Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

The artwork on these masks is so fun, @lmaster. My dog thinks I am trying to play when I do yoga, so I can relate;)

@eshoe so stinking cute!! Love that the dog is doing yoga too โ˜บ๏ธ

@lmaster  This is a great line, and I remember especially liking this one! Glad you enjoyed it! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85 these are so cute! I just can't remember where the heck this one came from ๐Ÿ˜‚ maybe motm or a subscription ๐Ÿคท

@lmaster  I remember this mask... It made me want to pretend I was doing yoga while wearing it lol! Glad to hear it held up for you.

@missjeanie the packaging is so cute!! Masking and yoga... Great multitasking ๐Ÿ˜†

Hahaha @missjeanie! When I first saw the photo, I thought "ohhhh, good reminder, I should do some yoga tonight." After reading your post, I think I may just pretend to do yoga while masking tonight. I'm pretty sure I could accomplish that. @lmaster 

lol @itsfi I try to keep the bar for my exercise rather low.  That way I'm not disappointed in myself... I thought about going for a snowshoe or a jog today... that totally counts!

@missjeanie, you get major points from me for your just thinking about snowshoeing or jogging. Iโ€™ve spent most of the day thinking about what I want for dinner. Hahaha! ๐Ÿ˜† In my defense, one of my options included walking to pick up something to go. โ˜บ๏ธ

@itsfi lol I totally just had cream eggs for dinner! lol dang Easter treats.. I'm going to need to think extra hard about some cardio tomorrow. 

"cream eggs" @missjeanie? I had to look that up and when I saw the photos, it all made sense ... ahhh, cream eggs!!! ๐Ÿ˜ Yeah, me and cardio are gonna have to spend some a lot of time together over the next couple of days. 

Oh ya.... I forgot you guys don't really do cream eggs down south @itsfi.. They're such a sugar rush, but I can't help loving them.  I may or may not stockpile the cream eggs and the Cadbury Mini Eggs this time of year.  Such delicious sugary sugary eggs.  

I've been masking, I just, my skincare was being awful (too much AHA) and I was feeling meh about posting about it. 

Spoiler
Seriously why does everything need to have AHAs, I hate it, I just want to use my AHAs when I want on their own. I asked about this in the OLEHENRIKSEN masterclass, and he was like, well if you have sensitive skin, it likely means it's dry, so you should be using AHAs and I just wanted to be like, but I do, but when they're in every product, my skin can't handle that much cause I could layer like 5 products that contain it. This skincare trend needs to end. Fin rant.

"I" or "Snubbed" 

IMG_20210301_021703.jpg

I'm impatient to be done with the PTR masks. The smell of the pumpkin one is too sickening sweet and the granules are annoying to get off completely. I usually use a makeup eraser to take off masks, but this needs like a bunch of rinses with water which makes a mess. The warming hydrating mask, I actually like, but the tub formula makes it difficult to get out, I lose a lot of product digging it out and just prefer a tube, it works better to spread as well. 

I recently received this Innisfree set as a gratis from Topbox Circle for my review and am currently testing. I've tried the mask twice nice, so on first thoughts, it's an okay clay mask (I'm using in place of a weelly charcoal type mask). I have dry skin, so am not the target for this mask. That being said, it is creamy, so it never really dries down even with the two different types of clay and doesn't leave my skin feeling too tight. It does an okay job at pore clearing, but nothing special. Something in it irritated my partner's oily skin when he applied his moisturizer after, but he is normally using Supermud, so am not sure what it was. I'll test a few more weeks. Also, again, why there gotta be AHAs in this!! 

Spoiler
Also, LMK if y'all don't want gratis type things posted here. I try to be honest with my thoughts, but totally understand!! 

Sheet masks in general are my snubbed category, although I've been using a lot more this year and can't seem to stop acquiring them. I loved the Lancรดme Genefique mask. It was a hydrogel (yay!) That left my skin smooth and plump for at least a day. It didn't really provide radiance.  It's expensive, but definitely a worth it treat myself mask. I'd put it in the same category (although they would serve different purposes for me), as the 111 skin masks. Perfect for a pamper day or before a big event depending on what my skin needed. A-/B+. 

I also used the Midflower hylauronic acid mask which is one of the best hydrating masks I've ever tried. I'm so sad I'm out of them. 

