Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Good for you @missjeanie๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ And especially one with glitter๐Ÿ˜‚ 

Every year is different, some are haul heavy and others empties, and while others are...rather quiet ๐Ÿฆ—๐Ÿฆ—๐Ÿฆ—?

Anything good enough for your face can work well enough elsewhere;)

2019 and early 2020 were heavy mask haul times for this gal @eshoe !  I have slipped and ordered a couple this year (okay maybe more than a couple but only two orders!!!!).  I've noticed there are a few people on BIC trying to use up stashes though so it's keeping me motivated!

THE GLITTER!!! lol I almost said forget it then figured hey.... life's just a bit more interesting with some glitter in your bedsheets??? lol

You know, @missjeanie - that time frame was really so much fun for masking. A lot of exploration, blunders, and just plain fun. The bestโ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ’—

You're absolutely right @eshoe !

@itsfi @The bum masks are so funny. I agree they do hydrate - I feel like no sheet mask can really lift in one use ! 

@Kim888, I've tried a couple of sheet masks (for the face) that, after one use, have provided some firming in certain areas, temporary as those results may be. For the most part though, it's a result that I think is more likely to be noticeable after using a sheet mask on a regular basis. Not sure if my bum is ready for more regular use of butt masks. lol. They are cooling though so consistent use may be called for when it gets really warm. ๐Ÿ˜†

Posting some of last week's "T" masks while I have on my first "U" mask for this week. It's a multi-tasking Monday. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚

Some more "T" masks from last weekSome more "T" masks from last week

tl;dr: The AM Piggyhead hot springs mask, Tula exfoliating mask and the %Dr. Ceuracle tea tree masks were the standouts of this group. innisfree Tangerine Brightening & Pore-Refining Sleeping Mask 3.38 oz/ 100 mL is nice, but I have to make a bigger dent in my sleeping mask collection before I pick up another one. ๐Ÿ˜„

T for thermal springs, Taiwan, and tangerine: ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ผ๐ŸŠ

Spoiler
Sleeping Mask:
Spoiler
Innisfree Tangerine Brightening and Pore-Refining Sleeping Mask has an off-white pearlescent hue and a consistency that has a slightly more liquid feel to it than a gel moisturizer. There are tiny granules in the gel-like moisturizer that you can feel as you spread the product over the face - they're gentle, not harsh, but because of these exfoliating granules, I would not recommend using this sleeping mask every day. The faint scent has a citrus bent to it and is pleasant.  Those with dry skin will find that the mask sinks into the skin smoothly and quickly; it may take more time to absorb if you have normal or oily skin. This overnight mask does leave an initial tack when applied so it's best to let it set before calling it a night. With just a couple of uses from this foil sample, I can't really say how effective this mask is for getting rid of dark spots or discoloration, but a thin layer as the last step of your evening skincare routine is all that is needed for soft, smooth, fresh-faced, healthy looking, dewy skin the next morning. 
Sheet Mask
Spoiler
T is for thermal springs (aka hot springs) - a stretch, but if you're not buying that, then I'll take a T for Taiwan, as this mask is made in Taiwan 
Mask:AM Piggyhead Beitou Hot Springs Hydrating Firming Mask
Material:Silk (and it feels that way too - soft, smooth and super thin)

Adherence & Fit:
Standard = slightly too large all around (1" to 1-1/2" too long at chin / jawline; 1/4" - 1/2" too wide at the temples, too much material over the nose bridge; and the openings for eyes and mouth are too narrow)
Adherence: Excellent. It clung gently and securely to my face for the entire half hour. No bunching or lifting, though to be fair, I rarely experience either with the sheet masks that I've used.

