Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Film seems to be the issue of the day, as I am catching up, @PrettyPaint. Bummer about this one. You sure have a positive attitude; that can sure come in handy when masking!   

@PrettyPaint 

Sticky, messy and too much film definitely sounds like it's better to use this when you don't have anywhere to go.

@missy94612  Oh for sure! I don't think it would be possible to apply foundation over this one. 

@PrettyPaint  The one I tried from this line was pretty decent as well! The picture on ir really makes me crave a smoothie ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿซ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿฏ

@Shosh85  Oooh a smoothie sounds so good. 

@PrettyPaint love this mask!! 

@lmaster  Oh yay, glad you love it! Jelly masks are so nice for the summer. 

@PrettyPaint, I love a good jelly sheet mask, although they can be sticky. This one looks like it has some really good skincare ingredients. ๐Ÿ˜

@itsfi Yup, it was definitely pretty sticky. I think I have some more in my stash - I may see what it's like if I keep it on for a long time. Perhaps I could get my skin to absorb a bit more of the serum. 

Nice @PrettyPaint ! I agree that those jelly masks are always better off for when you have no where to go after! 

@Kim888  Yup, I definitely try to avoid the jelly masks on work days! ๐Ÿ™‚

J is for jumbled as in this particular group of masks I've reached for this week is a mix of styles, materials and ingredients. No set theme here other than the ones from the mask of the week challenge and, for the most part, @missjeanie's fun (and helpful) forgotten wonders theme. Even though I am working with a much smaller batch of sheet masks, I still forget to reach for a few of them.

J + Forgotten Wonders Week (week of Aug 30).jpg

tl;dr: In general, I'd be fine using any of these masks again - zero irritation from them and at a minimum, they each provided instant hydration or moisture that my skin needed. My favorites of this group are the Frienvita and JMsolution masks - my skin felt hydrated, moisturized and nourished by these masks.

Forgotten Wonder - Dewytree 100 Mask - Hibiscus
Spoiler
Forgot all about this one until I saw @eshoe's post / review a couple of weeks ago. This mask has sadly been forgotten a few times - D week (Dewytree), F week (flower), H week (Hibiscus). It's the last of the masks within the Dewytree 100 Mask line that I had left to try and I finally got around to reaching for it at the beginning of the week. Paired it with some dried hibiscus flowers - Trader Joe's used to carry these, but I haven't seen them around in some time. 

I didn't pick up a hair spray scent like eshoe did on the Dewytree 100 Mask - Hibiscus; I actually did not pick up any scent (though I was prepared for that very distinct Aqua Net smell @ather) from the clear, thin, watery essence. Material on this one is like all of the other sheet masks from the 100 line - a blend of eucalyptus tree fibers, cottonseed and algae. Adherence and fit of this mask are similar to most sheet masks - clings to the face well, just a smidge too wide at the temples, about an inch too long at the chin and requiring some slight incisions and adjustments to the openings for the eyes and mouth. The function of this particular mask is to refresh and revitalize skin and, for the most part, the mask lived up to its claims - my skin looked and felt refreshed and hydrated after an half hour of wear. Overall a fine mask, but not one that stands out. Of the 4 mask in the 100 series, it's my least favorite. That's not to say that it's bad; I just like the other varieties better.

Love, Like or Loathe? Hmmm, this one doesn't fit neatly into any of those categories. I'd say it was more lackluster. Nice enough but not one I would repurchase. 
Forgotten Wonder - Erborian Bamboo Shot Mask
Spoiler
I wish Sephora still carried this brand. The cellulose material on the Erborian Bamboo Shot Mask has a duality to it - it is both incredibly thin and firm, somewhat stiff heft at the same time - this combination gives the material some weight without making it feel heavy; it does not impede adherence either as the mask clung nicely to my skin for the entire half hour I had on the mask. It is soaked in a clear, thin but viscous liquid, the consistency of which resembles more of a serum than an essence. The scent is light and pleasant - it has a fresh, mildly green feel to the scent with a very faint bit of a floral fragrance in there as well.

Size-wise, this is one of if not the most perfect fitting mask I've come across in my years of sheet masking. The material for the nose was wide but better that than not enough material. The only adjustments needed were to make slight incisions to the outer corners of the eye and mouth openings to help the material lie flat against my skin. Fit isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me but when a sheet masks fits my face well, I take notice; and this one fit very well. There's plenty of serum remaining atop my face after removing the mask - I probably could have left the mask on for at least 15-20 minutes, for a total of 45-50 minutes - and even more serum in the packet. My face feels slightly tacky after the excess serum has been pressed into the skin, but it goes away after the serum is fully absorbed. My skin looks and feels hydrated and refreshed - a bit more awake and dewy

Love, Like or Loathe?  A definite "Like". It's not a mask I would say is a 'must have' but certainly one I would describe as "nice to have on hand", especially during the warmer months of the year. I am interested in trying the other products in this line, in particular the wash-off version of this mask and the moisturizers.
Forgotten Wonder - Frienvita Moisture Filtering Mask Plum Vitamin E
Spoiler
I've been meaning to use this mask for some time now - going back to E week and F week. Was reminded about it when I saw @lmaster's post a while back and the pill capsule design on the aloe mask that @Shosh85 used earlier this week. 

