Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi   Yeah Iโ€™m just trying to use products but thought Iโ€™d attempt to be on theme.  Itโ€™s a delicious smelling mask.  I believe I got this one in an Ipsy bag.  Ha, Iโ€™m trying so hard not to have a serious list and am talking myself down when I make them.  I caught myself today looking at new skincare releases, had some in my cart and went and looked at my newly organized skincare to take the โ€˜needโ€™ away.  Seeing what I already have in distinct sections by category is helping- for now.  
If I see a bunch of you start raving about something itโ€™s all over.  Iโ€™m just looking for an excuse๐Ÿ˜…

@heartsmyface, you're so good! ๐Ÿค—

It's two J for J-Beauty masks and an artistic mask from last week!

J Beauty 1.png

Dr. Dermach Dancing Whale I'm Fine Moisturizing Mask:
Spoiler
Compromised, dull skin will find this mask to be just what the doctor (in this case Dr. Dermach) ordered. Hahaha! I reached for Dr. Dermach Dancing Whale I'm Fine Moisturizing Mask on an evening when my skin was particularly sensitive. Upon application, I immediately noticed how soothing and calming the mask felt. I experienced a slight and fleeting tingling, on the parts of my face that are typically sensitive, but it didn't cause any concern as it dissipated quickly. The cotton fiber mask is slightly thinner than your standard medium thick sheet mask and adhered well and comfortably for the entire half hour I wore the mask. Like most sheet masks, fit can be made to work and isn't a deal breaker. Nor is the added fragrance in this mask, though my preference would be that it is not present. Scent-wise, there's a very, very subtle and pleasant herbal and floral scent. Neither is overpowering or dominating; the floral scent seems like a general floral bouquet scent. After removing the mask and pressing in the extra essence that remained, my skin looked and felt soft and nourished. I went into this masking sesh without any expectations really. This was the first I've heard of this brand and my first artistic mask from last week. Great idea for a theme @Kim888! The whale art illustrated on the front of the packet was designed by visual artist Novo, who I read hoped to bring through his art work on these masks, brightness to modern people who are weary. A lovely sentiment. 
Pure Smile Horse Oil Essence Mask Sheet (LE Hello Kitty edition):
Spoiler
Material: Medium-thick cotton mask with a bit more stretch to it than your typical sheet mask.

Essence: Clear, slightly viscous essence with a noticeable scent that seemed familiar to me but that I could not place. There's enough essence to cover but not saturate the mask; felt a little light on essence compared to most sheet masks I've used, including others from this brand.

Fit: This felt slightly larger (length and width-wise) compared to a standard sheet mask and included eye flaps. A better fit can be had with adjustments to the corners of the eyes and mouth. 

Claim(s): Brings back elasticity and glow to tired skin; tightens and firms, and moisturizes.

Performance and Results: Slight tacky to the touch feel upon removing the mask and patting in the little essence that remains. The tack dissipates completely once the essence has been completely absorbed, leaving skin feeling moisturized and slightly bouncy. 

My Two Cents: Pure Smile masks are the quintessential filler masks, good for daily masking. This one seemed maybe slightly more moisturizing than others from the line. As with other Pure Smile masks, while it's not one that I'd consider a "must have" masks, it's certainly one that I would hesitate to use again if I had it lying around.

Hair Oil: I first learned of the Sonbahyu Pure Horse Oil on this thread, from the fabulous @heartsmyface! I used it as as hair mask. Left it on for the entire time I had on the Hello Kitty Horse Oil mask and then washed it out. To my delight, my hair looked and felt soft and silky smooth; it felt moisturized without being weighed down. Will be incorporating this into my hair care routine. 
Skin Inc. Pure Deepsea Hydrating Overnight Mask:
Spoiler
This clear gel feels cooling on my face, which lends itself to a nice soothing effect, making this a nice last step before crawling into bed and calling it a night. It claims to hydrate, clarify and brighten the skin overnight and I have to say that it does a fine job of it. I'm not sure why it took me so long to give this one a go; ohhhh, wait. I know why. Too many masks; just one face. Fortunately, the former is getting smaller and smaller, which is a good thing because the latter is what it is. Hahaha! If I didn't have more sleeping masks to work my way through, I would pick up a full size of Skin Inc. Pure Deepsea Hydrating Overnight Mask. For now, I'll add it to my list until it's time to add it to my collection. 

