Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@Samtian on the bright side...at least no irritation or itchiness was incurred by this one! 

@eshoe That is exactly my train of thought!

@Samtian, good to know. I spied a kiwi version from this line that looked interesting. Taking it out of my cart now โ€ฆ I donโ€™t mind filler masks; I just know of plenty already. 

@itsfi Yep! 

Rainbow masking: Violet Edition

X - rainbow - violet ks.jpg

These two masks have been repeatedly set aside and pushed off for other masks for far too long. Now that I'm quite literally nearing the very end of my pre-2021 sheet masks, I am finally getting to them, which probably means there's a good chance that one or both of these have technically expired (eek!), though @lmaster's recent use of (and good results from) the violet hand mask gives me some hope for that mask. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sheet Mask:
Spoiler
Origins Flower Fusion Violet Nourishing Sheet Mask is a soft, but thicker leaning 100% bamboo sheet full of a clear, slightly viscous and, as touted by the brand, violet-infused and flower wax  liquid. This mask is far from saturated with essence like most sheet masks; I can't be sure whether that's just how Origins designed its masks in this line or if that's a byproduct of my neglecting this mask for some time. I'm also not sure whether that neglect is also the reason the scent on this one reminds me of paint thinner

Adherence was fine, with a standard sheet mask fit that can be adjusted at the chin, and the corners of the eyes and mouth for a more tailored fit. Instructions recommend keeping the mask on for 10 minutes but the scent was too much for me. I thought, maybe more hoped, it would dissipate quickly, like most sheet masks, but sadly for me, that was not the case, and I removed it not long after I made a few incisions here and there to help the mask better fit my face shape and features. This was a big NO for me. A part of me wonders whether I should pick up another one of these Origins Violet masks to give it another try, and that may be something I'm more open to, but if that were to happen, it would be at a much later date. I have new-to-me masks coming in and am looking forward to trying those out as well as incorporating oldies-but-goodies to my summer sheet mask routine.

Ingredients:
Spoiler
from Origins direct:
Water\Aqua\Eau, Butylene Glycol, Bis-Peg-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, Methyl Gluceth-20, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Oil*, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil*, Coriandrum Sativum (Coriander) Fruit Oil*, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil*, Michelia Alba Flower Oil*, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil*, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Viola Odorata Flower/Leaf Extract, Vanillin, Triethyl Citrate, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Hypnea Musciformis (Algae) Extract, Gelidiella Acerosa Extract, Caffeine, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Dimethicone, Squalane, Arginine, Peg-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Trehalose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Carbomer, Hexylene Glycol, Octyldodecanol, Disodium Edta, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol 
* Essential Oil

Hand Mask:
Spoiler
After the Origins Violet mask, I was hoping for a good mask to end the day on, and the Oh K! Intense Moisture Violet Flower Hand Mask delivered. This hand mask is heavily saturated in serum; in fact, when I pulled it out of the packet, it seemed as if some of the serum inside of the mask may have found its way out. Also out of the pocket was a noticeable scent made up of a blend of a powdery, floral scent that reminded me of violets and something else. Looking at the inci list, it's the lavender that tempers the powdery scent and vice versa. I love the scent (and wouldn't mind seeing it in a perfume, lotion, candle, etc.), but it will not be for everyone. It's not overwhelming or potent, but it is very noticeable and it does linger. The mask does contain added fragrance and it's hard to know how much of that (versus the floral extracts) makes up the scent. I left the mask on for 20 minutes and could have left it on longer given the amount of the serum in the mask. My hands felt soft and moisturized after I massaged the rest of the serum into my hands and they continue to feel the same way this morning. This is one I would repurchase, and in fact, already have. [FYI: Ulta is having a Buy Two, Get One Free on these violet hand masks <-- pssst, @lmaster, you may already know about the sale on the hand mask.] The Aveeno Repairing Cica Hand Mask has been my hand mask of choice prior to using this violet one, but to be fair, I've not been very consistent with using a hand mask, though I should given the increased frequency with which I've been washing my hands with soap or hand sanitizer over the course of 15+ months. I also picked up one of those hand masks at the Ulta sale; I'm looking forward to comparing this violet hand mask with that cica one. I don't think there's a wrong choice between those two - my hands will be the ultimate winner. 

Ingredients:
Spoiler
from Ulta:
Water, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Alcohol, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Betaine, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polyacrylate-13, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Polyisobutene, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylhexylglycerin, Saccharomyces/Viscum Album (Mistletoe) Ferment Extract, Viola Tricolor Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Potassium Hydroxide, Centaurea Cyanus Flower Extract, Lactobacillus/Soybean Ferment Extract, Saccharomyces/Imperata Cylindrica Root Ferment Extract, Polysorbate 20, Dimethiconol , Urea, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid,Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance

Yaaaaaaay!! @itsfi so glad you enjoyed the hand mask as much as I did ๐Ÿ™Œ

@lmaster, it was a good one. In my top 2 for hand masks. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ 

Yeah, I was not impressed at all by the lavender Flower Fusion mask a while back, @itsfi. The scent was just overwhelming and the rest of the masking experience did not make up for it. I'm thinking this is a problem across most of that line, but do keep us updated if you decide to try out any of the others. 

