Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@ather, itโ€™s a bummer that it soaks up so much product without distributing it onto the face. ๐Ÿ™ I will try it again, next time following the directions ๐Ÿ˜† to see how that works out. 

@itsfi  Hopefully you can make it work out better!

Me too @ather; I'm certainly going to give it a try! ๐Ÿ™‚

@itsfi very interested in how this will perform over the month!! Kinda exciting! Looking forward to hearing more

@lmaster, Iโ€™ll keep you posted. Iโ€™m trying to put together a schedule that I think will work best to try out different serums with the mask. 

@itsfi This is definitely an interesting concept. I'm all about reducing waste and using biodegradable and recyclable products as much as possible, but I do wonder how effective this would end up really being, depending on what one is looking for in their masking experience. Part of my concern would be the mask material itself given that I often mask looking for some sort of soothing and even a relatively soft cloth may be too rough to really replace the same type of smooth feel you'd get with hydrogel or Tencel or something of that nature. But I do really like the idea of it for being able to be re-used with various essences/serums. I can't wait to hear about your further experimentations! 

@quspork, I'm with ya. From the perspective of reducing waste, this is headed in a good direction, but based on this first use, it doesn't really give the same results as you would get with a sheet mask. Also, given the price and I'm not sure if it is cost effective in the long run. I noted to @Shosh85  that I incorporate the "7-skin method" into my skincare routine more frequently in the warmer months, in lieu of using a sheet mask and that seems more eco-friendly (and cost effective) than a reusable mask. 

Your point on the cloth being too rough, even if made of a soft material, is well noted. My cheeks are sensitive and while I fortunately didn't have any issues with this reusable mask, I did wonder how my skin would respond to the material, and to the tag on the inside (which you could cut off). I will be sure to pay attention to whether the same softness I felt this first time continues or whether it becomes less so over time.

@itsfi  Hmm, this does seem like a nice concept! I like the idea of laying on top of serum... but I think I would've done the same as you and soaked it in serum/essence. I think I might run into an issue with washing - I don't use a fragrance free detergent, and I feel like for this I would need a gentle, fragrance free one. Does it have special washing instructions? I'm guessing you'd need to put it in a mesh/bra bag, and maybe on gentle cycle?

@Shosh85, on the brand's site, it just says "Machine wash and tumble dry after every use." The sales associate said that she puts hers in a mesh / lingerie bag; that seems the way to go, especially since it would be easy to catch onto something with all the holes and loop on this mask.  Yeah, a fragrance free detergent would be the way to go with this one. Nordstrom has a fragrance free detergent for delicates that I usually pick up when it goes on sale or with a rewards note. That or a baby detergent is the way I'll go.

I was thinking more about their instructions / intended usage. Just applying toner / essence and then laying this atop it doesn't give the same effect as using a sheet mask, which is often saturated in serum. Not sure adding water to the mask does anything other than dilute the serum. In the summer months, I find myself using the 7-skin method more frequently and often as a substitute for a sheet mask and that to me is both more eco-friendly and effective than this mask. 

Z for Zaodam

The Zaodam Sooc Mask

PXL_20210627_194907451.jpg

This Zaodam mask is a very thin cotton sheet soaked in a gel essence that contains mugwort extract, yam extract, and motherwort. In addition to hydration, it's supposed to be good for soothing, revitalizing, and balancing. Overall, the fit was great. It's a wider mask than a lot of others I've used so it was nice to actually be able to get it onto the outermost areas around my cheeks. It's a thin mask so there was nice adherence as it clung really easily. Now, there was a strong scent- kind of medicinal, similar to tea tree. I didn't mind it as those more earthy, herbal-y scents are usually up my alley anyway. But those that are sensitive to that type of thing would want to be mindful. I wore the mask a good 20 minutes and probably could have kept it on a bit longer. After removal, I had no tack whatsoever and was left with super soft skin that felt nourished. The following day I did notice that the usual redness on my cheeks was much less than normal- a benefit that I've had before with Etude House's mugwort mask, so that was a nice perk as well. I'll definitely re-purchase this one and am super interested in trying a couple other products from the brand. 

@quspork I love mugwort!! ๐Ÿ˜† Definitely I need more sheet masks, sounds wonderful

@quspork Ooh that sounds nice, minus the smell. And I love the packaging. 

@quspork, I think I used the same mask, but it has a different design on the packaging. Unless the design is to signal a different mask; the mask names look to be the same. Hmmmโ€ฆ ๐Ÿค” I didnโ€™t pick up a tea tree scent so now Iโ€™m intrigued about these masks. The skincare products in this line do look very good. If you pick up something, Iโ€™d love to hear what you think about it. 

Interesting- I checked oo35mm (.com) and they have both photos on the product listing page, so I'm assuming you may have the newer packaging, @itsfi? The ingredients lists look pretty similar. 

@quspork, they do look very similar. Maybe they just put out different "face pages" for the masks? I might have to see about getting my hands on both, just to make sure. For science, of course. ๐Ÿ˜‰

@quspork  The packaging on these masks are so simple, yet so calming and peaceful ๐Ÿ˜Š The results from this mask sound wonderful! I don't mind earthy and herbal either ๐Ÿ˜‰ - it's the strong floral/perfumy scents that bother me the most ๐Ÿคข Glad this one turned out nice - mugwort is such a great ingredient! 

Yes, love a good mugwort, @Shosh85! Those perfumy, floral scents can definitely be more overwhelming to me too, so I'm always glad when something has a good fruity or earthy scent. 

Last nightโ€™s โ€˜great things never come from comfort zonesโ€™ masking with Huxley:

31816F56-01AE-478B-B1EC-36C9E34F5318.jpeg

Spoiler
Huxley has been a favorite of mine, the scent in the moisturizer and Calming Mask here is somewhat grassy/herbal. The mask seems a little stronger and less natural, but for a calming and hydrating mask, it does the work without any fuss.

The Huxley Secret of the Sahara Oil and Extract Mask has prickly pear seed oil and cactus extract in a carefully partitioned envelope. Similar to the Oozoo bear, you roll the oil packet into the mask pouch and knead it before applying. I appreciate this as I have no idea what sort of degradation might occur if they were blended and sat for months on end. 
01C6CD1A-27F4-4C6B-B8CF-8E0043375C7C.jpeg

Which this did; I selected it from motm, so a huge thank you to whoever placed it there-what a treat for me! I looked so forward to using it that I let it expire ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ That being said, I donโ€™t think there would was anything noticeably off with it; the fabric was absolutely lovely. The soft, curvy material that the Heimish pH mask is made of welcomed me. I left the well-fitted sheet on over 30 minutes without it drying down. I set it aside to photograph this morning.

25635496-0153-4F1C-896E-AFCA3FA42A47.jpeg

It was still drenched in oil in places. 

I would use this and do plan to again in the future. My skin felt soothed and hydrated, without a trace of tackiness. ๐Ÿ’–

@eshoe Ooh this one sounds lovely, I love those two ingredients. Don't like the separation haha. 

Yeah, some masks really make us work, donโ€™t they @Samtian ๐Ÿ˜‚

This looks like a nice masking duo, @eshoe. I'm impressed the Secret of the Sahara mask still held that much liquid the following day. 

testing