Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

πŸ’•πŸ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge πŸ˜ŒπŸ’–

If you haven’t joined in yet, better late than never!

tenor

We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome.

This Week’s Theme: Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar that give your skin the perfect AM glow! Another nod to @keana1 for this week’s challengeπŸ™ŒπŸΌ

Letter of the Week:  M

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 10.02.51 AM.png
motw1.png

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masksπŸ’—

Re: πŸ’•πŸ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge πŸ˜ŒπŸ’–

Oh ya.... I forgot you guys don't really do cream eggs down south @itsfi.. They're such a sugar rush, but I can't help loving them.  I may or may not stockpile the cream eggs and the Cadbury Mini Eggs this time of year.  Such delicious sugary sugary eggs.  

I've been masking, I just, my skincare was being awful (too much AHA) and I was feeling meh about posting about it. 

Spoiler
Seriously why does everything need to have AHAs, I hate it, I just want to use my AHAs when I want on their own. I asked about this in the OLEHENRIKSEN masterclass, and he was like, well if you have sensitive skin, it likely means it's dry, so you should be using AHAs and I just wanted to be like, but I do, but when they're in every product, my skin can't handle that much cause I could layer like 5 products that contain it. This skincare trend needs to end. Fin rant.

"I" or "Snubbed" 

IMG_20210301_021703.jpg

I'm impatient to be done with the PTR masks. The smell of the pumpkin one is too sickening sweet and the granules are annoying to get off completely. I usually use a makeup eraser to take off masks, but this needs like a bunch of rinses with water which makes a mess. The warming hydrating mask, I actually like, but the tub formula makes it difficult to get out, I lose a lot of product digging it out and just prefer a tube, it works better to spread as well. 

I recently received this Innisfree set as a gratis from Topbox Circle for my review and am currently testing. I've tried the mask twice nice, so on first thoughts, it's an okay clay mask (I'm using in place of a weelly charcoal type mask). I have dry skin, so am not the target for this mask. That being said, it is creamy, so it never really dries down even with the two different types of clay and doesn't leave my skin feeling too tight. It does an okay job at pore clearing, but nothing special. Something in it irritated my partner's oily skin when he applied his moisturizer after, but he is normally using Supermud, so am not sure what it was. I'll test a few more weeks. Also, again, why there gotta be AHAs in this!! 

Spoiler
Also, LMK if y'all don't want gratis type things posted here. I try to be honest with my thoughts, but totally understand!! 

Sheet masks in general are my snubbed category, although I've been using a lot more this year and can't seem to stop acquiring them. I loved the LancΓ΄me Genefique mask. It was a hydrogel (yay!) That left my skin smooth and plump for at least a day. It didn't really provide radiance.  It's expensive, but definitely a worth it treat myself mask. I'd put it in the same category (although they would serve different purposes for me), as the 111 skin masks. Perfect for a pamper day or before a big event depending on what my skin needed. A-/B+. 

I also used the Midflower hylauronic acid mask which is one of the best hydrating masks I've ever tried. I'm so sad I'm out of them. 

Another snubbed category or subcategory are eye patches. I usually wear eye patches for when I'm at a work conference and I've been "networking." Obviously that hasn't happened for a while. I did have to do a webinar where I was being recorded and haven't been sleeping in general, so I decided to try these Patchology rye hydrogels. The best thing about them I'd that they are sparkly. Wow, these are so heavy they do not stay in place at all. If I was laying down, sure, but I wear eye patches in the morning when I am up and doing things. They provide a bit of moisture and some brightening. C+.

"H" or Masks Good Enough to Eat 

IMG_20210301_021840.jpg

BubbleT. Disappointing, no scent. Did provide some hydration. C-. 

Mediheal Honey. Didn't really smell like honey. These were just okay. Good filler but didn't live up to their promises. B-. 

JayJun. These are some of the best smelling masks I've ever used. The scent might be overpowering if you're sensitive. (Weirdly, I'm sensitive to scents, but maybe I just liked so much). Provides brightening and hydration. B+.