@itsfi  Oooh, the Skin Inc mask sounds wonderful! I'm curious, does it have a scent? I have a feeling this is one I'll need to pick up soon! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

The hair oil sounds so nice! Never thought about using horse oil for hair - definitely something I need to try sometime!

Oh, good question @Shosh85Hold, please (queue music in the background while I grab the packet). 

There is the very subtlest scent at the very beginning and then nothing. For a nanosecond, I thought I picked up a very, very, very slight scent of lychee (of all things). I was so surprised that I squeezed out another little bit and I did that 3 other times. Ha! It's very lightly, almost imperceptibly, fruity, but then I don't pick up anything when I go in for a second sniff. 

From an ingredients perspective, no added fragrance. Here's what's listed on the brand's website for the sleeping mask. These are the same ingredients listed and in the same order, as on the back of my foil sample.

Water/Aqua/Eau, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Algae Extract, Natto Gum, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Potassium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA

@itsfi  Oh thank you! Yup, definitely sounds like something I *need* to buy! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@itsfi I love the skin inc brand! 

Oooh, what products have you tried from the brand @lmaster? I have a few serums I want to go through but Iโ€™m definitely interested in exploring Skin Inc more. โ™ฅ๏ธ

Well,, my most favorite @itsfi is my daily dose of uplift, I've went through three bottles already ๐Ÿ˜† it seems to be disappearing from the sites I used to purchase it from,,, I hope they don't discontinue it ๐Ÿ™„

@lmaster, not the dreaded โ€œdโ€ word?!! The trend of discontinuing our faves needs to stop. ๐Ÿคช It looks like that serum is available direct from the brand and they have a โ€œsubscribe and saveโ€ feature too.

Oh that's awesome to know!! Thank you I did just recently buy a bottle for about $12 I think through boxycharm before I cancelled the sub @itsfi 

Whoa!! $12 @lmaster!!! ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ Thatโ€™s awesome! You canceled your Boxcharm sub box? Just too many things/subs? Or was it the contents of the boxes?

@itsfi it's the products, some are very appealing,,, but I never end up getting those products ๐Ÿ™„

@itsfi  Ack!  I love that horse oil!  You just made me kick myself for not thinking of it to soothe mask irritation!  The linolenic acid is an anti inflammatory and acts as a skin barrier!   ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ

@heartsmyface, ooooh!!! Do you think it would be too much to apply it before putting on the mask? I mean, as part of a skincare routine, not literally right before putting on the mask?

@itsfi   The mask might get oily but I care not:)   Iโ€™m going to try it out tomorrow.  If anything itโ€™ll be soothing for after wear but Iโ€™m willing to sacrifice a mask for science:) 

@heartsmyface, I'm going to move the jar back onto the counter for after-care. ๐Ÿ‘ Maybe I'll try a super simple routine tomorrow and wait for the horse oil to fully absorb before heading out with my mask. It seems every week brings a new skin sensitivity to combat so I'm up for trying most anything.

Iโ€™m doing a large product purge this past few weeks and am on to clay/cream masks now.  J is for just using things up.  

This is my second use of the Glamglow pink gravity mud this week.  The tiny pot had just enough for two generous applications.  Iโ€™ve loved this peel off mask with its light coconuty scent for years in all its variations (I have a few) but itโ€™s time to use them or toss them.  

282D5100-A830-4244-BCEF-87C8A830DB3C.jpeg

โ€ƒ

5DF3F6A0-39A9-4706-8A55-422E310FF2FE.jpeg

@heartsmyface  Oh, I love it! ๐Ÿ’– Glamglow has definitely got some great smelling products! ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85  Yes!!  And Iโ€™m forever appreciative of the little pink spatulas that come with their masks!  I still struggle applying any cream/clay mask smoothly but they help.  

Another +1 on that lovely Glamglow scent, @heartsmyface 

14 Replies
testing