Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi  Oh, I forgot to ask - how do you like the TGIN hair mask? ... and have you tried the honey one? I am having trouble deciding which one to get ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I think @lmaster has also tried one or both of these as well? Would love to know what you both think!

@Shosh85, I've tried both the rose and the honey mask and like them both, but reach for them on different occasions. The rose mask has a thinner consistency than the honey mask, which has much richer texture to it. The rose mask is one I can keep in a rotation without having to think about it much. The honey mask, on the other had, I tend to reach for when I'm looking for more of a really deep conditioning hair mask, and I have more time to work with it.

If you're debating over the two, would you say your individual hair strands are on the thin side? Or normal? Thick / coarse? My individual hair strands are on the thin side but I have a lot, so either of these hair masks are fine with me, though with the honey one, I do need to work it in my hair a little more because of the consistency, and I go through an extra "rinse" cycle when washing it out because the consistency is heavier than the rose one. 

Do you have an Ulta or Sally Beauty store near you? If you do, you may want to call to see if they carry the honey mask in the packet size (1.75 oz) - that might be a good way for you to see if the consistency is too heavy for your hair. If it works out for you, then your hair will like either the rose or the honey one. If you find the honey mask to be too thick, then the rose is the way to go. The rose one does smell like roses; it's not a bad smell but I know that floral scents are more a product-by-product thing for you. 

I don't know if I have another packet of the honey mask at home, but I'll take a look tonight or over the weekend. If I do, I'll take a pic of the consistency of both for you.

ETA: Shosh, the honey mask has been reformulated. The new formulation does not contain silicones. The honey mask that I tried is the original version (with silicones). I've heard that many prefer the original version.

@itsfi I saw both of these in TJ Maxx but didn't pick them up because they didn't have a seal and I just don't trust that, but I did smell them and liked them both. My hair is super thin and fine, and normally I go for the more thicker masks, but I do think I read somewhere the Honey one was reformulated and not quite as good as the original. I was leaning more towards the Rose one anyway, but I do see online that they have packets of the Honey one and it's online only... so I'm thinking I'll buy a FS Rose and a packet of the Honey. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks Fi, you were very helpful! ๐Ÿ˜„

@Shosh85, good call on passing on the masks at TJ Maxx. No need to risk it. Will be interested to know which of the tgin hair masks you like more. ๐ŸŒนvs ๐Ÿฏ 

@Shosh85 I've not tried the honey, the rose version is absolutely amazing!!

@lmaster I thought I remember you saying you loved it! This is the one I was leaning more towards! Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Awwwww so cute!! I agree, they would make great gifts!! @itsfi 

@lmaster, a filler mask with a fun factor to it isn't a bad thing at all. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I forgot to include a photo of the masks themselves when I originally put up the post, but have added it. โฌ†๏ธ There's definitely a cuteness quotient to these sheet masks. ๐Ÿ˜

@itsfi Zombie mask sounds awesome!

@Samtian, the Zombie mask is super cute! ๐Ÿ˜ I edited my original post to include pics of both sheet masks. โฌ†๏ธ The mask really does match the illustration on the front of the packet.

A is for apple ๐ŸŽ This one was gifted to me from the lovely @Samtian! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

4EBF9733-FBE8-4451-8A76-3C991593060B.jpeg

Spoiler

Remiina Moisturizing Apple O2 Soda Mask

Material:

Thin and meshy cotton

Serum:

Clear and watery

Scent:

Not really much of a scent on this one - maybe just a typical sheet mask kind of smell

Fit:

A little too long at the chin, a smidge too long at the forehead, and the mouth hole didn't line up right and hung too low. Despite the folding and scrunching up I had to do, it was pretty comfortable and adhered well.

Wear Time:

Half hour

Tack:

None

Results:

My skin felt moisturized, a little bouncy, soft & smooth and had a nice glow.

Repurchase?

I really liked the results from this one, so I probably would!

IMG_3814.jpg 

@Shosh85   Glad this one worked out for you! 

Thank you, @ather! I definitely results from this one! ๐Ÿ‘

This would be more awesome if it smelled like apples ๐Ÿ˜† @Shosh85 sounds really good

@lmaster  Haha! I agree! The results were really great though, and that's what is most important! ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Shosh85 Ooh I can't wait to try it!

I really loved the results! Thanks again @Samtian! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

The results from this mask sound great @Shosh85! ๐Ÿ˜ And the packaging looks so refreshing. Signature mask scent is better than (and much preferred over) a really bad one, but I was hoping you'd say it had an apple or apple soda scent. ๐ŸŽ

@itsfi  Yeah, an apple scent would've been really nice, but no scent or a signature sheet mask is not so bad either... definitely better than floral/perfumy ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

Z for zippy, zany, and zero waste?

