Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Oh great @itsfi one more thing to spend some money on! Thank you I think! Lol ๐Ÿ˜ณ

@Sunnysmom, heehee! 

hee hee gif.gif

Great one @itsfi , gotta save it! ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi @Sunnysmom yes the Biossance Rose mask was discontinued. I contacted the brand, and they directed me to their Amazon store, where they are selling any remaining stock. Even though I love the mask, I opted not to purchase from there as the product in my bottle (which is about 1-1/2 years old) has changed significantly. It has darkened, which I am guessing is the Vitamin C. Otherwise I would wholeheartedly recommend, too! All the good ones, sigh....

@Sunnysmom I'd consider adding in a good sleeping mask at night. I personally love the CosRx Ulta Moisturizing Honey Overnight Mask. If you're more interested in a wash-off mask, I cannot recommend the TonyMoly Golden Pig Collagen Bounce Mask enough. It's available at Ulta. Sheet masks can add a boost of hydration and some can help with brightness, but I don't feel like the effects are as long-lasting for those. What moisturizer are you using at night? Do you currently use an oil with it? Sometimes adding a good oil with your moisturizer in the evening can really help seal that moisture in. 

2nd both of these recs @Sunnysmom @quspork The TonyMoly Golden Piggy mask is a good one! The CosRx too.

Good idea @quspork thank you! I have seen but not tried any TonyMoly stuff except a lip balm. And the name. Lol. I change up my products at night sometimes with an oil sometimes not. They are tricky for me.  I will detail with reply to Wingless next ! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you so much!! ๐Ÿฅฐ

@Sunnysmom  What's your current skincare routine? I'm especially wondering which moisturizer(s) you currently use. Also, are there any ingredients you know your skin hates? (Example: I cannot use essential oils or lavender extract on my face.) Got any skin allergies? I can recommend a few masks with a bit more info. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

If your skin's very dry, you might need a more occlusive AM & PM moisturizer than whatever you use now. The most occlusive skincare ingredient is petrolatum: nothing prevents water loss better. So no matter what else you use on your face, you might wanna start applying a thin layer of a petrolatum-based balm as your moisturizer, or apply it over your usual moisturizer on your driest areas. My favorites for this are Aquaphor Ointment or CeraVe Healing Ointment (if you're sensitive to lanolin, skin Aquaphor and try CeraVe), but you could even use plain ol' petroleum jellyโ€”though some folks (like me) find it feels a bit too greasy. 

Also, make sure your skin's damp before you apply any moisturizer, including a petrolatum balm. You want to seal in hydration, not dryness. I keep my skin damp throughout my routine, unless I'm applying an AHA exfoliant that contains glycolic acid. (Water can help ingredients penetrate skin; glycolic acid has the smallest molecule size of all the AHAs; tiny molecules of glycolic acid + water = lots of stinging on my skin and possibly an inflammation flare.) I use a hydrating mist for that, specifically COSRX Centella Water Alcohol-Free Toner (centella asiatica helps my skin's inflammation issues, and this product's not truly a toner). But you could use plain ol' water. I also like Youth To The People Adaptogen Soothe + Hydrate Activated Mist with Peptides 4 oz/ 118 mL for an extra moisturization boost. 

I think I will get to the bottom of my issues for sure with the help of all of you guys @WinglessOne thank you! Wish I had asked before! Readerโ€™s Digest version ( younger folks prob have zero clue what that is lol) is that my skin is dry most of the time tho better in the warmer months but usually still dry. Added on top of that is a maddening eye or some kind of allergy issue I get every few years. This is one of them. Our allergy season in SoCal can be tricky. I never used to have them in the Midwest but since moving here I do plus gotten older which I hear happens and allergies can just appear. Great... lol So my skin around my eyes is now red, flaking, hurting and like little cuts. Just lovely. I use eye drops for allergies which help but still the issues. So that makes it all even trickier to find correct eye cremes and moisturizers that donโ€™t further the inflammation. What a mess! Not exactly sure what ingredients could be triggers for me.  Have not truly done an elimination process. 

At this point I mainly switch between VBB priming moisturizer , Sulwhasoo serum and creme,  ABader regular creme (and rich creme for night), UBeauty serum and moisturizer for day and night.( Oh and I also kind of like Biossance night and Ole H night but havenโ€™t used lately. ) Prob shouldnโ€™t vary but some work at times when others donโ€™t. Is this making it worse?! Lol  Serums are Sulwhasoo, the UBeauty, Biossance and SkinCeuticals (which I recently bought but fearful to use yet ).

Sprinkled in also are LaMer creme and eye creme for night if Iโ€™m having the issues I am now tho they arenโ€™t working! Grr my eyes are a you know what mess.  I love Chanel Camellia Essence , and I do like Biossance oil occasionally if I do use one,  either mix it or layer but sometimes it is too much for me. I also tried Uma oil sampler but they were def too much and the ingredients hated me. Plus too heavy. Less is probably more for me but at this point I just need more and more.  Applying while skin is damp is something I probably donโ€™t do. I will. OH and in desperation earlier I bought and really like Avene eye soothing creme and skin recovery which feel soothing with my current issue but donโ€™t think itโ€™ll be enough for normal skin days. I will revisit Aquaphor and CeraVe, they sound like a good remedy also.  

