Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Two brands, one founder and owner. The last of my masks from last week.

K - womenโ€™s - peach & lily.jpg

Both of these masks are from brands founded and owned by Alicia Yoon. I've used both in the past; the wash off mask is a staple for me. 

Wash Off Mask:
Spoiler
Not only is the Peach & Lily Super Reboot Resurfacing Mask pretty to look at, it does a pretty darn good job at unclogging pores, refining texture and leaving skin soft and smooth. I occasionally use this all over my face, but its primary place in my masking library is to combat clogged pores and little bumps that crop up occasionally along my jawline. Because of its goopy consistency, application can get messy. I apply this with my fingers or a mask brush / spatula, the latter will make for a cleaner application but both work fine for me. I usually experience the slightest tingling, but every so often it may be more noticeable and last a smidge longer. 15 - 20 minutes with this turquoise blue gooey gel retexturizes my skin beautifully ~ it looks and feels a lot more smooth and just better, clearer, brighter.  ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Sheet Mask
Spoiler
These peach slices sheet masks were one of the first, or perhaps the first, line of sheet masks developed by Alicia Yoon. I like the playfulness of the peach slices collection - the bright colors and fun pattern are cheerful.

Material & Essence
: This thin cotton peach slices Firm Sheet Mask is saturated in a clear, watery essence. When I reached for this mask, I had a thought that it had a sweet and fruity scent to it, but that is not what I picked up this go around. The scent wasn't offensive but it definitely was not sweet or fruity as I expected. It leaned more herbaceous.

Adherence & Fit:  Adherence was wonderful and fit was generally good and was made better with some adjustments. The width is too wide, but not so much as to warrant cutting away parts of the mask - the strands of hair framing my face just got some extra TLC. lol. I snipped off about 3/4" inch from the chin / jawline and only deepened the slit near the inner corners of the eye to help the material lie better against my skin - zero concern with the material being too close or the essence falling into my eyes. Similarly I made a small cut to the corners of the mouth to help the material sit better. 

Performance & Results: I didn't feel any firming or lifting from the mask this time. What I did notice was that my skin looked more supple and plump and felt more bouncy. It also looked and felt very hydrated, which I loved. There was so much essence to this mask that I ended up leaving it on for 45 minutes and there was still a lot of essence remaining on the mask and atop my face after that time. My skin looked dewy, glowy and that radiance remained even after patting and pressing in the extra essence and waiting for it to be completely absorbed, which it did quickly. 

My Two Cents: I like the peach slices masks. While this firm variation is a good one, it's not my favorite in the collection. That said, I would consider picking up a handful of these firm masks and daily-sheet-masking (that's a legit verb in my household - hahaha!) with this version for a week, week-and-half to see if its firming and lifting claims are more noticeable with regular use. Hmm....making a note to consider this at some point. 

Spoiler
about the founder / owner
Spoiler
Alicia Yoon's foray into the world of skincare and specifically KBeauty was influenced by the skin issues, including severe eczema, she experienced growing up. That led her to attend aesthetician school in Korea, where she learned about ingredients, techniques and technologies in the Korean beauty space. She parlayed that experience into Peach & Lily, which, in 2012, started out as an online retailer for Korean beauty products. In the early days, she offered phone consultations, which included a list of recommended products and instructions on when and how to use them. She launched her own line four years later and has since, continued to grow her business and expand her product line.

@itsfi I do like this brand too, the resurfacing mask kinda reminds me of the #Herbivore Blue Tansy BHA and Enzyme Pore Refining Mask 2 oz/ 60 mL have you tried that one?

@lmaster, yes they are very similarly, in sorta the same color family as well! ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š Iโ€™ve used the Herbivore Blue Tansy and like it. I donโ€™t know if maybe the DS of the Herbivore that I had was older but I felt like I have more consistent good results from the Peach & Lily mask - I always feel like it does a good job of resurfacing my skin. There were times  when the Herbivore didnโ€™t seem like it did anything for my skin. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ It was surprising. 

@itsfi curious how often you use the wash-off mask. Also, on a scale of 1-10, 1 being 'so gentle you might miss it if you blink,' and 10 being 'WOAH, look out, skin!' how heavy duty is it? I see BHA, so that makes me think it might be off-limits for those with drier or sensitive skin? 

