Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@lmaster  Yeah, it wasn't a very delightful experience for me ๐Ÿ˜

A full face pore strip???? @Shosh85 um... no.  wow.  I have a Betterskin mask that is in my 4 left over masks that I pulled out to use up for my miscellaneous may masks... I can't decide now if I should just open it and give it a shot tonight to get it over with or not.  I think it's a different shade of yellow so I may need to do a closer read of the package.  I'm so thankful for the warning either way.  

@missjeanie @itsfi  I've tried the yellow (detoxing) one too, and it was much better! It's not a clay mask and is also biocellulose, so no full-face Biore strip effect ๐Ÿ˜‰

Spoiler
1CEE0B47-AD3E-49F9-B98A-4F06BEB0D67E.jpeg

@Shosh85 yes!  This is the one I found in my stash.  I decided against a detox since the clay sounded so harsh last night.  Maybe next week lol. 

@Shosh85 @missjeanie, my pavlov's dog reaction to hearing "full face Biore strip effect" is to touch my hand to my cheeks with a worried look on my face. ๐Ÿ™„ Biocellulose has never sounded better! ๐Ÿ˜‚ I took a pic of the clay one you used Shosh and wrote a big ol' "NO" on it, along with "full face Biore strip". We've all been sufficiently warned! 

@itsfi  Bahahaha! ๐Ÿ˜‚ It really should come with a warning label! ๐Ÿ˜†

@missjeanie, oh goodness! I misread part of your post - โ€œmiscellaneous may maskโ€ turned into โ€œmischievous may maskโ€ and I just laughed and laughed. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Then I thought, โ€œoh, that could be a fun theme!โ€ ๐Ÿ˜ I think there are several different masks from this brand because I feel like I would remember and wince at a face version of a Biore strip  - similar color blocking pattern as the one @Shosh85 used but with different shades of yellow, maybe? ๐Ÿค” 

@itsfi Yes!  I looked at it was a bit more on the orange side, but the same look to the mask for sure.  The one I had wasn't a clay or a two piece.  It shall be saved for another day.  

Oh yikes, @Shosh85! That looks like one I may have sent you and if so, I am so, so sorry๐Ÿ˜• I did use this one recently and thought it would be like the biocell exfoliating mask but it was indeed clay. I hope your skin isnโ€™t too ๐Ÿ˜ก!!!

@eshoe  Oh, you're so sweet, but this one wasn't from you - I actually got it in a Facetory sub!
My skin is doing fine, it was mostly just really dry. Nothing a good moisturizer can't fix ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Whew @Shosh85 ๐Ÿ˜ฅ! That must be where I received mine from, too. It didnโ€™t affect my skin the same way, thankfully. I do remember when I used it, realizing that there were two protective layers, not just one; and that I have been leaving one layer on with other clay sheet masks๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ Still learning masking lessons, it never stops!

@Shosh85, this is one I wondered about but now I wonder no more. Yikes! ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ฌ It started off sounding good with it being a 2-piece mask but then I got to your โ€œright, dry and uncomfortableโ€ comment and ummm... NO. Just no. Iโ€™m all for the Biore strip for my nose, not the entire face. Ack! So sorry you had to go through this. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ I donโ€™t think your husband will agree with me but I think this horrible experience calls for ice cream ๐Ÿจ, a solid mask haul ๐Ÿ›, and a new kitchen gadget! ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

@itsfi  Oh my gosh, your comment at the end totally made me laugh out loud! ๐Ÿ˜‚ ....... My husband wouldn't agree to the kitchen gadgets, but he'd definitely agree to the ice cream, and he might agree to the mask haul as long as there's some butt masks included! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜†

@Shosh85, hahaha! 2 out of 3, eh?! ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคจ  We will get you another kitchen gadget at some point, Shosh! Maybe something on the smallish side. Hide it among a pile of sheet (and butt - lol) masks and hope he wonโ€™t notice??! ๐Ÿคช Hahaha! Since Crate and Barrel now seems to be selling sheet masks, we just need it to stock ice cream and it can be one stop shopping for this new goal. ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi  Hahaha! I'm all about the one-stop shopping! .... if only C&B sold ice cream, if only. ๐Ÿ˜†

@Shosh85, this was the closest thing I could find for ice cream at C&B:

itsfi_0-1622578466482.png

There were smaller ice cream makers available, but wouldn't it be better if the Shosh85 household had more ice cream rather than less ice cream?! ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

@itsfi  Oh my gosh, you're awesome! We do own an ice cream maker, but this one looks so much fancier!
My husband actually eats way more ice cream than I do, which is funny, because he's lactose intolerant ๐Ÿ˜†

Hahaha! Oh @Shosh85, that is funny in more ways than one. I tell people that "I'm lactose intolerant but ice cream is fine." ๐Ÿ˜‚ I get the strangest looks. I understand where your husband is coming from. It's ice cream!!! 