Truly appreciate the help so much! Love to hear your thoughts. (Sorry for disjointed writing too. I write like I think and talk. ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ™„ ) Who needs a dermatologist when I have you guys!! ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

@Sunnysmom it sounds like the winter chill might be adding some extra dryness to your skin! I think that besides masking, itโ€™s very helpful to add on a sleeping mask and/or facial oil to help seal in whatever steps youโ€™ve taken to add that moisture back into your skin.

I love Tatcha Violet-C Radiance Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL, it feels like such a treat and has a very soft, pleasant citrusy scent. Plus it looks pretty๐Ÿ˜„ Suqqu also has a Moisture Rich Mask that feels like a thick, jelly-balm barrier. It has a subtle rose/fruity scent which also makes it enjoyable to wear. It can double as a sleeping mask, too. The Farmacy Honey Potion Renewing Antioxidant Hydration Mask is a tried-and-true favorite of many here, plus the warming is perfect for winter!

Tagging a few others @lmaster @WinglessOne @heartsmyface @itsfi @quspork @Kim888 @Shosh85 

@eshoe Thank you so much for all these terrific suggestions! I will be sure and give some of them a try asap. Tatcha is a very good idea for sure (plus yes so pretty!) and I love all things Farmacy.  Why didnโ€™t I think of that. Lol That is probably exactly what is going on. Iโ€™m trying to stay ahead of this dry skin game and will not let it win!๐Ÿ˜˜

H for Haruharu and a lip mask that sounds good enough to eat!

haru.jpg

Spoiler
@missjeanie first mentioned the Pixi Skintreats Glow Mud Mask, and it is one of the best-scented masks in my rotation. It has a sweet & spicy ginseng scent, and lots of great ingredients like squalane, diatomaceous earth and bentonite. It dries only slightly, rinses off easily and never causes my skin to feel dry after using. The LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Gummy Bear makes me want to eat gummy bears (even though it is grape-scented!). I think gummy bears might be my favorite food, right after salad and good french fries ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you @heartsmyface for this yummy theme that made me pine for the Perricone MD Cocoa mask๐Ÿ˜ญ!!

The Haruharu Wonder Maqui Berry Anti-Oxidant Mask is a flecked, 
gauze-y, slightly oversized mask with a thin, watery serum. 
harumask.jpg
The scent - to me - was like a curry dinner. I asked for a second opinion because I suspect my sense of smell is off. The younger one said it reminded her of the pool. So who knows. It was different, not overwhelming, and intriguing, at least. I wore it for good 25-30 minutes, after which it began to dry and detach in the usual areas. My skin appeared lighter, as in, I looked pale. The mask claims to help correct pigmentation, brighten and even the skin's tone. It definitely lightened my skin temporarily, but in my case, I just looked sickly ๐Ÿ˜„ There was little tack remaining, and my skin did feel hydrated. I forgot to use my sleeping mask/oil and still woke up with skin that did not feel overly dry. There are three others on this line that I hope to try soon. Based on the performance of this one, I have high expectations!

Ingredients:
Spoiler
DF075C8E-1587-4027-B98A-DEEB022DBEE1.jpeg

โ€ƒ

@eshoe  Haha! You and your daughters opinion on scent are so different! Now I'm just imagining a chlorinated curry smell ๐Ÿ˜† Besides looking sickly, it sounds like it turned out so nice!

I used a mask from this brand and I remember it having great results but a very interesting scent as well ๐Ÿค”

Was it in this style, @Shosh85?

572AB481-B461-49AE-B3D4-B659EB301DC0.jpeg

It must have been an interesting scent if that stuck out in your mind! 

@eshoe  Yup, this is the exact one I used! In my notes I wrote that it smelled like a mix of berries, brown rice, wine and floral.... ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿค”

Mmmmm @Shosh85 a smรถrgรฅsbord of scents in a mask๐Ÿ˜†

Oh no @eshoe sorry you looked sickly!! Scent also sounds intriguing

Ha yea not a good look for me but worthy of noting in case anyone needs a brightening mask, @lmaster!

@eshoe hahahaha... curry??? Not what I was expecting.  You're reminding me that I have a pixi sleeping mask to crack open! 

I wasnโ€™t expecting it either, @missjeanie! I am very curious what the others are like. It was probably just a fresh, clean scent (where the โ€˜poolโ€™ comes in), or maybe remnants of the Pixi mask stuck in my mind๐Ÿ˜‰

@eshoe  Curry dinner!!?  I wasnโ€™t t expecting to read that.  And then the pool?   Iโ€™m trying to imagine what eating curry in a pool would smell like๐Ÿ˜….  I like that itโ€™s super brightening!  

3 Replies
testing