Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Last of last week's Q masks

Q for Quick 

Q - Quick.jpg

Spoiler
Like other mask packs from this brand, BCL Saborino Night Care 5-in-1 Face Mask - White Grape is meant for use when you're short on time - instructions recommend leaving it on for as little as 1, ONE, minute. 

BCL Saborino puts outs day and night versions of these masks and my preference is for the evening versions. First, the ones geared for nighttime do not contain what I think is the potent smell from the methanol in the morning versions of the mask - it's great for waking you up, which makes sense for a morning mask, but it doesn't agree with my nose and has, on more than one occasion, given me a slight headache. The evening ones, on the other hand, have a slight scent to them that very mildly resembles at least one of the fruits that is marketed as a key ingredient in the specific mask pack. This one had the faintest scent of grapes.

These evening masks are also geared towards infusing the skin with an extra dose of moisture and usually contain a milky, emulsion like essence, though it may be watered down. Each evening pack comes with 33 sheet masks (was there ever a time that we know of when a month was made up of 33 days? Hmmm...). The best results will come from flipping the mask pack upside down so that the sheets that would otherwise be at the top (and that you reach for first as you work through all 33 sheets) have an opportunity to be fully coated / soaked with the essence that would otherwise pool at the bottom. 

In general, these BCL Saborino mask packs are fine, though they are probably better suited for those with normal to combination skin as I don't think the level of moisture it provides is enough for those with dry or very dry skin. That said, my preferred use of these daily evening sheet masks is as part of my morning skincare routine, especially on days when my skin may need just a skosh more moisture and hydration than I might otherwise get from my skincare routine.

Q for Quirky

Q - quirky - snail.jpg

Spoiler
Look y'all! Another special appearance by The Gastropods! 

This mask is a 2-piece hydrogel that, as the name of the mask suggests, contains micro holes throughout, presumably to help the essence infused in the hydrogel better penetrate through the skin, maybe? I've seen patterns and designs like this with cotton fiber sheets but this is a first for me with a hydrogel mask, making it a bit unorthodox, or, put another way for purposes of helping me check the letter of the week box, making it a little quirky. Oh wait, did you think the quirky Q theme was in reference to the gastropods?! lol. 

๐ŸŒMaskBeauuGreen Micro Hole Hydrogel Mask - Snail 

๐ŸŒMaterial: 2-piece hydrogel with micro holes throughout - this is the first I've seen of this type of mask in a hydrogel

๐ŸŒAdherence: Okay. The edge of the lower half of the mask kept separating from my chin very early on, which rarely happens. I've heard of folks having an issue with a hydrogel mask doing this but this was a first for me, and took me by surprise especially since it occurred so early in the wear time as well.

๐ŸŒ Fit: The size and shape of the 2-parts fit my facial features, shape and size very well. If only the bottom edge stayed in place.

๐ŸŒEssence: As with most hydrogel mask, the essence is infused in the mask. I didn't feel any extra essence but I could feel that there was essence atop my skin once I removed the mask.

๐ŸŒScent: None; not even that signature sheet mask scent.

๐ŸŒPerformance: Other than the adherence issue with the bottom edge of the mask, it wore comfortably for the entire 30 minutes I had on the mask. 

๐ŸŒResults: My skin felt lightly damp, which is how I know there's an essence in the mask itself. It wasn't super wet or damp, but it was noticeable and left my skin ever so slightly hydrated making it better suited towards normal or oily skin types, and possibly those with combo (leaning oily) skin. This mask would also be very nice and refreshing after a long day out in the sun

๐ŸŒRepurchase?: No. While the overall fit of the mask was quite nice, there are plenty of other hydrogel masks out there to choose from have better adherence and this mask didn't stand out in any way that would override the problems with adherence.

@itsfi  33 day month that would be interesting. Such a strange number. 

Right @ather?! My best guess is that they include a couple of extra sheets in there, just in case one drops or something; thatโ€™s just a guess though. 

@itsfi ohhh that's too bad with the snail mask, the material sounds interesting

@lmaster, I was so intrigued by the material; really wanted it to work. ๐Ÿ˜” There are a couple of other โ€œflavorsโ€ in that line. I may give another version a try to see if I may have just gotten a bad mask. 

@itsfi I just bought my first multipack like that, and was amused at the number of masks, too. Itโ€™s even more interesting to see this is not brand specific. Do you have a favorite bulk mask pack?

@eshoe, oooh. Your first mask pack! Which one did you pick up? How are you liking them? Are you using them daily? Itโ€™s even more amusing that this brandโ€™s morning mask packs include 28 sheets - theyโ€™ll work fabulously for all non-leap year February months. ๐Ÿ˜† 

Iโ€™ve liked mask packs from VT, Aโ€™Pieu, and Bizoo Oohhaa. The last one I received as a gift but itโ€™s not longer available. VT only makes one mask pack as far as I know, itโ€™s centered on Cica. Aโ€™Pieu has at least 3 varieties of mask pack - I posted about it here a few years back, 2018, maybe 2019 thereabouts. That was a great one. Funny enough, I just posted about the green tea version from the same brand. โฌ†๏ธ Thereโ€™s also a black tea version.

