Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

This kind of fits this week's challenge by a bit of a stretch. 

It's the Dr. Gloderm TABRX Whitening Mask. I'm not sure where I got this from - I think it probably came in a facetory box. I will put it out there that I'm uncomfortable with the mask label because even if it's not the intention, I do think it suggests a singular ideal of beauty...

Anyhow, it came with an oil capsule, so that's where the O will come from. I really am unsure of the majority of its claims. The Glutathione in the mask is probably meant to be the skin brightening agent. Upon just one use, I obviously can't tell a difference. The mask did adhere very well and it was nourishing. I applied the oil capsule afterwards, and I think I applied a bit too much as I'm quite oily now...haha. 

My skin is feeling very moisturized, though, I'll say! 

2 - Copy.png1 - Copy.png

Ingredients:

Spoiler

Mask

Water, Dipropylene Glycol, Glycerin, Niacinamide, Glycereth-26, Betaine, Xanthan Gum, 1,2-Hexanediol , Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Fragrance, Butylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid, Glutathione, Pearl Extract, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5

Oil

Capsule Hydrogenated Polydecene, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Glycerin, Ceramide 3, Phytosphingosine, Squalane, Phospholipids, Phytosterols

@PrettyPaint I agree, I hope companies can change the wording on the mask claims, otherwise, sounds like a decent mask

@PrettyPaint, I have this mask! Iโ€™m excited about using it after reading your review! ๐Ÿ˜ It has a later expiration date of the masks I have remaining in my stash so I was setting it aside for another time but I may just have to use it sooner rather than later. Loading my face with oils has been a good way for me of keeping it moisturized and nourished. 

I 100% agree with you on the labeling of the mask and appreciate your commenting on it. I think some (though not all) Kbeauty brands are moving from how they have marketed masks in the past as whitening. It seems the larger brands are making the move more quickly than others to labeling masks as being a brightening mask. 

@itsfi  I can't wait to see your thoughts when you try it. By the way, after I used it, I read that you can actually apply some of the oil capsule before applying the mask to help it absorb better. The oil never fully absorbed with me applying solely afterwards, so this may be something you could try. 

Good tip @PrettyPaint; thank you so much! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ I made a note on the back of the mask to do just that. I'll tag you when I post my thoughts on this one. So interesting that the oil didn't fully absorb for you when you used it after the mask. I have a feeling my face will be very happy to in some more oils. ๐Ÿ˜‚ It seems to be that way after I've had a long day of wearing a mask. It can't seem to get enough oils. Sooo dry.  

The oil ingredients look great, @PrettyPaint! Lots of good stuff in there, at leastโ˜บ๏ธ

Thanks, @eshoe  ๐Ÿ™‚

O for OMG โฃ๏ธ

C220F1A3-FD48-40A9-859C-C96E6C9109E2.jpeg

Spoiler
The Nuori Supreme Moisture Mask can be used as an Overnight mask, though I rarely do. My skin absorbs much of it by the 20 minute mark, so I think it likes it! The Bite Beauty Agave+ Vegan Mini Scrub & Sleep Lip Duo 
sleep mask just feels like a pot version of the tube product to me. Unscented and long-lasting, so far a good replacement for the original.

The Double Dare OMG! Red + Snail Mask was a colorful treat. It is packed with lots of good stuff including very slimy snail mucin. When I first opened the packet to pull out the mask, I thought there was a hair inside of it. Nope, just serum string. It was stringy as I removed the single protective layer, too. There was a little extra serum that I applied to my skin, it was a decent thickness, like the CosRx Essence. I noticed a very slight medicinal scent, which was pleasant. The bright red-orange mask was extra-cushy & soft, with generous eye openings and oversize sides. The adherence was excellent, and remained perfectly in place until it began to dry and I removed around 25 minutes later. My daughter said I looked like a Target model, as my face looked like a bullseye ๐ŸŽฏ, ha. 

Surprisingly, the tackiness was minimal. I was expecting more, and would have been totally ok with it as my skin soaked up this mask very happily. There are at least a couple of other ones in this line that I hope to try, as this one was ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Ingredients:
Spoiler
BD821048-5DF0-4068-801E-729224FD015B.jpeg

โ€ƒ

@eshoe minus the hair scare ๐Ÿ˜† loving the sounds of this beauty!!

Ooh, the Double Dare mask! I have this one in my stash to try out as well, @eshoe so I'm glad to hear that you liked it. Definite A+ for your daughter saying you looked like a Target model lol! 

@eshoe  Haha! ๐Ÿ˜‚ Your daughter cracks me up! ๐ŸŽฏ Glad to hear you enjoyed this one! ๐Ÿ˜ƒThe picture on the packaging totally makes you think it'll be a hydrogel ๐Ÿ˜‰

@eshoe  That double dare sounds really appealing. Your daughter is totally right on with the target association! ๐Ÿ™‚

@PrettyPaint snail rarely fails๐Ÿฅฐ ๐ŸŒ!

