Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@eshoe  I regularly use the COSRX Centella Water Alcohol-Free Toner as a hydrating mist. You've probably seen me post it several times in the skincare routine of the day thread. ๐Ÿ™‚ It's my favorite mist for hydration between skincare steps, mild redness reduction, and mild soothing. My skin responds very well to centella asiatica, and this "toner" has a rather simple ingredients list with no fragrance or anything my skin hates: 

Spoiler
Ingredients: Water, Centella Asiatica Leaf Water, Butylene Glycol , 1,2-Hexanediol, Betaine, Panthenol, Allantoin, Ethyl Hexanediol, Sodium Hyaluronate. 

Hopefully your skin won't need healing again. But yeah, it's good to have things handy in case it happens again. This COSRX mist isn't really part of my bad reaction/broken barrier kit, since I use it daily. A COSRX cica serum is, though. 

I don't know how stringent Korea is when it comes to cosmetics laws, but I assume Korean products must list all ingredients used, aside from incidental* ingredients. If I recall correctly, the ingredients rules for Japanese skincare products are similar to US rules. Have you seen reports of hidden ingredients included in masks? Or is it just something you've wondered about? I'm curious if there's actually data/studies on this topic. 

*Here's how the FDA defines incidental ingredients (copied/pasted direct from the cosmetics labeling guide on the FDA's site, because hell if I always remember all of this ๐Ÿ˜‚) : 

Spoiler

Incidental Ingredients 

Definition: 
Any processing aid added and removed or converted to a declared ingredient 
or 
Any ingredient of another ingredient or processing aid present at an insignificant level and having no technical or functional effect 

Need not be declared 

Incidental ingredients need not be declared on the label. 

An incidental ingredient is defined in ยง 701.3(1) as: 

1. A substance added during manufacture and removed from the cosmetic in accordance with good manufacturing practices before the cosmetic is packaged in finished form. Example: Filter aid. 
  2. A substance that is added during manufacture of a cosmetic, is converted to an ingredient declared on the label, and does not significantly increase the concentration of the declared ingredient. Example: Sodium hydroxide added to a sodium stearate and stearic acid-containing cosmetic. 
  3. A substance added to a cosmetic during manufacture for its technical effect in processing but present in the finished cosmetic at an insignificant level and not having any technical or functional effect in that cosmetic. Example: Defoaming agent. 
  4. A substance added to a cosmetic as a component of a cosmetic ingredient and having no technical or functional effect in the finished cosmetic. Example: Preservative of a raw material added to a cosmetic as an ingredient at a concentration which reduces the preservative to a level at which it is no longer effective. 

Ok the CosRx mist sounds like a future buy. Heading to Notes to add it. And the serum๐Ÿ˜‰

Re: the ingredients, I read something awhile ago that more than anything, just made me consider the possibility that maybe some manufacturers are not being 100% transparent with their ingredients. This is an excerpt from an article back in 2019.

Spoiler
โ€œThrough continued use, the skin may become dependent on the steroid, which could lead to allergies, inflammation, pimples and expansion of capillaries once consumers stop using it.

Sheet mask manufacturers use steroids in their formulations because they offer immediate positive results. โ€œSteroids act fast and give visible results on skin immediately, tricking customers into thinking that these are high performance products,โ€ explained Phoebe Song, founder of Snow Fox skincare.โ€

Glucocorticoid is a banned ingredient, but itโ€™s still sneaking its way into sheet masks and due to the sheer amount being produced, it hard for regulatory bodies to keep up.

We reached out to Fatma Ben Ammar who is the brand manager at The Face Shop, South Korea-based skincare and cosmetics manufacturer, retailer. Speaking about the use of steroids in face masks, she said: โ€œAll the ingredients for sheets masks at The Face Shop are derived from natural plants which are then put through the natural grinding extraction process, where in the plants are ground and extracted and then blended with moisturizing water-based ingredients. We do not recommend the use of steroids in masks or any skincare products for that matter. Healthy skin, healthy life is the motto we go by.โ€

Leija Cas also weighed in on the topic. The founder of Knesko Skin, a holistic brand that produces serum-infused collagen gel masks, she was also adamant that steroids do more harm than good in the long run: โ€œAt Knesko Skin we do not use steroids in our products. Our brand is clean, nontoxic and natural brand that uses only clean and safe ingredients that do not have negative effects on the skin. Unsupervised use of topical steroids such as glucocorticoid will actually inflame and damage skin cells causing skin sensitivity, irritation, redness etc. Steroids also will trick customers initially, into believing that they are investing in high performance skincare when in reality they are only hurting their skin. There is absolutely no reason to put any kind of steroids into your skincare.โ€โ€

I only think about this often because of the fact that my skinโ€™s sensitivity has increased, whereas I had zero issues three, four years ago. Yes, it could certainly be an accumulation of EOโ€™s. But for someone who masks nightly, it is certainly in the back of my mind. Idk, maybe it just comes with the years!

