Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

I've been mostly using these Etude House masks for the last few months, because they're good and super affordable and also because it's just easy not having to think about what mask to use while studying for mid-terms and exams. I just finished my last exam this morning - woo hoooooo!!! and have one last paper to turn in by Tuesday, but it's all done and I just need to proof it one last time. So I thought I would put on a mask and do a marathon read here to catch up on all the masks - wowwwy, you guys used a ton of good ones! 

Photo not minePhoto not mine

One of my favorite lines, @nuinui933! I'm glad to hear that they worked out well for you. And congrats on finishing up the semester!

@quspork  it's so good. I am excited to try every one I can get my hands on. Is there one in the line that you really like?

@nuinui933 There a bunch that I enjoy honestly, but the pearl one and the artemesia one both come to mind. I have a few on hand that I plan to compare pretty soon. 

@lmaster @PrettyPaint @eshoe @itsfi @sister13 @Shosh85   Thank you so much! I turned in my paper first thing on Monday so I wouldn't forget or have it hanging over my head! It's been so nice to just chill too! 

Hurrah!!! Time for a little celebration, @nuinui933! it doesnโ€™t matter how small (or big!) it may beโ€ฆthat is a huge accomplishment. Time to enjoy a bit of peace๐Ÿ•Š

They definitely have a mask for everyone! @nuinui933 

@nuinui933  Wow, that's very aesthetically pleasing to look at all those varieties. I really need to try some more from the line. And that is so great that you are finished for the semester. I am impressed that you already completed your paper as well! I hope you can take some time to relax and celebrate!

It must feels absolutely ahhhh-mazing to be finished with everything for the semester, @nuinui933! Way to go, time to catch up on all of the pampering and relaxation you have set aside over the past few months. This is such a great set, it is a consistent repeat for me as well ๐Ÿ™‚ 

@nuinui933, woo hoo!!! ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ Congrats with finishing with your exams! And, brava for having your paper in near final form ahead of time! You're awesome! It must feel so good to be almost completely done!! A pampering sesh, noooo, lots of pampering sessions are called for - well earned!! 

The masks from this EH line are quite good! I haven't used every flavor yet, but nothing has fallen below a "like" - always a good sign. Love that they are affordable and readily available! If I'm remembering correctly, you like green tea sheet masks, yes? Have you tried the green tea one from this collection? ๐Ÿต

@itsfi omg, you have a good memory. I looooove green tea sheet masks and I've tried the one from Etude House - it's one I buy in packs of 10 when I find them. I like it better than the Innisfree ones I had been using - I still use those too but like the EH one more.

Congratulations on finishing your exams! Nice job and nice masks! @eshoe 

@sister13 I am guessing you meant to tag @nuinui933 ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh my goodness, yes, thanks for the correction! Congratulations @nuinui933 ! @eshoe 

@nuinui933 Yay! It's gotta feel good to have those mid-terms and exams behind you! Pampering yourself is a great way to celebrate!
Etude House makes some pretty great masks, and this is a good solid line! I've really liked a lot of these! I think my only beef with some of the masks in this picture is the alcohol content, but I've really loved quite a few from this line!

Have you tried all of these? I'm curious to know which one's are favorites?!๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, I need to look at which ones I have left in my stash, but do all of the masks from this series contain alcohol? Or is it just certain serum types within the line? That would be total let down if they all contained alcohol across the board. ๐Ÿ˜ž I have this thought that there's a couple of essence/serum types in this range that are alcohol-free, maybe? Or am I confusing these with the Innisfree Real Squeeze line of masks? ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค” Note to Self - Self, take a look at your EH and Ininisfree masks and your notes on them when you get back home for alcohol content. @nuinui933 

@itsfi  Not all the EH masks from this line have alcohol - out of the 12 I've tried so far, 6 have alcohol. Artemisia, Green Tea, Lemon, Pearl, Pomegranate and Tea Tree have alcohol- I think the serum in these are more watery. The masks I've tried from this line with milky serum don't have alcohol. I know there are a lot Innisfree masks from the "Real Squeeze" line also have alcohol too. 

W for wrinkle care, white jade, Weleda, winter, and weightless ๐Ÿ˜Š 

W masks (collage).jpg

Leaders:

Spoiler
Leaders Insolution Collagen Therapy Skin Clinic Mask is a thin-ish cotton sheet that is heavily saturated in a clear, slightly viscous essence bearing that fresh, bright, signature Leaders sheet mask scent. Adherence is good and a tailored fit can be had with a few snips here and there to the length at the chin and to widen the mouth and eye openings.  With mask that have an anti-aging, or well-aging, claim like this one, I tend to modulate my expectations - it seems a little much to expect that a single use of a sheet mask will result in fine lines and wrinkles being diminished. Occasionally, I've experienced some firming with these types of sheet masks, but for the most part, if hydrated, brightened and more supple skin results from 30 minutes of wear, I consider it a win from sheet masks with similar claims. Here, the Leaders Collagen Therapy Mask delivers in those areas - my currently very parched skin slurped up the general amount of serum from this mask and my skin felt hydrated and more plump, bouncy, which makes sense given the ingredients in the top part of the INCI list including the start ingredient collagen (the water soluble variety) being listed at number 10. It also had tha fresh-faced, dewy glow that is common with using a sheet mask. This is a good every day mask and I wonder if consistent use over a continued period of time might yield more well-aging results. Sounds like that might be a mask worthy experiment for the new year.  Hmmm... In the meantime, this is one I like and would happily use again, but with my current list of masks I'm interested in trying (as well as the ones I know will inevitably pop up), it's probably not one that I will be picking up immediately.

