mouth don't look super narrow but when I apply the Beauty Pie Uber Youth Multi-Peptide H-Collagen Sheet Mask to my face, I end up needing to do a fair bit of adjustments to the corners of both, to the length at the chin, and surprisingly, to the material at the philtrum, which kept sliding down over my upper lip more often than I cared for. Interestingly, I experienced some tingling off and on the entire time I had on the mask, but only at the high points of my cheeks. Nothing alarming but certainly noticeable. I left the mask on for the recommended 30 minutes and even then, there was A LOT of fresh, citrusy, bergamot scented, watered down milky-emulsion like essence remaining atop my skin. There was also quite a bit of tackiness as I pressed and patted all that excess essence into the skin.

That said, the results are where the mask shines - my skin was soft, felt moisturized and supple, and looked luminous - my complexion was glowing! Even my eyebrows were glistening from all the essence. Now, there is a good amount of tack that remains. I don't mind the tack but it is not going to be for everyone - I still felt a little tack after applying moisturizer and my foundation, which looked great - the radiance from the essence came through. This would make a great mask to use before applying makeup and/or for a special occasion or event. Thank you to @Tamara76  and @Sunnysmom for telling me about Beauty Pie. 

The Face Shop Yehwadam Revitalizing Mask:  

Spoiler
The fresh, lightly floral, herbal and mildly lotion-like scent of the milky essence in The Face Shop Yehwadam Revitalizing Mask sets a luxe, tranquil tone to start off the masking session. The softness of the material, possibly Bemliese, rests gently against the skinadhering beautifully to the contours of the face. As with most sheet mask, I need to take off an inch at the chin and jawline and make some slight incisions to the corners of the eye and mouth openings for a more tailored fit. 

I paused for a spell when a faint tingling around the perimeter of my face and brow bone persisted. A quick glance at the INCI list leads me to believe it might be the turmeric, as my skin has experienced varying degrees of tingling from products consisting of that ingredient. It was subtle but noticeable for the entire 20 minutes I had on the mask. No negative reaction became of it. There's a lot of extra essence in the packet; ordinarily, I'd layer more atop the mask to extend the wear time or save it to use as a toner or essence the next morning, but given the tingling I felt, I opted to apply it on my arms and legs instead and did not experience any tingling when I did so.  This single use of the Yehwadam mask is hardly enough to speak to the mask's "anti aging" claims, but my skin looked refreshed and felt lightly moisturized, with a supple bounce to it. 

Neogen Dermalogy Probiotics Relief Mask:  

Spoiler

This "Y" mask is based on the illustration on the lower right-hand corner of the packaging - the clusters of -Y-looking shapes seem like they are intended to be depictions of probiotics. I did some sleuthing to try to find some info to make that explanation less of a stretch and what do you know?! It looks like there's a good for you bifido-bacterium (used as probiotics) known as GI Jake that is ... you guessed it, shaped like a "Y". I don't know for certain if the probiotics in this sheet mask are of the GI Jake varietal but I think my "Y" mask is less of a stretch than I initially thought. Phew. I feel like someone here (maybe @Kim888) has used this Neogen Dermalogy Probiotics Relief Mask before?

Straight out of the packet I caught a scent that reminded me of a cross between a carbonated grape soda and a sweet grape candy - not quite what I would describe as a grape jolly rancher but along those lines. The essence has a rich but lightweight feel, with the consistency of a slightly viscous watered-down milky emulsion, and there's plenty of it, both in the mask and in the packet. It looked like there was enough extra that you could saturate another sheet.

This is an oddly shaped sheet - width-wise it's much narrower than most sheet masks, and on me, it was a perfect fit. Also narrow though were the openings for the eyes and mouth - almost so narrow that if I didn't make a few incisions here and there, those parts of my face would have felt squished. Most sheet masks are too long at the chin / jawline for my face shape and this one was extra long - slightly more than 2-1/2" too long. But that's what my hard-working pair of mini scissors are for, right?!

Results-wise, I was very pleased with this mask. My skin felt nourished after 30 minutes of wear, with a nice bounce to it. With just the one use, I can't speak to the anti-aging claims, but this one felt soothing and left my complexion looking noticeably brighter, more radiant. This seems like a mask well suited for those with dry, very dry or dehydrated skin, and one that would work well both to unwind after a long day or to use to prep skin before makeup application.

