Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@lmaster  Annie's Way definitely makes some great masks!! ๐Ÿ™Œ

@Shosh85  Sounds like a decent mask!!! 

@ather  It was pretty great! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85  

The packaging is cute on this one. Nice to see that the scent is from the ingredients and not perfume.

@missy94612  Definitely love the packaging on this line of masks! I agree, having a good scent come from the ingredients and not added fragrance is always a nice bonus! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Masking Duel: Original vs. Clean versions:

mask duel.jpg

Spoiler

For my mask duel, I tried the original and clean version of the Sephora Watermelon After Sun mask.

First up: the SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Face Mask Watermelon.

This two-part mask has protective layers on both sides, which seems to be the norm for biocellulose material. The mask itself has a light pink hue, which seems to come from the serum as the protective layers are also tinted pink. It had a clean, fresh scent, and fit my face quite well. I left it on for around 30 minutes, and found no residual tackiness. My skin appeared softened, and I was pretty pleased with the results.

The next night (last Sunday), I re-tried the original SEPHORA COLLECTION After-Sun Mask - Watermelon Watermelon. This also had the same clean, fresh scent, this time in a clear serum. The eye openings seemed slightly smaller, but overall the fit was superior to the clean version. The neck/decollete portion was fun to use, and I found having an extra biocell mini-mask to soothe my skin a huge bonus. I wrapped it around my neck, and much like the results on my face, found the skin there to be smoothed after using. 

I would use both again, although I found the Original version to be my favorite for fit. It is currently OOS, not surprising as it is also on sale. Of all the Sephora branded masks Iโ€™ve used, these are by far my favorites. 

@eshoe, the watermelon after-sun masks are great additions to the Sephora Collection masks.

They might be the only facial Biocellulose masks Sephora has, @itsfi, at least that I have seen. I would love a full size coffee biocell โ˜•๏ธ 

@eshoe, I think thatโ€™s right, at least for the masks in the non-square packaging. Iโ€™ve not tried many of the ones that come in the square packaging though (going to tag @Shosh85 as she may have more insight there), but my recollection is that these after sun masks are the only biocellulose masks.

The full face masks in the not-quite-a-full-circle packaging are made of Eucalyptus fiber (Tencel). Having a few more biocellulose masks in the collection would be a good thing, in my opinion. Iโ€™m all on board with a full face coffee biocellulose mask. Where do I go to sign that petition? ๐Ÿ˜† 

I am not sure, @itsfi -  but if you find out, please let me know๐Ÿ˜‚

@eshoe great idea to pit these two against each other! 

Either that, or they would both have expired waiting for a โ€˜special day,โ€™ @lmaster ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

@eshoe  

My husband and I did a test of these masks this weekend after reading @itsfi review a few weeks ago. He liked the new one; I like the fit of the older one. Definitely great ones to use after some fun in the sun.

How fun, @missy94612! It is great when you can enjoy masking in general with someone in your household. Actually, that is kind of like the dream๐Ÿ’– ๐Ÿฅฐ 

If a mask has an unusual scent, or something that I think I am getting, but unsure of, I share it and ask for an opinion. It is so helpful, and another reason why the ability to share scents online would be so cool.

@eshoe  Well, it's good to hear the fit was really the only difference! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I haven't liked the formulation changes in the clean versions I've tried. I agree that a watermelon scent would've been nice! Great duel! ๐Ÿ‰

@Shosh85 I am with you; of all of the Sephora masks that I have tried, only these two (and the caffeine/coffee eye mask) would be on my repurchase list. Due to the biocellulose material, these get a pass. Add in the bonus sheet-which I used on my neck and loved, for a reasonable price, and itโ€™s an easy win.

@eshoe  I wonder why they changed the fit between the original and the clean version.  You reminded me I should have pulled mine out this week after I had been in the sun so much I had heat exhaustion. I bet it would have felt amazing!! Iโ€™ll have to dig it out for our next heat wave!

@ather I was curious about that too. I was surprised find the clean scent in the Clean version, itโ€™s really ok to be unscented (although a fresh, sweet watermelon ๐Ÿ‰ one would have been a bonus!).

A for apricot

apricot.jpg

Sheet Mask:
Spoiler

Dermal Apricot Collagen Essence Mask  is the first sheet masks I've seen with apricot as the spotlight ingredient, so when my eyes spied it in the store, I decided to give it a try. Except for the scent, which smells like fresh, juicy apricots, everything about this mask is what I would expect of most sheet masks - medium thick, cotton sheet coated in a clear, not too runny, slightly viscous essence with a little extra in the pouch to reapply to the sheet mask or other parts of the body. 

Adherence was okay, but around the 15-20 minute mark, I could feel certain parts of the mask feeling like they were drying out and those parts, which still adhering to me, didn't feel like they'd stay that way for too much longer. Like with most sheet masks, fit can be tailored to the shape, size and contours of the face with a trusty pair of mini scissors. 

I think of Dermal masks as filler masks, and this apricot version falls squarely in that category. The mask itself, well, it's fine. The scent is the biggest draw for me - apricot goodness! It really needs to be bottled, either as an essence or serum, or simply as a fragrance. Hmmm.... who will I need to speak with to discuss that?!! ๐Ÿ˜Š
Wash Off Mask:
Spoiler
Creamy, apricot hued, with a light apricot scent. Those are what stand out to me about the Skinfood Apricot Food Mask. Between the scent on the sheet mask and the one on this kaolin clay based wash-off mask, I was very happy with my morning and evening masking times. Love the fruity scent. For those keeping score, the scent on the sheet mask was the better of the two scents; simply delicious!

Per the instructions, I left the mask on for the minimum 5 minutes (instructions suggest leaving on for 5-10 minutes before rinsing off). I felt a slight tingling on the most sensitive part of my face, my cheeks. That, however, dissipated, thankfully.  For a kaolin mask, it didn't dry up or tighten, which makes me think this mask will be seeing more use. For a first use, the mask performed very well. The mask absorbs beautifully into the skin and is easy to remove with a washcloth, leaving my skin looking fresh-faced, clear, and lightly hydrated
Lip Care:
Spoiler
Beekman 1801 Sheer Tinted Apricot & Honey Tea Goat Milk Lip Balm is alright. It's not drying, but it's also not super moisturizing either. It keeps my lips soft, lightly hydrated, and with the slightest tint. Sadly, it smelled neither of apricot nor honey tea. It didn't really have a scent at all, but that's far better than if it smelled bad. This is a lip balm that's fine if you have it around, but it's not necessarily one that you need.

@itsfi, the only apricot mask I've seen before is the St. Ives scrub, though that's not really a mask, I guess. These sound better than the St. Ives. I didn't know Skinfood made an apricot mask.

@nuinui933, Skinfood seems to have introduced new varietals and collections to their mask lineups, both wash off and sheet masks. As for wash off masks, Iโ€™ve only used the strawberry black sugar scrub mask (which smells delicious by the way ๐Ÿ˜) and now this apricot one - gentle but effective seems to be an underlying approach with both and I like it. 

1 Reply
testing