@eshoe, the degree of tingling varies from use to use for me. Some days itโ€™s a 1 or 2; other days itโ€™s a 6 or 7. But my 1 or 2, or 6 or 7, may not be the same as someone elseโ€™s. I imagine some factors for that includes how sensitive my skin is that particular day/time, and that may depend on a number of things as well, including how many and what other actives Iโ€™ve been using.

Regarding AHAs and BHAs, itโ€™s been said that AHA is better suited for those with dry skin and BHA for those with oily skin. My skin type ranges from dehydrated-dry to dehydrated-combo (leaning oily or dry depending on the time of year) and it can be sensitive to actives and certain ingredients. My skin has responded well throughout the year to both AHAs and BHAs, so I think that like with most things, thereโ€™s the general assumptions and suggestions but each personโ€™s skin is different and will react or tolerate different ingredients in different ways, depending on a host of factors including climate, other skincare products in use, etc. Iโ€™m mindful of the general take on AHA/BHA and try to take into account how each performs on my skin and go for what works best for it, and keeping aware of how frequently Iโ€™m using them and their concentration so that I donโ€™t over-exfoliate.

@itsfi  That resurfacing mask is a great one! I like your spatula! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you @PrettyPaint! I have all sorts of skincare tools that I forget about so I've pulled a few out and placed them in a cup next to some of my brushes, in the hopes that I will put them to use more often. We shall see... 

Ohhhh, the Peach & Lily resurfacing mask is a rediscovered love! It has been working wonders. I go back and forth on how I feel when it tingles - some days, usually when I don't experience any tingling, I think "ohhh, I wish it tingled / or tingled a bit more." Of course, on days the tingling sensation is stronger, I sometimes think "oooh, if only that were a little less pronounced..." Hahaha! Either way, the results really are fantastic! ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi  Great info on the founder!
This is a nice line of masks. I haven't tried the firming one yet, but so far I think my favorite is the Brightening one with Yuzu. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Which one is your favorite so far?

@Shosh85, that "brighten" (yuzu) mask is great! ๐Ÿ’› My favorites so far are that brighten one and the "travel" sheet mask. Those two stand out as being ones that I would repurchase; they're probably each masks I would repurchase as well for the specific purpose of comparing them to similar type of masks to see which of those masks perform better.

The "clarify" mask is also a good one and near the top of the pack; that one was a surprise for me (a good surprise). The "hydrate" one is fine enough, but I feel like there are so many masks out there that are good at hydrating the skin, like this "firm" one did as well, that that particular "hydrate" mask has stiffer competition. I don't know if I've used the "calm" or "shink pores" versions or if I did, it was a while ago and I don't have my notes for them anymore - eeeek! 

From last weekโ€™s K theme, a bit of Hello Kitty, Kiehlโ€™s & Korres:

6B8714BE-BB7A-4BE4-B45D-BED2DC60188D.jpeg

Spoiler
There was a tie-in to the Orjena Rice Mask at the time, but I didnโ€™t write it down and so much like the mask, I am coming up short๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ I will just move back to the beginning, with the Kiehl's Since 1851 Rare Earth Deep Pore Minimizing Cleansing Clay Mask. This is about what I would expect from a clay mask; pale gray tint, thick, easy to apply consistency, dries down but in a comfortable, soothing way, all while washing off with some gentle coaxing. 

The Korres Wild Rose Lip Butter has a deep red tint, gives off more of a fruity scent than Rose, and feels like what I would imagine butter to be if it were used as a balm. Which is not appealing in any sense, but somehow translates well!

I am a big fan of the Crรจme Shop Little Twin Stars Nose Strip, and expected much from its Sanrio sister, Hello Kitty. 
A10AF274-70FD-45D1-A33A-E53F00F280D4.jpeg2B12B7CA-2176-4B30-A1C0-382E5354C029.jpeg

Both photos are prior to use. The back has such an odd appearance in comparison to Biorรฉ strips. I thought I needed to peel something off, but after removing from the plastic cover, this is it. Unlike the LTS strip, this one left some of the adhesive on my nose after peeling it off ๐Ÿ˜ณ It will be interesting to try the next one, to see if it was just a fluke. I was not as impressed with the HK, which was a disappointment. Hopefully the next one will be better!

