Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

No worries, @Samtian!! Thank you!!

This one has given so many mixed masking emotions, @Samtian - I am so happy to hear it worked out well for you! When my skin is dry, it really gives it an extra-hydrating kick. There is a chamomile version, or at least there was a year or so ago. Chances are, if you liked it, itโ€™s no longer around, ha!

@eshoe Haha no doubt!

@Samtian  Oooo Iโ€™ll have to keep my eyes open for this one!

@ather Definitely!

Yaaay @Samtian! ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ  Happy to hear youโ€™ve been finding sheet masks that you love! โ™ฅ๏ธ

@itsfi Thank you! I'm glad too! Hopefully they aren't discontinued haha.

@Samtian  Oooh, love a good oil mask! Happy to hear this one worked out so well for you! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ™Œ

@Shosh85 Thank you! I'll definitely keep a look out for more.

@Samtian I'm always happy to see a good mask for your skin!!

@lmaster ๐Ÿ˜„ thank you!

@Samtian oil masks are the absolute best!!!  Iโ€™m glad your skin enjoyed that one!  I like to add a little face oil to my face before doing โ€˜fillerโ€™ masks to make them more pleasant.  ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

@heartsmyface I'm going to have to keep my eyes out for more of them! I'll also have to try the face oil tip too.

From last week, my H is for hydration heaven with hyaluronic acid.  

I'll be doing some catch up from last week (H week), but I'll try to throw in some posts of my current masking while getting caught up.I'll be doing some catch up from last week (H week), but I'll try to throw in some posts of my current masking while getting caught up.

I hit "pause" last week on my daily sheet masking with the Saborino evening mask pack. My hiatus had less to do with the Saborino masks and more because my skin was in need of an extra dose of hydration as a result of changes in the weather and also because I really wanted to try out some of my hyaluronic acid based sheet masks. When I first started paying more attention to my skincare, hyaluronic acid was my go to and my skin drank it up. Hyaluronic acid wasn't as well known as it is now so a shout out to my dermatologist and aesthetician for turning me onto HA. Hyaluronic acid really worked well for my skin then and still does, though it doesn't have as strong of a presence in my skincare routine as it used to, primarily because my skin's needs have changed and I'm a little more aware of what works best for my skin at a particular period of time and place - HA works well when my skin is dehydrated (vs. dry) and when I'm not in dry or very dry settings which I learned the hard way when work took me the dry desert - not a good fit for hyaluronic acid. 

Cosrx Triple Hyaluronic Water Wave Sheet Mask

H - Cosrx triple hyaluronic acid.jpg

Spoiler
Material: The Cosrx Triple Hyaluronic Water Wave Sheet Mask leans slightly to the thinner side of your standard, medium thick density sheet masks. It is made of an eco-friendly, biodegradable fiber; makes me wonder if this might be made of eucalyptus pulp - it's got a similar feel to Tencel, but is not as thin as most Tencel sheets.

Essence: Lightweight, fresh, watery essence with a scent that to me smells part herbal and part minty, refreshing like mouthwash. Odd combination, I know. That's what I picked up the few times I kept sticking my nose inside the packet to double and triple check the scent.

Fit: Width-wise, this works pretty well for my face shape. It's about 1-1/2 inches too long at the chin / jawline and 1/4" too short at the forehead. The material above the upper lip is also larger than I've experienced on most sheet masks, so I made some slight adjustments there as well as the corners of the eyes and mouth for a more tailored fit.

Adherence: Good. This is a thicker mask than the ones I've been using lately but it adhered nicely to my skin and stayed in place the entire 30 minutes I had on the mask. To be clear, it's not a thick mask, at most, it's standard; it just feels thick compared to the super thin masks I've used the past week and this week.

Claim(s): Hydrating

Performance & Results: The cooling sensation from the mask, coupled with its comfortable fit makes for a relaxing and refreshing half hour of masking. There's a slight tacky-to-the-touch feel immediately after pressing in the excess essence, but  there's zero trace of that tack once the skin has fully absorbed the essence. This one leaves my skin soft, smooth, cool to the touch and with a fresh faced glow, while lightly hydrating my skin. 

Overall Thoughts: This Cosrx mask isn't bad. In fact, if you're looking for light hydration, this will work well for you, provided you are not sensitive, allergic or otherwise seeking to avoid alcohol in sheet masks (it's the third ingredient listed). For my dehydrated-combination skin, this worked nicely as a morning mask, with the cooling sensation helping to wake up my skin (and me). I could see this one being suited for most, if not all, skin types (except those sensitive to alcohol) though dry and dehydrated skin types may not find this hydrating enough for their liking.