The Face Shop Yehwadam Brightening Nourishing Facial Mask:  

Spoiler
The 2-step Yehwadam Brightening Nourishing Facial Mask from The Face Shop consists of 4 essence patches and your traditional sheet mask.  The essence patches are dots that are a little larger in size as the Peace Out Acne Dots but a lot thinner; the patches here feel almost paper thin, which makes sense as they are intended to dissolve into the skin. I placed them over a couple of sunspots / dark spots near my eye. I didn't find traces of the spots after I removed the sheet masks which leads me to believe they did dissolve!

Step 2, the sheet looks and feels like microfiber - soft, silky, white-hued that has a little more density to it than the standard cotton sheet mask. It holds a ton of essence, to the point where it does drip, though not much, from the sheet both coming out of the packet and when applied. The essence itself looks like a watered-down milky liquid with medium viscosity; the consistency actually feels more like a light serum than an essence. There's a light, pleasant scent - a blend of floral and herbs that I find to be really quite lovely; the scent was soothing. Adherence is good and fit width-wise is great for my face shape. The openings for the eyes and mouth are on the narrow side and there's a handful of adjustments needed there and at the chin and jawline for a better overall fit. 

The mask wore comfortably and after removing the sheet, my skin had that post-sheet mask glassy dewiness to it. Results with this mask are mixed for me - the parts of my face where I applied the patches were red the next morning, the red that signals irritation. I'm not sure if this was due just to the patches themselves or a combination of the ingredients in those patches and the skin in that area being more delicate and sensitive. The rest of my face, on the other hand, looked soft, smooth, more clear and brighter in tone. Given these results, I would be interested in using this mask again, though I would probably test out the patches on an area that is not sensitive to see if any redness results. An experiment for another day. 

My lip care routinwith the masking sessions were good and much needed this time of the year. It's a reminder to up (and keep up) a solid lip care routine. Bite Beauty Agave+ Weekly Vegan Lip Scrub 0.7 oz/ 20 g (gratis) LANEIGE Lip Glowy Balm Berry 

Interesting about the turmeric in TFS mask causing a bit of a tingling sensation, @itsfi. Happy to hear that it was limited to that only. That is the second time I have been reminded here to use up that Bite, better get on it!

@eshoe, I wouldnโ€™t have expected that except that Iโ€™ve experienced it with other sheet masks that have included turmeric. It could be a coincidence and maybe my skin was just particularly sensitive on those occasions? In any event, the tingling was minor and not persistent. 

@itsfi oh oh oh milky emulsion?? Yes yes!! 

Yes @lmaster! ๐Ÿ˜ I was giddy when I opened these masks up and saw the formula / type of essence in each mask. The milky, emulsion like ones are fantastic! I wish more brands would identify on the packaging, the type of essence included in the mask, like what Innisfree and Etude House do with some of their sheet mask lines. It would make it easier to scoop up sheet masks by the handfuls. ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

@itsfi 

Lots of anti-aging masks here. I haven't heard of some of these brands.

@elleb810, I find many masks that are geared towards "anti-aging" to be good for moisturizing and nourishing the skin, both results my dehydrated dry skin loves. That they all have a watered down milky emulsion serum is an added plus. At some point, I'll probably figure out which anti-aging mask I like best and then put that one through a multi-day wear test to see if there are any noticeable results with consistent, regular wear. All done for science, of course. ๐Ÿ˜š๐Ÿ˜†

Great info on the Beauty Pie mask @itsfi. Mine just came so perfect timing on what to expect. Iโ€™ll be anxious to try it now. I also received the other โ€œ10 minute miracleโ€ mask so will see ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜Š. Have you tried that one? 

@Sunnysmom @itsfi 

What other things from Beauty Pie have you used and liked? It's kinda an interesting setup.

@elleb810 @missy94612  I've picked up a handful of their candles. I haven't lit all of them, but have enjoyed the ones I have so far - Clean House is really nice - it has a fresh, clean scent that makes the house smell very nice. Their limited edition holiday scents are great too - one is gingerbread, almond and orange blossom and the other is hot chocolate and peppermint (and yes, it does smell like hot chocolate and peppermint!!! ๐Ÿ˜).

I haven't tried any of their makeup; I've mainly picked up candles or skincare products as I had heard some really great things about their skincare offerings - the serums, the capsules, etc.. They have 3 masks - the Uji matcha green tea one (it tingled on me but it may have been because my skin was sensitized when I used it), the 10-minute mask which is very nourishing and this Uber Youth one, another that I like. These are good; I wouldn't necessarily say they're "must haves' but they are nice to use. 