It's time for a sheet mask duel! With a V for veggie, vegan-certified mask material, and vying for top lotus root sheet mask honors. ๐Ÿ˜† Which will be victorious?!!
Sheet Mask Duel - Lotus Root .jpg

About lotus root:

Lotus root is rich in iron, potassium, copper, thiamin, zinc and vitamins B and C. Growing up, my parents would include this vegetable in soup and various stir fry dishes. You can also find it as a side dish and in "chip" form. In addition to its health benefits, this veggie is also known to help balance sebum production while plumping, brightening, hydrating and moisturizing skin. That sounds like a lot, but all good results. I was pleased to have two different lotus root centered sheet masks to put those claims to the test. Let's see how they fared. 

The Match Up:
Spoiler
Mask:Skinfood Lotus Root Sous Vide Mask SheetInnisfree Jeju Root Energy Mask - Lotus Root
Material:Soft, lightweight, thin, vegan-certified, cotton Soft, thin, biodegradable, vegan-certified microfiber; more weighty feel to material than Skinfood mask
SerumEmulsion - milky, liquid-cream consistency. Dripping when mask is initially removed from pouch.Ampoule - clear, slightly viscous essence. Dripping when mask is initially removed from pouch.
Scent:Fresh, clean "sheet mask" scentClean, fresh, earthy and plant-like scent
Adherence:GoodGood
Fit:Fine; a few adjustments needed for a more tailored fit. Material for upper lip area is much smaller / thinner than most sheet masks.Fine; fit could be made to work with what are my typical sheet mask adjustments - at the chin/jawline and to the corners of the openings for the eyes and mouth.  Material for upper lip area leans slightly larger than most sheet masks.
Claims(s):Moisturizing; plumping and brighteningSmoothing and firming / plumping
Performance & Results (after 30 minutes of wear)Skin has a slight tack to it once the mask was removed. Tack dissipates quickly, leave skin hydrated, lightly moisturized and more bouncy. As for its brightening claims, I wouldn't say my complexion looked like a disco ball, but it did have a noticeably brighter, fresh faced glow to it that looked lovely under my sunscreen and BB creamTacky-to-the touch feel to skin after removing the mask that dissipates fairly quickly. Skin feels hydrated and moisturized (more so than with Skinfood mask) and has a firmness and bounce to it. Complexion looked smooth, clear and brightened the next morning. Would make a good primer mask.
Best suited for:Normal, combo, dry and dehydrated skin types. Those would oily skin might like this one during the cooler seasons. All skin types, though those with very oily skin may find the consistency and amount of the ampoule base to be too much for all but cooler seasons. 
Repurchase-worthy?:YesYes
Who Wins The Duel? (Scroll to bottom if you don't want to read the blow-by-blow comparison):
Spoiler
The fit, feel, and performance of both lotus root sheet masks are nearly identical. The main difference between these two was in the weight of the material, the type of serum and how moisturizing I found each to be. Of those three elements, Skinfood had a slight edge over the Innisfree mask by virtue of the material having a lighter, more airy feel against the skin (though that is not to say that the Innisfree one was really heavy, just heavier than the Skinfood mask). 

As for the type of serum, my knee jerk reaction would be that I would prefer the milky emulsion (emulsion, autocorrect, not emotion! lol) of the Skinfood mask but I found both the serum types in the Skinfood and the Innisfree masks worked beautifully for me. In terms of scent, I'm very much becoming accustomed to and looking forward to the herb/plant scent in the Innisfree mask, but if it's just initial preference, I'd go with the Skinfood scent. 

Finally, that brings us to the results, which were really similar. The Innisfree mask provides more hydration and moisture, noticeably more upon removing the mask and in the final results, giving the Skinfood mask a more universal reach across skin types, but making the Innisfree mask more loved by someone like me with skin that currently leans dehydrated-dry. 

Overall, that's Skinfood with 2 factors in its favor (material and scent of serum) and 1 in Innisfree's favor (results). The advantage that the Skinfood mask over the Innisfree one is very slight and the particular factors are not deal breakers for me with these two masks. While both masks had similar results, the Innisfree one stood out more to me as one I'd reach for more often throughout the year. Neither would be enough to moisturize my skin on their own, but the Innisfree one comes closer to moisturizing my skin more effectively. 

So, the winner, or since it's V week, the victor of this duel is . . . 
Innisfree

I must be living in a hole,,, I've never ever heard of lotus root! @itsfi it looks so cool ๐Ÿ˜† what does it taste like??

@lmaster, you're not living in a hole. It's a much more popular veggie in Asia and here, it's really only found in some Asian grocery stores. 

1 Reply
testing