Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

It was soooooo good, @lmaster. Those comfy, cozy, wrap your skin up in it masks like this are great!

So glad you're enjoying the Merit oil, @eshoe! That Leahlani mask is sounding heavenly too. Adding that brand to my 2022 list now!

The Merit will likely be finished before too long, @quspork - nice pick! Leahlaniโ€™s mask trio has this one, along with the Mermaid Mask and Meli Glow, all of which have delicious scents. Shipping takes awhile, but itโ€™s worth the wait.

@eshoe  I'm glad the mask turned out great despite it being expired! I loved that mask! The apple one was great too! I'm so sad they've been discontinued ๐Ÿ˜ข

The Honey Love mask sounds wonderful! You got me at "honey-berry scented" ๐Ÿ˜‹ That's definitely one I'd like to try sometime 

I can see why you loved it, @Shosh85 - it was so cozy and had was deliciously scented! I think you would enjoy that Leahlani mask, that is one that could be good enough to eatโ˜บ๏ธ

@eshoe, itโ€™s great to have a gentle exfoliator on hand. ๐Ÿ’“

Yes, although I wish it hadnโ€™t taken me so many years to learn how to use one properly, @itsfi. Masking can be a humbling experience.

That grape packaging is so fun @eshoe ! Glad it worked out well for you even though it was expired !

It is, @Kim888! That was likely part of the reason this was set aside for a rainy day.

Catchup post with the last of last week's W masks   

W for wonderberry

W - Wonderberry.jpg

Spoiler
Seoulista Beauty Wonderberry Skin Defense Instant Facial Mask is described as a "biodegradable coconut mask infused with antioxidant blueberry and hydrating hyaluronic acid" which makes me think "is a wonderberry the same thing as a blueberry?" Initial internet searches suggests it's different than a blueberry but shares similar features. My search also makes me wonder whether the wonderberry is the same as, or similar to, the elderberry? More research for another day. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

The bio-cellulose material on this mask is lightly patterned and like most bio-cellulose sheet masks, adheres well to the skin. Fit is near perfect in that the only adjustments I needed to make slight incisions to material at the corners of the eyes and sides of the nose to help those areas adhere flat against my skin. My experience with bio-cellulose masks is that the essence in most is infused in the material such that you really only feel that the mask holds the essence when you have it on and you only get a feel for the consistency of the essence after removing the mask. Not so with this Seoulista Beauty bio-cellulose mask - the gel essence can be seen and felt both on the mask and in the extra in the packet; if that's not the first time I've experienced this, it is definitely one of only a few, rare times. 

The gel is neither gooey or stringy, feels cool against the skin and has a fresh, floral, refreshing, icy scent that reminds me of Leaders' signature sheet mask scent but with the scent on this mask being softer on the floral side and more pronounced on the icy side. The essence dries down and absorbs quickly and leaves zero tack or stickiness. My skin feels hydrated and refreshed, as well as taut, but not tight, with a light bounce to it. Like most bio-cellulose masks, this would be great to use after a day in the sun, a peel or to just relax or unwind. It stand outs among other bio-cellulose masks I've used, which is rare. This is one I would be happy to have on hand in my collection. 

My first experience with the Virtue Restorative, Hydrating Treatment Hair Mask with Keratin was based on receiving it in a gratis box and after initially being 'meh' on it, I came to like it. Fast forward almost 2 years to the day of first receiving the gratis and I reached for this deluxe sample that was either included as part of a gwp that I don't remember receiving or as part of an old sub box that I'm slowly but surely making my way through. lol.

This light, gel cream has a strong floral scent that to my nose is neither pleasant nor offensive. Could I do without it being so prominent? Yes. Is it so strong that it gives me a headache or otherwise linger so that I don't want to be near myself? No. 

The smooth consistency of the mask helps it to apply easily through my strands, working nicely to detangle any rough spots or knots, and works its magic quickly - the product rinses out easily after the recommended 2-3 minutes, leaving my hair feeling light, soft and fluffy. I like too the movement my hair has to it after using this mask, which leads to the ultimate question, would I repurchase? I would probably repurchase this one if I didn't already have so many hair masks in the queue waiting to be used. 

W for whoa, WLDKAT and weightless   

W - WLDKAT + Weightless.jpg

Spoiler
I first became acquainted with the WLDKAT. brand when I caught sight of their now discontinued (of course!) Hyaluronic Acid + Vitamin A + E Lip Gel - the brand seems to have steered away from color products with a focus on skincare. As someone who considers herself a skincare fangirl, I'm happy to see what their skincare line will offer, but because of my love for their lip gel, I must ask, is lipcare not also part of skincare? I would not be mad if that lip gel found its way back into the brand's lineup. Just throwing that out there. 

The unscented WLDKAT. Starflower + Snow Mushroom Ultra-Hydrating Overnight Mask has a consistency that I've not seen before - it looks like a rich, thicker-leaning cream in the tub, but as I scoop out some product, I notice it has some bounce or tension to it ... interesting. The consistency also feels more like a cream-gel (as opposed to a gel-cream). There's also a sorta clotted or congealed but also fluffy look to it coming out of the jar that, upon contact with the warmth of your skin, emulsifies into a lightweight, silky lotion that melts beautifully into the skin and leaves my skin feeling and looking soft and lightly  moisturized the next morning

As a daytime moisturizer:  As with many overnight masks, I like to see how it performs as a daytime moisturizer. Based on what I saw the morning after using this mask, I definitely wanted to see how it would hold up during the day if I subbed it in for my regular daytime moisturizer. It performed nicely, and I wouldn't mind using it in the daytime again, but I prefer to use this on as it was intended to be used, as an overnight mask.

