Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@Shosh85 Yeah, it really bugs me that I see many ingredients demonized yet so many people don't seem to mind the addition of fragrance.  

Sorry about the maskne.  That's one thing I've been able to avoid - go figure!

@greeneyedgirl107  Good for you on avoiding maskne! If I remember correctly, you work in healthcare?

I actually don't have any acne at the moment and fortunately don't have to wear a mask very often because I am a stay-at-home mom with two autistic kids (who won't tolerate mask wearing), so we don't really go anywhere, lol ๐Ÿ˜… I mostly just use clay masks as a spot treatment, because my dry skin can't usually handle a full face of clay. ๐Ÿ˜‰

@greeneyedgirl107, we're clay mask twinsies! ๐Ÿ˜ That Innisfree mask has been a staple in my rotation for the last 4-5 weeks! I alternate between using it as a spot treatment and with slathering it on all over my lower T-zone and jawline. 

@itsfi I totally trust your insight into masks!

@greeneyedgirl107, I guess weโ€™ll have to thank my acne / maskne here. Hahaha! ๐Ÿ˜† Skincare is so hit or miss and trial and error. Itโ€™s nice to have each other and our collective experiences to draw on! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@itsfi You're so right!

Another vitamins mask from last week, with a strawberry theme! ๐Ÿ“

L - vitamins - C + B9.jpg

Strawberries are a good source of a host of vitamins, including vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B9 (folate), C & E.  Armed with that knowledge and inspired by the first strawberries from our strawberry plant (pictured right there), I reached for the Etude House 0.2mm Therapy Air Mask - Strawberry for @Kim888 's vitamins challenge last week. 

tl;dr: Soft, super thin (0.2mm) sheet mask soaked in a clear, slightly viscous watery ampoule-type essence with a slightly synthetic scent (sadly, resembling nothing at all like strawberries) that leaves skin hydrated with a dewy glow, making it an ideal mask to include in a skincare routine before applying makeup.

Sheet Mask:

Spoiler
What Is It? This exceedingly thin (0.2mm) Etude House 0.2mm Therapy Air Mask - Strawberry is saturated in a clear, slightly viscous watery ampoule-type essence that claims to brighten and revitalize skin. There's a quickly dissipating synthetic scent to it that sadly does not resemble anything like strawberries at all.

What I Liked: Adherence on this mask is wonderful, as expected, given how thin and soft the material is. Fit isn't bad - it's too wide at the temples, but not so wide that it made it uncomfortable to leave it be and about an inch too long at the chin and jawline. I made the slightest incision to the lower inner corners of the eye openings, to help the mask lay flat against the skin.

Results-wise, my skin felt well hydrated after an half hour of wear. There's a slight tacky-to-the-touch feel to the skin even after the excess essence has completely absorbed. There's also a dewiness to my skin that makes my skin and foundation just look ... better. 

Area(s) for ImprovementIt wasn't an issue for me, but alcohol is the 5th ingredient listed, so for those who are allergic, sensitive or just seeking to avoid alcohol in sheet masks (tagging @Shosh85, @lmaster @ather), this mask might be one to pass on. 

My Two Cents: The masks in the Etude House 0.2mm Therapy Air Masks would make for good sheet masks for daily use. One of my goals as I work towards the end of my sheet mask stash is to go through the ones I have from this range and decide which one(s) I like and which I will keep permanently in my collection for those periods when I want to do a little daily sheet masking. This strawberry varietal is one that would be very nice to use as part of the skincare prep before applying makeup. 