Fit: Good; I was able to make all my tweaks to the size and shape of the mask by hand. This mask has several pre-cut slits strategically placed to both help with adherence and to allow for easier adjustment to the mask, which I made to the extra material at the chin and to widen the openings for the eyes and mouth. Width-wise, it's perfect. 
Essence / Serum:
Mask is drenched and dripping in a clear, thin, watery, runny essence that has a very light, fresh scent that I would initially describe as non-descript, but if pressed on it, would probably say the scent reminds me of what I imagine water to smell like if water had a scent.
Like most sheet masks, it dissipates completely and is only detectable when I put my nose into the packet for closer inspection.

The dripping can be a problem as it continued for almost the entire 30 minutes of wear, which makes mult-tasking with this mask a challenge. I ended up lying down and wrapping a towel around my neck to soak up the runny essence. There's extra essence in the packet to reapply to the sheet mask or to apply to other parts of the body. 

Claim(s):
Hydrating and firming

Notable Ingredients:* Aloe leaf juice: soothing; anti-inflammatory

* hyaluronic acid: hydrating; helps skin retain moisture

* rose water: hydrating; balances skin's natural oils

* oat extract: calming; anti-inflammatory

* collagen: elasticity; firming

Performance & Results:
While I didn't care for how drippy the essence on this mask was, the results from it were amazing - redness from a couple of blemishes looked less noticeable and my complexion looked dewy and bright. My skin felt very hydrated and had a bouncy plumpness to it as well.

My Two Cents:This is a great mask for the price. The sheer amount of essence, runny as it may be, makes this a nice choice year round for those with dehydrated skin. Oilier skin types may find the amount of essence to be too much and should wring out some of the excess before applying to the face.

For me, the results and the pre-cut slits make this mask a frontrunner for a travel mask. Hydration is great and there's no need for mini-scissors which make it less likely that TSA may stop and ask me about them - "oh, but they're for my sheet masks" can only work so many times, you know?!

Will I Repurchase?:Very likely, but first, I'd like to try a few other masks from this line. 

T is for tea, green tea to be exact: ๐Ÿต

Spoiler
Mask:Farmskin Superfood Green Tea Soothing Mask
Material:Super thin cotton made from eucalyptus wood (basically, Tencel)
Adherence & Fit:
Standard = slightly too large all around (1" to 1-1/2" too long at chin / jawline; 1/4" - 1/2" too wide at the temples, too much material over the nose bridge; and the openings for eyes and mouth are too narrow)
Adherence: Good

Fit: Standard, except for width, which was perfect.
Essence / Serum:Clear, slightly viscous serum. The scent on this threw me - there was a somewhat chemical scent to it coming out of the packet. When worn, I pick up at different times, both a faint, clean, fresh, slightly herbaceous scent that is pleasant but not overwhelming, and a plastic-like scent that while not terribly strong, is noticeable enough and not at all what I would consider a nice scent.

Claim(s):
Soothing

Notable Ingredients:* Green tea (6th ingredient listed): soothing; calming; antioxidant and anti-inflammatory

* Hydrators: beta-glucan; hyaluronic acid

Performance & Results:Skin feels fresh, hydrated and moisturized. Soothes skin irritations (at least temporarily) and leaves complexion with a fresh faced glow. 

My Two Cents:I'm conflicted about this one - the ingredients, feel and results from the mask are all good. The scent, however, is definitely not something I cared for, particularly as that plastic-like scent is noticeable while wearing the mask. Not sure if this might have been an errant mask as far as the scent goes.

Will I Repurchase?:Maybe. The Farmskin masks from this line typically come in sets so I might pick up a set with this green tea mask in it. It would be interesting to see if the chemical and plastic scent is how this mask smells or if the one I used was just off. 