@Sunnysmom 

It is @elleb810 . It took me a good while to figure it all out too and what to do! ๐Ÿ˜† I have to say I have really enjoyed almost all the things Iโ€™ve tried which I was a little afraid of at first, sight unseen. I donโ€™t have the exact names of the items off my head but as far as generalities I really like the satin and matte lipsticks (very smooth satiny semi mattes really) , liquid and powder highlighters and glow powder, Super Cheek creme blush pots and powder blush, shadows and Uber mascara in particular. The Mascara Reviver is a smart little product, very similar to another one I had. It truly works. The Uber Mascara is not too thin or thick and is deep and dark. But I prefer one that isnโ€™t too wet and that the blush is fluffy. โ˜บ๏ธ The shadows are very smooth and seem to last. Even the brushes seen decent. Very impressed with all of it so far ! I did post some swatches last year I think as well. Happy to dig them up or update if not ๐Ÿฅฐ.

In terms of skincare, I am really enjoying the Uber Youth Super Serum and Uber Neck Serum and Uber Neck and Chest Spray. I just received the Genius Lift Elixir and Superdrops Flash Face Lift also and they smell amazing besides being non-sticky or heavy which I really appreciate. The neck spray seems to tighten quickly! Yay! I read a lot of reviews to see what their best sellers were and why and some of these products seem to hit the mark. Oh and the illuminating Under Eye Genius is terrific! Interesting texture and not thin nor thick. Iโ€™m going to try the masks this weekend as I know @itsfi likes them as well it appears. And I believe sheโ€™s tried the candles too. ๐Ÿ˜Š The founder has such a deep knowledge on skincare and the industry I feel like so I do trust her ingredients and products. Hope this helps! ๐Ÿฅฐ ( If you guys or any one want a referral code feel free to PM me. Am sure others happy to do so as well! ) @missy94612 

@Sunnysmom @itsfi @elleb810 

I'd be interested in knowing this too. 

@Sunnysmom, good timing, indeed. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ  Would love to hear your thoughts on the mask once you have a chance to use it. 

I like the 10-minute mask a lot. I found it to be nourishing and moisturizing, which is  great for my skin these days, which is dry leaning drier! ๐Ÿ˜‚ Itโ€™s shaped differently than the traditional sheet mask. I thought I looked a little like Voldemort but it works well.

Take a lesson learned from me - the mask is not meant to be split or torn into two. You can do it if you want but it makes it more challenging to fit on your face. Of course, if it works better for you to split it in half so thereโ€™s a right and left side, go for it. 

Oh good to know thanks @itsfi . They both sound very nice and nourishing!  Iโ€™ll def let you know when I try it. Iโ€™m getting drier by the day so I will be doing it this weekend I think! I will keep it in one piece too. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜˜

Sample Mask 

IMG_20211216_212302293.jpg

• This was tinted red/pink and sheer
  • I absolutely picked up cherry scent, but also picked up the sour, it was not terrible at all
  • It says to add a small amount of water to the mask and apply to your face, wait about 10-15 minutes I believe then rinse off
  • I actually brought this mask down past my neck,,, big mistake ( although I've never ever had any reactions in the past with other leave on masks)
  • After about 2 minutes of the mask being on my neck, my neck started to itch intensely
  • I did remove it from my neck and kept it on my face
  • My face genuinely felt soft and plump
  • I would be too scared to use this again, my neck did not like it at allScreenshot_20211220-092622.png

โ€ƒ

Screenshot_20211220-092639.png

โ€ƒphotos and ingredients from the internet site eminence

Spoiler
    IMG_20211218_120017912.jpg

โ€ƒwhat my neck looked like the next day

Oh @lmaster I am so sorry that you experienced this type of reaction from this mask๐Ÿ˜ณ This was your neck, the next day? Yikes!

@eshoe yep!! It lasted a bit over a week before it healed completely ughhh as soon as it hit my neck,,, it started burning. I always bring masks down to my neck, so this was a bit of a shocker

@lmaster I have just started trying that for my hydrating masks at least. I am too scared to do something like the Peter Thomas Roth FIRMxโ„ข Exfoliating Peel Gel on my neck๐Ÿ˜ฌ I am so thankful your skin is back to normal!

@eshoe I feel like I unconsciously bring it down to my neck ๐Ÿ˜

@lmaster  

Yikes! Sorry to hear you broke out. Odd that it was just on your neck too. Hopefully it's on the mend.

Thank you!! @elleb810 it's getting better,, slowly,, anything I try to put on it,, burns so bad, so just aloe is getting me through

2 Replies
testing