Ingredients List:
Spoiler
from Leaders Cosmetics USA
Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Acer Saccharum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hydrolyzed Collagen Extract, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Betaine, Xanthan Gum, Adenosine, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Sorbitan Isostearate, Polysorbate 60, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Ecklonia Cava Extract, Artemisia Capillaris Flower Extract, Houttuynia Cordata Extract, Saururus Chinensis Extract, Fragrance, Sodium Hyaluronate, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Artemisia Absinthium Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Gentiana Lutea Root Extract, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5

Banobagi:  

Spoiler
The clear, viscous essence saturating the slightly thicker leaning Tencel sheet of the Banobagi White Jade Injection Mask bears a lightly prominent but dissipating perfume scent. Adherence was fine, though not the best or softest as far as Tencel masks are concerned. Fit was typical of most sheet masks being an inch too long at the chin and a smidge too wide at the temples, the latter excess not being something worth fussing over. Openings for the eyes and mouth were too narrow for my facial features but nothing a few incisions here and there didn't fix. 

The mask's brightening claims are supported by the INCI list - brightening: niacinamide (3rd), glutathione (6th), licorice root extract (7th), and vitamin C / ascorbic acid (11th). This mask also boasts some excellent ingredients for soothing/calming: bamboo water (4th), allantoin (10th)) and hydration: (glycerin (2nd) and milk protein extract (8th)). Around the 30-minute mark, I could feel the material covering my philtrum area beginning to dry up, which is fairly common, especially in the cooler seasons. There's also a slight tacky-to the-touch feeling that remains even after the essence has dried down and been absorbed into the skin. This is one of those masks that would be good to use as part of a makeup prep routine - skin feels soft, smooth and supple and at the same time, hydrated and with a fresh-faced healthy brightness

Ingredients List:  
Spoiler
from Amazon
Water, Glycerin, Methylpropanediol, Niacinamide, Bambusa Vulgaris Water, Glutathione, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Milk Protein Extract, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Allantoin, Ascorbic Acid, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Hydroxide, 1, 2-Hexanediol, Hydroxyacetophenone, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance
Weleda Skin Food Lip Balm is an all-natural, essential oils-based balm is a slightly thicker leaning emollient balm. This does contain lanolin so those sensitive or allergic to that ingredient will want to avoid this one. The lip balm feels nice on my lips and I find it to be hydrating and nourishing, making it nice to help winterproof the lips, though lasting power, while not bad, isn't the greatest - I found that I needed to reapply every 2-3 hours (though to be fair, I'm drinking water consistently during that time (or trying to) so there's some transfer). 

Eco Your Skin:  

Spoiler
One of the things that comes to mind when I think of winter are comfy, cozy blankets. There have been masks that Iโ€™ve used through the years that Iโ€™ve characterized as feeling like a comfy, cozy blanket. Well, the Eco Your Skin Face Blanket Mask literally holds itself out as being "like a cozy blanket for your face", so I haaaad to get it.

A 2-piece sheet mask, with one side infused with an oil serum and the other side resembling a velvety, dry mask, fit was good on the Eco Your Skin Face Blanket Mask - I didnโ€™t have to make any adjustments (although the length of the nose was on the long side), but the maskโ€™s adherence wasn't the greatest as far as the material for the nose area was concerned, which is a rarity for me. The mask wears comfortably for the entire 30 minutes. Immediately after removing the sheets, my skin feels lightly hydrated and moisturized, with a bit of suppleness to it. 

I've read that this mask can be worn overnight, which runs counter to what I've learned about the do's and dont's of sheet masking, which makes it an even more interesting trait, and one that I am adding to my curated list of my experiments for 2022 - I've already picked up a backup so it'll definitely be something I try out. Overall, this is a nice mask to have but without having tested out the results that may come with leaving it on overnight, itโ€™s currently not one I would necessarily categorize as a must have mask.

Ingredients List:  
Spoiler
From Peach & Lily:  
Water/Aqua, Glycerin, Gelatin, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Sodium Polyacrylate, Arbutin, Tartaric Acid,Butylene Glycol, Natto Gum, Ethyl Hexanediol, Disodium EDTA, PolySorbate 80, 1,2-Hexanediol,Camellia Oleifera Seed Oil, Adenosine, Aluminum Glycinate, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, rh-Oligopeptide-1, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance/Parfum
Moroccanoil Weightless Hydrating Mask 8.5 oz/ 250 mL has a lightweight, whipped texture, white color, and a strong floral scent that remains, though more mildly, after rinsing out the product from the hair. The product thins out with water as it is applied to the hair, acts as a good detangler and leaves hair feeling soft, smooth and moisturized with a healthy shine and movement to it. The initial dose of fragrance on this one is a bit strong for my taste, but I do like the results from this hair mask. That said, I have so many hair products (and especially hair masks) to work through and am putting myself on a no buy for hair masks until I make a dent in my stash.

@itsfi  

I am all for a 'face blanket' especially with this cold weather.

Haha @missy94612๐Ÿคฃ I love soft, thin sheet masks that hug the contour of the face and feel like second skin. I usually have an expectation of that cozy cocoon feel if a mask is made of Tencel (or eucalyptus fibers). Or, when it's marketed as a "face blanket". Hard to turn down a "face blanket" mask, especially with my dry skin, but I hear ya, when it's cold, it just sounds so inviting!

"Face blanket" just sounds amazing. I think we need more face blanket marketing in the mask arena,  @itsfi๐Ÿ˜‚

2 Replies
testing