Huxley. Such a luxe oil mask. I keep forgetting that they're an oil mask though and not applying all of my serums before using. A-.  

"G" or Oddball Ingredients 

IMG_20210301_014306.jpg

Steam, to me, was a new oddball ingredient. This provided a bit of relief on a tough migraine day. A-. 

Glamglow Gravitymud. Two G's! Fun, not sure it does anything, but pretty and I'll use up what I have. 

Frudia Snail Green mask. Double bonus for meeting both the letter and the theme! Snail is probably not too oddball anymore though, but I hadn't tried any. Unfortunately this one was a bit disappointing. It was fine, but I was hoping for a wow of moisturizing and nurturing and that this didn't provide. B/B-. 

Tonymoly Caviar mask. Again caviar isn't that unusual. Look, I had to stretch a bit this week!! Plus bonus incentive for using up these play masks. These are much better than the other Tony Moly masks I've tried, the "I'm" masks. They're still just an okay filler mask though. B-.

Lots of masking here @haleyvvvv! πŸ˜€ For the PTR masks, do you have a mini beauty spatula that you can repurpose from another product, to use to scoop out the product? I save mine from cleansers or eye creams for that purpose. Too bad the bubble-T sheet masks didn't have a scent - I love how their shower gels smell. Loooove the steam eye masks. I keep a couple on my nightstand. 

So much masking!! 

@itsfi , I've used both a spatula and a brush. For the hydrating one, it's just getting a little older I think, and with the tub, it just kinda crumbles, as opposed to thr a tube where it is smoothed out as it gets squeezed out, I think. For the pumpkin mask, it's a mess when I wash it off, a brush works well to apply. 

I've booked marked where to get these masks when I finish all of the steam masks I have. These ones are real winners!! 

The PTR masks can be a pain to wash off @haleyvvvv. I use the same approach as @missjeanie for those types of wash off mask and rinse off in the shower. Yeah, the hydrating one would definitely benefit from being in tube form. Many wash off masks could benefit from that packaging. Maybe a repackaging will be in the works. 🀞🏼 

I love your mask compilations @haleyvvvv!

The innisfree looks like a great set (congrats!)  for someone with different skin needs than dry ones, it seems! There seems to be an over abundance of clay/detox and exfoliating masks, that is for sure. It also seems like acids and enzymes are going into everything, so it is easy to over do it unintentionally πŸ˜₯ 

Also...I think I have that Huxley mask, good to know ahead of time!!! Boo to migraines, hope your month is better.

@eshoe, the Innisfree mask works as a spot treatment for all skin types except perhaps those with sensitive skin. I’ve found the Innisfree green tea hydrating serum in the set works nicely for dry skin types, as does the Innisfree orchid moisturizer in the set, though the latter is more heavily fragranced if that is a concern. @haleyvvvv 

Good to know about the innisfree, @itsfi! I am filing a mental note to try the serum at some point. Their volcano mask is so good.

@eshoe, if you are interested in trying out the Innisfree green tea serum after your no-buy, both Sephora and Innisfree (direct) usually have foil samples of the serum you can add to your cart with a purchase.

Thank you, @eshoe!! I'm still testing out the other products, but the mask definitely isn't super recommended for dry skin. 

Acids and enzymes in everything!! I guess it'll mean I use less steps? Although like, my 10+ step routine is a great way to get through my product backlog πŸ˜…

The Huxley is so lovely, it'll be such a nice, luxe experience when you use!! 

One (or now two) migraines over a month isn't so bad. Thank you!! 

I am with you on the multi-step routine, @haleyvvvv. It’s soothing. If I get to a point where it becomes cumbersome, then it will be time to reevaluate. But you bring up a really good point. there are so many products now that are appealing, but I shouldn’t even try, much less buy, with a 10-step routine. Even if everything is gentle enough to use daily (on its own) it all adds up quickly. Just thinking about...

