Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

One more pretty packaging 

IMG_20210614_221112241.jpg

• This is the first time I've used this particular version from the brand
  • This was a black sheet, that was drenched in clear serum
  • Tons extra in the sleeve
  • Scent was fresh and smelled so good!!! Not overwhelming at all!
  • Fit was excellent and stayed adhered the entire time
  • Wear time was 30 minutes
  • I'll gladly use this to help with wrinkles, in terms of results,, nicely hydrated, plump and smooth skin with a bit of moisturizing
  • Normally with this brand, there is lingering tackiness, I didn't wait too long with this one before applying moisturizer, so I'm not sure if it would of had lasting tackiness, sorry!!
  • Would definitely repurchase!!IMG_20210614_221117118.jpg
    Spoiler
    IMG_20210614_221007208.jpg

โ€ƒthe sheet had gold flecks throughout

That does have some pretty packaging, @lmaster. It sounds like the mask worked out nicely as well. 

@quspork I was extremely impressed with this one,, more will be needed ๐Ÿ˜†

@lmaster, this one looks and sounds nice. Definitely a fitting choice for the pretty packaging theme. A fresh scent is always good but especially in spring/summer.

I do like the brand in general @itsfi but this one knocked it out of the park!!

@lmaster  Oh, this one looks and sounds so great! I love that has gold flecks! ๐Ÿคฉ

@Shosh85 this one has to be my favorite from the brand! Hands down!

@lmaster what a luxe touch, the little gold flecks are so pretty! Makes me want to search out this brand again!

@eshoe this one is awesome!! By far my favorite yet from the brand

Closing out last week's letter theme with an X for x-factor in the fight against maskne: propolis

X - x-factor maskne.jpg

The last 12-15 months have involved an on-off battle with maskne. Over the course of that time, I've found that there are certain ingredients that my skin responds very well to in that hopefully coming to a close fight against maskne. The two most helpful ones for me are propolis / honey and centella asiatica. These coupled with a salicylic acid serum for spot treating an area or a few spots like Paula's Choice BHA 9 Serum, a clay mask, an oil with anti-inflammatory properties like horse oil (thank you so much for that recommendation @heartsmyface), and acne patches like Peace Out Squad Acne Dots have worked well for reducing the size of pimples, getting rid of them faster, and healing acne scars and reducing discoloration / PIH from it.  

Wash Off Mask:
Spoiler
Innisfree Pore Clearing Clay Mask is easy to apply, dries down but doesn't get hard and tight. There's volcanic ash and lactic acid  in this mask that helps with the clogged pores along my jawline and nose. Additionally, when used as a spot treatment, it gently slurps up excess oil without drying the skin and helps to reduce the size of a pimple. It doesn't work as quickly as reducing the zit as say GlamGlow SuperMud but it's also a lot less drying than that product. 
Sheet Mask:
Spoiler
Missha Mascure Solution Sheet Mask Propolis is a mask that many of the maskers here have enjoyed using. Though late to the party, I'm happy to have the opportunity to try it out, all courtesy of our fabulous @Shosh85.  This "PT cell sheet" is covered but not saturated in a milky-cream liquid having a consistency between an ampoule and an emulsion, and a scent that resembles a blend of essential oils more than honey. I only pick up the very faintest bit of honey sweetness. There's extra in the packet as well. 

Material - PT cell sheet:
The mask advertises that it is made of a special derm sheet, which made me curious as to the material, so I did a little more research and learned that it is mascure PT cell sheet. I wasn't able to find much on "mascure" other than google inquiring whether I mean to look for massacre, which I assuredly did not. LOL. Makes me wonder if that is something proprietary because a search of that term yields masks from this Missha line. "PT cell sheet" seems to be a more generic term and used by other Kbeauty brands, including Mediheal; it stands for phase transition cell sheet. The "phase transition" seems to refer to the technology or process used to create the comfortable cellulose sheet mask. 

Adherence & Fit:
It's not super thin, but I'd describe it as slightly thinner than your standard medium thick sheet. Adherence is good and fit is near perfect - the only adjustment I made was to fold up about an inch of the material at the chin. 

Results:
After 30 minutes, my face still has a lot of serum on top of it though it absorbs quickly and without tack or stickiness when I press and pat it into my skin. Once the serum is fully absorbed, my skin feels soothed and nourished with a nice bounce to it, and it looks slightly brighter. Just the T.L.C. my skin needs. Thank you @Shosh85 for sending this one my way! I'm eyeing the ceramide one from this line next. ๐Ÿ˜‰
innisfree Pore Clearing Clay Mask 3.38 oz/ 100 mL 
Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting BHA 9 Treatment 0.3 oz/ 9 mL 

@itsfi  Love all the products you used here! That BHA 9 is the best! 

I'm happy to hear the sheet mask worked out well for you! I really loved the serum in it. ๐Ÿ˜Š

@Shosh85, it's surprising how that BHA9 serum can be so effective without drying out my skin. ๐Ÿ˜ Loved propolis before and my love for it just grew by leaps and bounds during the pandemic. As much as I love it, I'm very much hoping that I'll need to incorporate it into my routine with a lot less frequency now. ๐Ÿคž

@itsfi I wonder if there has been a spike in acne dot sales over the past year. It certainly seems like they have been in more frequent rotation around here, unfortunately! 