Both of these face masks sound like they're wonderful @eshoe I think I remember you saying the stringiness of the CosRx wasn't pleasant for you.  Did you ever grow accustomed to it? 

Ha, no, @missjeanie - I am looking forward to finishing it, even though it does my skin well. The Benton Snail Essence has the same thicker consistency sans string, so that will be my restock;)

@eshoe @That sounds very interesting! Great it absorbed well! 

@Kim888 it was different, the first Iโ€™ve tried with such a cheery, vibrant color! 

@eshoe, do you know what key ingredient(s) is/are touted by the Nuori mask? Is the OMG mask the same one that @heartsmyface used last year? Or maybe it was the year before last? It all blurs together these days. ๐Ÿ˜ 

@itsfi here is the Nuoriโ€™s ingredient list from Dermstore, where I purchased it. I donโ€™t notice much of a scent, although perfume is listed๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

Spoiler

Grape/Vitis Vinifera Fruit Water, Damask Rose/Rosa Damascena Flower Water, Squalane (plant Origin), Pentylene Glycol (plant Origin), Shea/Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Cetyl Alcohol, Avocado Butter/Hydrogenated Avocado Oil, Vitamin B3/Niacinamide, Betaine (plant Origin), Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Glycerin (plant Origin), Apricot/Prunus Armeniaca Kernel Oil, Bisabolol, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Chamomile/Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Hyaluronic Acid/Sodium Hyaluronate, Water/Aqua, Xanthan Gum, Maltodextrin, Geraniol*, Citronellol*, Sodium Gluconate, Citric Acid, Fragrance/Parfum*.

*From 100% Natural Essential Oils.

I thought someone here used it, but I couldnโ€™t remember who! Maybe it was @heartsmyface, it looks like one she would try:) As a side note, I was expecting this to be hydrogel for some reason...

O is for Oozoo, One Love, organic, and ocular (eye), with an ingredient focus on roses

O - Oozoo + Organic + Ocular.jpg

Sheet Mask:

Spoiler
The Oozoo Fresh Capsule Rose Petal Mask is a soft, thin cotton sheet mask with tiny holes all throughout the mask that resembles the inside lining of men's swim trunks. Using this mask is an interactive affair - the mask becomes saturated with a milk, cream-in-oil serum upon "breaking" the rose oil filled capsule and working the oil into the mask (that presumably is already coated with milky cream serum) by massaging the pouch, The scent is subtle and reminiscent of fresh roses.

Adherence is good and fit can be made to work for me with some adjustments to the material at the chin / jawline and the corners of the openings for the eyes and mouth. The mask, with the creamy serum, feels cooling and soothing against my skin and wears comfortably for the entire 45 minutes I left the mask on. I typically leave on masks for an half hour but there was so much serum to this (and extra in the pouch for the other parts of me) that I left it on a bit longer without any concerns that it might dry out. There was no tack or stickiness immediately after removing the mask or after the serum was fully absorbed. My face looked  brightened and felt well moisturized.

I'm not typically a fan of interactive masks, but this one, along with the royal jelly version from the brand, are ones I really enjoy and would repurchase.

Wash Off:

Spoiler
The creamy consistency of this activated charcoal and rose kaolin clay grey hued One Love Organics Love + Charcoal Masque makes it easy to spread. It feels cooling and gentle on the skin upon application and throughout the 15 minutes I left it on. Despite containing exfoliants in the form of lactic acid and willow bark extract, I did not feel any tingling or stinging. It does dry down, but does not harden or feel tight, which I attribute to the Cupuacu butter (Brazilian cocoa), aloe vera leaf juice, and alpine rose. My skin feels soft and cleansed without feeling tight or stripped, and looks more clear. I like using this mask as an all over treatment every week or every other week, or on an as-needed basis, as a spot treatment on blemishes, or on my lower T-zone and along my jawline. I received this in a past sub box and would happily use this again. I'm not sure whether I'd repurchase this one, in large part because I really enjoy the Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal Honey Mask, which works similar enough to this one that I don't feel like I need both. 

Steam Eye Mask:

Spoiler
Steambase Daily Steam Eye Mask - Rose Garden is a 20+ minute aromatherapy steam thermal eye mask. I love steam eye masks. This one has a subtle rose scent and a very cute design. Compared to the Megrhythm gentle steam eye mask, the scent on this Steambase mask is stronger; that is not to say it is strong as the rose scent from the Megrhythm steam eye mask is so subtle it's almost non-existent. This mask feels less gentle than the Megrhythm, both in the feel of the mask itself as well as the experience of being lulled to sleep. I felt that the steam base of the mask felt more rigid over my eyes, where as with the Megrhythm version it wrapped itself around my eyes more smoothly and softly. It could just be this particular Steambase eye mask. I have other varietals from the line and will give them a go to see if this is just a one-off or if from a design and function perspective, they are as noticeably different this particular use. We shall see. Stay tuned.

Origins Clear Improvementโ„ข Charcoal Honey Mask to Purify and Nourish 2.5 oz/ 75 mL 

@itsfi curious if you found the Steambase to last as long as the MegRhythm. 

11 Replies
testing