• enzyme cleaner
  • Glowy toner (thx to acids)
  • acidic serums
  • acidic sleeping mask

No wonder dry skin can get so angry so fast! This is such a good reminder to either lighten up the routine, or minimize the aggravation to the skin barrier:)

@haleyvvvv  So much masking! I feel ya about the AHA's - I've made some mistakes with some products before 😬

The JayJun masks are nice - they really do smell great! πŸ˜ƒ

So much masking!!

I'm sorry to hear, @Shosh85!! I think we all have an experience with too much AHAs. 

Yes, they do often have a great scent!!

@haleyvvvv  First: I love the mask assortment you've run through! I'm glad to hear the Innisfree clay mask isn't drying. I haven't tried that one but I have a sample on deck to test. 

Next: I have many thoughts about AHAs being in all of the things: 

Spoiler
I also like to control when I use AHA, and it usually ticks me off to see specifically glycolic acid in a product not marketed as an exfoliant. It's so easy to over-exfoliate with glycolic acid. Lactic acid I can kinda understand being in so many products as a hydrator, since its molecule size is bigger than glycolic acid's. But even then, I don't like to use lactic acid too frequently. Eh, citric acid has such a big molecule, I never worry when I see it in ingredients lists; that one's usually included for hydration or pH adjustment. 

But glycolic and lactic acids (in non-exfoliant products) always set off my INCI alarmβ€”especially when they're in retinol products. I'm a firm believer in layering AHA and retinol if 1) you've built up your skin's tolerance for it, 2) you use the right-for-you strength of both products, and 3) you don't do it more than a couple times a week. I wouldn't use a retinol serum that contains glycolic or lactic acid more than twice a week, so I'd never be able to ramp up retinol use to nightly, or even every other night. I worry about folks who might not realize they can over-exfoliate with a retinol+AHA product. 

I wish the FDA would mandate AHA % labeling on all cosmetic products. Any product containing any AHA should have to display the % of each contained AHA on its label. Then at least folks would get some sense of how much AHA they're applying when they layer products. 

Also: ugh, whenever someone says sensitive skin = dry skin, I wonder what they'd think of my combo skin's oily zone being the second most sensitive area of my face. πŸ™„ Whenever I have a bad reaction to something I applied on my whole face, the visible signs always show up first and worst on and around my nose, so... yeah. And it's irresponsible of PTR to recommend or imply that folks with dry and/or sensitive skin should load up on AHAs. πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ

Thank you, @WinglessOne!! I'll be curious as to your thoughts on the Innisfree mask when you try. 

Yesss, your thoughts about AHAs!! πŸ’– πŸ‘

Spoiler
Yes, glycolic acid is definitely the most when it comes to this, but even lactic acid or citric acid on some skin can be overloaded (depending on concentration, form, etc obvi). Usually citric acid is so low, for the pH, that I don't mind, as well.

Omg, the active combinations of AHAs and other actives drives me up the wall. OLEHENRIKSEN bakuchiol products have this and it is so annoying. 

Yes, yes, yes, absolutely regulatory agencies should mandate the concentration of AHAs. 

Just to be fair to PTR, it was OLE who said it πŸ˜†.

@haleyvvvv  Haha, I must've got my acronyms/abbreviations (PTR vs OLE) mixed up. 🀣 Alright Peter, you're off the hook. But shame on you, Ole! 

lol @haleyvvvv I love the PTR pumpkin mask.  I feel like the sweet pie scent gives me a smell (I wanted to say taste ewwww) of dessert even if I'm trying to avoid them.  I tend to do my wash off masks right before I hop in the shower so I rinse off in there.  I could totally see how it would be messy otherwise. 

I mean, it gets everywhere on me, I'm probably getting a taste, @missjeanie. Showering it off does seem much easier. 

@haleyvvvv we might be the unpopular opinion πŸ˜† but I can't stand the ptr pumpkin either

Nope, nope, you are not the only ones @lmaster @haleyvvvv. Pumpkin scent literally makes me nauseous. Fall is a long period of β€˜Hurry up, Christmas!” because anything pumpkin 😝

@eshoe well,,, I like the scent of pumpkin, I just didn't like this ptr mask πŸ˜† I'm so so sorry you don't like pumpkin scents