Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Whoa @Shosh85! That is very warm for your neck of the woods! ๐ŸŒž We were 70s and 80s last week and yesterday, sunny with a light breeze. Today, no sun in sight. Lots of grey.  Pulled out the sweatshirts again. ๐Ÿ˜† 

I thought I had more of these. ๐Ÿค” Turns out just this one. But thereโ€™s a store nearby that carries them and sells them individually so Iโ€™ll try a few more and if one or two flavors catch my eye, maybe Iโ€™ll look into a pack. 

97 tomorrow?!! Stay cool. Maybe put a sheet mask in the fridge.

Last night I used the SEPHORA COLLECTION Beauty Ritual Masking Set with the Boscia Charcoal Pudding Mask, I didn't realize Sephora doesn't carry the brand anymore. Anyways the masking set is a big let down for me. After the mask I used the Peace Out Salicylic Acid Acne Healing Dots and Peace Out Oil-Absorbing Pore Treatment Strips I thought the strips were nose only haha so I did the dot first and ended up having to use the strip on my chin, but it worked nice.

199521323_337394974456970_5417413400731190961_n.jpg194541376_327401678840333_1246897551476407695_n.jpg

@Samtian I loved the boscia pudding mask!! So sad they stopped carrying it

@lmaster I had to start using it because someone posted about theirs molding and I was like...mines old I better get to it lol.

@Samtian  I love all of the Peace Out products I have tried!

@PrettyPaint They are pretty good! I don't know why I waited so long to try them. 

@Samtian  I actually just noticed that Sephora wasnโ€™t carrying the boscia brand as well because I use the cooling oil and I donโ€™t see it listed anymore. Very soon I will need to find another oil cleanser ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

@ather I think Ulta has it. 

@Samtian  Thanks!! Iโ€™ll check it out!! 

@Samtian, the Peace Out Dots have been a staple in my drawers since they launched. They're wonderful; though I wish I didn't have to need them. ๐Ÿ˜ Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the masking set. โ˜น๏ธ

@itsfi Haha I hear ya!

@Samtian  What did you not like about the masking set? ... and how did you like the Boscia mask? I love the Peace Out Dots, but haven't tried the strips - glad to hear they worked out well for you!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85 I don't mind the pudding, I've been using it maybe once a week but don't see a difference. The masking set ugh lol the white head band is super tight, and the spatula is curved shaped so with the pudding it doesn't pick up an even amount. It mostly picks up on the tall edges and the middle doesn't get anything. So as you can see it doesn't spread evenly. 

@Samtian  Ah, I see, well I'm glad I didn't pick up that masking set then. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I've tried to used a couple different spatulas for mask application, but it always just seems easier to use my fingers.
If the headband is tight on you, I'm sure it would be even tighter on my ginormous bulbous head ๐Ÿ˜‚

@Shosh85 Haha I have a ginormous head so I'm not surprised it was tight. 

Masksheets is having an early access to its 4th of July sale. Up to 30% off selected brands.

itsfi_0-1624140857972.png

The spotlight was on watermelon for most of my maskings during the work week, with a Y for yummy ๐Ÿ˜‹, and a nod to @sonnydee's rainbow theme ๐ŸŒˆ since watermelon comes in many varieties and in many colors. There's the red variety that many of us are familiar with, along with yellow watermelon, pink watermelon, and orange watermelon. Who knew?!

Watermelon Mask Collage.jpg

tl;dr:

L'Herboflore Watermelon Vitalizing Hydromask: This Taiwanese sheet mask will make a nice hydrating mask for most skin types unless there's an allergy or skin sensitivity to a particular ingredient. It's larger in size and leans slightly thicker than most cotton sheet masks, but wears comfortably. The clear, watery essence has enough viscosity to keep it from dripping everywhere and is plenty for at least 30 minutes of wear. If only the fresh watermelon scent lasted that long. 

Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Hyaluronic Clay Pore-Tight Facial Mask is pale pink hued, hyaluronic acid infused, non-drying, non-tightening and non-hardening, kaolin clay based, exfoliating and hydrating mask having a light, whipped, airy consistency and a berry-ish scent. I applied it to my nose, chin and jawline, and have mixed feelings about the results. It did a pretty nice job of decongesting pores on my nose without leaving my skin feeling tight, hardening, drying down or drying. Those results I'm all for. On the other hand, it didn't perform as well on my chin and jawline as other products, so I'm not inclined to purchase a full size. 

Sephora Collection Watermelon After-Sun Mask (Original vs. Clean): Both are fine and there are a lot of similarities between the two masks. Aside from ingredients and scent (the clean version smells of watermelon while I did not pick up a scent from the original version), the main difference is that the piece in the clean version of the mask for the decollete is much larger, wider and thicker than the original version, which I can see might make the clean version feel more soothing on sunburned skin on that area.