T is for Tula and Tea Tree: ๐Ÿƒ  

Spoiler
Wash Off Mask:
Spoiler
The few, fine, tiny exfoliating granules scattered throughout this light blue-hued bentonite-and-kaolin-clay-and-lactic-acid based Tula Exfoliating Mask makes it feel more like a combo scrub-mask. The mask is lightweight but has a slight paste-like feel to it. Instructions call for leaving the mask on for 5 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water and massaging the product (and the granules) in a circular motion, which provides for a manual exfoliation in addition to the chemical one from the lactic acid. I felt a very slight tingling upon applying the mask onto my skin but it disappeared almost as instantaneously as it was initially felt.  My skin felt soft and looked clear, bright, and smooth after removing the mask. dryness or tightness, which is a plus with clay based exfoliating masks. This would make a good weekly treatment all over the face or as a spot treatment over pesky blemishes.
Sheet Mask:
Spoiler
tl;dr: Darkness from post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation as well as redness from breakouts appear to be diminished after an half hour of wear.  Skin feels soft, smooth and cool to the touch, and looks fresh, clear and beautifully brightened and dewy, making it a fabulous primer mask before applying makeup.  This is a wonderful mask; one worth keeping in the mask library at all times.

Mask:% Dr. Ceuracle Tea Tree Purifine Soothing Mask  

Material:100% biodegradable eucalyptus fiber - it's essentially Tencel, but this leans just slightly thicker than most Tencel masks I've used - that is not at all to say this is a thick mask.
Adherence & Fit:
Standard = slightly too large all around: 1" to 1-1/2" too long at chin/jawline; 1/4" - 1/2" too wide at temples; too much material over the nose bridge; and the openings for eyes and mouth are too narrow.
Adherence: Beautiful. Mask rested comfortably against my skin; and softly hugged its curves and contours.

Fit: Standard
Essence / Serum:Clear, viscous, gel-like serum with a faint tea tree scent tempered by a blend of plant and floral fragrances. Scent becomes undetectable once mask is applied to the face.'
Claim(s):Soothing, hydrating and evens tone

Notable Ingredients:* Niacinamide (4th ingredient): brightening

* Centella asiatica extract (8th): healing, soothing, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, moisturizing

* Allantoin (17th): soothing

* Tea Tree extract (5ppm): helps treat acne; anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-fungal; 
interestingly, it's either the 3rd to last or last ingredient listed depending on which inci list you're looking at - ohlollyl's website lists it as the 3rd to last ingredient, but on the reverse side of the packet, it's the very last ingredient listed. 

Performance & Results:Oh. This is a very noice mask! Very noice!! 

The mask wore comfortably for the entire half hour wear time. Slight tack remains for about 10 minutes after the serum is completely absorbed. Skin feels soft, smooth and cool to the touch; looks fresh, clear and beautifully brightened and dewy. Darkness from post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation as well as redness from 2 unwelcome zits appear to be diminished. 

My Two Cents:The fresh faced radiance from this mask makes me want to use it as a skincare primer before applying makeup. This is a tea tree mask that I would keep on hand - a new (and fabulous) standard for evaluating sheet masks, courtesy of the brilliant @Shosh85!

Will I Repurchase?:Yes; without hesitation. And, at full price too. 

@itsfi  Both the Ceuracle mask and the AM Piggyhead masks sound wonderful! Repurchasing that Ceuracle mask definitely seems like a no-brainer ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ™Œ

The Farmskin Salad masks are nice - perfect everyday masks. Too bad about the plastic scent though! It's been awhile since I've tried this one, but I didn't mention any plastic smell in my notes - so now I really want to go see if I have another one so I can do some re-sniffing! ๐Ÿ‘ƒ

@Shosh85, of the 3 varietals in the Dr. Ceuracle sheet masks, I like 2 a lot - propolis one and this tea tree one. The hyaluronic acid one is good too, but the propolis and tea tree masks stand out. ๐Ÿ˜ I really like a few of their skincare products too (including their propolis line) so I may pick up more masks when a skincare haul is in order. Or, I may just pick up the sheet masks on their own - hahaha! 

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened with the Farm Skin sheet mask; it's the first time I've picked up a "plastic" scent from that brand. Re-sniffing. ๐Ÿ‘ƒ Love it. ๐Ÿ˜† If you do have another mask from Farm Skin and use it, I'd be very interested in hearing whether yours has a plastic smell to it or if this one was just a one-off (likely). 

