Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@Shosh85, completely agree. I've seen Briogeo bring the honey bear hair mask back on more occasions than before, so that makes me even more hopeful that it could be part of the permanent lineup. In my mind, it's their best selling mask, or possibly best selling hair product in their entire collection period.

I thought the pearl version of the sheet mask would just provide more brightening results, but nope, it was also more nourishing. Odd, but it makes it easy for me to decide which to repurchase. ๐Ÿ˜

I had to double check that mask, the edges make it deliciously similar to a bag of sweet treats, @itsfi! Iโ€™ve added it to my list, though maybe for winter time. I love the bold and italic highlights, too - very helpful ๐Ÿ™‚

@eshoe, these masks would work beautifully in the winter months when our skin generally leans on the drier side with the cold weather. The attention to detail with the packaging is a nice touch.

@itsfi Those are super cute!

@Samtian, I know right?!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I had forgotten that I had them until a couple of months, and have been saving them towards the end. These work nicely too so thatโ€™s always a plus! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ 

Last one for the cute packaging theme ๐Ÿ˜Š

0CED571A-05AD-4010-A6F8-2ADBDB0EEFB5.jpeg

Spoiler

PACKage Don't Worry Healing Sheet Mask

Material:

Medium thickness cotton, but soft and flexible

Serum:

Clear and a little viscous, almost like a thin jelly

Scent:

Not really any scent, but if I stuck my nose right up to the package I think I could smell something kind of leafy

Fit:

A little too long at the chin and a teensy bit too wide at the temples

Wear Time:

Half hour

Tack:

None

Results:

My skin tone looked more even and my face felt soft and smooth, but just a little dry - which I thought was a little surprising with those ingredients.

Repurchase?

Probably not, but I'm interested to try it again I see if I get those same results again. It was a decent mask and I like that it reduced some redness, but didn't like that it made me a little dry.

E8D0C176-DF15-4126-AEC7-5A26B9DD7DFE.jpeg

This would make a really cute embroidered baseball cap, or printed tee, @Shosh85

@eshoe  It's really such a sweet picture and I like that it says "Don't worry." A t-shirt would be great!

@Shosh85, I really like the packaging on this one; it has a gentle calming feel to it. The ingredients list looks really good too, and like you, I'm surprised that it left your skin a little dry with all the humectants in the serum. Hmmm... ๐Ÿค” I can see how you would pick up a leafy scent based on the inci list.

@itsfi  The artwork is just so sweet and simple ๐Ÿ˜Š Considering the ingredients, I really expected the results to be better. I will most likely try it again just to see if maybe this was one of those one-off experiences. 

Cute packaging ๐Ÿ˜Š

IMG_20210609_201731867.jpg

• Medium thickness sheet
  • Fit was too long at forehead and chin, snipping the extra material would of been beneficial
  • Adherence was good except around the chin area
  • Scent was predominantly honey
  • The serum was clear and somewhat thicker, borderline jelly texture
  • Wear time was 20 minutes
  • Not super impressive results, a bit hydrated and soothed, would classify as a filler mask
  • Tackiness was none at all
  • I wouldn't repurchase this version, but I would purchase other troll versions to compareIMG_20210609_201736756.jpg

โ€ƒ

@lmaster  It's definitely cute, and I love that it smelled like honey, but it's too bad the results weren't more impressive ๐Ÿ˜•

@Shosh85 I should of applied some serum first, then placed the sheet over it, I didn't realize the sheet wasn't adequately drenched ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Turmeric and honey sound like such a great blend, @lmaster. Bummer that it wasnโ€™t as spectacular as it looks!

Looking back @eshoe I should of grabbed some extra serum from the package and applied it after I took the sheet off,,, lol always think of what I should of done,,, too late ๐Ÿ˜ฃ

Oh @lmaster I know what you mean. I get annoyed with a mask that refuses to stay put, forgetting all about my silicone mask holder๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

@lmaster, the scent on this one sounds wonderful; I'm down for a good honey-scented mask. ๐Ÿฏ It being too long at the forehead might actually work well for me. ๐Ÿ˜† The packaging is super fun! I looked at the ones from this collection but held off on them to work through my stash. 