@eshoe  Yep, your skin can develop sensitivity to any ingredient over time. You can also develop a true allergy to anything. That's why I had to stop using lavender extract and lavender oil on my face and neck, after decades of having no issues with lavender in skincare products. I don't know exactly how common this phenomenon is, but I suspect it's not rare. Especially when you consider how skin type/behavior changes over the years. Your recent issues probably stem from this, rather than a steroid being snuck into a product you've used. You could always try to get your products tested at a lab... it'd probably be pricey, but it'd sure be interesting! 

About that article: 

Spoiler
I wanted to read the whole thing, so I searched for it at middleeastbeauty. Then I asked google for other articles about steroids in sheet masks, and that's how I found the earlier Byrdie article middleeastbeauty seems to have plagiarized (unless both authors are the same person), minus the last 2 paragraphs where they reached out to The Face Shop and Knesko Skin. Anyway, since both articles mention a Chinese investigation (yet middleeastbeauty's article doesn't link to any info about the investigation... ugh, I wish they'd posted some facts about the issue, not just some fluffy stats on sheet mask popularity ๐Ÿ™„), I wanted to see some info direct from a Chinese news source. The Byrdie article links to a Chinese report, but I couldn't read it without registering for access. Comments I found elsewhere about that report said it's way too vague anyway. But I found a 2018 Chinese news report that gave a few details. I can't speak or read any Chinese dialect, so I had to rely on Chrome's translator. 

The gist:  

• China tested batches of masks after many Chinese consumers complained of bad reactions. 
  • The culprits: certain masks by Guangzhou Boyi Cosmetics Co. Ltd. and some other brands that weren't named; also, some counterfeit masks. 
  • One Guangzhou Boyi mask had bacteria levels 84 times above China's acceptable limit. 
  • Bacteria levels in the counterfeits and some masks by unnamed brands were 1000 - 7200 (!!!) times above the limit.* 
  • 2 masks (don't know the brands) illegally contained glucocorticoids. 

*Reminds me of that story from a year or 2 ago about some Korean masks being packaged inside people's private residences instead of factories, with little to no sanitary handling. Ugh. 

My key takeaways: 

1. Don't use counterfeit products. I'm sure most of us try not to anyway, but it's sometimes hard to spot fake sheet masks. 
  2. This issue was about certain Chinese masks. I don't know if any masks from other countries have this issue. 
  3. Try to study, or even research**, up on brands/products before buying them. Look for info/data about a brand's regulatory or safety track record. Scan reviews for bad reaction stories (and decide what your "too many bad stories, I'm not gonna trust this product" threshold is). Always read the ingredients lists, and look up anything you don't knowโ€”and don't rely on EWG safety ratings (I won't rant about the EWG again here). 

**There are differences between look up, study, and research: 

Spoiler
Look up = searching for a definition, stat, etc. 

Study = reading up on an ingredient, product, stats, etc., perhaps at a couple different sources. 

Research = reading clinical studies and learning how to interpret them as best you can; looking for input from doctors, chemists, etc., whether written in articles or spoken to you (if you have access to a doc or chemist and can ask the questions); cross-referencing various sources; writing your own abstracts and forming your own conclusions; etc. 

Research is a lot of work. It's what keeps some of us hopping through miles of rabbit holes for days/weeks. Study and look-ups aren't bad, of course, and not everyone has the time or willingness to truly research thingsโ€”and that's okay. 

What I just did for this steroids in sheet masks issue is more along the lines of study. I haven't dug deeper than blog articles and news reports, looked for more sources on the issue, investigated the named Chinese skincare brand's track record, looked for China's standards on skincare ingredients and acceptable bacteria (and types of bacteria) limits, etc. That's a whole other journey for... later. ๐Ÿคฃ 

@WinglessOne @those are the articles I read as well, and yes to some of it basing pretty vague. I do remember hearing about the packaging in questionable/not 100% sanitary conditions, but not in the detail that you provided (yuck is right). 

I appreciate the clarification between different levels of analysis. I think itโ€™s safe to say 90% of what I do can be categorized as โ€˜look up.โ€™ Unless it is something that really piques my interest. Now this did, but I stopped short of doing anything that required Google translate. For the most part, the masks I use are made in Korea. Not for any other reason than they seem to be more readily available.

All that being said...it is a good reminder to buy from reputable sources. It seems so bizarre to me that there are even counterfeit sheet masks out there. Of all things!

