Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@Shosh85  Oh I didn't even realize they had sheet masks. I'm not especially picky when it comes to clay masks, but it was nice to have a scented one. 

๐Ÿ˜Œ @PrettyPaint a clay mask that smells like watermelon??? Yes please

@lmaster  Watermelon makes everything better! ๐Ÿ‰

I can see the brand name and mask name being a band name and song title @PrettyPaint! Loved that this smelled like watermelon! ๐Ÿ‰ Is this one you would repurchase?

@itsfi  I actually already repurchased because I needed to meet the free shipping minimum at target! ๐Ÿ™‚ I usually can't tell a huge, huge difference between clay masks (unless they are too drying), but I liked this one for sure. I am probably biased because of the scent, though! ๐Ÿ™‚

A watermelon ๐Ÿ‰  clay mask is so intriguing. Nice that it was good, @PrettyPaint!!

@haleyvvvv  It was a fun one! ๐Ÿ™‚

B is for Balancing

IMG_20210108_204520173.jpg

โ€ƒ

• This is a naturally fermented coconut gel mask that is sandwiched between two protective layers.
  • The fit was good, inner eye holes needed snipped and was just a smidge into my hair line around the forehead. I also found it easy to apply this gel mask, others I've used have not cooperated as well as this one
  • The scent did remind me of pine sol but not overpowering, think of a light lemon scent with a touch of clean/ chlorine scent mixed in.
  • Not much extra serum in the package
  • Wear time was 15 minutes, with the witch hazel, I didn't want to go too long and potentially dry out my skin
  • Results: my skin did feel more hydrated and clean and balanced. The redness around my nose had also subsided
  • This is a good gel mask, I could see myself repurchasing this one after I get through more of my stashIMG_20210108_204537653.jpg

โ€ƒ

A non-overpowering Pine-Sol scent @lmaster??! I'll keep that in mind. Hahaha! ๐Ÿ˜‚ It boggles my mind that brands have such a seemingly hard time coming up with a lemon scent that doesn't smell like a household cleaning product. Or, that no one thinks it's an issue when doing QC on the mask. It's just a bit odd - did someone on the QC team think "oh wow, this smells like Pine-Sol, but not in an overwhelming way. I like it. This will be good."?? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ™„

Leaders was one of the first brands I tried when I started using sheet masks. I remember thinking this line was just okay, but I have a feeling that may be because I didn't fully appreciate sheet masks because now I find coconut gel masks to be wonderful. Making a note to pick up one from this line. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@itsfi I agree! I have had some masks that were extreme on the lemon cleaner scent, this one really wasn't bad, probably not everyone's cup of tea ๐Ÿ˜‰ but did enjoy it

@lmaster  Sounds like good results! I like how it reduced redness. The pine sol scent doesn't sound too appealing, though. I always enjoy how you describe smells! ๐Ÿ˜„

Hahaha!!! @PrettyPaint it really want ya bad scent, but the lemon clean you couldn't miss if you stick your nose in there ๐Ÿ˜‚

I chose the belif Aqua Bomb Sleeping Mask 2.53 oz/ 75 mL because I think aqua bomb would be a good band name (it also has a b in it). I liked the texture of the mask and it soaked in quickly, which was good seeing that itโ€™s a sleeping mask. I didnโ€™t see much of a change in my skin. I didnโ€™t like that it had a lot of fragrance and essential oils, so I wonโ€™t be repurchasing. 

@Piglylet, I'd go to an Aqua Bomb concert. ๐Ÿ˜‰  I do like how quickly it absorbs into the skin; it's one I prefer more in the warmer months. Sorry to hear this one isn't a good fit for you; good news is that there are a lot of sleeping masks out there to choose from. Is there a sleeping mask that you are partial to?

@Piglylet I feel like this one is actually more suited for me as a daytime moisturizer ๐Ÿ˜†

I'm sorry it didn't work for you, @Piglylet, despite the good band name!! Good to know about the fragrance.

@Piglylet  Aqua Bomb would be a great band name! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Sorry it didn't work for you! The first thing I noticed, was how high the alcohol denat is, which something I personally try to avoid. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

B is for bear

Rilakkuma.jpg

Sheet Mask:

Spoiler
First off, how cute is Rilakkuma?!!  I'm not as familiar with Rilakkuma  as other Japanese characters so that meant a little research while I masked. Courtesy of the internet, I learned that "Rilakkuma" means "bear in relaxed mood" and that Rilakkuma is "continuously lazy and relaxed", "totally stress-free" and does things at Rilakkuma's own pace. Rilakkuma sounds like the Gudetama of the bear world. Being relaxed and stress-free sound good to me. 

Mask Material, Essence, Adherence & Fit:
The vast majority of masks adhere very well to my mug and this adorably illustrated, thin-leaning cotton Rilakkuma Relax & Recover Hydrating Mask was fortunately no exception. Fit, on the other hand, usually always requires some adjustments, which in most cases is fine and not a deal breaker. Here, I found that the mask ran long, so for my face shape that meant there was the perfect amount of material to cover my entire forehead (a rare feat) but the mask was also very long at the chin/jawline, very possibly one of the longest masks I've ever used, over 2 inches too long. Width-wise, this mask is not as wide as most mask sheets and ended up being a really good fit for me. Nothing a pair of mini scissors can't fix, along with some snippets to the outer corner of the eyes and mouth so taht the material would lay better on my skin. The mask holds quite a bit of essence, which has a watery but not runny consistency and had that fresh sheet mask scent. 

Mask Claims, Performance and Results:
This Rilakkuma claims to refresh and moisturize the skin, making it smooth, plump, supple and dewy, and the ingredients list for this mask seems to support those claims. Interestingly, I experienced some tingling on both sides of my under eyes and upper cheeks. It wasn't unbearable but it was noticeable and stronger than I expect from a sheet mask. I ended up leaving the mask on but only for 15 minutes instead of my usual 30; the time recommended on the mask is 15-20 minutes. There was a lot of excess essence remaining when I removed the mask in large part I suspect because I didn't keep it on for as long as I usually do; it felt like I probably could have left the mask on for another 20 minutes with all the extra essence. It absorbed quickly and without tack. I did notice some pinkness on my cheeks where I experienced the tingling, but that was completely gone by the next morning. My skin felt hydrated and looked smooth and bouncy, with a healthy, fresh-faced glow to it, just as the mask claimed.

Under Eye Mask:

Spoiler
Eye Patch
Since my under eye area didn't seem to have suffered any lasting effects from the tingling from the sheet mask the night before, I decided to try out the Rilakkuma Under Eye Recovery Mask. The material on both sides of these reminds me of the Skyn Iceland eye matches, though I'd say that these Rilakkuma ones are slightly lighter and thinner than the Skin Iceland ones, and these eye patches have the cutest design. โค๏ธ I noticed that after using these patches, I looked more awake, which is a good result for everyone. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I have another pair of these under eye masks and another sheet mask; I may try layering these patches under the sheet mask next time to see if that helps with the tingling I experienced.

Rilakkuma masks.jpg

Omg this is too much!!! @itsfi ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ what was the scent like?

The print on these are super adorable @lmaster! ๐Ÿ˜ Not much of a scent to it - fresh, clean, like that signature sheet mask scent. Which Iโ€™ll gladly take over a mask that smells bad. ๐Ÿ˜† 

@itsfi OHHHH SO CUTE!!!!

1 Reply
testing