Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@heartsmyface I'm telling you....I searched for any sign of it being edible ๐Ÿ˜‚

Cacao โœ…

Warmingโœ…

Soft and hydrated skinโœ…

This sounds like a delicious win, @lmaster. I will be on the lookout to wear while making chocolate self saucing pudding

@haleyvvvv oh my gosh!! This mask is definitely tempting to eat!! ๐Ÿ˜†

@lmaster I am so intrigued by this..and now hungry!๐Ÿ˜‚. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. 

@mishanyc if you are a chocolate lover,,, this mask is a must!! ๐Ÿ˜† Just have since edible chocolate on hand after ๐Ÿ˜‰

@lmaster  So happy you loved it!! It's probably a good thing it's not edible! Haha! ๐Ÿ˜†

@Shosh85 truth!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

@lmaster, I read โ€œsmells like brownie batterโ€ and thatโ€™s good enough for me! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜† Itโ€™s okay if itโ€™s not edible, I would pick up a pint of brownies and cream ice cream to go with it. Or make a batch of brownies. Or both. ๐Ÿ˜ 

@itsfi mmmmmm that sounds fabulous!!

C is for Calming.

PXL_20210112_055228464.jpg

โ€ƒ

PXL_20210112_055239583.jpg

โ€ƒThis mask was calming. My skin looked calm and soothed afterwards. It was a lovely mask, and I'd use it again as my skin looked even after. I'd probably use it for an event for daytime, as the effects would be best suited for then. 

Love a good calming mask, @l8totheparty so glad to hear this one worked well for you!

@l8totheparty  Always a great idea to have some good calming/soothing masks on hand! Glad this one did what it was supposed to! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Calm and soothed skin sounds good to me @l8totheparty. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ I see that this one has added fragrance; was there a scent to this mask? 

@l8totheparty I don't think I've used the hemp version,, glad you enjoyed it

Thanks, @lmaster 

PXL_20210111_052301502.jpg

โ€ƒ

InShot_20210117_142640917.jpg

โ€ƒ

Delightful, moisturizing, confusing. 3 words to describe this mask. Mask up then....wipe off? Ok then. It was watery, and it (and the wipe) reminded me of micellar water. No matter, my skin was left soft and soothed. Would I use it again? Well, I will use the ones I have. If anyone knows of the steps differently than 1) wear mask 2) wipe with the wipe, I would love to know. 

@l8totheparty  I looked up the directions for this one and it said the Glacier Water Pad is supposed to "remove remaining essence and unwanted debris"...... why would I want to remove the essence and what kind of unwanted debris would I have? ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜† Yup, I agree with the others, this one's interesting!

Hmmm... Iโ€™m with @lmaster on this one @l8totheparty, interesting! Step 2 is infused with glacial water and meant to moisturize the skin. ๐Ÿค” Iโ€™ve seen people leave the second step on their cheeks for a little bit, treating it like they would an essence soaked cotton pad for adding extra hydration to the skin and then using the step 2 pad to wipe away the remaining essence from the mask. Interesting indeed. 

@l8totheparty this definitely sounds interesting

"We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming ...."
JLo Beauty.jpg
I didn't plan on using this sheet mask this week, but it's here, so why not?! ๐Ÿ˜ As for the mask challenge themes, the best I can do is C is for cannabis sativa seed oil; camellia sinesis leaf extract; carmine (eek! not sure why carmine is in a mask?!); and celebrity.
Spoiler
TL;DR
JLo Beauty That Limitless Glow Sheet Mask is a soft, pliable two-piece cotton mask (the lower half of which has two-sets of ear loops intended to help tighten and lift the chin/jawline), coated in a light, milky lotion serum that those with dry or dehydrated skin will love year-round and all skin types may welcome in the cooler seasons. There's a very light, very soft, barely noticeable scent to the serum but I can't pinpoint what the actual scent is. Though this line is olive focused, I wouldn't describe the scent as reminiscent of olives or olive oil (and yes, I smelled a jar of olives and olive oil I had in the kitchen to confirm). The mask is overall larger than your standard sheet mask, which makes it suitable for many face shapes and sizes. It wore comfortably (even the ear loops) and my skin looked and felt soft, smooth, hydrated and nourished after having it on for about 20 minutes. As for its claims to visibly tighten and firm the skin, I felt like the area under my eyes felt slightly more firm/tight, but I did not notice similar results with my chin and jawline. There's a fresh-faced, healthy, lit from within glow to my complexion, making this mask a good choice before makeup application, or when my skin is looking dull and needs a little pampering, or before a special event/occasion (and at $18 per mask or $48 for a set of 3, that's how I personally would use this). 

