Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

I am with you on the multi-step routine, @haleyvvvv. Itโ€™s soothing. If I get to a point where it becomes cumbersome, then it will be time to reevaluate. But you bring up a really good point. there are so many products now that are appealing, but I shouldnโ€™t even try, much less buy, with a 10-step routine. Even if everything is gentle enough to use daily (on its own) it all adds up quickly. Just thinking about...

• enzyme cleaner
  • Glowy toner (thx to acids)
  • acidic serums
  • acidic sleeping mask

No wonder dry skin can get so angry so fast! This is such a good reminder to either lighten up the routine, or minimize the aggravation to the skin barrier:)

@haleyvvvv  So much masking! I feel ya about the AHA's - I've made some mistakes with some products before ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

The JayJun masks are nice - they really do smell great! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

So much masking!!

I'm sorry to hear, @Shosh85!! I think we all have an experience with too much AHAs. 

Yes, they do often have a great scent!!

@haleyvvvv  First: I love the mask assortment you've run through! I'm glad to hear the Innisfree clay mask isn't drying. I haven't tried that one but I have a sample on deck to test. 

Next: I have many thoughts about AHAs being in all of the things: 

Spoiler
I also like to control when I use AHA, and it usually ticks me off to see specifically glycolic acid in a product not marketed as an exfoliant. It's so easy to over-exfoliate with glycolic acid. Lactic acid I can kinda understand being in so many products as a hydrator, since its molecule size is bigger than glycolic acid's. But even then, I don't like to use lactic acid too frequently. Eh, citric acid has such a big molecule, I never worry when I see it in ingredients lists; that one's usually included for hydration or pH adjustment. 

But glycolic and lactic acids (in non-exfoliant products) always set off my INCI alarmโ€”especially when they're in retinol products. I'm a firm believer in layering AHA and retinol if 1) you've built up your skin's tolerance for it, 2) you use the right-for-you strength of both products, and 3) you don't do it more than a couple times a week. I wouldn't use a retinol serum that contains glycolic or lactic acid more than twice a week, so I'd never be able to ramp up retinol use to nightly, or even every other night. I worry about folks who might not realize they can over-exfoliate with a retinol+AHA product. 

I wish the FDA would mandate AHA % labeling on all cosmetic products. Any product containing any AHA should have to display the % of each contained AHA on its label. Then at least folks would get some sense of how much AHA they're applying when they layer products. 

Also: ugh, whenever someone says sensitive skin = dry skin, I wonder what they'd think of my combo skin's oily zone being the second most sensitive area of my face. ๐Ÿ™„ Whenever I have a bad reaction to something I applied on my whole face, the visible signs always show up first and worst on and around my nose, so... yeah. And it's irresponsible of PTR to recommend or imply that folks with dry and/or sensitive skin should load up on AHAs. ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ

Thank you, @WinglessOne!! I'll be curious as to your thoughts on the Innisfree mask when you try. 

Yesss, your thoughts about AHAs!! ๐Ÿ’– ๐Ÿ‘

Spoiler
Yes, glycolic acid is definitely the most when it comes to this, but even lactic acid or citric acid on some skin can be overloaded (depending on concentration, form, etc obvi). Usually citric acid is so low, for the pH, that I don't mind, as well.

Omg, the active combinations of AHAs and other actives drives me up the wall. OLEHENRIKSEN bakuchiol products have this and it is so annoying. 

Yes, yes, yes, absolutely regulatory agencies should mandate the concentration of AHAs. 

Just to be fair to PTR, it was OLE who said it ๐Ÿ˜†.

@haleyvvvv  Haha, I must've got my acronyms/abbreviations (PTR vs OLE) mixed up. ๐Ÿคฃ Alright Peter, you're off the hook. But shame on you, Ole! 

lol @haleyvvvv I love the PTR pumpkin mask.  I feel like the sweet pie scent gives me a smell (I wanted to say taste ewwww) of dessert even if I'm trying to avoid them.  I tend to do my wash off masks right before I hop in the shower so I rinse off in there.  I could totally see how it would be messy otherwise. 

I mean, it gets everywhere on me, I'm probably getting a taste, @missjeanie. Showering it off does seem much easier. 