@itsfi another T for Twinning with @Shosh85 for the tea masks ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ™Œ

@lmaster @itsfi  Yay! for twinning! ๐Ÿ‘ฅ ๐Ÿ‘ฏโ€โ™€๏ธ

Yes @lmaster! Great โ€œTโ€ tie in - love it! ๐Ÿ˜Š The Dr Ceuracle tea tree mask was a nice one too! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ Itโ€™s never a bad thing to be twinning with the fabulous @Shosh85! ๐Ÿค— 

T is for Tea Tree

CF3B9E83-6B13-4D8C-B2E0-B4F5B716AC15.jpeg

Spoiler

Rael Beauty Tea Tree Sheet Mask

Material:

Thin comfortable bamboo sheet

Serum:

Clear, watery 

Scent:

Tea tree. Smelled a little strong if I stuck my nose right in the package, but wasn't too noticeable while the mask was on my face. Honestly though, tea tree doesn't really bother me - to me, it's better than floral. ๐Ÿ˜…

Fit:

I little too long at the chin and not long enough at the forehead

Wear Time:

Half hour.

Tack:

Very light, and only stuck around for a few minutes.

Results:

I felt a nice cooling feeling while the mask was on. When I removed it my skin felt refreshed, soft and smooth. Skin tone looked more even.

Repurchase?

If not for having plenty of backups, this is one I'd consider repurchasing. It's always nice to have a good tea tree mask on-hand ๐Ÿ˜‰

1D362DB3-1021-4878-B040-872E231EFD4B.jpeg

@Shosh85, I laughed and laughed when I got to the part where you said โ€œif not for having plenty of backupsโ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚ Ohhh, backups - love โ€˜em but they can get in the way of a large mask haul. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Agree about having a good tea tree mask on hand. I used the Etude House 0.2mm Tea Tree earlier in the week and not bad; have another in the queue for this weekend. Do you have one (or two, or ... ๐Ÿ˜†) that you like to keep on hand? 

@itsfi  I would have to say my most favorite Tea Tree sheet mask so far is the Ariul 7 Days one. Other favorites are from Whole Foods, Facetory and Mediheal. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Taking notes @Shosh85๐Ÿค— Thank you!! I'm pretty sure I have the Mediheal tea tree mask and can't imagine not liking it - it is Mediheal, after all. I think there's only been one Mediheal mask that I've considered a pass or no. I may possibly have the Whole Foods version too; gosh, now that I think about it, I haven't been inside a Whole Foods since about a week into the lockdown last year. ๐Ÿค” Will check my stash for both of those. I feel like I had the Ariul mask in my stash at some point. ๐Ÿ˜‚  Good to know that the Facetory tea tree is one you like. I have a vague recollection that I used their acai mask and thought it was just okay. 

I am with you on the โ€œTea Tree > Floralโ€ @Shosh85 ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸผBamboo is always a plus, too. Itโ€™s interesting that this line has masks that are each geared toward different time periods throughout the month, very well thought-out!

@eshoe In general, I would say that floral is my least favorite scent. ๐Ÿ’

I definitely think this would another line of masks that would be nice to try out - I'll be trying the hydration one next! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85 ohh I may have this one? Great to hear it's one worth having a back up

@lmaster  It's a nice one! I'm glad I have backups, but to be fair, I only have them because I happened to find a 10 pack at Burlington Coat Factory - good thing I liked it ๐Ÿ˜‰

T for Throwback with a nod to honey, one of my favorite skincare ingredients, and in keeping with the "throwback" theme, going back to last week's letter of the week, with a S for Shosh85 who very kindly and generously gifted me the LAPCOS Honey Nourishing Mask.

