Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@missy94612 These both really were so great - they make a perfect pair! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85 both of those OH masks are short-listed! How great would it be if there was a Sephora Mask Bar where we could curate our own 4 or 8 pod wash-off masking set? @itsfi @lmaster @ather @PrettyPaint @quspork @faeriegirl 

Yes yes yes!! @eshoe love it

@eshoe  I think that's a fantastic idea - I would totally love that!

@eshoe Oh, I love that idea! A mask bar like that would be so helpful! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ™Œ

I'm actually really drawn to these colors! @Shosh85 @itsfi is right,, very calming ๐Ÿ™‚

@lmaster  It really is such a pretty color - definitely makes it even more fun to use! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Love both these masks @Shosh85! ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ–ค That color on the OH mask is so pretty and calming to look at too. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ The butterfly ๐Ÿฆ‹ mask shape is great because it covers the most dry parts of my face. โ€œLife happened.โ€ That it does!! Hope things are going better for you! Love how you made โ€œTโ€ week work! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@itsfi  I really love both of these too! I think I have another Sexy Look eye mask from you that's a different shape that I'm excited to try out! Thanks again for sending them!
My husband was certainly entertained by it... he told me it looked like an ink blot test ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘‡

Spoiler
AF8E7D17-97E0-4101-87B3-47CE56CF2ACD.jpeg

Hahaha! @Shosh85, maybe it IS an ink blot test! If so, then the mask is a two-fer, another T for this week. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Can you just imagine the infomercial for it ... you're not just getting a sheet mask, folks. You're getting a sheet mask and an ink blot test. All yours for the low, low price of $2.99. And, for the first 100 customers to call now and order . . . ๐Ÿคฃ

@itsfi  Bahahaha! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

PSA: MisshaUS has started its Memorial Day sale (is it just me or is it a little early for that?). 50% sitewide. GWP with $20+ ๐Ÿ›

Missha 50% off sitewide.JPG

@itsfi This is a great deal! - of course the ones I want are all sold out ๐Ÿ˜‚

@Shosh85, I felt the same way. There were a handful of things I went to find only to see โ€œsold outโ€. ๐Ÿ˜† That lead me to look elsewhere for the same item elsewhere. Hahaha! 

The last of my "S" masks from last week's letter of the week challenge, which I guess could mean a T for Tardy this week ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜†

S masks JPG.jpg

S for Sweden:

Spoiler
This masking session was inspired by a sub box that I received as a gift earlier in the year. This particular box included these lovely Henne products. Henne Organics is a "Swedish inspired, American made" beauty brand specializing in lip care, founded by Laura Xiao, who described the brand as being "dedicated to the modern woman". Apropos given that "Henne" is Swedish for "her". And, for anyone interested, the gummies are raspberry flavored, with the coated one being a sour raspberry version, and both are, in keeping with the theme of the masking sesh, made in Sweden. They're also yummy! ๐Ÿ˜‹

Lip Care
Spoiler
Prior to receiving this box, my familiarity with Henne was limited to its lip tints. The sugar granules in the Henne Organics Rose Diamonds Lip Exfoliator are larger than the lip exfoliators and lip scrubs I've used previously. There's a lot of product packed in the jar and there's a light rose scent (and taste) to the scrub. The consistency of the exfoliator initially seemed a bit dry when I opened the jar, but once applied and massaged onto the lips, the granules begin to break down a bit, creating a more emollient feel. After working the product on my lips, I notice that my lips feel more smooth and soft. This is a nice lip scrub; my favorite remains the original (and since discontinued) version (in a pot) of Sara Happ lemonade lip scrub, but I like this one enough to consider purchasing the other flavors within the line. 

Next up, was the Henne Organics Lip Mask, a fresh and very subtle sweetened citrus-scented, soothing, nourishing and creamy formula that applies beautifully (once you "break the seal" of the mask) and deeply moisturizes the lips. Instructions call for leaving the lip mask on for about 20-30 minutes, which, from a timing perspective, makes it a perfect pairing with a sheet mask. I've used this a couple of times since getting my hands on this and it does a lovely job of keeping my lips moisturized. It inadvertently turned into a lip sleeping mask last night, which worked out well too. A lip sleeping mask is the last thing I need but it's nice to know this holds up through the night. 

Henne Organics Lip Serum was the product that caught my eye the most when I first opened my sub box. I had a feeling it wouldn't necessarily be a need-to-have item so much as it is a nice-to-have-as-a-treat product. First off, the ingredients in this serum are first rate for hydration and moisture - the serum consists of a host of fabulous oils - well regarded (and effective) oils such as rosehip, camellia, argan, jojoba, and apricot, as well as less well known but equally amazing ones like  cloudberry seed, lingonberry seed, and pomegranate oils. This is a lightweight, thin serum that glides on beautifully and with a touch of luxe thanks to the 24K gold plated rollerball that feels cooling on the lips. Definitely a little TLC for the skin. The serum absorbs quickly and would make a great prep before lipstick. In fact, as I think about it, this would probably work wonders as a lip primer before a matte lippie for those with dry or sensitive lips. Making a note to try that out later this week.
Sheet Mask
Spoiler
Verso Deep Hydration Mask is, at $15, one of those masks you don't want to love . . . but do. And I do love it, deeply actually. Like the Henne brand, there's a connection to the brand's name and its mission. Verso is Latin for "reverse" and it refers to the aim of the brand to create products that help reverse the signs of aging.