Z - zippy + zero waste.jpg
tl;dr: Conceptually, I'm on board with the eco-friendly aspect of this "machine-washable, naturally hypoallergenic, antibacterial and antimicrobial" lyocell fiber (from organic bamboo) reusable sheet mask. In practice though, it doesn't seem to provide the same results as you would get from a traditional sheet mask,  though that needs to be vetted more thoroughly. 
Z - JP reusable mask.jpg

About the Mask:
Spoiler
Sheet masks are wonderful for infusing hydration quickly into the skin. Recently, it seems like we're seeing more biodegradable packaging and materials. There's the daily mask packs, of course; in 5-days, 7-days, and month-long versions. Now, there's the Jenny Patinkin Luxury Organic Reusable Sheet Mask with Matching Spa Headband, a "machine-washable, naturally hypoallergenic, antibacterial and antimicrobial" lyocell fiber (from organic bamboo) reusable sheet mask (and matching headband, which is very soft and despite initially feeling like it's a little large for my head, fit securely and comfortably). 

The sheet mask, however, has some fit issues, at least when it comes to my face, which is par for the course. Size-wise, it's not too bad - maybe 1/2" too long at the chin which is really nothing; but it's about 1" too short at the forehead, at a minimum, that's what it looks to be. The mask feels soft like terry cloth and the ear loops feel comfortable on - no tugging, pinching or smooshing. The openings for the mouth, while on the narrow-ish side, can be moved about and adjusted for a more comfortable fit.  The openings for the eyes are very round. It's large enough so that my almond-shaped eyes can fit width-wise, but it just fits. Overall, fit isn't bad, but it does feel a little off.

The draw of this mask is that it can be washed and reused. The instructions provide for 3 different ways to use the mask, none of which I followed. Hahaha! I take that back, I tried one of the recommended approaches, but only after I decided to put my own spin on usage. 
How The Brand Recommends Using The Mask:
Spoiler
from Jenny Patinkin directfrom Jenny Patinkin direct
How I Used the Mask:
Spoiler
The "warm" and "chilled" methods seem like they could be accomplished with a regular washcloth, though that would make it more challenging to walk around while doing so. I also wasn't sure how effective the mask would be incorporating either approach, especially the warm method as the mask cools down fairly quickly. So instead of either of those ways of using the mask, I decided to see about saturating it in an hydrating toner or essence. [NOTE: I would not recommend using a toner / essence that contains AHA / BHA / PHA with this mask - the chemical exfoliants in pre-soaked sheet masks are are usually highly diluted, as water is usually the first ingredient listed and those chemical exfoliants appear later down the inci list (as they should).] 

For my toner / essence of choice with this mask, I chose Peach & Lily Wild Dew Treatment Essence. I went with a new, unopened 1 oz. deluxe sample to see how much product it would take to saturate the mask - because it's not going to be worthwhile if I'm going to go through a lot of toner / essence to soak the mask. Turns out, it takes about 3/4 oz. to just coat it. I should have just used the entire 1 oz. 

So, how did it perform? Eh, it was okay. My skin felt refreshed and lightly hydrated. There wasn't any excess serum; mainly, I think because it remains in the mask material. I found the best thing to do with the mask is to do a little facial massage while wearing it so that the serum is being pressed into the skin, either with the pads of your fingers or with a face roller. This is similar, but not identical, to the third way the brand suggests that this mask can be used, post derma rolling. I did this for maybe 5 minutes, and then I tried the "use warm" method, which was also okay. 

Conceptually, I'm on board with this mask or ones like it for its more eco-friendly approach to sheet masking, though I do wonder how many uses you can get out of it. The sales associate at Credo Beauty, where I purchased the mask, was sharing her excitement over it when I asked about it. She told me that she "loved it" and has "three of them" so she can use them throughout the week. Ummm, I'll start with just the one for now. At $38 a pop (I had a gift card so I wasn't out of pocket for it), it's going to have to wow me before I even contemplate picking up any more.

She also mentioned that she didn't know how long it would hold up over time with all the washing. That wasn't super reassuring. I will continue to play around with this mask through the end of July, so roughly a month, including using it as recommended by the brand, and will report back periodically on how it's going. If y'all have thoughts on other ways to use the mask to make it work better, I'd love it if you'd share.

@itsfi  I can see where the issue would be. The material looks like it will more soak up the serum but doesnโ€™t really deposit it on the skin. Too bad. I like that itโ€™s more eco friendly 

testing