Ingredient Spotlight: HoneyIngredient Spotlight: Honey

Blithe Energy Yellow Citrus & Honey Patting Splash Mask 
Spoiler
I find splash masks like this Blithe Energy Yellow Citrus & Honey Patting Splash Mask to be efficient and effective. Lactic acid, honey, and citrus fruit extracts and oils are notable ingredients in this version of Blithe's splash mask (the brand also carries a green tea version as well as a berry one). These splash masks are highly concentrated and must be heavily diluted with water before applying to the face. As the name suggests, these types of masks are applied by splashing the diluted product onto and patting it into the skin. There are several ways to use splash masks; my preferred approach is to use it in the shower, pouring a small amount in a cupped palm and then splashing and patting my face with the water from the showerhead running and the liquid for about 15 - 20 seconds. Every time I use a Blithe splash mask, my skin looks and feels clear, soft and smooth with a fresh faced radiance. It's also perfectly primed and prepped for moisturizer, sunblock and makeup afterwards and that fresh faced glow from the mask really comes through beautifully under makeup.

Splash masks can be used day or night, but my preference has been to use it in the mornings. They're especially great for those mornings when I am running late or when I want to streamline my skincare routine but still get the benefits of an exfoliating product, toner and essence in a fraction of the time. If used as part of a regular skincare routine, it can be used 1-2 times per week. 
Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! Honey Moisture Deep Conditioning Mask
Spoiler
It would be an understatement to say that I love the Briogeo hair masks. Nancy Twine has done a stellar job at creating beautiful treatments and masks for hair of all lengths, types and textures. 

The Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! Honey Moisture Deep Conditioning Mask (which I affectionately refer to as the Briogeo honey bear mask) is a limited edition honey version of the brand's original Don't Despair, Repair mask. This honey version is my hands-down favorite of all the hair masks from Briogeo.  The one con is that it's limited edition, but it has been brought back before, most recently in a LE holiday set, and I hope Briogeo continues to bring this beauty back time and time again. Until they decide to make it a permanent part of their collection (which I'm all for!!), I will pick it up a couple of bottles whenever this honey bear hair mask comes out of hibernation. 
LAPCOS Honey Nourishing Sheet Mask: Where to even begin?! Well, with manners. Thank you @Shosh85  for sending this fabulous mask my way. 
Spoiler
tl;dr: Soft, thin lyocell sheet mask heavily saturated in a sweet, lightly-scented essence having a jelly-like consistency. The honey and centella asiatica work with other good-for-the-skin ingredients for soft, smooth, dewy and nourished complexion after just 30 minutes of wear. A slight tack remains after the serum has been fully absorbed but becomes undetectable once moisturizer is applied. A definite repurchase.

Fun Fact:  Tencel is the US brand name for lyocell.

Mask:
LAPCOS Honey Nourishing Mask

Material:
Soft, thin Lyocell. It's very delicate and while it didn't tear, it is very pliable.

Essence:
Subtle and sweet-scented jelly-like consistency. Scent dissipates almost immediately and is undetectable once the mask is applied to the face. There is quite a bit of essence which is great for using on other parts of the body, but it presented   a challenge to keep it from dripping all over. 

Fit & Adherence:Adherence was great. Fit is fine; the mask is just a smidge too wide at the temples and a hair too long at the chin but not so much as to require some sheet mask surgery with my mini scissors.

Openings for the eyes and mouth were very large; almost excessively so with the eyes. Iโ€™m not sure whether thatโ€™s just how the mask is designed (doubtful) or if I may have stretched it out more in my efforts to unfold the mask which surprisingly, I had quite a bit of trouble with.  I'm fairly certain it was the latter since the shape of the eye openings looked out of place too. 

Notable Ingredients:Honey extract: anti-bacterial; anti-inflammatory; hydrating; nourishing

Centella asiatica (cica):  soothing; healing; reduces redness

Claim(s)
Nourishing

Results:
Soft, dewy, nourished skin after just 30 minutes. Thereโ€™s the slightest bit of tack to the touch even after the serum has been fully absorbed (and that can remain on the skin for 10+ minutes), but that tack becomes undetectable once I followed up with the rest of my skincare routine.

Repurchase?:Absolutely

1 Reply
testing