What I Liked:
Spoiler
Size / Fit:
The mask is large overall which will make it suitable for many face shapes and sizes. The ear loops were easy to place over my ear and wore comfortably - I didn't experience that face smooshing feeling that I sometimes can with sheet masks with ear loops. My cheeks, mouth and chin/jawline also did not feel smooshed together either). The hole for the eyes are supersized, which I really appreciate because although my eyes are not large at all, the eye holes for most sheet masks are too narrow. This one not the case here. However, for me at least, there was a lot of extra material covering the nose bridge and I needed to make some adjustments to the lower inner corner of the eye to keep the mask and really the essence from getting into my eye. 

Serum:
Speaking of the serum, it's that light, milky lotion consistency that I love when my skin is, like it is now, dehydrated and dry. The 2-pieces of the masks are covered in this serum, though I found that the top portion contained a lot more of it. The lower half of the mask felt at times like it was drying out. When it started feeling a little on the dry side, I massaged some of the serum from the top half of the mask to the bottom half. You could also scrape the serum from the interior of the mask sleeve and apply it onto the mask. It probably wouldn't have hurt if I worked the serum throughout the mask while still in the sleeve, before opening it. 

Performance:
The mask claims to visibly tighten, lift and hydrate the skin. With a name like "limited glow," it seems fair to add "brightening" to the list of results to expect from the mask. I left the mask on for a little longer than the recommended 10 minutes. I probably had it on for 20-25 minutes. The serum that remained atop my skin absorbed smoothly and quickly as I, per the instructions, massaged the serum into my skin. No tacky or sticky feeling. My skin felt nourished and tightened (as in more firm, not tight as in stripped of natural oils) along my under-eye areas, which is a plus in my book. I did not notice or feel any tightening/firming or lifting of my jawline. As for glowy skin, it's not a disco-ball glow or glass skin effect. Rather, it gives me a smooth, fresh faced, healthy radiance that comes through nicely under makeup, which I like, making this mask a nice one to use before makeup application, when your skin needs a little T.L.C., or before a special event/occasion, which in my case this morning, is before heading out to the farmers' market. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 
Area(s) for Improvement:
Spoiler
* Availability of Information: The ingredients are listed on the bottom of the box that the sheet mask packet comes in - it would be helpful to have it on the reverse side of the actual packet, along with instructions (which I was only able to locate on the JLo Beauty and Sephora website) and the expiration date of the mask sleeve. Or, as an alternative to the latter, the manufacture date. Sheet masks generally have a shelf life of 3 years from the date of manufacture, but neither date is listed on the mask sleeve or the box. I'm not concerned with the expiration date of these masks given that the launched just happened but knowing the expiration date would be helpful. There is a code listed on the box and reverse side of the mask packet; presumably, you could gather more information regarding manufacture / expiration date from that code, but the usual resources I turn to for that did not contain info on the mask. I imagine you could call customer service to obtain that information. 

* Ingredients: The mask contains some really good ingredients, but there's also some that make me wonder why they are in this sheet mask, like carmine. Even though it's the second to last ingredient listed, I'm still not sure what the purposes is here. 

* Price: Finally, the price. This is not your everyday mask (well, maybe I should say it's probably not an everyday mask for most people), so I do expect that this mask will have a higher price point. The mask material, design and serum support a higher price point. $18 just seems a little high to me so I'm not sure I would pick up another one for myself at full price. 
Ingredients:
Spoiler
(from sephora (dot) com)
Water, Butylene Glycol, Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate, Squalane, Niacinamide, Propanediol,
Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Rice Ferment Filtrate (Sake), Olive Oil Glycereth-8 Esters, Pseudozyma Epicola/Olive Fruit Oil Ferment Filtrate, Hydrogenated Ethylhexyl Olivate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Hydrogenated Olive Oil Unsaponifiables, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Aspalathus Linearis Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Honey Extract, Boswellia Serrata Extract, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Algin, Hexylene Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tetrapeptide-14, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hydroxide, Isopentyldiol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Carmine (CI 75470), Tin Oxide.

It does sound nice, @itsfi I'm just unsure about that price point. Maybe during a sale period lol. 

1 Reply
testing