Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

💕😌 2024 Masking Challenge 😌💖

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights 💮

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks💗

Re: Mask of the Week Challenge

B is for bean curd (aka tofu)

Tofu (bean curd).jpg

Spoiler
Mask:Mitomo Sincere Laura Tofu Facial Essence Mask
Material:It leans ever so slightly thinner than your standard sheet mask but there's also certain heft to it that feels more the result of the mask material itself (as opposed to the amount of essence it holds). It has a light gauze-like pattern to it as well. 

Purpose:Moisturizing, stimulates collagen production, anti-aging

Key Ingredients:Moisturizing - glycerin; glycine soja (soybean) seed extract; aloe vera leaf extract; sodium hyaluronate

Anti-aging - hydrolyzed collagen; ubiquinone (coQ-10); Boswellia serrata gum extract

Brightening - kiwi fruit extract; vitamin C (ethyl ascorbic acid)

Soothing - allantoin; aloe vera leaf extract

Full ingredients list in spoiler below.

Adherence + Fit:Adherence was good; fit is on the large side all around, which will make it suitable for many face sizes. A notable feature is that the eye holes are larger (both length and width-wise) than your standard face mask. This one included eye flaps as well.

Essence / Serum:Watery essence; there was plenty of essence to saturate the mask and some extra in the packet.
Scent:There's a non-lingering scent to the essence, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what it is. 

Results:There's a definite tacky feeling after removing the mask and pressing in the essence, but it eventually dissipates. My skin felt cool to the touch and this cooling feel remained for some time after removing the mask. 

Would I Repurchase?Maybe. There are just so many sheet masks geared at moisturizing the skin that it becomes more challenging for a mask of that kind to stand out. This isn't a bad mask; it's pretty good and one that I could see working well for daily sheet masking. 

My Two Cents:There are some great ingredients in this mask, but I can be very particular (read: picky highly selective) 😉 when it comes to masks with moisturizing as its primary purpose. On the one hand, that's the type of mask that's very well suited for my dehydrated and dry skin in the cooler months. That though, coupled with the fact that there are a lot of moisturizing sheet masks out there means that it's harder for any moisturizing mask to really "wow" me. This particular tofu mask is what I'd consider a good mask, but not a great one.

Ingredients:
Spoiler
(from mitomos (dot) com)
Aqua, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Allantoin, Carbomer, Panthenol, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Triethanolamine, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Actinidia Chinensis (kiwi) Fruit Extract,  Ubiquinone, Ethyl Ascorbic Acid, Disodium EDTA, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract, Boswellia Serrata Gum extract, Fragrance, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Polyacrylate

@itsfi thanks so much for sharing this one! Even if it didn't wow you, I love seeing and reading reviews on new to me masks

@lmaster, thank you! The mask was fine; I think it suffers from having to compete with lots of really great masks used over the years. Also, just because it wasn’t great for me doesn’t mean it won’t be a wow for someone else. 

@itsfi  That's an interesting one. I don't think I've ever noticed coenzyme Q10 as a mask ingredient before. 

@PrettyPaint, it’s usually listed on ingredients list as “ubiquinone”; I didn’t know they were the same thing for the longest time! What would we do without the internet?!!

@itsfi  Ahhhh! I'll definitely be looking for that in the future. I wish I could say I was a little bit more thoughtful about looking through all of the ingredients list, but sometimes I just scan the first five or so...

That’s completely understandable @PrettyPaint! I usually just skim through the inci list to make sure it doesn’t have any ingredients I know my skin might react poorly to. Some days I do a better job of skimming than others. 🤷🏻‍♀️

@itsfi  Hmm, I don't think I've never seen a Tofu mask before! Another mask ingredient to add to my bucket list. 😉 Too bad it wasn't anything special. I feel like this brand makes a lot of filler-type masks 

Yeah @Shosh85, it's the first I've seen of a tofu sheet mask. That's actually why I purchased this one; had to give it a try, you know?! I feel like there might be one or perhaps a line of sheet masks from Mitomo (though I could be mistaking the brand) that I liked more than the others, which as you said, seem to make for good filler masks. I think that makes sense in some respects as filler masks can make for good daily sheet masks and that (daily sheet masking) is, for the most part, fairly common in Japan and Korea. I have a few more from this line that I'll work through, but after trying two from this line, my expectations will be that these are fine masks but not necessarily standouts. 

Still rolling with the healthy food tie ins eh @itsfi ?  lol, I know what you mean about being picky on moisturizing and hydrating masks.  I find that I almost defend 'brightening' or 'firming' masks as needing more time/consistency to have an effect on my skin while I expect a moisturizing one to have an immediate effect. 

Hahaha! I think that's my last food themed masking for the week @missjeanie! I had half a cupcake this week, some ice cream last weekend, and pizza last night (so good!), so maybe the healthy food tie-in is probably my attempt to balance out the other food happenings in my life the last couple of weeks. 😅 Rest assured, there will be a less healthy food tie in at some point. 😉 

That is so me - oh, a hydrating or moisturizing mask, you say? Or both are claimed? Hmmm... Better be good. 😂  And then there's brightening and anti-aging, a single, isolated use is hardly enough to test the accuracy of the claims... Yeah, I can see the double standard there. Oops. 🙄😮😣 But seriously, sheet masks are ordinarily intended to help with hydration so if really needs to meet that minimum standard stat, right?! 

@itsfi I've only been doing groceries every two weeks so my ice cream supply is nil at this point.  However I did have ingredients on hand to make snickerdoodles this morning... I could be eating one right now?  Salad for dinner though lol! 

And yes!  I get a bit of brightening from any sheet mask I find, a bit of a plumping, but I expect any sheet mask to act as a bit of an essence or serum and I unless it says clearing or some other form of acne control on the mask, I expect to leave feeling more hydrated... and if you're claiming hydrating.... I want some juicy skin!  The double standard is real in this house, you are not alone. 

B is for Blueberry 

IMG_20201211_172544270.jpg

Spoiler
Another excellent mask from the brand, this one did have a faint blueberry scent mixed in I could also smell a clean scent. Extra clear serum in the pack, non tacky, which I love! Once again the fit on these is perfect. After removing my skin felt more balanced and looked happier! My skin always feels so hydrated and lightly moisturized after using these! Winner winnerIMG_20201211_172549419.jpg

@lmaster  This looks lovely and is really making me want to try out some goodal masks!

@PrettyPaint I honestly feel like this is a perfect mask

@lmaster  So happy to hear you're loving these! I just bought a bunch of them and I'm super excited to try 'em out! 😃

@Shosh85 they are really really great!! I hope you love the material and fit too

Oh so nice that there was no tackiness with this one @lmaster , I know how much of a bummer it is to so many.  And a nice light blueberry scent sounds just lovely this time of year. 

I don't mind a mask that's tacky only if I knew in advance @missjeanie that way I could use it as a primer mask for makeup

This is the "flavor" from the line that I'm most keen to try @lmaster! Love blueberries! Love Goodal. Making a note that this is a winner for you!

@itsfi I'm really enjoying these, still more to try 😊

testing