Ingredients:
Spoiler
from cosrx (dot) com:
Water, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol, Panthenol, Betaine, 1,2-Hexanediol, Paeonia Suffruticosa Root Extract, Centella, Asiatica Extract, Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Glyceryl Caprylate, Arginine, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Pantolactone, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Diethylhexyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate, Dipropylene Glycol, Sodium Acetylated, Hyaluronate

Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Deep Moisture Water Mask

H - Isntree hyaluronic acid.jpg

Spoiler
Material: The Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Deep Moisture Water Mask uses a patented super adhesive MG:gel sheet. This MG: gel sheet feels like a blend of a hydrogel mask and the next generation bio-cellulose mask. It is extremely thin, striated and feels like you have nothing on.

Essence: Clear, liquid, gel-like essence that contains 3 different forms of hyaluronic acid. There's a lot of essence in the packet. I'd recommend taking the excess essence and applying and reapplying to the mask throughout the wear time.

Fit: Width wise this mask works pretty well for my face size and shape; the length at both the forehead and chin/jawline are off, as with most, if not all sheet mask. It's nothing that cannot be fixed by taking off the excess at the bottom of the mask and using that to cover whatever space is between the top of the mask and my hair line. I made the usual adjustments to the corners of the eyes and mouth for a better fit. 

Adherence: Exceptional. This mask has a plastic backing with a tab on the sides near the jawline, which I think is meant to keep the mask from crumpling up as a result of its thinness and material and to help with its application, but I found it more challenging to use the tab to separate the backing from the sheet itself once applied on the skin. It seemed like it would have been easier if I started separating part of the backing from the sheet before applying the mask to my face. 

Claims: Hydrating, moisturizing and revitalizing

Performance & Results: The softness and thinness of the material lends itself to a very comfortable masking sesh; it really feels like you're not wearing a mask. While the mask holds some essence, for me, I needed to apply the excess essence in the pouch to the sheet during my masking time, which makes it challenging to multi-task while masking with this one. It also makes it challenging to just completely relax while using this mask. As for results, I was a bit disappointed that it only lightly hydrated my skin, leading me to believe that this mask is probably better suited for the summer months and/or those with normal to oily skin.

Overall Thoughts:  I have and like the serum from this line and that one does a lovely job of making my skin feel hydrated. It seems that my experience with the serum may have caused me to have higher expectations for this mask. I would love to hear the thoughts of other folks who have used this particular mask. On paper it has a lot of things going for it, but it didn't pan out as I had hoped when put to the test. I really liked the material on this one and would be open to giving it another try in the summer months.

Ingredients:
Spoiler
taken from reverse side of mask packet:
Water, Glycerin, Methylpropanediol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Acetylated Hyaluronate, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium PCA, Chondrus Crispus Extract, Ceratonia Siliqua (Carob) Gum, Glucomannan, Allantoin, Panthenol, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Trehalose, Xanthan Gum, Glyceryl Polyacrylate, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, PVM/MA Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Carbomer, Tromesthamine, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hydroxyacetophenone, Disodium EDTA

@itsfi  These masks all look really good!! I didnโ€™t know cosrx made masks. I will look for them now!

@ather, I didn't know Cosrx made these sheet masks either until I happened to stumble upon them. There's a propolis version that I picked up as well and am excited to try - I've liked the couple of the products in the new Cosrx full fit propolis line that I've tried so I'm looking forward to giving it a go soon. I have a handful more sheet masks that I should use up first, just because I've had them in the stash longer and don't want to get sidetracked with finishing them up.

@itsfi  Canโ€™t wait to hear your thoughts! Iโ€™m not buying till it least the summer. My stash has gotten out of hand. Although Iโ€™ve been wanting to try the new jlo mask but I might wait till the spring sale!

@ather, if you're interested in the JLo mask, it makes sense to pick it up during a sale. Ohhh, yes! It's all too easy for that mask stash to get out of hand; I know that full well. Whittling it down will feel really good. With the exception of a few small hauls, I've been on a sheet mask no-buy for almost a year now. That helped a lot and I'm almost to where I'd like to be. What the plan going forward for future sheet masks hauls is another story; something to think about, but at the moment, I'm just focused on keeping up with my masking and getting the inventory down to my goal. Baby steps. lol. ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi  Definitely looks like hydration heaven! I tried that Isntree mask recently too, and I remember it not being as hydrating as I expected.

The CosRx mask sounds nice! Have you tried any other CosRx masks? 

@Shosh85, I only realized that Cosrx made sheet masks late last year. ๐Ÿ˜’ ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ This is what happens when Iโ€™m on a sheet mask no buy for too long. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜† I have one, maybe two, other masks from this line and then I have the sheet mask that is part the Cosrx snail line. 

I was a bit disappointed that the Isntree wasnโ€™t as hydrating as I expected. Itโ€™s okay though - the other ones that I still need to post about had plenty of hydration to make up for this one .๐Ÿ˜

I totally hear you on the hydration!! Thanks for sharing all these beauties @itsfi 

testing