Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@PrettyPaint the citrus did not seem noticable at all to me, and I didn't notice any tackiness on the daytime version, maybe mine was drying out more, it seemed to not be anywhere near as saturated as the nighttime mask

@lmaster  I took a pretty big sniff! ๐Ÿ™‚  The tack on the morning was nothing compared to night, though.

@PrettyPaint, itchy and tacky? That sounds like a pass for the night mask. 

@nuinui933  Haha - yeah, it wasn't my favorite! ๐Ÿ™‚

This is an interesting concept for having both the a.m. and p.m. mask together. I'm sorry the lavender left you with some itchiness, @PrettyPaint. I hope that didn't last too long after removal. 

@quspork  Thanks! Fortunately the itching was mainly while wearing it. ๐Ÿ™‚

E for Etude HouseE for Etude House

Etude House Jewel Beam Gel Mask - Classic Gold is a 2-piece bright yellow-gold hued opaque hydrogel mask. Adherence was good for a hydrogel - I experienced some initial slippage with the strip over the philtrum but that was it and it didn't last too long before I was able to get it to stay in place. Fit was good, as is often the case with 2-piece mask; it was a smidge too long at the chin, but not so much that I felt the need to trim the 1/4" excess. The forehead area was too short by 1/2". This one has a very, very light, barely noticeable herbaceous plant leaning fragrance. I had mixed results with its firming and nourishing claims. With the former, I really don't expect to experience any firming with a single use so I tend to set aside such claims when reviewing a mask, though if it does provide some firming, I do make a note of it as I feel that is out of the ordinary (in a good way). As for nourishing, my skin felt lightly nourished so it checks the box there in terms of delivering on what it promised. For nourishing sheet masks, I prefer a milky, cream, gel or jelly serum and find that a non-biocellulose or non-hydrogel sheet is a better vehicle for delivering those types of serums.  

My favorite from this line of mask remains the Twinkling Diamonds version, with this Classic Gold coming in second. This mask is one that I would use again though not one I would seek out from the lineI recently saw that there's a fourth varietal in this collection, Blushing Ruby. I'm on the fence whether I want to give that one a try, but imagine I will if it is available when I pick up another of the Twinkling Diamond mask.

Followed up the mask with the rest of my skincare, some concealer and the Ciatรฉ London Burst Hydrating Lip Oil Yuzu & Grapefruit before heading out the door. Happy Monday!

Mmmm, @itsfi, the scent on this one sounds so inviting! I had to smile at your comment, โ€œAdherence was good for a hydrogel,โ€ as they can certainly misbehave๐Ÿ˜‰

@eshoe, full face hydrogels, whether one or two pieces seem to be so finicky. Under eye masks made of the same material adhere beautifully. The full face ones though slip and slide around so much more, mainly the bottom half of the mask. Theyโ€™re usually solid โ€œokayโ€ masks. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ 

@itsfi  This sounds like a decent line of masks, and I feel like I'd be tempted to buy them just based on the names of them alone ๐Ÿ˜‚ If you do end up buying the Ruby one, I'll be interested to know how it compares to the others! ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Shosh85, lol. I know what you mean. I picked the first one from the line last year(?) because I thought the โ€œgelโ€ in the name was talking about the type of serum and not that it was a hydrogel mask. I knew better when it came to picking a couple of the others up. I feel like I have to pick up the Ruby one now for a complete review, if I can find it. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ If I do, Iโ€™ll definitely let you know. 

Thanks for your review!! @itsfi 

@lmaster, you're welcome. ๐Ÿ™‚ It's been fun to share and hear about thoughts on masks.

@itsfi  Do they name the varieties within this line based on the color/appearance of the hydrogel mask? Just curious. It's ok if you don't know. ๐Ÿ™‚

With the most unhelpful answer @PrettyPaint, sorta?! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I really should have remembered to take photos of the mask itself, but for whatever reason, I forgot to do so with each of the masks from this line that I've used. Ugh. Complete user error. This may be more helpful:

Twinkling Diamonds - clear with sparkles (like "twinkling diamonds") scattered throughout the mask. To me, this is the prettiest of the masks in this collection. I wasnโ€™t expecting that and was very pleased when that feature when I used it. Wearing it made my face look like it was alight with sparkles! ๐Ÿ˜

Moonlit Pearl - the "pearl" is more in reference to the pearlescent finish / sheen to the mask, which is pretty, but in terms of color, I'd describe it more as a pale, neutral-ish champagne thank what comes to my mind in terms of a pearl or moonlight. 

Classic Gold - of the three I've tried, the way this mask looks is more reflective of its name - it is a classic gold shade. If I had a gold bar bullion (well, I never thought I'd say that ๐Ÿ˜‚), it would probably look similar to this color. 

Blushing Ruby - I've not tried this one but from the photos online it does have a ruby red shade though it looks less shiny than what I imagine a ruby gemstone looks like. 

This seems like an interesting line, @itsfi. A hydrogel isn't what I would expect for a more "nourishing" mask either, but it's good to hear that you did get at least some of that from it. 

@quspork, I was very skeptical about the 'nourishing' claim. At most, I expect hydrogels to be more soothing / calming with possibly some light hydration added. After using this one, I thought that if my skin were oilier all over (so perhaps in the warmest part of the summer here, which would be late September / early October - we have late summers), it might like this one with just a lightly moisturizing SPF in the daytime or a mist over before bed. 

Going with the multi-step theme:

725F41C6-97A3-46BF-B319-9421C2BE3782.jpeg

Spoiler

Biorace Propolis Repair Mask

This is a two step mask. The first step is a cotton peeling pad with a convenient pouch to stick your fingers in. It was fully saturated with a clear, watery serum and did not have much of a scent - maybe just a typical sheet mask kind of smell. After wiping my face down with it and letting it absorb, my skin felt soft and smooth.

Step 2 is the mask:

Material:

Thin, meshy cotton

Serum:

Thin, slimy gel

Scent:

A mix of fruity and floral - I thought it was pretty pleasant

Fit:

A little too wide at the forehead and a little too long at the chin and jawline

Wear Time:

Half hour

Tack:

It was a little sticky and lasted about a half hour

Results:

Super soft and smooth, moisturized skin with a nice glow.

Repurchase?

It was a great mask that I'd gladly use again, and I may repurchase if I ran across it somewhere like TJ Maxx, but It's not one I'd go out of my way to find.

Ingredients:

Spoiler
EF0B6E6A-39D5-4BC5-9D12-7F515CC90482.jpeg

Love that SH is third on the ingredient list, @Shosh85! I have seen a detox wash-off mask by this brand, but havenโ€™t tried it yet. This sounds decent all around๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

@eshoe  It's pretty good mask. The SH is great being that high up, as well as the niacinamide and propolis! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85 the scent sounds really nice!

testing