@itsfi I will have to remember the 28-pack come February ๐Ÿ™‚

I am using the Aโ€™Pieu Green Tea one. I opted for that rather than the Hyaluronic option as most evenings I just want a soothing mask that fits well. If it offers a pleasant scent, bonus! 

I have been using it about every other night, sometimes twice in a row. Itโ€™s nice sometimes to just mask and not be thinking about every aspect of it. After the first night, and a mask that dried way too quickly, I flipped the box upside down. That helped disperse the serum to the top mask much better! The scent surprised me; it seems more floral than green tea, but it fades quickly. I find the fit to be better than average, but the wear time shorter (15-20 minutes). I suppose that is a pretty standard duration, my personal preference is usually a longer wear. That being saidโ€ฆI am loving it for plenty of reasons! Mostly that there is less waste, no surprises, and convenient packaging. I don't feel a strong need to try new masks every night, and this fills the gap so that my skin still gets some love and attention no matter my mood. 

I imagine it will take me two-three months to work through a box of 33 at this pace. I think I will try the VT Cica next. I donโ€™t think one could go wrong with a multipack of soothing-type masks on hand:)

@itsfi ew ethanol. 

Ack @Samtian! I meant methanol, not ethanol. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ Still not great but not as bad. Oops. 

Ok this gave me a little chuckle @itsfi @Samtian ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi haha! Methanol is no good to me either. 

100% on board with you @Samtian! I read your post and thought โ€œoh my goodness thereโ€™s ethanol in there too!โ€ Then I thought โ€œwait, did you mess it up, Fi?!!โ€ And sure enough, I did! ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿ˜‚

Recent masking from โ€œQโ€ week, a little Quret comparison:

4660F837-ED94-46F4-BA7C-A2C55663A5F7.jpeg

Spoiler
I am just about finished with the Suqqu Moisture Mask, and although I do love it, I feel there are plenty of other masks that give my skin the same attention and love at a friendlier price point. 

I have used this Quret Hello Friends Mask Iโ€™m Cactus enough times to know it is a decent filler mask, well, maybe slightly better than a filler mask thanks to some supreme hydration. The mask itself is fairly thin, fits well (ample eye openings are always a plus), and lasts a generous 30 minutes. I do not detect a scent. It leaves my skin slightly tacky, but happy. I donโ€™t need a second box, but I find myself reaching for it on nights when I just want to give my skin a good soak. Which is why I bought the Iโ€™m Egg version below.

05B39587-3F0B-40B3-864E-B9D3C12F94ED.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Spoiler
I have been curious about the Rodial Dragonโ€™s Blood Hyaluronix Mask since forever it seems. It makes some promising claims of filling lines and plumping the skin. It has a subtle fruity scent that is noticeable when applying, but dissipates quickly. I wouldnโ€™t mind if it lasted longer! It is a thicker, nearly translucent matte gel tinted the same color as the packaging. Iโ€™ve used it a handful of times, applying a thin layer and leaving it to sit around 20-25 minutes. After rinsing, I find my skin looking slightly plumped, yes; the way it usually does post skincare routine. The results were temporary, which is no surprise. I am a realist when it comes to results ๐Ÿ™‚ The experience is pleasant enough, and  although it is not extraordinary, it is definitely enjoyable.

The ILIA Lip Wrap Overnight Treatment 0.34 oz/ 10 mL gives my lips a buttery layer of protection, and I find myself picking this one up frequently. Some day I will get through my lip mask stash, but I donโ€™t believe that day is coming anytime soon. When it does, this would be a nice repurchase.

The Quret Hello Friends Iโ€™m Egg both appealed to me and made me a little nervous. I was just hoping for no stringy serum to greet me! I found it very, very similar to the Iโ€™m Cactus version in every way possible: no detectable scent, easy fit, and decent wear time (although I felt it didnโ€™t last quite as long, maybe five minutes less). The serum in both is a clear, thicker than water but nowhere near jelly - just right in the middle. I also thought this one was slightly tackier after removing. Based on both, I would be up for trying more, but I wonโ€™t be hunting them down. 

@eshoe - the egg is adorable.

It is cute, @eshores. I have a weakness for those adorable smilesโ˜บ๏ธ

@eshoe  Sounds like a great masking sesh!

No hiccups = always a decent masking , @ather โ˜บ๏ธ

@eshoe the eggy packaging though!! I would probably buy it if I seen it out somewhere!

Yes, @lmaster, itโ€™s hard to pass up an eggy mask!

@eshoe, oh, Quret came out with a new line of masks? The packaging is cute, but it sounds that the results are similar to the results from their other line of masks. Glad it hydrated your skin! ๐Ÿ’ฆ 

2 Replies
testing