Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

If you havenโ€™t joined in yet, better late than never!

tenor

Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. 

This Weekโ€™s Theme: Blind Pick Your Mask! @veronika23 gave us this weekโ€™s daring challenge. Thank you bringing a little suspense into masking, lovely!๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ

Letter of the Week:  F

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.35.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.34.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 10.02.51 AM.png

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Got my vitamins in earlier this week, thanks to @Kim888's great masking challenge. 

Cucumber, a source of vitamin K, took center stage for Monday's after-work "time out". ๐Ÿ˜‰

When I think "cucumber", I think "refreshing" and I was looking for a little refreshment Monday night.When I think "cucumber", I think "refreshing" and I was looking for a little refreshment Monday night.

Sheet Mask:

Spoiler
Generally speaking, I prefer the original Biobelle sheet masks. Most of the newer masks from the brand fall short when compared to the original versions. There are, however, a couple of sheet masks from the new range that I don't mind and like even; one being this Biobelle #FreshPop Facial Mask Tones and Refreshes with Cucumber & Kiwi Extract, an ultra thin Botanic TMF Fiber mask (i.e., eucalyptus pulp mask that resembles Tencel) saturated in a clear, watery but not runny essence that has a subtle fresh scent to it. Adherence is great and fit can be tailored with a few cuts and adjustments here and there, including for me at the corners of the eyes and mouth, and along the chin and jawline. I didn't experience any of its toning claims but I found that it satisfied its claims to refresh and plump the skin. It also left my skin dewy with hydration, a plus for my dehydrated and dry skin this time of the year. This made for a good choice for unwinding and I could also see it working very well after a long day out in the sun in the warmer months. This is one I would happily use again.

PSA: Biobelle sheet masks are on sale at kohls (dot) com - $2.39, marked down from $3.99. For those who are fans of the older version of the Biobelle sheet masks, there are 3 different varieties  of the older Biobelle masks available online.

Ingredients:
Spoiler
(from ulta (dot) com)

Water, Glycerin, Methylpropanediol, Hydroxyacetophenone, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate, Carbomer, Allantoin, Ca eine, Tromethamine, Xanthan Gum, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Acetyl Glucosamine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Fragrance(Parfum), Althaea Rosea Flower Extract, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Actinidia Chinensis (Kiwi) Fruit Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract
Hand Mask:
Spoiler
I don't ordinarily use hand masks because I generally mask while I task, but decided to give myself a 15 minutes break from tasking with this Sephora Collection Clean Hand Mask (Cucumber). These are fine; I like having a couple of these masks on hand (hahaha!) for times when I just want to unwind or as a quick, last minute option to include in a gift bag. This cucumber version is part of the new Sephora Collection Clean line - it smells nice, like cucumber and something else (that I can't pinpoint), and has the cutest cucumber print on them. The serum in this one feels cooling and leaves the slightest bit of tack even after it dries down, which actually works well when following up with a hand cream. These have always made nice gifts and will continue to be repurchased.
L - vitamins - cucumber hand mask.jpg
Lip Care:
Spoiler
Elizabeth W Cucumber Lip Balm smells like ... cucumber - fresh and refreshing, does a decent job of keeping my lips soft and moisturized. One of the brand's storefronts is located in San Francisco's Ghirardelli Square, which is where I discovered it pre-covid while waiting for out-of-town guests to finish their tour of the Bay. Yes, we had ice cream afterwards. Of course we did. It's a nice balm and having reached for this, I'm making a note to see if the storefront is still open; if so, I'd like to go back and pick up some more treats. I meant from the store, not (just) the ice creamery next door! lol.
SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Hand Mask Cucumber 

@itsfi  I still haven't got around to trying that sheet mask, but it's good to hear you enjoyed it! Love a good cucumber mask! ๐Ÿฅ’

If only we could get to all of them at once, right @Shosh85?!! ๐Ÿ˜† Itโ€™s a nice one; itโ€™s one from the newer version that I like.

@itsfi ohhh cucumber does look so refreshing! Great line up

Thank you @lmaster! Cucumber is definitely refreshing! ๐Ÿฅ’ 

What a fun theme, @itsfi! The cucumber balm sounds really refreshing, like it would be great for a warm summer day. 

@quspork, the balm would be great for warm days; I could see this entire trio working out very nicely on a summer's day.

This is from last week (Female-owned brands). That being said, I'm not 100% certain this is female owned, but to the best of my ability it seems to be:

Seolreim Cosmetics: Blooming Cell Pink Peel 2 Step Mask

-It comes with toner (it's just liquid in the package, so I put it on a cotton pad). The toner contains lactic acid. The mask portion contains green tea and honey. The mask fabric was very soft and comfy to wear, and the serum was a bit milky in consistency. My skin felt nice and bouncy and moisturized.

-It didn't have instructions for wear time, so I kept it on for about 20 minutes. 

-I think this is a woman-founded company. It looks like Seolreim Cosmetics was developed by dermatologists in the Seolreim Skin Clinic, which is run by female dermatologists.

1.png2.png

@PrettyPaint  Ahh, milky serum and moisturized bouncy skin sounds so nice! Did it smell like green tea or honey? 

@PrettyPaint sounds like a nice multi step mask

@lmaster  It was good! I always drip the toner out of the foils, though!