This 2-piece hydrogel mask feels luxuriously cooling against the skin and remained so for the entire 30 minutes of wear, which, while longer than the recommended wear time of 10-20 minutes, worked out well for my skin which, per usual is being finicky and is currently dehydrated-combo leaning dry. Adherence is great despite my having some initial issues with applying it onto my face as a result of the slippery texture of the hydrogel and the slightly viscous liquid essence. I did make two small cuts to the material right above the upper lip to help keep it from sliding down onto my upper lip. Other than that and the nose part being a little too long for my nose, fit was perfect. Zero adjustments needed to the length, width or openings for the eyes and mouth. Yes!! 

The crisp, clean and ever so subtle aquatic scent can be picked up upon opening the mask (and sticking the little sniffer into the packet, lol), but is otherwise undetectable. After removing the mask and pressing what excess essence remains atop my skin, I notice a tacky feel all over, which as expected, becomes non-existent once I follow up with the rest of my skincare routine. There's a fresh, bright, wide awake look to my complexion and my skin looks and feels soft, smooth, plump with hydration and slightly moisturized. A deep hydrating mask indeed! 

This mask is a lovely, new-to-me mask this year. I've heard of Verso but didn't really gravitate towards it because many of its skincare products contain retinol and my skin is sensitive to retinols. This Deep Hydration Mask does not contain retinol; rather, the key ingredient is the "artificial moisturizing factors" which is said to help the skin retain moisture. It's a lovely (and effectively hydrating) mask, one that would be wonderful for use either as an after a peel treatment (perhaps one by another Scandinavian brand, like the Ole Henriksen Power Bright 3-Step Peel Treatment, a favorite of mine) or as a priming mask to prep the skin before makeup application. Or just for days when a TLC pampering sesh is called for. This mask is also, in keeping with last week's theme, is one that I would buy in bulk, if there was a sale, which I will now be keeping an eye for when it comes to this beauty. Fortunately, I have a backup that I plan to pull out when the weather is very warm - the cooling sensation from this mask will be perfect after a long day outdoors

S for snail๐ŸŒ

Spoiler
The 2-piece hydrogel of The Orchid Skin Snail Cream Gel Mask adhered beautifully and fit my face perfectly. The essence has a slightly viscous consistency, a very subtle clean and floral-ish scent, and feels soothing and hydrating the minute applied against the skin. Ingredients like centella asiatica, red algae and snail mucin work harmoniously to hydrate and moisturizing the skin, imparting a healthy radiant glow after 30 minutes of wear. This was my first time using this mask but it will most definitely not be my last. A definite repurchase.

Ingredients:
Spoiler
from YesStyle:
Water, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Ceratonia Siliqua Gum, Chondrus Crispus Powder, Glyceryl Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Paeonia Suffruticosa Root Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Cellulose Gum, 1,2-Hexanediol, Sodium Polyacrylate, Snail Secretion Filtrate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Dioscorea Opposita (Wild Yam) Root Extract, Glyceryl Caprylate, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Allantoin, Polysorbate 20, Ethylhexylglycerin, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Flower Extract, Rosa Rugosa Flower Extract, Paeonia Albiflora Flower Extract, Trideceth-6, Orchid Extract, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Flower Extract, Silica, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Polyquaternium-51, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Dimethicone, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Carbomer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Potassium Hydroxide, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima ( Avocado ) Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance

S for succulent

Spoiler
Fun fact: aloe is a large group of succulent plants.

Sheet Mask:
Spoiler
DewyTree It's Pure Mask - Aloe is an ultra thin, super soft, 100% biodegradable Eucalyptus pulp sheet mask aimed at hydrating and soothing skin with its clear, thin, watery, unscented essence. I wasn't dealing with any skin irritation that required soothing so I can't really speak to the soothing claim, but it felt cooling on the skin and definitely lived up to its hydration claims. The mask itself is soaked in the essence and although instructions recommended leaving the mask on for 10-20 minutes, I found I was able to leave it on for at least 40 minutes without the mask beginning to dry out. After removing the mask and pressing the essence that remained atop my face, my skin looked and felt more plump and hydrated and my complexion had a bright, awake, fresh faced glow to it. 
Exfoliating Foot Mask:
Spoiler
This isn't my favorite foot mask as far as its design and wearability is concerned, but we shall see what results come from it, which are expected to start within 4-7 days. The foot mask itself, including the opening, is on the small side. Usually with foot masks, there's plenty of extra space both around my foot and the ankles where there's usually a sticker to help seal or close the mask. That was not the case with this foot mask. I was able to get my foot in with just a little bit of extra effort and had a little room all around the perimeter of my foot but that will not be the case for everyone given the smaller size of this foot mask. 