L'Herboflore Watermelon Vitalizing Hydromask

Spoiler
I have yet to taste an actual yellow watermelon but y'all best believe that it's on my "to do" list. I'll have to stick to sheet masks like L'Herboflore Watermelon Vitalizing Hydromask in the meantime, and am interested in seeking out other yellow watermelon masks. 

Mask:L'Herboflore Watermelon Vitalizing Hydromask
Material:Advertised as being a Japanese Multilayer Hydromask, this feels like a cotton fiber mask that leans slightly thicker than your standard sheet mask. Feels comfortable on the skin.
Fit:

The size, shape and fit of Taiwanese sheet masks tend to be extremely well suited for my face size, shape and features so I was a little surprised by how large overall  this particular mask was in size, but that is really a non-issue as there are several strategically placed slits around the perimeter that makes it simple and easy to fold and adjust the mask to fit my face. The only incisions required was to the inner corners of the eyes, to help the material lay flat against my skin.
Essence / Serum:Clear, watery but not runny liquid. I did not pick up any scent initially. Interestingly, the scent of fresh watermelon (not jolly rancher watermelon) was noticeable near the end of my 30 minute wear time and when I removed the mask. It was a pleasant and refreshing scent so I'll take it. 
Claim(s):Hydrates and brightens
Notable Ingredients:The inci list on this one reads like a roll call for humectants: aloe, yellow watermelon extract, sodium hyaluronate, panthenol, sodium PCA, trehalose, and allantoin. Aloe and allantoin also known for their soothing properties and panthenol, can be converted by the body into vitamin B, which has been known to have some brightening effects.
Performance & Results:The mask wore comfortably and felt refreshing the entire 30 minutes I had it on and there was plenty of essence to it that I didn't experience dryness or drying anywhere on my face during that time. My skin looked and felt hydrated and moisturized afterwards, with a healthy, dewy, brightness to my complexion.
My Two Cents:This is a great hydrating mask, suitable for all skin types, even those with sensitive skin, unless there's an allergy to a particular ingredient. 
Will I Repurchase?:Happily, though I will pace myself since I'm trying to manage my sheet mask supply and I would also like to give other L'Herboflore masks a try as well.

Ingredients
Spoiler
from Glowie Co.:
Aqua, Butylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Hydroxyacetophenone, 1,2-Hexanediol, Sodium Pca, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Glycosyl Trehalose, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Xanthan Gum, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Allantoin, Mannitol, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-11, Sodium Nitrate, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Glyoxal, Triethanolamine, Fragrance, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate.
Glow Recipe watermelon masks
Spoiler

This watermelon themed masking sesh showcased Kbeauty brand, Glow Recipe. I love the watermelon jolly rancher scent on the products in this particular collection; the actual products within the line, however, are very much hit or miss, with my favorite product from the watermelon series being the mist.

I'm pretty sure the Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Jelly Hydrogel Mask is well past its prime; it's also been discontinued for years now.  Conceptually, I like the idea of a watermelon infused hydrogel mask; it sounds refreshing and cooling, but it's just a slippery little sucker. I knew that would be the case going into using this mask so I made sure to apply it while I was near my bed and could just lie down for 20 minutes. Results-wise it's fine. If this hydrogel was still around, it would make a nice mask to reach for after a day out in the sun (and coming out of the fridge).

New to the Glow Recipe family is the Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Hyaluronic Clay Pore-Tight Facial Mask (not sure why I am unable to tag this product). It's a pale pink hued, hyaluronic acid infused, non-drying, non-tightening and non-hardening, kaolin clay based, exfoliating and hydrating mask with a light, whipped, airy consistency and a berry-ish scent. With this mask, you're getting both a chemical and physical exfoliation. The chemical exfoliation comes from the polyhydroxy acids (PHA) and the willow bark extract (a natural alternative to salicylic acid) and the physical exfoliation comes from massaging the blueberry seed powder in the mask into your skin before rinsing the mask off completely. 

My cheeks tend to be the most sensitive parts of my face and my forehead has, for some reason, not responded so well in the past to PHAs, which is very odd as they are a more gentler form of AHAs. So, with that in mind, I concentrated my use of this new Glow Recipe mask on my nose, chin and jawline. It's recommended that this mask be left for 2-5 minutes. I had it on for about 2-3 minutes, maybe, before rinsing it off. 

