Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi I am pretty sure I have seen it in one of your posts first! 

I bought the Bling Pop on Facetory at the end of the year last year. I am still very saddened that their site (business model?) changed so much that they no longer offer individual sheet masks other than their own brand. I really loved the quick shipping as well. 

@eshoe, I was so focused on getting through my masks that I didn't set aside masks for all the colors of the rainbow; and that indigo shade is a hard one to come by, too! lol. 

I was on the Facetory site last month and it seemed like many of their product offerings were from their own brand, which is a business model that some companies have been moving towards. It makes sense, on one hand, but can be disappointing for consumers. I've found myself in that camp in the past with other companies - happy for the brand as they grow but it's a bummer to lose a valued source for variety. I noticed that they have some, but very few, sheet masks from outside their brand that you can purchase individually - perhaps surplus from their subscription boxes? 

@itsfi I was just re-watching Glow Recipe on Shark Tank, and had forgotten how they originally started. Same model! I do love what they have done, and suppose that  profit margins are much higher when the focus is on an in-house brand. Yes-good for them, a bit sad for us!

@eshoe  Great job masking daily! I love that you did all those colors!

Its too bad the Julep one had issues. Have you used it before? From what I remember I really liked it when I tried it, but mine wasn't expired. 

If the Innisfree mask reminded you of the Missha Ice mask, it's definitely one to look into, especially because I think the Ice masks may be discontinued... of course. ๐Ÿ˜ข

Ooooh any beloved mask will be discontinued @Shosh85- although the last time I checked, the When Last Choice was still available. Itโ€™s one of my first repurchases next month. 

I have tried and loved the Julep, I think this was just old. I think the material must begin to break down and become fragile, as I am not sure if I tore it or if it has already broken down in the packet. 

For the duel, I tried to use up some Facetory masks (each from their "Everyday" line). There was the Acai (rejuvenating), Almond (Skin strengthening), and Jasmine (moisturizing). The fit seemed to be cut the same for all three masks and was pretty decent (just a bit large). The acai was cooling, and my skin felt slightly tacky yet clean. It was fairly generic smelling, though slightly citrusy. The jasmine had a slight lavender smell, and I experienced some tingling while wearing it. There was also some residual tackiness with this one. I experienced the least tingling with the almond, but it had similar tackiness to the others. 

Honestly, it was pretty difficult to distinguish any major differences. They all had a fairly similar, generic sheet mask smell. I would probably best classify them as filler masks. Of the three, I think I probably enjoyed the almond most because it was the least irritating to my skin (the others contained some citrus and lavender ingredients that sometimes cause some minor itchiness).

1.jpg2.jpg

Love this comparison, @PrettyPaint. And good to know about the slight tingling. I've some similar issues with citrus in masks. 

@quspork  Yep - I'm finding that my skin is sensitive to some citrus and sea ingredients in masks! 

I was actually more drawn to the almond just by the picks @PrettyPaint โ˜บ๏ธ happy that's your favorite!

Mmmm I love almonds @lmaster 

@PrettyPaint  Great idea for a duel!! ๐Ÿ™Œ Sorry to hear they caused some irritation! I'm glad to hear the tingling didn't turn into anything serious. ๐Ÿ˜… I haven't tried any masks from this, mostly because I've heard they weren't anything too impressive. Great job getting through them! 

@Shosh85  Yeah, I probably wouldn't intentionally seek them out! ๐Ÿ™‚

Great duel, @PrettyPaint. I am honestly so disappointed that Facetory is selling mostly branded masks at this point. I feel your experiences here and can concur that many are filler masks. There are a couple of standouts (the Detox one was great!), but I miss the variety. Thank you for doing the hard work for all of us!

@eshoe  Yeah, I have noticed the trend towards mostly branded masks - I have managed to accumulate quite a few through the subscription.

@PrettyPaint I have a lot of points there and I think I will try the sub again to spend them. I was planning a mask haul there but I am looking for more variety๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

What a great duel @PrettyPaint! ๐Ÿ˜ I've only tried the acai mask from this line and I agree with you that these are filler masks, which makes sense since these are from their "Everyday" collection. Sorry to hear that your skin experienced some irritation; it's good that you are able to identify the source of it, but it doesn't make for the best masking experience or results. 

@itsfi  Yeah, honestly if you weren't overly impressed with the acai I probably wouldn't seek out the others. There really wasn't much of a difference in my opinion.

Banana duel ๐ŸŒ

2F947529-D6CB-453B-BB42-104986550767.jpeg

Spoiler

A'pieu Banana vs. Ulta Banana

Material:

A'pieu: Medium thickness cotton

Ulta: Thin, pale yellow cotton

Serum:

A'pieu: Milky. Just a little extra in the pouch

Ulta:

Clear, slightly viscous. Not much extra

Scent:

I swear they both had the exact same scent - sweet imitation banana that smelled like banana runts

Fit:

A'pieu: A little too long at the chin and a smidge too wide at the temples.  The adherence wasn't the greatest and had a slight baggy kind of feel. It also would not stay down at the bridge of the nose and the extra length at the chin popped up a few times

Ulta: Great fit and adherence - just a little long at the chin

Wear Time:

Both were worn for a half hour

Tack:

Both had very light tack that only stuck around for a few minutes

Results:

A'pieu: My face looked a little brighter and my skin felt soft and smooth and nicely moisturized

Ulta:

Comfortably hydrated, soft and smooth skin with a nice glow.

Who wins?

Despite the adherence issues with the A'pieu mask, I really liked the milky serum and the results were a little better than the Ulta one. A'pieu wins this round, but it was really almost a tie.

Repurchase?

Both of these masks are repurchases and will continue to be!

Ingredients:

A'pieu:
4A5B31F5-D67B-4837-B4A5-630916565869.jpeg

Ulta:
2EC755C1-71C8-4952-825C-CA3095974205.jpeg

@Shosh85 the entire time I was reading this "bananas in pyjamas' was playing in my head.  Gonna need to add the Ulta version to my eventual to purchase list.  Love me some fake banana scent!

@missjeanie  Haha! Well now you got it stuck in my head! ๐Ÿ˜‚ I actually still have that book from when I was little! ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ˜Š

@Shosh85 ohhhh nice duel!! 

testing