Pros: My soles felt very soft and smooth after removing the mask and rinsing off the serum. Hoping that signals some good peeling action in the next few days.

Cons: Narrow opening for foot and it does not come with a sticker to close the mask, but even if it did, the shape and size of the bootie would make it challenging to use the sticker. This is not a mask that can be worn in any sort of reclined position as the serum will spill everywhere.

As of this posting date, it's day 4 since I did the foot peeling mask. So far, my soles continue to feel soft and smooth. There has yet to be any signs of peeling, but we're in that window of time, so stay tuned!
Hair Mask:
Spoiler
Christophe Robin Hydrating Melting Mask with Aloe Vera is a lightweight but creamy hair mask with a very subtle green scent. By "green" scent, I don't mean herbal or earthy, so much as I mean it had a fresh, plant, botanical garden scent to it. This did a great and easy job of detangling and I like the results it gives in the short amount of time I keep it on (around 5 minutes) before rinsing it out of my hair. My hair strands are fine, but I have a lot of them so it looks like I have more hair, and thicker hair, than I really do. One concern that I have with hair masks is whether it will weigh down my hair. I didn't need to be concerned with that with this Christophe Robin mask. My hair looked and felt hydrated, soft and smooth from the top to the ends.

S for squalane (as well as soft, silky, smooth, and second-skin):

Spoiler
tl;dr: The second-skin feel of this soft, thin, silky-smooth silk mask makes for a luxe sheet mask experience. It softly clings to the skin, gently hugging the contours of the face as the clear, slightly viscous, floral-perfumed-scented essence infused with powerhouse ingredients like squalane, sodium hyaluronate, hydrolyzed collagen and licorice root extract work their charms to moisturize and brighten the skin. Despite the fragrance and the slight filmy feel to the skin once the essence has been fully absorbed, this is a repurchase-worthy sheet mask.

Spoiler
Mask: Dr. Althea Squalane Silk Mask

Dr. Althea is not named for an actual doctor, but rather is the "embodiment of the brand identity." The "Doctor" is meant to refer to the work, research and expertise in the development process for the brand's products. "Althea" is the national flower of South Korea.

Material:  Silk - thin, soft, silky and smooth

Adherence:  Excellent; feels like second skin

Fit:  Almost perfect length-wise at both the forehead and chin - this is a very rare and welcome occurrence. Slightly too wide at the sides, primarily at the temples. Very narrow openings for the eyes and mouth - while they didn't feel scrunched, adjustments are needed for a better fit. 

Essence:  Clear, slightly viscous and with floral perfume scent that is more noticeable than I would prefer both in terms of its strength and duration. The scent eventually faded away during the 20 minutes I had on the mask, but those sensitive to scents may wish to avoid this one - while it's not the most potent smell, it was noticeable and lingered longer than I expected.

Notable Ingredients Squalane (moisturizing; anti-inflammatory; reduce redness); sodium hyaluronate (hydrating; helps skin retain moisture); hydrolyzed collagen (moisturizing; improves skin elasticity; restores skin health); and licorice root extract (brightening; soothing)

Claim(s):  Moisturizing and brightening

Performance & Results: This is one of the most luxe feeling masks I've worn. My dehydrated-dry skin loved it and absorbed the essence quickly while I had on the mask as well as after removing it. The only negatives would be the fragrance and the slightly filmy feeling on the skin after the essence had been completely absorbed. That filmy feeling does go away after following up with a moisturizer. . 

Repurchase?: Yes, even despite its fragrance.

Christophe Robin Hydrating Melting Hair Mask with Aloe Vera 6.7 oz/ 200 mL 

@itsfi  Beautiful pictures! I'm totally craving some Swedish Fish now! ๐Ÿ˜‹ So happy to hear these were all winners! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Hahaha @Shosh85! I had a feeling the Swedish fishies would be a hit here. ๐Ÿ˜† Iโ€™m pleased all these masks worked out well, but it sure makes it hard to keep the โ€œto repurchaseโ€ list from getting too long. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thatโ€™s not a bad problem to have though. 

@Shosh85 @itsfi you know those swedish fish are guaranteed to be a hit here!! ๐Ÿคฃ Ahhhhh food and masking they just go together... Right?? ๐Ÿ˜†

Definitely @lmaster; you get me! ๐Ÿค— Food and masking; a winning pair! @Shosh85 ๐Ÿ˜†

@itsfi  Wow! You did such a great job at the letter S!! Looks like you tried some great masks!!! Any peeling yet on the foot mask?

@ather, thank you. ๐Ÿ˜€ No peeling yet. I keep checking but nada. I bet it will start peeling when I'd really rather my feet not be peeling. ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜‚

1 Reply
testing