I found that it did a pretty nice job of decongesting the pores on my nose, and I liked that it did not dry down, tighten or harden in order to do so. Sadly though, I didn't find that it worked as well on my chin or jawline. I picked up this DS as part of a gwp promo and I'm happy to have had an opportunity to try it out. There are other products out there that give me good results on my nose, as well as my chin and jawline and for that reason, I'll continue to use up the deluxe sample but will not be picking up a full size. 

The Glow Recipe Glow Lip Pop Lip Balm - Watermelon is a classic example of why giving products another shot can be a good idea. For whatever reason, I was just "meh" about this product when it launched and when I first used it. I've grown more and more fond of it each time that I use it. It has a subtle but delicious smelling watermelon Jolly Rancher scent. It glides on easily and leaves my lips feeling lightly moisturized, with a slight pink tint. This is a nice one to have on hand, to keep on at my work desk as well as in my handbag. 

Sephora Collection Watermelon After Sun Masks (Original vs. Clean)
Spoiler
I'm a few days early for next week's masking duel theme, but we've been experiencing some unusually warm weather here in the Bay Area and it has made for excellent opportunities to give these watermelon after-sun masks a go. I've used the original version on multiple occasions. It's a great mask and now that SC has a clean line, the original version seems to always be on sale, which means it's a great add-on to put in my cart if I need to meet a minimum spend for a DS gwp. 

Similarities:
  •  2-piece, 2-step hydrogel mask - one is your traditional sheet mask; the other is a mask for the neck/chest area 
  • The size and shape of the face masks for each version are identical
  • The material for both feels the same as well and makes me think it is a newer generation bio-cellulose masks given how ultra thin it is
  • Claims to be quenching and tan-perfecting. Both are hydrating, but I have no idea how to gauge how well each performs at perfecting a tan. What does that even mean?

Differences:
  • The clean version has a pink hue to the biocellulose mask while the original version has no tint to it.
  • The clean version has a sweet, fresh, fruity scent, but it did not smell like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. I did not pick up a scent on the original version of the mask.
  • The piece for the neck / chest on the clean version is much larger and thicker than the original version. The thickness of the neck / chest part of the clean version reminds me of the older version of biocellulose masks. 
  • This neck/chest portion of the newer, clean version of the mask also has a wide, heart-like shape, whereas the original version is a lot smaller and shaped like a Jelly Belly jelly bean. 
  • Ingredients lists are different for the masks.

Overall Thoughts

Both versions of the after-sun masks are fine, though the price of the original version now that it's in the sale section at $3 (vs $5) is a better buy.  The neck/chest piece on the clean version, because of its thickness and larger shape, seems like it would work better for relieving and soothing sunburns. 

Ingredients:
From the Sephora product page for each mask
Original Version:
Spoiler
Water, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Methylpropanediol, Glycereth-26, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, PEG/PPG-17/6 Copolymer, Saccharide Isomerate, Hydroxyethyl Urea, PEG-32, 1,2-Hexanediol, Phenoxyethanol, Arginine, Carbomer, Inositol, Panthenol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Coceth-7, PPG-1-PEG-9 Lauryl Glycol Ether, Xanthan Gum, Fragrance, Ethylhexylglycerin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Disodium EDTA, Glyceryl Polyacrylate, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Isostearate, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate,Tocopherol
Clean Version
Spoiler
Aqua (Water), Butylene Glycol, Propanediol, Isopentyldiol, Glycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Saccharide Isomerate, Betaine, Hydroxyacetophenone, Triethyl Citrate, Polyglyceryl-4 Caprate, Polyglyceryl-6 Caprylate, Arginine, Carbomer, Inositol, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Parfum (Fragrance), Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, CI 16035 (Red 40), Disodium Phosphate, Polysorbate 60, Sodium Phosphate, Cellulose, Aqua (Water), Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Glycyrrhiza Uralensis (Licorice) Root Extract, Astragalus Membranaceus Root Extract, Zizyphus Jujuba Fruit Extract, Dextrin
 Glow Recipe Glow Lip Pop Lip Balm Watermelon 
SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Watermelon After Sun Mask 1 Mask 

@itsfi   

My husband and I did a comparison test with the Sephora watermelon masks. The extra material on the newer version was a plus for my husband. He wasn't bothered by the scent but said it made him want watermelon. lol.

After seeing your review and @SportyGirly125 I'm not going to purchase FS either @itsfi 

@lmaster, it may be that the GR clay mask is better suited for those with oily or very oily skin. I have more of the DS left and plant to give it another try in the warmest part of the summer when my skin is at its oiliest to see if I get a different result. 

@itsfi  Good to know the GR worked on your nose but not on your chin and jawline. I have a few samples I may save it and only use on my nose!!! 

1 Reply
testing