Ingredients:
Spoiler
from etude (dot) com
WATER, DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL, METHYLPROPANEDIOL, NIACINAMIDE, ALCOHOL, GLYCERIN, HYDROXYETHYL UREA, BIOSACCHARIDE GUM-1, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, 1,2-HEXANEDIOL, FRAGARIA CHILOENSIS (STRAWBERRY) FRUIT EXTRACT(2,500ppm), ARGININE, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, ALLANTOIN, ACRYLATES/C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, GLYCYRRHIZA GLABRA (LICORICE) ROOT EXTRACT, COPTIS JAPONICA ROOT EXTRACT, ZINGIBER OFFICINALE (GINGER) ROOT EXTRACT, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, DEHYDROACETIC ACID, SODIUM HYALURONATE, DISODIUM EDTA, DIPOTASSIUM GLYCYRRHIZATE, POLYGLYCERYL-10 LAURATE, POLYGLYCERYL-10 MYRISTATE, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, BOSWELLIA SERRATA GUM, HYDROGENATED LECITHIN, BETA-GLUCAN, LAVANDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA (LAVENDER) OIL, EUCALYPTUS GLOBULUS LEAF OIL, PINUS PALUSTRIS OIL, CITRUS NOBILIS (MANDARIN ORANGE) OIL, CITRUS LIMON (LEMON) FRUIT EXTRACT, PHYTOSTERYL/OCTYLDODECYL LAUROYL GLUTAMATE, CERAMIDE NP, LIMONENE

Lip Care:

Spoiler
The 2-in-1 aspect of the Kaja Strawberry Rose Balmy Bento Lip Balm + Scrub caught my eye. The top container consists of the lip balm, while the bottom houses the lip scrub. Both are lightweight in consistency. With the balm, you have to break through the product to really get the balm out.

The lip scrub, on the other hand, comes out easily. It has a jelly like consistency and contains very fine scrubby granules. The scrubbies here are too fine, in my min, be used on their own. The exfoliation it provides is extremely gentle, so if you have sensitive lips or just prefer a super gentle exfoliation, this Kaja balm + scrub set might be just what you're looking for. To me thought, the lip scrub would benefit from a lip scrubber, either in the form of an actual lip scrubber like the lip-shaped silicone one contained in the KNC Beauty lip scrub set or the Sephora Collection lip scrubber. Alternatively, a toothbrush would work just as well. 

Kaja Lip Bento Balm + Scrub Strawberry Rose 

@itsfi  Thanks for the heads up! I have this one, so it's nice to have an idea what I'll be getting myself into. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'm not totally opposed to using masks with alcohol, I just try to be careful how often I use them ...... although if this mask had a delicious strawberry scent, it would totally make up for the alcohol to me ๐Ÿ˜† Glad this one was at least decent for you! I still have more from the line to try, but my most favorite has definitely been the snail one! ๐ŸŒ

@Shosh85, "deliciously strawberry scented sheet mask" will be on my list of masks to keep an eye out for this year. Can you imagine one of those paired with the Skinfood black sugar strawberry wash off mask? All we would need to round it out would be a strawberry scented hair mask. Okay, that'll be my mission for 2021. Find those two things. Got it. ๐Ÿ˜

@itsfi  I'd love to find a good strawberry scented sheet mask, ๐Ÿ“but oh, that Skinfood mask smells amazing! I haven't found a Strawberry hair mask, but I did just buy the new Watermelon hair mask from Garnier Fructis and it smells SO good! 

Ooooouuuuh!!!! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Did you pick up the large tub of the watermelon hair mask or the smaller sized one @Shosh85? I bet it smells amazing!!! ๐Ÿ‰

@itsfi  I got the large one because that's all they had - but that's ok, it'll definitely get used ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‰

Lol @Shosh85! ๐Ÿ˜‚ Iโ€™ve no doubt it will get used! ๐Ÿ˜† Iโ€™ve only seen the large one in stores. If you love it, I may pick it up when I get through one of the larger sized hair masks I already have open.

Hmmmm the Kaja looks cute for sure, @itsfi! The scrub sounds similar to the consistency of Bite Beauty Agave+ Weekly Vegan Lip Scrub 0.7 oz/ 20 g, but with much smaller granules. Kind of a challenge to use, given how thick and goopy it is. 

Your strawberry looks happy and healthy, too!

@eshoe, the consistency of the Kaja is more of a jelly-like texture to it, not at all like the Bite scrub, or at least the versions of it that I've used - the older one, in a tube and stick form. I find that adding a little olive oil to the Bite scrub helps with its consistency and how easily it is to apply it over the lips.

Thanks for the heads up @itsfi strawberry does sound delicious though ๐Ÿคค

@lmaster, it was high enough on the inci list that I thought it would be worth mentioning. I wonder if the sheet masks in this line are similar to the Innisfree My Squeeze range, where the masks with a certain type of essence contain alcohol while the others in the series do not. The snail ๐ŸŒ mask from this line does not contain alcohol, but it has a different essence than this strawberry ๐Ÿ“ one. Hmmm... ๐Ÿค” I'll have to make a note to take a closer look at that.