Repurchase?:  Now, moment of truth - would I repurchase? So, I think it's safe to say that I have a healthy supply of overnight / sleeping masks that I will not be in want for another one in a very long time. That being said, I would not be surprised if a full size of this WLDKAT. overnight mask shows up in a future haul. Hahaha! 

Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Weightless Mask 6.7 oz/ 200 mL is a lightweight, midly earth-scented, silicone-free hair mask geared towards those with fine hair looking for a little volume and hydration. That sounded like it would be right up my alley. I didn't notice any volume from the hair mask, but my hair did feel soft, smooth and lightly hydrated. I like the slip to this hair mask - it's thin enough to move it easily throughout the hair but it also has enough heft to it to do a nice job of detangling. Overall, while this is a hair mask that I would be happy to use again if I had it lying around, it's not one that I feel the need to go out to pick up.

@itsfi  I've really been liking the WLDKAT mask too! I love the consistency of it - it's so great for dry skin!

The results from the Wonderberry mask sounds wonderful! I was hoping you'd say it smells like blueberry & coconut though. ๐Ÿซ๐Ÿฅฅ

I had to look up what a Wonderberry was, since I've never heard of it before. This is how Wikipedia describes it -  "The plant produces diminutive, dark blue-purple edible fruits that are bland in flavor and often combined with sugar in desserts. Green (unripe) fruits may be poisonous"

91293D8C-2B0B-4FE4-8AC9-9472A4BB570C.jpeg

Yaaay @Shosh85! Another admirer of the WLDKAT. Overnight Mask! ๐Ÿ˜Š I was pleasantly surprised by how well I liked this mask. You are 100% correct - great for dry skin! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ  I didnโ€™t know you used this mask before; will go back to find your post on it. Have you tried other products from this brand?

Ohhh if only the biocellulose smelled like coconut and blueberries?!!! ๐Ÿฅฅ๐Ÿซ ๐Ÿ˜ Itโ€™s a nice mask without it but those two scents would have elevated it even more on the list of biocellulose masks to love. 

Ahhh, so wonderberries are their own type of berry. ๐Ÿค” Iโ€™ve never had one so thatโ€™s going on the list of things I want to do - but not the green (unripe and potentially poisonous) ones. 

@itsfi  I haven't posted a review on the WLDKAT mask yet. It's a DS I got "free with purchase" at Ulta. I'll most likely purchase the FS.

I bought a FS of the Eye Gel and Gel Cleanser and got a free DS of the Sleep Mask and Hydrating Gel Cream. The only thing I've tried so far is the Sleep Mask. 
I've been busy testing out the products from our recent gratis and haven't got around to trying anything else ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Shosh85, ahhhh, that (Ulta gwp) must be where I picked up the WLDKAT sleeping mask! What does it say that I've been on a low buy but still can't remember gwp's?!! Probably a sign that the low buy needs to be a low-ER buy! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ I was a bit bummed that WLDKAT seems to have discontinued its lip stain/gloss, but I am happy with this sleeping mask. I'm looking forward to trying out some more things from the brand, BUT after I've finished up a few more of the skincare goodies in my current rotation.  Ohhh yes! I can definitely understand being preoccupied with the recent gratis - test away!

@itsfi The consistency of the WLDKAT sounds familiar. The Heimish Vitamin E mask, maybe, with the bouncy tension? ๐Ÿค”

Sorry about the headache, too, it is unfortunate some otherwise effective products are loaded down with fragrance.

@eshoe, yes and no to the consistency being similar to the Klairs (or Dear, Klairs) Vitamin E Mask (I think you meant the Klairs one? I know Heimish makes a wash off black tea mask, but I wasn't aware they had a vitamin E wash off mask) in terms of both products have a bouncy quality to them. The consistencies are not the same though. To me, the Klairs mask has more of a gel / gelee consistency, what I liken to almond jelly/jello. The consistency of WLDKAT mask has more heft to it, is richer and creamier in texture, at least initially when it comes out of the container. 

Oh, I didn't experience a headache from the Virtue hair mask. My comments were to say that while the scent is strong and noticeable, it isn't so strong as to induce a headache. At least not for me, but it might be too strong for those with sensitivity to fragrance.

Oh yes, the Klairs, @itsfi. It did not sound quite right to me when I typed it, and yetโ€ฆI went with it ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ 

It's all good @eshoe! I kept thinking "maybe I should go to see if Heimish has a new mask?" even though I knew it would not be a good idea to do anything along the lines of looking at more masks. ๐Ÿ˜‚ This is better though, no new mask to be tempted by ... for now at least. ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜†

Sigh, I know, @itsfi. Thankfully that Peach Slices is a generous jar, so my hydration nights are pretty much secured for the next couple of months๐Ÿ˜‰

This one I used during W week for Willow barkIMG_20211201_121653221.jpg

• I forgot how good these are!!
  • White sheet, fit was interesting large at the forehead and chin, short by the ears, but it did cover everything that needed attention
  • Scent was rosemary, herbal
  • Clear bubbly serum and plenty of it
  • Wear time was 20 minutes
  • Results were great, my skin felt like it was clean and a touch more hydrated, I guess you could say clarifying
  • Tackiness was not noticed
  • I have a few of these to use before expiration, don't know if I'll repurchase, but it did the job that I needed at that momentIMG_20211201_121657884.jpg

โ€ƒ

@lmaster  Peach Slices makes some nice masks! Happy to hear you liked this one! I think the Yuzu Brightening one is my most favorite from this line ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

testing