Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@Shosh85 what is your take on the scent? It was hard for me to pinpoint, I was feeling like it had a light herbal scent ๐Ÿคท 

@lmaster  It's been awhile, but my notes say "a light clean & fresh scent" ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป 

Ok @Shosh85 I knew it was not an overpowering scent that jumped at me, in my mind, I was thinking herbal/clean. Still could not pinpoint, thank you

This is one of my favorite sheet masks @lmaster! I really love the May Coop Raw Sauce essence. Regarding the numbers, here's information from yesstyle dot com:

may coop 5.100.12.PNG

Thank you so much for this info!! @itsfi 

@itsfi @lmaster  I also found this on the May Coop website..... just a tad different than yesstyle's version: ๐Ÿ˜‰

EC031A63-98CD-43AF-8E12-A0000E3747BA.jpeg

@Shosh85 oh interesting!!

Going with the numbers theme again and using this Ariul 7 Days Mask ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

FCC9FE69-8468-4F45-B564-53E33B421833.jpeg

Spoiler

Ariul 7 Days Aloe Sheet Mask

This is a thin cotton sheet mask that was saturated with a white milky serum. The scent was like a combination of fresh & clean and aloe, but fresh & clean is what was more apparent to me. The fit on this one reminds me of the fit on a typical Creme Shop mask - it was too wide, the space between the eyes was a little too wide and was too long at the chin/jawline. The adherence was good and it was comfortable to wear the half hour I had it on. After removing the mask there was some very light tackiness, that only lasted about 5 minutes. My face felt refreshed, soft and nicely moisturized. The little bit of redness I had was gone and my skin tone looked more even.

I enjoyed this one! The only negative thing I can say about it is the fit - which is never a deal breaker for me. I'd definitely repurchase!

Ingredients:

Spoiler
E88C1D43-C71D-4116-B6BB-A817419681BA.jpeg 

@Shosh85  So glad you had good results. The packaging on this one looks familiar to me - I wonder if I have one somewhere that I got from facetory. If so, I'll be sure to have some scissors handy because I'm sure I would need to trim it.

@Shosh85 I agree, fit is usually not a deal breaker for me either, sounds great

Thanks, @lmaster!  Yeah, it's nice when it has a good fit, but having to make some adjustments is no big deal ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Shosh85 that is fantastic that this helped with alleviating some of the redness! Plus a milky serum, what a great bonus. I expected to find centella or ceramides in the ingredients, it must be the aloe that helped soothe๐Ÿค” 

@eshoe  Yup, most likely the aloe! It definitely felt super soothing and the milky serum made it even better! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Love this line, @Shosh85! I'm glad to hear this one was a winner for you!

@quspork  It really is a good solid line of masks! The milky serum on this one was such a nice surprise! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Ooouh, an aloe sheet mask you would repurchase @Shosh85? Noted! Those results sound great! โค๏ธ The fit on this one sounds like the fit of pretty much all sheet masks on me. I agree, fit isn't a deal breaker, especially since it can be made better with a few adjustments.

@itsfi  This one was so nice! I'm definitely a sucker for milky serum! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Donโ€™t blame you one bit @Shosh85! Love the sheet masks with the milky serums. โ™ฅ๏ธ

I was inspired by the collage of masks in @haleyvvvv's last post. Here are the rest of my green tea masks from last week.

