Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Sooooooo gorgeous!!! @itsfi that has to be the prettiest mask I've seen

So many of the no:hj masks (and packaging) are just so pretty @lmaster! I'll need to do some research to see which ones have been well reviewed by folks here. Right now, it's on the short list of brands I'll want to explore more later in the year. Must focus on making my sheet mask library more like a quaint local branch and not the Smithsonian. Hahaha! ๐Ÿคฃ

@itsfi  A beautiful mask with fantastic results definitely sounds like a winner to me! Happy to hear this was such a lovely experience! ๐Ÿ˜Š

@Shosh85, itโ€™s been fun discovering new to me masks and this is one of them. Iโ€™ve only tried a couple of masks from this line. May need to try some more.

Love the design on this one, @itsfi- so pretty! I'm like you I usually much prefer a wash-off mud or clay mask to really see the benefits, so it's nice to hear this one lived up to its claims!

@quspork, something about the wash off clay / mud masks just appeals to me. ๐Ÿ˜ This mask wouldn't replace those in my routine but it's nice to have a sheet mask option that's not messy and does a nice job at that and with giving my skin some hydration. Doesn't hurt that it's such a pretty mask as well. ๐Ÿ˜€

Everything's coming up roses! Or so I had hoped with this group of beauties.

K - women founded - rose.jpg

Sheet Mask:

Spoiler

The by Terry Baume de Rose Hydrating Rose Mask and I were not meant to be. Sigh. โ˜น๏ธ If I'm remembering right, @lmaster also used this mask and didn't have an ideal experience with it either - is that right, lmaster? I tried looking for your post but couldn't find it.

My use of the mask started off well, with me pulling out the 2-piece hydrogel from the packet. 2-piece masks generally fit better or can be more easily adjusted for a better fit. I have mixed feelings about the scent on this one - the rose scent I like; the slight smell of plastic I could do without.  It's a medium thick hydrogel mask with what seems like pieces of rose enmeshed in the hydrogel - a very nice and luxe touch. It being in 2 pieces helped with the adherence in that I didn't initially experience any slippage.

The overall width and length were great. The bottom half of the 2-pieces fit nicely. The problem rested with the top half. And lemme tell, it was a comedy of errors. Perhaps user error. The cutouts or openings for the eyes were ... interesting in shape and placement. They're wide enough from top to bottom but the same sadly could not be said for their width. 

Also, much like the material for the nose, there's a lot of hydrogel for the area between the eyes (the nose bridge, yes?), and the material was just too close to my eyes all around. Nothing to alarmed about, I thought. That's what my handy dandy mini scissors are for. I made my usual incisions and attempted to then fold the material up / down and over to make more space. Sadly, the hydrogel did not want to cooperate with my attempt to perform sheet mas surgery, slapping itself back against my skin and on some occasion right onto my eye. Fortunately, as is the case with most hydrogel, there's not an abundance of excess essence so nothing fell into my eyes, but this repeated itself with the same results each of the few times I tried to adjust the mask.

Eventually, part of the side of the mask tore and then the top half all came tumbling down and onto the bathroom floor. Followed by the bottom half when I bent down to pick it up. Such was my experience with this mask. Womp, womp. lol. This one started off well; I could see it being a nice mask for someone who wouldn't need to make adjustments to the eye area. I think that's where it went wrong for me. I fared better with the hair and lip care portions of my masking. 

by Terry is a woman founded and owned brand.

About the founder:

Spoiler
Terry de Gunzburg founded by Terry in 2000. Her path to the beauty industry started when she took a 4-week course on makeup while a medical student. Since then, she has worked with many greats in the industry, including Yves Saint Laurent where she created the famous Touche Eclat concealer in 1992. Six years later she started her own brand, which took inspiration from her own preferences for makeup - a radiant but natural looking base, thick lashes and a perfect pout. Interestingly, her most famous product, the Baume de Rose, was the result of a mix up - the consistency of the lip balm wasn't originally intended to be as rich and buttery as we know it - twice the amount of rose butter was inadvertently added in the lab and voila, a cult classic was born.

Hair Mask:

Spoiler

I've posted about the tgin (Thank God It's Natural) Rose Water Hydrating Hair Mask a few times. In addition to its lovely rose scent, this is a light mask that makes my hair soft, smooth and moisturized without weighing it down. A little goes a long way so this tub will last me a while. I first heard about this beauty from another beauty, the amazing @lmaster! Lmaster has gorgeous curls; her hair is full, thick and healthy. My hair, on the other hand, consists of a lot of fine, straight strands. This seems like a mask that would work for different hair types.

tgin is a woman founded, owned and BIPOC brand. 

About the founder:

Spoiler
Chris-Tia Donaldson is a Harvard law school graduate, breast cancer survivor and founder of the Chicago-based natural hair care line, tgin (Thank God It's Natural). Her products focus on natural ingredients. She started making her products in her kitchen in 2013 and, in the course of two years, turned her company into a million dollar business. She continues to oversee the day-to-day operations of her brand and has also created the tgin Foundation, a nonprofit with a 3-fold mission: (1) to provide support for uninsured women undergoing breast cancer treatment; (2) to shine a light on the health disparities on survivor outcomes and to (3) encourage early detention for women under the age of 40.

