Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi Hmmm, I don't think I've ever seen a 5 step mask before! I love how colorful it is ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

It's too bad it made you break out! I wonder if it was caused by steps 2 and 5, since they were so thick. I know there's been some thick moisturizers that have caused break-outs for me. Could you tell if there's any ingredients that might've been the culprit(s)?

@Shosh85, I have a feeling it was all the pretty colors that made me pick it up; it looks fun and I thought it might be a good one to pack with me when I had a one-day trip. At first, I thought it might be the yucca root extract in the moisturizing cream because I don't recall using anything with that ingredient in it before this 5-piece set, but that's not an ingredient in the cleansing foam wash. Yucca root extract is also in the toner though. All steps seem to contain limonene, linalool and fragrance - maybe having so much of those products collectively is what caused me to break out? Hmmm....

Masking with numbers, with 100% Camillia Japonica oil:

starskin.jpg

Spoiler

Theร‚ Suqqu Moisture Rich Maskhas been reviewed here before; it is a comforting and hydrating mask that is very thick, jelly-like and subtly rose-scented. It turns from a clear gel to milky when applied with anything more than a light touch. From what I've read online, you don't want it to turn white, but I find it difficult to do this as I cover my face. It is one I reach for often, but can't say I would repurchase it as there are other options for hydration that seem to work just as well.

The Starskin 100% Camellia Nourishing & Brightening is a 2-step mask. The first part is a capsule composed of 100% oil from camellia japonica seeds. It is considered to be a dry oil, because it doesnโ€™t leave the skin feeling oily. It was scentless, and absorbed quickly. After using a generous amount, I still had almost 2/3 remaining. The mask itself had a single protective coating, and appeared to have a mesh-like texture. The fit was comfortable, and after smoothing down, adhered to my skin for the next 30 or so minutes. After removing, I found my skin pleasantly plumped, with minimal tack. No redness, irritation, or swelling - this one was a winner! I would love to use this again, everything about it felt like a special treat.

starmask.jpg

Ingredients:

Spoiler
staring.jpg

To finish, I applied a layer of the Tatcha The Kissu Lip Mask Original on my lips and Glow Recipe Watermelon + AHA Glow Sleeping Mask Mini 1 oz/ 30 mL. I meant to apply the remaining camellia seed oil before falling asleep, but since I didn't, I will use it tonight. My skin felt smooth this morning, a tad dry, but I think the oil would help in sealing it all in. I have a feeling that might not be the correct order, I always seem to get the two mixed up! Either way, it was a very pleasant masking. Thank you @emaisgr8, loved this week's challenge idea!

@eshoe  This whole combination looks so nice. I haven't tried the suqqu mask, but I have a special place in my heart for suqqu products. And I am 95% sure I have that sheet mask somewhere - now I need to find it! 

The mask was from last yearโ€™s June Allure box, @PrettyPaint. The same one with the watermelon Pรผrlisse charcoal cleanser.

Do you have any beauty items form Suqqu? I love how they look and the fact they are sheer (though I personally have never tried them). The brushes are what first caught my eye, but I havenโ€™t tried those yet, either. Maybe some day!

@eshoe  Aha!  - that's probably why I have that mask. I did have an allure subscription back then (I cancelled when they raised the price). I always misplace sheet masks when they come in beauty boxes.

I haven't purchased suqqu in a couple of years so I'm not sure if their shadows are still the same, but really do love their eye shadows and enjoy their sheer texture. I also like their liquid eyebrow pen. I really wish suqqu was easier to obtain in the US. 

@PrettyPaint I really hope to try their blushes and shadows at some point. The sheerness is what appeals to me, too!

@eshoe, camellia oil is a wonderful ingredient for dry skin. Nice to hear the Starskin mask worked out so well for you.

You recently used another two-step camellia mask, too @itsfi - I think it was one from Facetory๐Ÿค” It seems like a good oil to have on hand for winter! Usually I just mist and tone prior to a sheet mask, it was good to get out of the everyday box and try a new method.

@eshoe, the mask was from the brand Blossom Jeju ~ I think all of their products are centered around camellia oil. It was one of the brands curated by Glow Recipe before they made their own products. Have you tried applying a sheet mask after your essence and serum step? That's another method.

No, I havenโ€™t tried that, @itsfi; it sounds like it would be a good way to encourage the skin to soak up extra moisture. Will test it out this week, although with all the rains it doesnโ€™t feel like the typical dry winter! โ„๏ธ

@eshoe, I usually go through my skincare routine through my serum / ampoule step, then a sheet mask, then my moisturizer + oil. It's been raining here every few days, which is good; we really need the rain.

That makes a lot of sense, @itsfi. I am mixing it up a bit, now if I can just retrain my brain to remember it every night;) The rains have been wonderful! We are headed to play in the snow today, itโ€™s nice to have some winter weather!

@eshoe  Sounds like such a great masking session! I've never tried anything from Starskin, but this mask sounds lovely- definitely a special treat! So happy you enjoyed it! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

It was, @Shosh85! Using the rest of the camellia oil tonight, too. I found it online, might just pick up a small bottle at some point to incorporate in dry weather pre-sheet masking:)

Iโ€™ve tried the prickly pear mask form Starskin, and am currently using the celery juice cleansing balm which is so, so gentle (but more than I want to spend on a cleanser ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ).

mask with numbers theme

IMG_20210122_175038646.jpg

• โ€ƒalthough I'm not sure what exactly the numbers mean, this sheet fits the theme ๐Ÿ˜† gifted to me by the kindest of hearts @WinglessOne thank you!!
  • This sheet was highly saturated in a clear serum that smelled sort of light herbal. Tons of extra serum 
  • The fit on this one was larger on the sides than most masks I've used, so I did some folding in areas, otherwise the sheet stayed out the entire time
  • Wear time was 20 minutes
  • After removing, holy hydration!!! This mask definitely delivers some much needed hydration and it plumped up my skin wonderfully, lightly moisturized and looked more radiant
  • I noticed a touch of tackiness that lasted about 5 minutes
  • This is a great sheet, especially in the winter where I live, it's brutal and extreme low temps, so my skin was more than happy with these results

@lmaster  Yay, I'm glad you loved this mask! I like this mask serum better than the bottled Raw Sauce essenceโ€”and I used to loooooove Raw Sauce. Definitely a great choice for our current weather conditions. ๐Ÿ‘

@WinglessOne thank you thank you!!! This mask literally saved my skin, I had no idea how much hydration I was lacking until I seen how my skin just soaked this serum up!!

@lmaster  This looks amazing. I have only tried the raw sauce by this brand (which I like a lot), but now I want to seek out this mask! ๐Ÿ™‚

@PrettyPaint it was a skin saver for me, I have to go out every night in the cold to lock the chickens in their coop and lock the barn doors, it's been pretty darn cold around 15-25 degrees (could be worse) and my skin has definitely felt underhydrated! 

@lmaster  Oooh, I love this one! The raw sauce is pretty awesome too! So happy to hear you loved it! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜

testing