@eshoe, I would not be surprised at all if there was a huge uptick in 2020 and this first half of the year in acne dot purchases and demand. ๐Ÿ™„ I know for myself, I was going through them at an alarming rate at one point. Ugh. 

A couple more masks with cute packaging; this time with a honey bear theme.

JellyFRIEN Honey Bear Silky Skin MaskJellyFRIEN Honey Bear Silky Skin MaskJelllyFRIEN Honey Bear Silky Skin Pearl MaskJelllyFRIEN Honey Bear Silky Skin Pearl Mask

Sheet Masks:

Spoiler
Similarities:

The material on both the JellyFRIEN Honey Bear Silky Skin Mask and the JellyFRIEN Honey Bear Silky Skin Pearl Mask leans thicker than your standard sheet mask and both are overly large all around. The openings for the eyes and mouth are also larger than most sheet masks which is good for me, but I still need to make some incisions to the inner corner of the eye hold and the corners of the mouth opening for a better fit. 

The cellulose fiber mask is drenched in a jelly like serum, having a very faint honey scent. The scent is really very subtle, you can miss it if you're not looking for it. I thought it was more noticeable in the pearl mask. The mask feels cooling and comforting against the skin. 

Differences:

The regular honey bear mask claims to provide a "nourishing glow and moist resilience." On the other hand, the honey bear pearl mask is said to yield a "nutritious glow and moisturizing tone-up". The actual words used in the mask's claims are different but I'm not sure they're actually saying anything different. Based on the name of the masks, I assumed that the honey bear pearl mask would provide more brightening effects. Results-wise, it did. It also turned out to be the more nourishing mask of the two, which surprised me. 

Overall Thoughts

The jelly serum in these masks is great for those with dry or dehydrated skin. The JellyFRIEN Honey Bear Silky Skin Pearl Mask performed better at hydrating and moisturizing the skin, while also providing a more noticeable brightening effect. I've since discovered 2 more varietals in this line - a green apple version and a carrot version. That latter sounds very interesting in that I would not think to pair carrots and honey in a mask. Of the two masks here though, the pearl mask is the one I would (and will) repurchase. 

Hair Care:

Spoiler
The limited edition Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! Honey Moisture Deep Conditioning Mask is my favorite of the Briogeo hair masks - it detangles, hydrates, moisturizes, soften and smooths the hair. It also smells deliciously of honey making the entire hair masking experience that much more enjoyable.  

Lip Care:

Spoiler
The lip balms and lip sleeping masks from Laneige are ones that I can't help picking up. If I'm masking in the mornings and am not otherwise rushed, I like to use the lip blowy balms to soften and hydrate my lips before applying lipstick. If there's something I wish the Laneige Lip Glowy Balm Peach had was a more pronounced peach scent. 

The Sephora Collection Honey Lip Scrub is my favorite product from the original or clean line of the lip balm and scrubs - its a scrub and balm in one and makes multi-tasking easy breezy. It seems like Sephora may phase out the original SC products, including this lip scrub; I haven't seen it online or in any stores in a loooong time, and it makes sense to phase out the original version now that the clean line is here, though it seems as, at least as far as the sheet masks and lip balms and scrubs are concerned, the better version seems to be the original one. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a similar honey scrub make its debut within Sephora's clean line, but I'm hopeful that will be the case one day. Until then, I'll work through the multiple backups of the honey lip scrub that I've purchased through the years. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair!โ„ข Honey Moisture Deep Conditioning Mask 8 oz/ 236 mL 

LANEIGE Lip Glowy Balm Peach 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Lip Balm & Scrub Honey 

@itsfi  That Honey Bear Hair Mask is still my most favorite one I've tried..... they seriously need to make it permanent!

The descriptions of these sheet masks definitely sound the same, just worded differently. I wouldn't have expected the Pearl one to be more nourishing either. It sounds wonderful!

@Shosh85, completely agree. I've seen Briogeo bring the honey bear hair mask back on more occasions than before, so that makes me even more hopeful that it could be part of the permanent lineup. In my mind, it's their best selling mask, or possibly best selling hair product in their entire collection period.

I thought the pearl version of the sheet mask would just provide more brightening results, but nope, it was also more nourishing. Odd, but it makes it easy for me to decide which to repurchase. ๐Ÿ˜

I had to double check that mask, the edges make it deliciously similar to a bag of sweet treats, @itsfi! Iโ€™ve added it to my list, though maybe for winter time. I love the bold and italic highlights, too - very helpful ๐Ÿ™‚

@eshoe, these masks would work beautifully in the winter months when our skin generally leans on the drier side with the cold weather. The attention to detail with the packaging is a nice touch.

@itsfi Those are super cute!

@Samtian, I know right?!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I had forgotten that I had them until a couple of months, and have been saving them towards the end. These work nicely too so thatโ€™s always a plus! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ 

1 Reply
testing