@haleyvvvv we might be the unpopular opinion ๐Ÿ˜† but I can't stand the ptr pumpkin either

Nope, nope, you are not the only ones @lmaster @haleyvvvv. Pumpkin scent literally makes me nauseous. Fall is a long period of โ€˜Hurry up, Christmas!โ€ because anything pumpkin ๐Ÿ˜

@eshoe well,,, I like the scent of pumpkin, I just didn't like this ptr mask ๐Ÿ˜† I'm so so sorry you don't like pumpkin scents

Haha, @lmaster, it's just not for me (or you!), and that's okay, I can see the appeal for others. I will get through it eventually!

I is for Italy, the birthplace of prosecco, tiramisu, gelato and Kiko Milano, my Indulgences (another I, yes!!) earlier this evening in celebration of the end of my February no-buy! (I'll celebrate pretty much anything! lol!) Woo hoo!

I - Italy.jpg
I couldn't decide whether I wanted to have tiramisu or gelato with my prosecco. Turns out the gelato shop near me had tiramisu gelato. I know!! ๐Ÿ˜ I, too, took that as a sign that it was meant to be. Hahaha! Where, you ask, is the tiramisu gelato? Ummm.... ๐Ÿ˜‹

Thank you to @Sunnysmom for inspiring this Italian theme. ๐Ÿค—
Spoiler
Kiko Milano Konscious Vegan Face Mask 
Material: Soft, medium-thick, cotton mask

Essence: Unscented, slightly viscous, liquid essence. Consistency is a bit more viscous than an essence but not as syrupy as a serum.

Fit: Standard fit - width is slightly too wide at temples; length is too long at chin/jawline and a smidge too short at forehead. Adjustments needed at corners of eyes and mouth for a better fit.

Adherence: Very good. A few air pockets but they were easily smoothed out. Material clung nicely to the skin, felt comfortable on.

Claims: Brightening and perfecting. I'm not entirely sure what is meant by the  "perfecting" claim.

Performance & Results: Mask feels cool going on and that cooling remains well after the mask is removed. Skin feels soft. I wouldn't say the mask perfects the skin, nor does it blur imperfections. It does give a natural looking glow to the skin that creates a lovely, soft radiance that comes through any makeup that follows the mask.

Overall Thoughts: This would make a great primer mask. The radiance that this mask imparts comes through beautifully underneath makeup. 

Ingredients:
Spoiler
(from kikocosmetics (dot) com):
AQUA (WATER/EAU), GLYCERIN, DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL, TREHALOSE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, PAEONIA SUFFRUTICOSA ROOT EXTRACT, CENTELLA ASIATICA EXTRACT, ARGININE, CARBOMER, 1,2-HEXANEDIOL, XANTHAN GUM, PEG-60 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA FLOWER EXTRACT (CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (MATRICARIA) FLOWER EXTRACT), GLYCERYL CAPRYLATE, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, ORIGANUM VULGARE LEAF EXTRACT, CHAMAECYPARIS OBTUSA LEAF EXTRACT, SALIX ALBA BARK EXTRACT (SALIX ALBA (WILLOW) BARK EXTRACT), LACTOBACILLUS/SOYBEAN FERMENT EXTRACT, PORTULACA OLERACEA EXTRACT, SCUTELLARIA BAICALENSIS ROOT EXTRACT, CINNAMOMUM CASSIA BARK EXTRACT, VACCINIUM MACROCARPON FRUIT EXTRACT (VACCINIUM MACROCARPON (CRANBERRY) FRUIT EXTRACT), ADANSONIA DIGITATA FRUIT EXTRACT, OLEA EUROPAEA LEAF EXTRACT (OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) LEAF EXTRACT), EQUISETUM ARVENSE EXTRACT, NYMPHAEA ALBA FLOWER EXTRACT, SOPHORA JAPONICA ROOT EXTRACT, DISODIUM EDTA

@itsfi  What a great theme! How perfect is it you found some tiramisu gelato?! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘ŒThis mask sounds nice! My face could always use a little radiance! 