Finally, the Orjena Rice Natural Moisture Mask Sheet. It has a pretty short ingredient list, a bonus. I have tried another mask form this brand and found it to be decent, and this one proved to be even better. Fragrance is listed, but nothing stood out as over the top; more like the typical sheet mask scent. It did leave my skin feeling soothed and that is about all I could ask for right now:)

Ingredients:
Spoiler
Water, Methylpropanediol, Glycereth-26, Butylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Extract, Betaine, Xanthan Gum, Allantoin, Carbomer, Ethylhexylglycerin, Polysorbate 20, Triethanolamine, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance

Gotta love hello kitty!! @eshoe 

That's interesting about TCS nose strips @eshoe. Out of curiosity, I looked up the ingredients list for both items on The Creme Shop website and it seems that the inci lists for both are the same, including order of ingredients listed, except for one ingredient - the Hello Kitty version contains hydrolyzed collagen whereas the Little Twin Stars contain hyaluronic acid. Maybe that is what accounts, partially, for the different results. It's not uncommon for me to get different results regarding the adhesive, even among the same line of Biore nose strips.

The Creme Shop Bye Bye Blackheads - Hello Kitty 

from thecremeshop (dot) com

Water, PVP, Dimethicone Copolyol, Kaolin, VP/VA Copolymer, Titanium Dioxide, Propylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Butylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice

The Creme Shop Bye Bye Blackheads - Little Twin Stars 

from thecremeshop (dot) com

Water, PVP, Dimethicone Copolyol, Kaolin, VP/VA Copolymer, Titanium Dioxide, Propylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Butylene Glycol, Hyaluronic Acid, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice

That is so interesting about the one difference in ingredients, @itsfi. So that narrows it down - it's either that or the fact that I didn't keep the outside dry! @Shosh85 I am going to keep a close eye on that next time around ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

@eshoe  Oh, too bad about the nose strip! 

@PrettyPaint you win some, you lose some. At least it was cute! 

Now that's a full masking session @eshoe !  Wash off, lip, pore strip and a sheet mask!  I've using the Rare earth lately too.  I think it's fine, but unimpressive.  

It's feast or famine, @missjeanie  - some letters have all the luck ๐Ÿ˜„

@eshoe That's a lot of K's!

Interesting the Hello Kitty strip left some adhesive - that happens to me every once in a while with the Biore strips when I accidentally get the outside of it wet..... it's actually happened a lot to my husband, which is why he has me place them on him now ๐Ÿ˜‚ I'll be curious to try the one you gave me!

Oooooh @Shosh85 @itsfi that may be part of what caused the leftovers on my nose! The outside did get a bit wet. I will be careful not to let that happen next time, and hopefully will get better results. Also, that's so cute that you help your husband manage his pore strip application ๐Ÿ™‚

2nd this @Shosh85. I have a similar experience with the Biore nose strips. 

Well this one doesn't really fit into the theme, but since there's no expiration date on it, I was eager to try it soon. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

It's a bit of a stretch, but "K" does represent potassium in the periodic table, and bananas are full of potassium, so.....๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜‰

3030A2B4-3BC1-49AD-9BB9-5132C415AC17.jpeg

Spoiler

Ulta Beauty Natural Fiber Banana Sheet Mask

Material:

Pale yellow cotton, sort of in between thin and medium thickness

Serum:

Clear, slightly viscous. Not much extra

Scent:

It smelled like banana runts.... oh my goodness SO GOOD! It was light and actually wouldn't have minded it being a little stronger ๐Ÿ˜‹๐ŸŒ

Fit:

Just smidge too wide at the forehead and a tiny bit too long at the chin. Adherence was good as well

Wear Time:

Half hour

Tack:

Light, stuck around for about 10 minutes

Results:

Comfortably hydrated, soft and smooth skin with a nice glow.

Repurchase?

Dang it, I probably will! Haha! I'm just so frustrated there's no way to find out the expiration! If I knew the expiration dates I would DEFINITELY buy a bunch right now and stock up, but instead I'll probably just be buying them one or two at a time and try to use them soon after. It's hard enough to keep track of the masks I have that do have expiration dates. ๐Ÿ˜‰
9155AEB1-5A37-4E32-87E7-E2215D4C57B0.jpeg

testing