Cava - Green Tea Masks Collage - 4 masks.png

Spoiler
Mask:Missha Pure Source Cell Sheet Mask (Green Tea)The Crรจme Shop Green Tea Latte Fusion Sheet MaskSephora Collection Clean Matcha Tea Face MaskWhole Foods Air Wrapping Mask Moisturizing Green Tea
Claim(s):Moisturizing and calmingAnti-aging, nourishing and  repairing (correcting discoloration)Mattifying and clarifyingMoisturizing and refreshing
Material:"Compact cell fabric" which I've taken to mean thin-ish cotton material.  This one has a grid/gauze like pattern to the material.Thin-leaning cotton maskEucalyptus fiber2 piece mint green foil mask
Fit:Extra large width- and length-wise. Holes for eyes and mouth are very narrow and require adjustments.Like most of the masks from The Crรจme Shop, the fit on this one is overly large all around. It means it'll be suitable for many face sizes and shapes and for me, it means I just need to pull out my mini scissors to make some adjustments. Fit is fine - I like that the eye holes and mouth hole are wider than most sheet masks. It is too long at the chin/jawline for me, but that also is very common with sheet masks.Fit is pretty good, but requiring incision to the corners of the eyes to keep them from being smooshed and also to reduce the likelihood that the essence would get into my eye.
Adherence:GoodGreat; the material clung to the skin comfortablyGreat; gently hugs the contours of the face.Good. It stayed on for the entire wear time and I was able to get some things done around the house at the same time.
Essence:Clear and wateryThin, slightly runny, clear watery essence.Light, slightly viscous, clear essence Clear liquid
Scent:Soft, fresh, partly medicinal, partly herbaceous minty scentMy recollection was that this had a green tea creamy scent but when I reached for this last week, I didn't really pick up a scent. Hmmmโ€ฆVery light green tea scentNot really any discernible other than it having a fresh scent.
What I Liked:Affordable. Green tea extract is the 5th ingredient listed. Ingredients list supports claims though some are rather low on the list - allantoin (soothing - 6th); jojoba esters (emollient - 11th); camellia japonica flower extract (antioxidant, anti-pollutant and soothing - 19th); and sodium hyaluronate (hydrating - 24th).When I read milk proteins on a sheet mask, it makes me think the essence will be a creamy or milky serum, a treasure for those of us with dry or dehydrated skin, or really, for anyone who finds their skin looking dull or in need of some nourishment, which could be anyone in the cold, winter months. Has a cooling and refreshing effect on the skin.The ingredients really are the stars of this mask. The ingredients list is great, with the key ingredient (green tea extract) being the 4th ingredient listed and a host of other good-for-the-skin ingredients that follow, all of which are vegan. The price point for the mask is very nice too - comparable to many sheet masks from Asian brands.
Area(s) for Improvement:(i) Denatured alcohol - that it's there and also that it's listed before green tea extract; (ii) added fragrance; (iii) tingling sensation lingersMost of the key ingredients appear in the middle of the ingredients list. Also, that list includes (i) denatured alcohol; and (ii) added fragrance, neither of which irritated my skin, but I'd prefer a mask not to contain either.This one had a tingling effect that while not overwhelming, is definitely noticeable. It's recommended that the mask be worn for 5 minutes, which, given the tingling, is probably a good duration.More accessibility to these masks. Some versions are available through amazon now but it's limited. 
Performance + Results:I experienced some slight and brief tingling around my under eye and cheek bone areas - my skin is normally sensitive in those areas, but the tingling lasted for a while and I removed the mask after about 5 minutes. My skin looked dewy after I removed the mask but it was also slightly pink in those areas where I felt the tingling. A one-time use isn't going to shed much like on a mask's anti-aging claim. I didn't notice any mattifying or clarifying from this mask. What I did notice was that there was no stickness after removing the mask and my skin felt lightly hydrated.My skin felt soft, hydrated and plump afterwards.
Overall Thoughts:Generally speaking, this Missha mask is what I think of as a standard daily sheet mask. The tingling for me is too much and this isn't one I'd repurchase.This is one of the first masks from The Crรจme Shop that I used, following the recommendations of some maskers on BIC, so it holds some nostalgia for me. At that time, it was a mask that I would consider a staple in my collection. It's still what I would consider a good mask, and I'd happily use it again, but having tried other similar masks through the years, there are ones that I prefer more so it's not one I would seek out. ETA: it seems this mask has been discontinued, which actually makes sense because I received it as a surprise gwp in a couple previous orders. FWIW, pre-covid,  a box would pop up occasionally at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.I haven't tried all the sheet masks in the new clean collection (yet) but of the ones I have tried, I'd classify this one as a good, but not great mask. The tingling keeps it from the great category. I'd use the mask again, but it's not my first choice of the masks in this line.I'm not aways the biggest fan of foil masks but this one isn't bad. My preference is for 2-piece masks like this one for me, that's an added plus. Results are good and I would probably repurchase but it's not my first choice of mask from within the Whole Foods collection.

All the green tea drinks and treats were tasty, too! ๐Ÿ˜‹ I would definitely repurchase or make them again. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I have to ask @itsfi what are the food items in your photos??

@lmaster, love this question!!! โ™ฅ๏ธ

* upper left (Missha mask) - green tea mochi - a Japanese rice cake with a green tea filling - it's sweet but not overly sweet. Here's a pic of what the inside looks like:

photo from finedininglovers dot comphoto from finedininglovers dot com

* lower left (Sephora mask) - green tea ice cream mochi - Japanese rice cake filled with green tea ice cream

1 Reply
testing