@quspork, hearing your experience and @Shosh85โ€™s with the masks from this line makes the idea of giving this one another try less desirable and less likely. I know not all sheet masks are and not everyone feels the same way about a sheet mask but it doesnโ€™t appear as though the other masks in the line would perform significantly better. Weโ€™ll see. The likelihood seems even less likely than before though.

@itsfi  Yuck! Paint thinner?! Good grief, that's even worse than floral! Haha! ๐Ÿ˜‚ I tried a mask from this line a while back and wasn't too fond of it either. Sorry this one was such a bummer!

@Shosh85, ha! It is most definitely worse than the most heady and cloying floral fragrance out there. I was so taken aback by it that I poked my nose into the packet (yes I did!) just to make sure that was what I smelled. Sadly, it was. ๐Ÿ˜” 

@itsfi paint thinner is one of the worst scents I could think of adhering to your facial area. That sounds absolutely awful! Thankfully the OhK! Hand mask more than made up for it. I plan to try that one at some point, it really does sound lovely.

@eshoe, it would never have occurred to me that paint thinner could be a fragrance for a sheet mask! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I think youโ€™d like the Oh K! Violet hand mask! It performs well and the scent really is quite lovely.

Oh my gosh... so many masks! I want to recommend the Sephora collection watermelon after sun mask. they are discontinuing the old one and repackaging it into a new one that is clean. I don't know if they are the same feeling yet, but i really love the original. It not only cools and soothes sunburns, but it also visibly helps them. it helps a lot with me and my sister because we have fair skin and get burnt very easily. Also only $5:00!

Here's the link to both. SEPHORA COLLECTION After-Sun Mask - Watermelon Watermelon  SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Watermelon After Sun Mask 1 Mask 

@MaddyMads511  I've tried the original, and it is so refreshing, especially on a hot day! ๐Ÿ‰โ˜€๏ธ

@MaddyMads511 thank you for the heads up and recommendation!! I have both of these but have not used the clean version yet. I love that there is extra coverage on the dรฉcolletรฉ area. Perfect for the sunburns that inevitably happen!

@MaddyMads511, the original version is such a nice one. I just finished using both of them and will post a more detailed review soon, but the original and clean version have a lot of similarities. One difference is the size, shape and feel of the decollete part of the mask, which is much larger/wider and thicker in the new clean version. ๐Ÿ‰

A cute little panda to meet last weekโ€™s challenge, which was a challenge in itself as my mask drawer is nearly empty! I was very thankful for this little panda gem, and to @Shosh85 for another entertaining theme ๐Ÿ˜„

FE779B85-7F59-49E5-BDEB-7EBDF521DDAA.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Spoiler

On a Friday, too - so the Summer Fridays R + R Mask 2.25 oz/ 64 g  fit in just right ๐Ÿ™‚ This one is nearing the end, unfortunately. I love the scent in this rich, emollient yet gritty (a little harsh, I think). It is so visually appealing as well, with its thick, clear jelly flecked with deep rose and white granules. As I am approaching the end, I am contemplating a repurchase. There are lots of masks that I would repurchase, but donโ€™t for one reason or another. This may fall into that category, unless a solo mini becomes available. This has lasted nearly two years, shifting locations every few months in the hopes that I would remember I had it and use it more frequently...and that is truly more than I intended to say about this one!

The Biossance Balm (cannot tag the pot, maybe it is only in a tube now?) is a love. It reminds me of the Tatcha The Kissu Lip Mask Original in just about every way. I have a small sample of the by Terry Rose which I cannot wait to compare to this one! At any rate, I have temporarily banned myself from lip balm purchases for at least the first month of my no buy because there are categories of products I have actually run out of that take priority. But I would buy all of them if I could. Tubes, jars, pots....I love them all!

Finally the byCien Tuchmaske Splashy Panda. I pulled this one from the MOTM box awhile ago, and it was most definitely a cute little one to try.

0531D902-40BB-4B10-B5EF-52D7DB2E8A15.jpegF93AE2F1-302D-4AC6-8EAE-6827D4D6AD54.jpeg

I felt a bit like I was prepping for a Dia de los Muertos festival! 

One thing I did differently in my routine before applying this mask is use my Violette_Fr Boum-Boum Milk in lieu of mist and toner. WOW. I have found its purpose in my life. I feel like it helped the mask adhere better, and my skin felt positively softened and soothed after my masking. But back to the mask! It had a soft, almost fruity scent that may have been attributed to the prunus serrulata flower extract (Japanese flowering cherry) or the perfume (last ingredient). Either way, it was light and not noticeable one on. The fit was pretty good, and I left it on for a solid 25 minutes before removing. My skin responded well to this, and I really appreciate the opportunity to try it. Thank you to whoever included it in the box! And thank you @lmaster  for all of the work you have put into keeping it active and running. You are amazing!

Ingredients:

Spoiler
223D7607-31EB-40BE-B08F-D703DE3CEFDE.jpeg

โ€ƒ

@eshoe - omg, that panda mask is so cute.

@nuinui933 printed masks kind of get a pass, donโ€™t they? Cuteness makes any less than desirable nuances less noticeable, and I am ok with thatโ˜บ๏ธ

Awwww how cute!! Sounds like you definitely found a pre mask product!! Great idea โ˜บ๏ธ @eshoe 

1 Reply
testing