This Frienvita Moisture Filtering Mask Plum Vitamin E has so many great features. The clear, watery gel-like essence has a medium viscosity and slightly fruity scent. The soft, thin, but pliable cotton material adheres nicely to the skin, and fit is like most sheet masks - large overall, but this mask doesn't have any slits. I left this one on for my usual 30 minutes. There's a slight tackiness that remains after removing the mask and pressing in the remaining essence; this tack lasts for about an hour until my skin fully absorbs the essence. If you don't have an hour to spare, following up with a moisturizer will take away the tackiness. The results from this mask are wonderful - skin feels moisturized and looks more plump. Another sheet mask added to the list of repurchase-worthy masks. 

Love, Like or Loathe? This is an easy mask to love. It feels so nice on the skin and the results are wonderful - moisturized, bouncier skin.
Forgotten Wonder & a J mask - J for JMsolution and jellyfish
Spoiler
The combination of the jelly essence and the soft, lightweight Tencel cupra material of the JMsolution Active Jellyfish Vital Mask Prime is marvelous. Adherence is good and the fit is similar to most sheet masks - overly large along the perimeter, particularly at the chin / jawline, with some slight modifications needed to the corners of the eye and mouth openings for better fit and adherence. The gel-like essence is clear and unscented, the latter of which makes it suitable for a broader audience. Broad is how I would describe the functions claimed by the mask - moisturizing, nourishing, hydrating, firming and vitalizing. Wow, throw in some detoxifying pore care and we have the kitchen sink of claims. ๐Ÿ˜‚ That said, the mask does check off a lot of those boxes. My skin looked and felt hydrated, nourished and moisturized after 30 minutes with the mask. While I can't be sure about the anti-aging type claims after one use, I did notice some firming / tightening around my under eye area, which makes me interested in seeing what results I might see from this mask with regular, consistent use. Hmmm... that may make for an interesting experiment in the future. ๐Ÿค”

Love, Like or Loathe? JMsolution has been a brand that I've been learning more about. I've been impressed with their sheet masks and this one was no exception. It's one I like (a lot). The jelly essence on this mask is great and I like the hydration and moisture it gives my skin. 

@itsfi  

Which of the Dewytree masks did you like best?

@missy94612, in order of most to least liked,   birch, Cica, quince and hibiscus. 

The jellyfish mask looks interesting. I haven't heard of that as a skincare ingredient before.

@elleb810, this was the first for me as well to see it as a skincare ingredient. It did a good job of hydrating my skin. ๐Ÿ˜€

These all sound great, @itsfi!! Does the jellyfish mask actually have jellyfish or jellyfish extract? It's an intriguing one!!

@haleyvvvv, my skin was happy with all of these masks! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ 

Except for this JMsolution line, I havenโ€™t really seen it in as a skincare ingredient but yep, the sheet mask contains jellyfish extract. Hereโ€™s a snapshot of the INCI list from the product page on Stylevanaโ€™s site:

BD96765C-EBED-4C15-B268-6F562C4B3906.png

from stylevana(dot)com

โ€ƒ

@itsfi  Sounds like a great group of masks! I've been hearing such good things about JM Solution masks! I've never bought any, because for some reason they've never seemed appealing to me - but I'll definitely have to pic some up if I run into them again!

At this point, my mask collection has become so extensive, they're all pretty much "Forgotten Wonders" now ๐Ÿ˜‚

Hahaha @Shosh85! โ€œShoshโ€™s Forgotten Wondersโ€ - you should make a little sign with that and place it in the area where you keep your sheet masks. You can shop your forgotten wonders store! ๐Ÿ˜Š 

The look of or illustrations on many of the JMsolution sheet masks donโ€™t draw you in as easily or quickly  as some other masks out there. Iโ€™ve had good experiences with them and now find myself always looking at the brandโ€™s offering when Iโ€™m online or in a store. Thereโ€™s a honey one I want to try, have wanted to try for a while. Maybe part of the next sheet mask haul. ๐Ÿ›’ 

@itsfi  That jellyfish mask sounds wonderful. I'm trying to be good and not buy any masks, but this one is tempting enough that I might be bad and go for it. 

testing