@itsfi thanks for the comparison on the two masks, here's to hoping more come out with no alcohol ๐Ÿ˜‰

A "L" mask that brings on the vitamins!! L - vitamins - LuLuLun 2.jpg
LuLuLun Plus Fresh Red Sheet Mask claims to provide "youthful clarity" with its mix of vitamins and minerals. I was intrigued. Further research uncovered that this mask contains extracts of acerola and acai, which are good sources of vitamin C. The mask also contains vitamins B3, B5 and E. Acerola produces cherry-like berries, but is not a true cherry; it's a superfruit, containing 17 times more vitamin C than a lemon. The acerola used in this mask hails from Okinawa, Japan and, in addition to being loaded with vitamin C, it contains vitamin A (beta carotene) and vitamin E. A powerhouse vitamin mask!

Sheet Mask:
Spoiler
Material & EssenceThese LuLuLun Plus masks are different than the brand's popular daily sheet masks. This Plus series has two different series within the collection - an Aroma line and a Nature Care line; this Fresh Red sheet is part of the Nature Care line. The material in this LuLuLun Fresh Red Sheet Mask is a soft, cushiony, thick cotton. I was very impressed with how soft, light and comfortable this felt against my skin for being a thicker sheet mask. It felt like a soft blanket - comfy and cozy. The mask is saturated in a clear, unscented, watery essence. I could not pick up any scent from either the mask or the packet. Good for those with sensitivity to fragrance. 

Fit & Adherence: I found the size, shape and fit of this mask to be similar be standard - a smidge too wide all along the width, an inch too long at the chin and jawline and slight incisions and adjustments required to the corners of the eye and mouth openings. Adherence was great; I didn't experience any lifting during the 20 minutes I had on the mask (instructions suggest keeping it on for 10-15 minutes). 

Performance & Results: I experienced the slightest bit of tingling in my upper cheek area, which is not uncommon as that is one of the more sensitive areas of my face. I initially thought it might be because of all the vitamin C, but upon inspection of the inci list, I suspect it might have been the retinyl palmitate, a gentler alternative to retinol. I have a sensitivity to retinol so that likely explains the tingling - it was extremely mild and did not last long at all; felt like less than a minute. After tapping in the excess essence that sat atop my skin, my complexion looked and felt refreshed, hydrated. It looked more plump/bouncy as well, with a fresh faced brightness to it. There's a slight tacky-to-the touch feeling that eventually fades away. I don't mind it; I find it provides a nice little grip to my skincare that follows or when used as a skincare prep before makeup application. 

My Two Cents: I'm not sure about the "youthful clarity" claims but the results I obtained were nice. I've used a couple of masks from the LuLuLun Plus series and have enjoyed the ones I have use. The quality of the material and essence are good. Again, I am quite impressed with the feel and wear of a mask that leans on the thicker side. I wouldn't necessary consider these masks "must haves" but they are nice ones to have on hand and I plan to try out others in both lines within this collection. 

Ingredients:
from lululunusa (dot) com
Water, Glycerin, Propanediol, Xylitol, Diglycerin, Niacinamide, Sorbitol, Methylparaben, Polysorbate 60, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate, Tocopherol, Panthenol, Retinyl Palmitate, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Malpighia Emarginata (Acerola) Fruit Extract, Arachis Hypogaea (Peanut) Oil, Punica Granatum Flower Extract, Squalane
Lip Balm:
Spoiler
I didn't have any acerola-specific based lip products so I paired my mask with the next closest thing I had within my line of sight, SEPHORA COLLECTION Vegan Hydrating Lip Balm 3 Cherry. It's a light but thick-leaning balm that keeps my lips soft, moisturized and with a subtle hint of color. This balm, along with the other varietals in this line, has been a nice one to keep on hand to reapply during the day this winter season.

@itsfi the mask material sounds appealing. Similar to how charcoal masks tend to feel on the skin๐Ÿค”

I can't wait to try it!!! @eshoe 

2 Replies
testing