Ooh, this sounds like a nice multi-stepper, @PrettyPaint!

@quspork  Thanks so much!

@PrettyPaint, the packaging on this one is beautiful. ๐Ÿ’– I've not heard of this brand but am adding it to my list. Both steps of the mask sound wonderful and your results too!  When the instructions are in Korean, I usually look at the illustrations and what's written in Korean on the reverse side to see if there's any reference to numbers. There's a 10 ~ 20 in the box where the illustrations are located. I was told once that that is usually the recommended wear time for most sheet masks, so your 20 minute wear time was completely on point! ๐Ÿ˜

@itsfi  Oh my goodness - thanks so much for the tip on time. That totally makes sense and is good to know. I usually aim for 20 minutes with most masks, but it's good to have an idea of the recommendation.

This looks sooooo familiar, @PrettyPaint! Do you remember where you found this? It sounds like a lovely mask, green tea + honey ๐Ÿ™‚ 

@eshoe  I am so bad about remembering things like this, but I'm pretty sure this one was from facetory. 

Two brands, one founder and owner. The last of my masks from last week.

K - womenโ€™s - peach & lily.jpg

Both of these masks are from brands founded and owned by Alicia Yoon. I've used both in the past; the wash off mask is a staple for me. 

Wash Off Mask:
Spoiler
Not only is the Peach & Lily Super Reboot Resurfacing Mask pretty to look at, it does a pretty darn good job at unclogging pores, refining texture and leaving skin soft and smooth. I occasionally use this all over my face, but its primary place in my masking library is to combat clogged pores and little bumps that crop up occasionally along my jawline. Because of its goopy consistency, application can get messy. I apply this with my fingers or a mask brush / spatula, the latter will make for a cleaner application but both work fine for me. I usually experience the slightest tingling, but every so often it may be more noticeable and last a smidge longer. 15 - 20 minutes with this turquoise blue gooey gel retexturizes my skin beautifully ~ it looks and feels a lot more smooth and just better, clearer, brighter.  ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Sheet Mask
Spoiler
These peach slices sheet masks were one of the first, or perhaps the first, line of sheet masks developed by Alicia Yoon. I like the playfulness of the peach slices collection - the bright colors and fun pattern are cheerful.

Material & Essence
: This thin cotton peach slices Firm Sheet Mask is saturated in a clear, watery essence. When I reached for this mask, I had a thought that it had a sweet and fruity scent to it, but that is not what I picked up this go around. The scent wasn't offensive but it definitely was not sweet or fruity as I expected. It leaned more herbaceous.

Adherence & Fit:  Adherence was wonderful and fit was generally good and was made better with some adjustments. The width is too wide, but not so much as to warrant cutting away parts of the mask - the strands of hair framing my face just got some extra TLC. lol. I snipped off about 3/4" inch from the chin / jawline and only deepened the slit near the inner corners of the eye to help the material lie better against my skin - zero concern with the material being too close or the essence falling into my eyes. Similarly I made a small cut to the corners of the mouth to help the material sit better. 

Performance & Results: I didn't feel any firming or lifting from the mask this time. What I did notice was that my skin looked more supple and plump and felt more bouncy. It also looked and felt very hydrated, which I loved. There was so much essence to this mask that I ended up leaving it on for 45 minutes and there was still a lot of essence remaining on the mask and atop my face after that time. My skin looked dewy, glowy and that radiance remained even after patting and pressing in the extra essence and waiting for it to be completely absorbed, which it did quickly. 

My Two Cents: I like the peach slices masks. While this firm variation is a good one, it's not my favorite in the collection. That said, I would consider picking up a handful of these firm masks and daily-sheet-masking (that's a legit verb in my household - hahaha!) with this version for a week, week-and-half to see if its firming and lifting claims are more noticeable with regular use. Hmm....making a note to consider this at some point. 

Spoiler
about the founder / owner
Spoiler
Alicia Yoon's foray into the world of skincare and specifically KBeauty was influenced by the skin issues, including severe eczema, she experienced growing up. That led her to attend aesthetician school in Korea, where she learned about ingredients, techniques and technologies in the Korean beauty space. She parlayed that experience into Peach & Lily, which, in 2012, started out as an online retailer for Korean beauty products. In the early days, she offered phone consultations, which included a list of recommended products and instructions on when and how to use them. She launched her own line four years later and has since, continued to grow her business and expand her product line.

@itsfi I do like this brand too, the resurfacing mask kinda reminds me of the #Herbivore Blue Tansy BHA and Enzyme Pore Refining Mask 2 oz/ 60 mL have you tried that one?

@lmaster, yes they are very similarly, in sorta the same color family as well! ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š Iโ€™ve used the Herbivore Blue Tansy and like it. I donโ€™t know if maybe the DS of the Herbivore that I had was older but I felt like I have more consistent good results from the Peach & Lily mask - I always feel like it does a good job of resurfacing my skin. There were times  when the Herbivore didnโ€™t seem like it did anything for my skin. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ It was surprising. 

@itsfi curious how often you use the wash-off mask. Also, on a scale of 1-10, 1 being 'so gentle you might miss it if you blink,' and 10 being 'WOAH, look out, skin!' how heavy duty is it? I see BHA, so that makes me think it might be off-limits for those with drier or sensitive skin? 

1 Reply