Lip Care:

Spoiler

Lip scrubs and balms are favorites of mine. Like sheet masks and skincare products, lip scrubs and balms are near and dear to my heart. I have oldies but goodies that have proven to be difficult to part and at the same time, I love trying out new products. Which is what lead me to the lip care products from KNC Beauty. Both the KNC Beauty Lip Scrub and the KNC Beauty Lip Balm have a lovely rose scent to them. The brand also carries a mint flavored lip balm - I think that may be the one that Sephora carries. While it can present a bit of a challenge to get the products out of their tubes, once you do, the products perform beautifully. The scrub comes in a set with a super cute lip shaped scrubber for when you want a little extra exfoliating power. It's adorable and functional (a fabulous combo) but the scrub by itself would be enough to get in some good exfoliation. The lip balm is a great follow up as it's thick without being too heavy and moisturizing without being goopy and gooey. My lips feel soft, smooth and moisturized after this combo.

KNC Beauty is a woman founded, owned and BIPOC brand.

About the founder:

Spoiler
The KNC in KNC Beauty stands for its founder, Kristin Noel Crawley. The brand's first product, a bright pink hued hydrogel lip mask was based off of the lip masks she first came across on a trip to Tokyo. Her all-natural version took two years. Since then, she's added an under eye mask, 3 sheet masks and lip care in the form of the lip scrub and lip balms in 2 different flavors.

KNC Beauty Lip Scrub 0.5 oz 

KNC Beauty Lip Balm .30 oz/ 10.5g 

Wow this looks amazing ๐Ÿ˜ป 

Thank you @Edras82!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ The sheet mask might work better for others than it did for me; thatโ€™s just how it goes, isnโ€™t it?! The hair mask and the lip scrub and balm are great! Iโ€™ll be interested to see how both those brands will expand their collections in the future! โ™ฅ๏ธ

@itsfi  Oh my, that By Terry mask sounds like a big flop. ๐Ÿ˜† Glad everything else was enjoyable! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Haha @Shosh85! Youโ€™re the best! A flop indeed! ๐Ÿ˜† It was like a comedy show, pieces of the mask just kept hitting me in the  eye over and over again. And then it met its demise on the floor. Hahaha! ๐Ÿ˜‚

I did use it @itsfi I just have not posted about it yet, but I was completely disappointed!! 

Yeah, not a great experience @lmaster. Iโ€™ll stick to their beauty products! ๐Ÿ˜‰

The prettiest packaging (great theme, @Kim888!) I could find in my stash was a repeat and a treat:

CCDAC54C-5831-488F-9F6A-C5DE6C183B35.jpeg

Spoiler
This Jayjun Anti-Pollution Mask (thank you so much, sweet @faeriegirl!) is one of my favorite multi-step masks. The Step One cleansing foam is gentle on my skin. Step Two is a soft green, milky-serum soaked mask that feels like nothing on. It is thin and adheres beautifully. The material is similar to the Heimish pH5.5 mask; it is easy to forget you are even wearing it. Step Three is a moisturizer that absorbs quickly and leaves my skin adequately hydrated through the night, so that I donโ€™t wake up with patches skin. Love this one, and the accompanying green tea eye gels! The innisfree My Lip Balm Wild Hibiscus is a great little tinted matte balm. I have wanted to try other โ€˜flavorsโ€™ out of curiosity, but am diligently finishing a few on hand before restocking any more lip products. I think they secretly multiple in my drawer!

For this weekโ€™s challenge:

214EBABC-388D-4EDF-930D-1C7A5196AFF7.jpeg

Spoiler
@Aaliaa originated this weekโ€™s theme, and a couple of years ago everyone helped to compile a list of female-owned brands. That was a huge help, not to mention fun! 

I am sadly nearing the end of my Summer Fridays R + R Mask 2.25 oz/ 64 g. I would repurchase in a travel size in a heartbeat, only because physically-exfoliating products tend to be too harsh on my skin, but I do enjoy this one once in awhile. The scent is such a pretty fruity-rose, and my skin never feels dry after using. 

The Wander Beauty Lip Retreat Oil and Wander Beauty Baggage Claim Eye Masks 6 x Eye Masks are both enjoyable to use. I donโ€™t notice much of a difference after using the eye gels, but they are soothing and give a little extra under eye love while masking. The lip oil, I love. It wears like a gloss, rather than a thin oil.

The Briogeo Merry Multi-Masking Kit ft. Donโ€™t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Honey Bear Hair Mask is nourishing and more of a light-medium weight hair mask. There is a Virtual Masterclass today with  founder Nancy Twine and dermatologist Jessica Wiser, if anyone is interested:
Finally, a little Glow Recipe Mini Watermelon + AHA Glow Sleeping Mask 1 oz/ 30 mL to seal everything in. This used to cause pilling for me, but over the past few months (and a new jar), it hasnโ€™t. Makes me curious as to whether it is the product or my skin, but either way, it makes me very happy as it is so enjoyable to use! 

@eshoe your photo is so pretty!! 

Awww thank you, @lmaster ๐Ÿฅฐ

@eshoe  JayJun really makes some pretty packaging! The sheet mask sounds wonderful-  so happy to hear you loved it! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I am going through so many filler masks right now @Shosh85, that extra-comfy ones like this really stand out! I hope they keep making this one, I would like to pick up a 10-pack eventually:)

So many goodies here, @eshoe - I really like the Wander lip oils too. They should really get more love!

I agree, @quspork! I actually forgot that I even had this, so was happy to find it and put it to use. I should just wear it as a gloss-it feels like it and I would rather use it up than let it expire! Do you have a favorite lip oil ?

I'm the same way, @eshoe - I should really trim down the lip balm/oil/gloss collection, but it's so hard! I keep coming back to the Ciate oils every time I stray, so I think those are a current favorite. What about you? Do you have a fave lip oil?

2 Replies
testing