Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

💕😌 2024 Masking Challenge 😌💖

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a 💰mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks💗

Re: 💕😌 Mask of the Week Challenge 😌💖

So disappointing to see this line go, @Shosh85. Makes the masking session seem almost bittersweet😢

@eshoe  That's just how it goes, the minute you fall in love with something, it gets discontinued! Definitely bittersweet!

@Shosh85, I’m bummed the brand is phasing out its masks. I’ve used the masks from the juice series and the smoothie collection. I haven’t tried any of the ones from this line but saw a couple online the other day. 🤔 The packaging looks refreshing and the results sound great! 👍🏼 

@itsfi  The smoothie line is my favorite! Peripera has probably been my favorite brand for masks, so you know, of course they're going to stop making them 😢 They always nail the packaging too!

Oh wow, @Shosh85, I didn't realize Peripera was your favorite mask brand. That says a lot about these masks. The smoothie line is great; I've tried most of them, I think - blueberry, avocado and mango. I have pomegranate and lime still to try. 

Love these sparkling ones, @Shosh85. I don't think I've tried the cherry version but it sounds like a good one!

@quspork  I bought the whole line, but have only tried this one so far! Which one is your favorite out of the ones you've tried?

Love the lime one, @Shosh85-- so refreshing!

@Shosh85 ohhhh this one sounds absolutely perfect!!

@lmaster  Yup, not much to complain about! Even the packaging is great! 

This is $55 well spent!! Reusable, depuffs, doesn't cause my rosacea to flare up, and feels soothing and refreshingly cool on my skin. There are also acupressure points that I can't say one way or another do anything. And yeah, it gives off some Hannibal Lecter vibes that scared my dog (sorry Murph!) and made my boyfriend flinch (sorry Babe!) But we both agree it could make for a cool Halloween costume next month.

elleb810_0-1631984112143.png

Photo not mine. From Charlotte Tilbury website.

Charlotte Tilbury Cryo-Recovery Lifting Face Mask with Acupressure Technology 

@elleb810 - oh wow! This one looks pretty cool. That's quite an investment. How often do you use it?

@eshores 

Right now I've been using it twice a week - once on the weekend and then once during the week. 

@elleb810  Oh, I've been so interested in this one so I appreciate your review! I'm seriously considering this one - it sounds great! 😃

Ooooh thank you for the review on this, @elleb810! It is an interesting concept. I wonder how it compares to using a dermaroller. Curious if you need to apply pressure in order for it to work effectively🤔

@elleb810, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on the new CT mask! I know there were many maskers here that were interested in it. I thought I read that you're supposed to put it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before use. I'm not sure if I would plan far enough ahead to do that but I can see how that creates that refreshing and cooling feel you talked about. 

Thanks for the review on this one, @elleb810. It does seem like a really interesting concept. 

Does look pretty neat @elleb810 

From last week's letter of the week, K is for Knit
K - Knit.jpg

Spoiler
Dermatory Moisturizing Knit Mask

😍  Claim(s): Calming and moisturizing

😍  Key INCI: olive oil, honey extract, rose water, allantoin, sodium hyaluronate, panthenol, ceramide 

😍  Material: Knit - OEKO-TEX certified woven mask - it has a gauze-like pattern to it and is thick without being overwhelmingly heavy; feels like a comfy blanket on the skin. (Would be perfect if I had a blanket emoji to include with this review. lol). The material on this mask is less thick and heavy than the Neogen knit mask. 

😍  Adherence: Good

😍  Fit: Width was good; length at chin was about 1/2" too long but then the material for the forehead was about 1/2" too short so it ended up working out well with some adjustments there as well as to the openings for the eyes and mouth.

😍  Essence: creamy liquid 💖

😍  Scent: Lotion-y, it's faint so it's not bad

😍  Results: Zero tack or stickiness after 30 minutes. The serum absorbed quickly, easily and smoothly, leaving my skin feeling happily nourished and moisturized. 

😍  Repurchase: Absolutely. I have a couple of backups and plan to pick up a few more to have on hand for the winter months.