I found this pack a few months ago at marshalls,, they didn't have much newness, but I had a $10 reward that was itching to be spent @itsfi ๐Ÿ˜†

A couple of cutely illustrated packaging, each with a X for XOY

X - cute packaging - XOY calendula.jpgX - cute packaging - XOY Milk Cream.jpg

This isn't so much of a duel as I used both of these masks earlier in the week and thought I would share my thoughts on them in one post.
Spoiler
Mask:XOY Calendula MaskXOY Milk Cream Mask
Material:Soy Bean Velvet Mask - soft, thin, stretchy mask that feels comfy and cozy and adheres well Soy Bean Velvet Mask - soft, thin, stretchy mask that feels comfy and cozy and adheres well
Fit:
Good - openings for the eyes and mouth are wide enough; adjustments needed to help the material lay flat against the skin. A little too long at the chin and too short at the forehead so those irregularities cancel each other out with a pair of scissors. Good - openings for the eyes and mouth are wide enough; adjustments needed to help the material lay flat against the skin. A little too long at the chin and too short at the forehead so those irregularities cancel each other out with a pair of scissors. 
Essence / Serum:Clear, unscented, slightly viscous liquid (standard for sheet masks). Lots of it in the mask and extra in the packet.Milky, creamy and slightly thin but not runny. Mask holds a lot of this emulsion-like serum and there's extra in the packet as well.
Claim(s):Soothing and moisturizingBrightening and moisturizing
Performance & Results:The calendula mask does what it claims as far as soothing and calming go, though I felt it was more hydrating than moisturizing. The mask was still damp when I removed it after 30 minutes; the essence that remained after removal was quickly absorbed, without any tack or stickiness. My skin was left feeling hydrated and with a slightly brighter, fresh-faced, semi-matte appearance. The mask satisfies its moisturizing claim beautifully. My skin felt nourished after having the mask on for 30 minutes. The brightening effect comes from skin being hydrated and moisturized - it's less strobe light bright and more like a healthy, glowy radiance.
My Two Cents:This would make a great mask after a day outdoors - it's very refreshing and calming. It would also be a great mask to keep on hand for some post-sunburn T.L.C.This is a dream mask for those with dry skin or for all skin types in the cold winter months. The softness of the material just feels like a nourishing blanket for the face, infusing hydration and moisture to the skin, leaving it healthy, happy and with a dewy glow. 

Will I Repurchase?:Probably. I enjoyed the soothing and hydrating results from the mask, and I would be happy to use it if I had it, but I'd like to try more calendula - centered sheetAbsolutely, if it was still available. Discontinued? Seems like the story of my masking life.  

Hair Care
Spoiler
If you just went by how the product looked in the jar, you'd think the Better Not Younger Hair Redemption Restorative Butter Masque had a thick, rich cream consistency, but once you pick up some of the product, you'd realize the texture feels more like lightweight, but rich, whipped butter. The scent, which reminds me of a powdery smelling lotion, takes a little getting used to, but isn't nearly as potent as other hair masks I've used with a similar fragrance.  It works well as a detangler and makes my hair feel soft, smooth and shiny when used as a hair mask or applied lightly as a leave-in conditioner on just the length of my hair. 
Lip Care:
Spoiler
L'Occitane Delicious Lip Scrub - Marmalade Kiss is, in fact, delicious, both with its fruity, citrusy scent and sweet, fruity taste. The granules in this one do a nice job of exfoliating, softening and smoothing lips. 

The Ciate Lip Oils are wonderful. This Ciate London Burst Hydrating Lip Oil Yuzu & Grapefruit  flavor smells yummy and hydrate my lips while imparting a nice sheen to them. 

Trader Joe's Almond Cream Moisturizing Lip Balm is a no-muss, no-fuss lip balm, great to keep in my work bag or at my desk at work, to have on hand for those off days when I don't have at least an half dozen balms scattered about my handbag. lol 
Better Not Younger Hair Redemption Butter Masque 6.8 oz/ 200 mL 

@itsfi  Both of those sheet masks sound great, but especially the Milk Cream one - so of course it's discontinued โ˜น๏ธ

Does the Trader Joe's lip balm have a scent?

@Shosh85, the saga of the discontinued sheet masks continues . . . ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ  I am hoping that with a more edited sheet mask collection (and with fewer packs of 10) that I will get to masks more quickly and as a result will be looking to repurchase closer to the time of my initial purchase when maaaayyybe the sheet mask is more readily available (i.e., not so much time has passed since I first picked up a mask for it to be discontinued).  Like I said, I'm hoping for that to be the case. We shall see. ๐Ÿคž

The TJ lip balm came in a set of 6 during the holidays. All the flavors have a mild scent to them but I think this almond cream balm has the lightest / subtlest scent. To me, it smells more like cream, with maybe a hint of almond extract. A friend of mine said that the almond one smells mildly like almond paste. 

11 Replies
testing