Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@Kim888  

My husband caught sight of your meal and now wants to know when we'll be having it. lol.

@missy94612 @lmaster 

its Flank steak sliced into a strip and rolled with marinated red peppers, spinach and sliced provolone. My parentโ€™s butcher sometimes does them up but itโ€™s fairly easy to just do 

@Kim888  

Thank you. Making my grocery list now. This'll be what's for dinner Friday night.

@Kim888 ๐Ÿคค now how do you cook this?? 

@lmaster @I just put it in the oven for 20-25 minutes (depending on how rare you like it) at 350. I did 22 minutes which was perfect medium rare. 

You do definitely need the cooking twine to hold it together when cooking 

@Kim888 ahhhh thank you thank you!! ๐Ÿ˜˜

Wow!!! @Kim888 @eshoe I've never seen anything like this

Oh wow @Kim888 that looks DELICIOUS! Yum!!

A twofer from last week - B for brightening and bubbly (lip scrub) and a "sparkle on" mask

B - sparkles.jpg

Spoiler

Etude House Jewel Beam Gel Mask - Moonlit Pearl is a two-piece hydrogel mask with a pearlescent warm champagne finish. While soft, there's a certain density to the material that keeps it from slip-sliding about like many hydrogel masks. The mask is coated in a liquid essence that has some slip to it without being slippery, adheres well against the contours of my face, and feels cooling on the skin. 

One less-than-desirable feature of this mask is the scent - it smells strongly of perfume and lingers longer than necessary. With vitamin C and pearls as key ingredients, its brightening claims are to be expected and the results do not disappoint; the brightening effect from the mask is not so much a blinding strobe light shine but more of a brighter, fresh faced glow to the complexion. Overall the mask itself isn't bad; the Twinkling Diamond version though remains my favorite within this line of sheet masks. I would happily use this one again if I had it, but I don't feel the need to search it out.

Unpa Bubi Bubi Bubble Lip Scrub is a fun one to use; it bubbles/foams up slightly. I received a Dior Lip Glow Oil as gratis a while back and have since picked up a few additional colors along the way. Lip oils are great for hydrating and moisturizing the lips while imparting a glossy finish and if you go with a tinted one, a hint of color.

@itsfi  Well, I like the sound of those results, but not sure I could handle the scent. ๐Ÿ˜ Why do companies have to ruin a good mask with a strong fragrance?!

@itsfi everything about the mask sounds nice,,, like you said a strong perfume scent is less than desirable for me too 

Oh no, @itsfi - the EH label had me hoping for good things. There are just too many other good masks out there without added fragrance. The bubbling lip scrub, especially the name-sounds fun and also like one set aside for nights when you have a little extra-added energy for your masking sessionโ˜บ๏ธ I think it sounds like a pretty fun evening!

@eshoe, the EH mask would have been a good one if it hadn't been so heavily fragranced. Though I imagine for some, they'll like having more fragrance. This bubbling lip scrub has a pump dispenser which is nice and easy to use. 

After sampling a DS of the Alpyn Melt Moisturizer and noticing significant differences, I was curious how much the Alpyn Beauty Wild Huckleberry 8-Acid Polishing Peel Mask 1.7 oz / 50 mL DS would differ from the FS. Thank you @Ispend2much6 for being the motivating force behind this little match-up.

E700DE0B-0117-48B1-AE19-A084F5839F1F.jpeg

Spoiler
@Ispend2much6 tagged me about an upcoming Alpyn Virtual Masterclass happening on the 21st (spots are still open - $15 for the class and .5oz samples of the Acid Peel Mask and Melt Moisturizer on Credo Beauty). I recently finished a FS of the Melt and was happy to open up a DS the day I received it. Two major aspects stood out: the overwhelming lavender/almost rubber-ish scent was no longer there, and it absorbed almost immediately. MAJOR plus! I hope to ask the brand at the event if they did in fact reformulated it; it certainly seems like it, and I loved it without hesitation.
294550E8-7F4D-458A-8D7C-7853F741A7AA.jpeg

So the mask. This is a hefty, natural acid packed  mask. When it says use for five minutes, use for five minutes. I started with the left side of my face, and the FS jar. I set my stopwatch. It took me 33 seconds to apply to my skin. Next I applied the DS to the right side of my face as quickly as possible. This took about 20 seconds. I was quickly writing everything down, noting the scent (both the same), color (the DS is slightly lighter),  and texture (the DS seemed โ€˜fluffierโ€™). When I looked at the clock and saw 5 mins 46 secs, I immediately began rinsing. Very, very carefully, as the mini and larger granules can be harsh if removed too aggressively. 

Both sides of my face were quite smoothed, but the left was noticeably reddened. It did not hurt, or burn, but the more time passed, the brighter it glowed. I attributed this to the extra close-to-one- minute the FS had on my skin, rather than any differences in the formula. This is great flash-mask for soft skin, as long as the instructions are followed to a T!

The  Dearboo Everyday Lavender and Cactus Mask had a floral/fresh scent to it, with an adequate amount of serum to soak the mask and provide a little bit of additional hydration half-way through masking. The fit was decent - a little snipping around the eyes made it fit and form to my face better than out of the packet. I removed after around ten minutes as the thought of lavender on my skin post-redness was not appealing. I plan to try this one again when I am not so concerned with the after-effects. With alcohol and watermelon in it, I didnโ€™t want to take my chances. Also, no lavender? Or cactus? I could have sworn I checked the ingredients. Letโ€™s see what the second round says!

Ingredients:
Spoiler
39FA7CAF-A8A4-482A-A585-C0FDEF223B22.jpeg

โ€ƒ

@eshoe  

Alpyn sounds great. Do you use the entire line?

Not yet, @elleb810 ๐Ÿ˜„ I have used the Melt Moisturizer, Melatonin Sleeping Mask and Huckleberry 8-Acid mask. I am hesitant to try the Alpyn Beauty Line-Filling Eye Cream with Bakuchiol and Caffeine 0.5 oz/ 14 mL based on my experience with the strongly-scented line. My eyes arenโ€™t overly sensitive, but I have noticed creams with scents/oil extracts make them water. 

@eshoe  

The Huckleberry mask sounds like it would be a strong one - 8 acids. I didn't know there were that many. lol. The strong fragrance would be a turnoff for me too.

It is a very intimidating mask for me as well, @elleb810. As long as I stick to the 5-minute limit, my skin feels soothed and loved. I did learn during a Virtual Masterclass with the creator/Owner that redness from enzymes is to be expected, as it increases blood flow. If it doesnโ€™t burn or feel irritated, that is ok!

@eshoe did you say the FS smelled like Plastic and the Ds didn't?

@lmaster the FS was definitely stronger in scent that the DS, almost rubber-like. The Sleeping Mask is much more rubbery in scent, but I still love it because it makes my skin look and feel so good.

@eshoe, was there no scent to the DS Alpyn or just that the rubbery lavender scent from the FS was no longer present?

1 Reply
testing