@Shosh85, it was meant to be that I had both tiramisu and gelato. ๐Ÿ˜†  I walked into the shop intending to pick up the seasonal blood orange flavor, but they were really low on that one so tiramisu it was! ๐Ÿ˜‹ 

I've no doubt your face has a beautiful glow to it that comes from within Shosh! But, I hear ya, a little extra in that area will rarely, if ever, be frowned upon! lol. 

@itsfi  Oooh, now I see Kiko has several new masks... I wouldn't be able to use this Konscious mask because it contains cinnamon bark, but I'm glad you saw nice results from it. Browsing the new masks, I could probably use the Purifying sheet mask... argh, must stick to mask no-buy! ๐Ÿคฃ I do have one sleeve of the Halloween mask patches but haven't used them yet. We'll see if I can hold off til October. 

Also: hooray for prosecco! Anytime's a great time for sparkling wine! ๐Ÿฅ‚

@WinglessOne, that's too bad about the cinnamon bark. Hopefully their other sheet masks have some that will work for you. Errrr, I mean, when you are no longer on your no-buy. Keep at it! It feels really nice to whittle down that selection of masks. I'm coming up on almost a year of being (or trying to be) on a sheet mask no-buy - I made a couple of purchases last year and earlier this year, small though they were - just a couple of times and with each haul, only 1 - 3 sheet masks. It's amazing how quickly the collection grows, isn't it?

"hooray for prosecco! Anytime's a great time for sparkling wine!" So true. I have a mask that I could incorporate with a nod to Spain. Maybe that calls for some cava? Hmmm.... ๐Ÿค” I haven't tried as many cava's so that could offer an educational pursuit as well. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ 

@itsfi  Sounds like you've done great with your no-buy! Honestly, I'm at the point where I'll probably donate a HUGE batch of unexpired sheet masks to local charities and shelters that'll take them, and/or Project Beauty Share. I'm trying to get my collection under 200 masks (excluding backups of my top faves, because) as a starting point, and that requires a major declutterโ€”and I've been in denial about that. Still, it'll be much easier to declutter masks than my lipstick hoard, once I finally set aside some time to go through all those masks. ๐Ÿคฃ 

Cava is actually my favorite type of sparkling wine. There are many tasty options, and they're generally less expensive than their French counterparts. You could spend a long time testing cavas. For science! 

Youโ€™ll get to your target number for sheet masks @WinglessOne! Just gotta keep doing what youโ€™re doing and chipping away at it.

Donating unexpired sheet masks is an excellent idea. ๐Ÿ˜ I did a combination of things to get my masks number down - trying to mask daily (sometimes twice a day but at least 3-4 times per week), donating masks to local charities  and shelters, gifting to friends and family, gifting to my mail person, hair stylist, coworkers, former coworkers, coworkers of friends, and others, and the no/low buy on sheet masks definitely helped to keep the number from climbing back up!

Ahhh exploring Cava for science. ๐Ÿ˜ That sounds like a fun and worthwhile endeavor. Any recs?

@WinglessOne @is it just me, or do quite a few masks seem to have cinnamon bark (cassia?) as an ingredient? ๐Ÿค” I went through my masks recently and it seemed to pop up way more than I would have expected. Which seems odd, because I thought of it as an irritant.

@eshoe  Cinnamon bark can be very irritating for some people's skin. If I use a product containing it on my whole face, my undereyes and eyelids get very angry: red, itchy, and often swollen. Even if I try to keep the product away from my eye area. That stuff migrates like crazy on my face. Cinnamon bark does have some antioxidant properties, as do some other fragrance ingredients, and I'm sure some folks experience no issues (at least no short term issues) when using that ingredient. But the cons far outweigh the antioxidant pro for me. 

And yeah, it's in A LOT of products. For fun, go to INCIdecoder, search for "cinnamomum cassia bark extract," and marvel at the several pages of products that come up. And those are just what's been entered into that particular database. Eh, fragrance components in general are thought of as irritants, yet they're still used in many cosmetic skincare products. Peppermint extract/oil and other mint extracts/oils can be very irritating to skin like mine, but they're in lots of products. One of my favorite hair products contains mint extract, so I always try to keep it off my face, and I know right away if I failed. ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ Anyway, all these ingredients are so popular because they make product smell good. 

1 Reply
testing