Another snubbed category or subcategory are eye patches. I usually wear eye patches for when I'm at a work conference and I've been "networking." Obviously that hasn't happened for a while. I did have to do a webinar where I was being recorded and haven't been sleeping in general, so I decided to try these Patchology rye hydrogels. The best thing about them I'd that they are sparkly. Wow, these are so heavy they do not stay in place at all. If I was laying down, sure, but I wear eye patches in the morning when I am up and doing things. They provide a bit of moisture and some brightening. C+.

"H" or Masks Good Enough to Eat 

IMG_20210301_021840.jpg

BubbleT. Disappointing, no scent. Did provide some hydration. C-. 

Mediheal Honey. Didn't really smell like honey. These were just okay. Good filler but didn't live up to their promises. B-. 

JayJun. These are some of the best smelling masks I've ever used. The scent might be overpowering if you're sensitive. (Weirdly, I'm sensitive to scents, but maybe I just liked so much). Provides brightening and hydration. B+.

Huxley. Such a luxe oil mask. I keep forgetting that they're an oil mask though and not applying all of my serums before using. A-.  

"G" or Oddball Ingredients 

IMG_20210301_014306.jpg

Steam, to me, was a new oddball ingredient. This provided a bit of relief on a tough migraine day. A-. 

Glamglow Gravitymud. Two G's! Fun, not sure it does anything, but pretty and I'll use up what I have. 

Frudia Snail Green mask. Double bonus for meeting both the letter and the theme! Snail is probably not too oddball anymore though, but I hadn't tried any. Unfortunately this one was a bit disappointing. It was fine, but I was hoping for a wow of moisturizing and nurturing and that this didn't provide. B/B-. 

Tonymoly Caviar mask. Again caviar isn't that unusual. Look, I had to stretch a bit this week!! Plus bonus incentive for using up these play masks. These are much better than the other Tony Moly masks I've tried, the "I'm" masks. They're still just an okay filler mask though. B-.

Lots of masking here @haleyvvvv! ๐Ÿ˜€ For the PTR masks, do you have a mini beauty spatula that you can repurpose from another product, to use to scoop out the product? I save mine from cleansers or eye creams for that purpose. Too bad the bubble-T sheet masks didn't have a scent - I love how their shower gels smell. Loooove the steam eye masks. I keep a couple on my nightstand. 

So much masking!! 

@itsfi , I've used both a spatula and a brush. For the hydrating one, it's just getting a little older I think, and with the tub, it just kinda crumbles, as opposed to thr a tube where it is smoothed out as it gets squeezed out, I think. For the pumpkin mask, it's a mess when I wash it off, a brush works well to apply. 

I've booked marked where to get these masks when I finish all of the steam masks I have. These ones are real winners!! 

The PTR masks can be a pain to wash off @haleyvvvv. I use the same approach as @missjeanie for those types of wash off mask and rinse off in the shower. Yeah, the hydrating one would definitely benefit from being in tube form. Many wash off masks could benefit from that packaging. Maybe a repackaging will be in the works. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ 

I love your mask compilations @haleyvvvv!

The innisfree looks like a great set (congrats!)  for someone with different skin needs than dry ones, it seems! There seems to be an over abundance of clay/detox and exfoliating masks, that is for sure. It also seems like acids and enzymes are going into everything, so it is easy to over do it unintentionally ๐Ÿ˜ฅ 

Also...I think I have that Huxley mask, good to know ahead of time!!! Boo to migraines, hope your month is better.

@eshoe, the Innisfree mask works as a spot treatment for all skin types except perhaps those with sensitive skin. Iโ€™ve found the Innisfree green tea hydrating serum in the set works nicely for dry skin types, as does the Innisfree orchid moisturizer in the set, though the latter is more heavily fragranced if that is a concern. @haleyvvvv 

Good to know about the innisfree, @itsfi! I am filing a mental note to try the serum at some point. Their volcano mask is so good.

@eshoe, if you are interested in trying out the Innisfree green tea serum after your no-buy, both Sephora and Innisfree (direct) usually have foil samples of the serum you can add to your cart with a purchase.

Thank you, @eshoe!! I'm still testing out the other products, but the mask definitely isn't super recommended for dry skin. 

Acids and enzymes in everything!! I guess it'll mean I use less steps? Although like, my 10+ step routine is a great way to get through my product backlog ๐Ÿ˜…

The Huxley is so lovely, it'll be such a nice, luxe experience when you use!! 

One (or now two) migraines over a month isn't so bad. Thank you!! 

20 Replies
testing