Ingredients:
Spoiler
from YesStyle:
Water, Dipropylene Glycol, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Methylpropanediol, Althaea Rosea Flower Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Honey Extract, Rosa Damascena Flower Water, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Hydroxyacetophenone, Allantoin, Octyldodecanol, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Tromethamine, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexyl Glycerine, Butylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Ceramide NP, Sphingolipids, Sucrose distearate, Cholesterol, Caffeine, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA

A camellia oil focused masking sesh with L's for Leaders, Lapcos and Lip oil
L - Leaders + Lapcos = camellia oi.jpg

Sheet Mask:
Spoiler
Leaders is a throwback brand for me and one that I think very fondly of. I had the good fortune of having a Leaders mask as one of the very first sheet masks I tried. It spoiled me and set the bar high. To this day, there are masks from the brand that I look forward to using. This mask came from a collection that I liked a lot when I first started sheet masking. I thought I had used all of the masks from this series but there seems to be a new mask to the range and then there's this one, which I don't recall ever using. Would this further my love for Leaders?

Leaders 7 Wonders Himalyan Camellia Pore Minimizing Mask claims to minimize the appearance of pores (and fine lines) and smooth skin texture. The INCI list on this one is good, but it's disappointing to find camellia seed oil, the key ingredient for this mask, in the middle of the ingredients list, as the 17th ingredient listed! Minus one point. The coconut gel bio-cellulose mask adheres well to the skin and fit is pretty good in that its only just slightly large along the perimeter, a smidge short for my forehead all while the material for the nose bridge and the nose are very large. Like most biocellulose sheet masks, the clear essence is infused into the mask itself so you don't get that wet feel like with other sheet masks where the material is often noticeably soaked or heavily saturated in the essence or serum. 

Scent is what I affectionately refer to as the "Leaders signature sheet mask scent" - those of you who have used Leaders sheet mask may know what I'm referring - it's a blend of fresh, clean, slightly floral-ish, slightly perfume scent. Another noticeable feature of this mask, but one that is not something I associate with the masks in this line, is the off-and-on slight stinging sensation I experienced on both my lower cheek area during the 30 minutes I had on the mask, though admittedly my skin was feeling sensitive to begin with in the first place. It was not overwhelming or concerning enough to make me end my masking sesh early but it was enough to make me keep an eye on my skin for a few days after I used the mask. No discernible lasting impact from the stinging, but it does make me wary of recommending this mask to those with sensitive skin; in fact, I'd suggest those with any type of skin sensitivity avoid this particular mask

I'd say this is more of a "meh" mask so if we're keeping up with the letter of the week, this one would, sadly, earn a L for lackluster. Makes me want to use another mask or two from this line to see if my thoughts on it have changed or if this particular variety was just a one-off. 
Hair Mask:
Spoiler
Lapcos Camellia Steam Hair Mask is one I would classify as likable, emphasis on the "able" part. The end results are lovely but one of its features makes me (and particularly my nose) leery / wary to use another one of these masks. 

It's heavily fragranced, with a partly floral, partly powdery, partly perfumed scent that lingers - I could very clearly smell the scent in the air a good 5 hours later. It felt like the fragrance just hovered about and if it's a scent you like that's great, but there was something about it that I could have done without. Scent aside, the results were lovely. My hair felt light, but moisturized, healthy, and soft, with a certain fluffiness to it.

I'm torn about this one - while I very much like the results, the scent was not one that my nose was impressed with - it also didn't help that the scent wafted heavily / noticeably through the air of whatever space I was in. If you're okay with or like strong scents, this would be one you may want to try.  
Lip Care
Spoiler
There's even camellia oil in the Illiyoon Oil Smoothing Lip Balm, a thicker leaning, light pink tinted balm that makes my lips feel soft and moisturized. There's added fragrance in this one but I didn't pick up anything.

@itsfi - the knit mask sheet sounds comfy and cozy. Great for the cooler weather.

@eshores, the knit mask is definitely one I want to use again in the wintertime.

14 Replies
testing