Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@eshoe, I'm finding for masks, 7-10 days of consistent use can give a generally good indicator of how the product will work over time; well, maybe not for clay masks on dry or dehydrated skin - that would be a lot, but for hydrating face masks, it's not a bad time line. When I use a daily mask pack, that's around when I start seeing benefits.

I may be more inclined to use a daily mask pack later this coming winter, @itsfi. There is a definite difference in my skin with consistent masking, but that doesnโ€™t really speak to the specifics about how effective each one is. I wish Etude House made a 30-day pack, their fit and serums are just righ!

@itsfi Hmmm, interesting! I haven't seen these before! Sounds like it gave you some great results!  ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I'd also be interested in trying out the other varietals @Shosh85; in particular, the cica. Not sure about the collagen or vitamins versions. I have a single pack of the cica that I'll try at some point and maybe after that, I'll decide whether to do a 10-day of the hyaluronic acid or cica one next. 

@itsfi  Hmmm seems like a ton of work for just a toner/essence. 

Itโ€™s definitely an extra step @ather. Iโ€™m not sure whether the higher potency makes it worthwhile. ๐Ÿค” I put it on my list of things to look into once Iโ€™ve whittled down more of my skincare products. Who knows though. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ By that time, I may be less inclined to try it out. ๐Ÿ˜† 

I is for Irish Moss, a key ingredient in the sheet masks from KNC Beauty, including this Big Glo mask.

I - Irish Moss.jpg

I had intended to use this beauty trio in a couple of weeks for the female owned brands theme, but decided to move it up this week after I noticed the other day that Sephora is now carrying the KNC Beauty lip scrub and balm, both of which I've used before. 

Sheet Mask:
Spoiler
KNC Beauty Big Glo
Material: It says it's a bio-cellulose mask but it seems more like a hybrid of a hydrogel mask and the next generation bio-cellulose masks. The material is very delicate; it can be torn easily. Handle with care. It looks somewhat clear but there are small, light pink sparkles scattered throughout that give the material a pink hue.

Essence: The soft floral scent is pleasant and very subtle. I actually wouldn't mind if the scent was stronger. 

Fit: This mask is on the smaller side compared to other sheet masks. For me, it was great width-wise and length-wise at the chin/jawline. The top of the mask did not reach my jawline but it's malleable enough that I can stretch it out to get it to fit, but because of how delicate the material is, I need to be careful so as to not tear the mask. Additional adjustments are needed to the corners of my eyes and mouth. 

Adherence: This adheres beautifully to the skin, hugging the curves and contours of my face and its features. 

Claim(s): Moisturizes and gives skin a healthy glow

Performance & Results: Like with most hydrogel and bio-cellulose masks, you don't necessarily see or feel the essence, but when you have the mask on, you can feel something there and also when you remove the mask. There was some excess essence that even after being fully absorbed, still left a slight tacky feel. I wasn't bothered by this and I find it actually works well with the skincare that follows. 

Results-wise, this is slightly hydrating but not so much that someone with dry or dehydrated skin would consider it moisturizing. This may be better suited for those with oily or very oily skin in that regard. As for the "glow", I would couch it ,more as a fresh faced brightness. It complimented my base makeup nicely, adding some radiance to my complexion.

Overall Thoughts: I'm intrigued by the material on these KNC Beauty masks. I'd like to give them a try after a peel and see how they perform. By experience with each of the three varietals is that they were fine. Their best feature seems to be how they make the product(s) used after removing them perform better, particularly makeup and in that sense, these could work very well for prepping the skin before applying makeup. 

Ingredients:
Spoiler
from kncbeauty (dot) com:
Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, Chondrus Crispus Powder, Trehalose, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Extract, Rosa Damascena Extract, Beta-Carotene, Lilium Candidum Flower Extract, Bisabolol, Mica, Allantoin, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Prunus Persica (Peach) Kernel Oil, Rosa Canina (Rose Hip) Seed Oil, Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Oil, Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil
Lip Care:
Spoiler
The KNC Beauty Lip Scrub has a slight minty scent and provides enough exfoliation on its own, but including the lip-shaped, silicone, exfoliating brush gives the scrub some extra oomph - it's a nice (and super cute) add-on. The scrub can be difficult to get out of the tube. Once you get the product out, it doesn't feel super gritty or too emollient, but as you massage the scrubs onto the lips (with fingers or the brush), the brown sugar crystals do a really nice job of sloughing away any dryness while the shea butter and moringa oil help to keep the lips from feeling dry. 

