Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: Mask of the Week Challenge

The scent seriously needs to be bottled @PrettyPaint! ๐Ÿ˜‰ An example of when added fragrance is done right. 

Im embarrassed to say I have yet to try these. Maybe I'll wear one tomorrow while I'm cooking/getting ready for a party.๐Ÿ˜ I think i have all the variations too. @itsfi glad to hear its a good one, im just so bad about using eye masks. And I should since i always get the "you look tired". Duh, people. Duh. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

What @sonnydee?!!! People tell you that you look tired?! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I hope they were discreet about it. I shouldn't be surprised; in the past, there's been more than one occasion where I was told "oh, you really don't look so good." Thank you for that; no really; thank YOU! ๐Ÿคฃ Hahaha! The things people say. I've have these in my mask bin for ages it seems. I sometimes forget they are there but after using this one, I'm reminded how well these will come in handy when periodic breakouts or maskne means it might be better to not use a sheet mask on my chin / jawline area. Hope this one works out well for you. Have fun at your party!!! 

Not really discreet ๐Ÿ˜ณ@itsfi. and i even had that comment come up not just from family or "friends" but even acquaintances. And even if I have a newborn. Smh. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ i havent heard it fairly recently since weve been at home more but I'm sure it's coming

Ugh! ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ So sorry @sonnydee

Its ok @itsfi just helps me sharpen my wittiness/sarcastic responses. And if i don't like the person...๐Ÿ˜พ...im not even joking the things I come up.with. Some people just lack common sense/manners/courtesy. 

Excellent outlook @sonnydee! ๐Ÿค— Itโ€™s good to have a healthy dialogue of wit and sarcasm with yourself every now and again! Keeps the mind sharp! ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

B is for Benton

E63DA0C1-1E07-4151-9376-C0A55BD136AD.jpeg

Spoiler

Benton Goodbye Redness Centella Mask Pack

Material:

Thin cotton

Serum:

Clear and watery. A little extra in the pouch for hands and arms

Scent:

None that I could tell

Fit:

Almost perfect- just a smidge too long at the chin/jawline

Wear Time:

Half hour

Tack:

Very light and only stuck around for less than 10 minutes

Results:

Soft and smooth, lightly hydrated skin and a brighter, more even complexion.

I used a Biore nose strip right before this mask and it cleared up the redness I got from it.

Repurchase?

Yes, definitely! I would actually love to have permanent backups of this one. It makes a great soothing mask and a perfect one to have handy when my skin is acting up.

521A9132-7174-4BA2-95B8-70AE2CC75F48.jpeg

Nice!! @Shosh85 where did you find this one??

@Shosh85 Yay! I really like centella as a mask ingredient.

@PrettyPaint  Oh, me too! It's definitely one of my favorite skincare ingredients! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I'm in 100% agreement with you on having permanent backups of this mask @Shosh85๐Ÿ˜ Benton has a small curation of sheet masks but they are so good! โค๏ธ 

@itsfi  Happy to hear it's a love for you too! I would definitely love to try the others from the brand! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, is this the first Benton sheet mask youโ€™ve used? They have an aloe one that I really like - it along with this Cica one falls into the category of โ€œmasks to keep on hand for skin emergencies.โ€ Both are in my skincare first aid kit. Benton also makes a sheet mask version of their popular snail bee serum. 

@itsfi  Yup, this is my first one! I remember you reviewing the Aloe and Snail-bee ones and I would definitely like to pick those up sometime! I also saw a Fermentation one I'd like to try as well. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, how could I forget the fermentation one?!!! Especially since I took it out the other day. Oh goodness, how forgetful! 

B is for bean curd (aka tofu)

Tofu (bean curd).jpg

Spoiler
Mask:Mitomo Sincere Laura Tofu Facial Essence Mask
Material:It leans ever so slightly thinner than your standard sheet mask but there's also certain heft to it that feels more the result of the mask material itself (as opposed to the amount of essence it holds). It has a light gauze-like pattern to it as well. 

Purpose:Moisturizing, stimulates collagen production, anti-aging

Key Ingredients:Moisturizing - glycerin; glycine soja (soybean) seed extract; aloe vera leaf extract; sodium hyaluronate

Anti-aging - hydrolyzed collagen; ubiquinone (coQ-10); Boswellia serrata gum extract

Brightening - kiwi fruit extract; vitamin C (ethyl ascorbic acid)

Soothing - allantoin; aloe vera leaf extract

Full ingredients list in spoiler below.

Adherence + Fit:Adherence was good; fit is on the large side all around, which will make it suitable for many face sizes. A notable feature is that the eye holes are larger (both length and width-wise) than your standard face mask. This one included eye flaps as well.

Essence / Serum:Watery essence; there was plenty of essence to saturate the mask and some extra in the packet.
Scent:There's a non-lingering scent to the essence, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what it is. 

Results:There's a definite tacky feeling after removing the mask and pressing in the essence, but it eventually dissipates. My skin felt cool to the touch and this cooling feel remained for some time after removing the mask. 

Would I Repurchase?Maybe. There are just so many sheet masks geared at moisturizing the skin that it becomes more challenging for a mask of that kind to stand out. This isn't a bad mask; it's pretty good and one that I could see working well for daily sheet masking. 

My Two Cents:There are some great ingredients in this mask, but I can be very particular (read: picky highly selective) ๐Ÿ˜‰ when it comes to masks with moisturizing as its primary purpose. On the one hand, that's the type of mask that's very well suited for my dehydrated and dry skin in the cooler months. That though, coupled with the fact that there are a lot of moisturizing sheet masks out there means that it's harder for any moisturizing mask to really "wow" me. This particular tofu mask is what I'd consider a good mask, but not a great one.

Ingredients:
Spoiler
(from mitomos (dot) com)
Aqua, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Allantoin, Carbomer, Panthenol, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Triethanolamine, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Actinidia Chinensis (kiwi) Fruit Extract,  Ubiquinone, Ethyl Ascorbic Acid, Disodium EDTA, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract, Boswellia Serrata Gum extract, Fragrance, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Polyacrylate

@itsfi thanks so much for sharing this one! Even if it didn't wow you, I love seeing and reading reviews on new to me masks

@lmaster, thank you! The mask was fine; I think it suffers from having to compete with lots of really great masks used over the years. Also, just because it wasnโ€™t great for me doesnโ€™t mean it wonโ€™t be a wow for someone else. 

@itsfi  That's an interesting one. I don't think I've ever noticed coenzyme Q10 as a mask ingredient before. 

@PrettyPaint, itโ€™s usually listed on ingredients list as โ€œubiquinoneโ€; I didnโ€™t know they were the same thing for the longest time! What would we do without the internet?!!

3 Replies
testing