Coffee for hours,,,, @WinglessOne yes,,, absolutely yes ๐Ÿคฃ

@lmaster  When I first opened the sleeve, I stuck my nose inside and inhaled deeply a few times. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Fragrance is the last ingredient but I wonder if it's even needed. Maybe the sweet cream scent comes from added fragrance. I think the mask would smell even more like coffee (well, black coffee) without it. 

@WinglessOne that's enough for me to want to try it! 

@WinglessOne, "For the next couple hours, I smelled coffee whenever I turned my head." Ahhh, just hearing that puts a smile on my face. Your results from this mask sound lovely! I like the brand name, too - Uz Me (or "Use Me") - cute and fun. But, you had me at the smell of coffee! ๐Ÿ˜

@itsfi  Yep, Uzme themselves explain that's the meaning of their brand name. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'll admit the name grabbed my attention before the coffee theme did. The brand doesn't have a website and I didn't spend much time trying to track down info on their manufacturer and distributor. They seem to have only 3 products, so I assume they're a young brand. I'll have to keep an eye on them to see if they expand. 

@WinglessOne  Oooh, I'm so happy to see you liked this one! I bought a couple of these hoping they had a good coffee scent!๐Ÿ˜‹โ˜•๏ธ

....... also, speaking of BS claims, did you see where it said it prevents cancer? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘‡

Spoiler
BEDD9B82-3E66-48B0-A713-EF37112028BB.jpeg

@Shosh85 ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ I mean okay, caffeine can act like an antioxidant that protects skin cells from free radicals. But it's a bold stretch to claim it prevents skin cancer, especially without stating how much caffeine's in this mask. And you can't substitute a caffeinated serum or cream for sunscreen and expect the same level of UV protection. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I'm sure some folks would call this a lost in translation thing but I dunno... now I'm gonna Google Translate the entire back of the mask sleeve and all of Uzme's Korean language marketing images. 

Crazy claims aside, I hope you enjoy this mask! Can't wait to see your review. 

@Shosh85 ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿคฆ

Got both themes covered with this one ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿง‡C92BFF24-DD68-4D96-84CA-9A1C43965F9A.jpeg

Spoiler

Kokostar Waffle Mask ~ Honey

Material:

Medium thickness cotton, but gauzy and breathable

Serum:

Thin and sort of slimy gel essence. There was a lot extra in the pouch

Scent:

Sweet honey. Yummy. ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿฏ

Fit:

Just a smidge too wide at the forehead and a little too long at the chin.

Wear Time:

35 minutes

Tack:

Light, but stuck around for about 20 minutes

Results:

Soft and smooth, a little bouncy, comfortably hydrated skin with a nice glow.

Repurchase?

Yes, definitely! The scent was delicious, the material was comfortable and the results were great. I'm super excited to try the others from the line! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿง‡

Ingredients:

Spoiler
873C07B0-DD57-4C57-85DF-50F2289D350A.jpeg

I've been hoarding the set I bought @Shosh85 I'm using the excuse of using up some soon to be expired masks first ๐Ÿ˜† glad you loved it!!

@lmaster I am trying to use the masks closest to expire first too .... but this one fit the theme so well, I had to let it slide ๐Ÿ˜†

Oooooh this is such a great mask, @Shosh85!!! Everything about it๐Ÿคฉ Facetory just came out with a waffle style mask, too...I think @Kim888 may have tried it. 

@eshoe  It was sooo good! ๐Ÿฏ Definitely makes me excited to try out the rest of the line! ๐Ÿง‡๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I have been holding on to the blueberry ๐Ÿซ @Shosh85, ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ it has a true fruity scentโ˜บ๏ธ I wonder if @sonnydee (the original enabler, ha!) finished her set, yet...

G for Green and Galactomyces:

12E67892-5FF5-484A-B7B3-58B5CF630099.jpeg

Spoiler
Everything here is a repeat, the only one I would not repurchase is the Bite Beauty Agave+ Weekly Vegan Lip Scrub 0.7 oz/ 20 g as The consistency is a little too goopy and messy. The deep emerald green Leahlani Mermaid Mask is one of the few products with spirulina that my skin tolerates. I find the scent slightly citrusy; the mini says it reminds her of โ€œcucumber sparkling water with a hint of fish.โ€ 

The Secret Key with Galactomyces Ferment (a by-product of fermented sake) has a subtle flowery rose scent that is pleasant. Fit is good, with plenty of watery (and drippy!) essence. I had a ten pack of these and would happily pick up another. It isnโ€™t a perfect mask, but itโ€™s one I reach for often. A better-than-filler mask!

Love that it's better than a filler โ˜บ๏ธ @eshoe 

itโ€™s a great everyday mask with a little extra ๐Ÿ˜ @lmaster. Some days thatโ€™s all that is required ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 Reply
testing