The consistency of the KNC Lip Balm (Rose) is on the slightly thicker side and the scent is subtle and reminds me of rose petal jelly - it's a light but detectable scent and I only really pick it up early on as I apply the balm to my lips; the scent dissipates quickly after being applied. It's moisturizing without feeling sticky. It isn't the most long wearing balm but it stays on for a decent amount of time. I've been using it as a primer for liquid lipstick, to help keep my lips from drying from the lippie. 

I - KNC Beauty lippie swatches.jpg
KNC Beauty Lip Scrub 0.5 oz 
KNC Beauty Lip Balm .30 oz/ 10.5g ~ not sure which flavor of the balm is sold at Sephora. It doesn't seem to give an option for either the mint version or the rose one. Hmmm... ๐Ÿค” Will try to get some more info and will update this post if/when I do.

Glitter hydrogel @itsfi that's good enough for me to want to try ๐Ÿคฃ

All the masks in this line are scattered with sparkle @lmaster, so it's just a question of whether you'd like a subtle blue, purple or pink hue for the backdrop for your sparkle! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ Functionality-wise, I feel like they perform and provide fairly similar results.

@itsfi I literally just noticed that Sephora carried this brand! Sounds like some decent products here. I'm especially interested in that balm! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I've been curious about their masks as well, so its good to hear your opinion of them! Love the 70's style packaging too! ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Shosh85, I knew they carried the eye gel patches but I, too, recently discovered that Sephora carries the scrub and balm as well. I just can't tell if the balm is the rose one or the mint version. It, along with a lip gloss (okay, maybe more than one lip gloss) are the current lippies on my desk. My plan for working through my lip products and hand creams is to keep one, maybe two, at my desk for a week and then rotate new ones in and out every 7-10 days. Gives me some variety while at the same time, focused on working through my stuff and not opening new things before I finish a product. The 70's vibe of the packaging is a lot of fun! ๐Ÿ˜ I'm totally diggin' it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The Rose lip balm is very pretty, @itsfi. When you say the scrub is a little challenging to extract from the tube, it reminded me of the Sara Happ scrubs. The pot = great. The tubes just didnโ€™t seem to execute the plan with the same gusto!

@eshoe, yeah, that's a major 'con' about lip scrubs in tubes. It'd be nice to have them in jars / pots and include a mini spatula that can be secured in the inside top portion of the jar or if there's a plastic cover between the jar and the product, something to fit in that space. Alternatively, the design of the Tatcha moisturizers, with the mini spatula nestled on top of the lid would work very well too, and is also so aesthetically appealing.

@itsfi  This sounds good maybe for more of a summer mask after a day in the sun! 

Yeah @ather, I think this one is better for certain occasions, not for daily masking, as a filler mask, or for a burst of hydration. A time, place and face for practically every mask, right?! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜

@itsfi  I agree. I mean itโ€™s always good to have masks that are different. 

@ather, hahaha! I think there are a few of us here who take having a few different masks around to heart! ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi Irish moss, that sounds kinda weird. I love the packaging though!

@Samtian, itโ€™s a type of red algae or red seaweed. (Why is there no seaweed emoji?? ๐Ÿ˜†)  Thereโ€™s a 97.9999% chance that at some point, Iโ€™ve probably eaten something that contains red seaweed in it. Since I donโ€™t have a recollection of it, it should be safe to say it wasnโ€™t bad per se... ๐Ÿ˜‰

@itsfi Well that's not nearly as bad as muddy moss I was thinking haha.

Hahaha! No muddy moss here @Samtian; or, at least that I'm aware of. ๐Ÿ˜Š

testing