Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: Mask of the Week Challenge

@Shosh85 Ignore that lol I found the answer at the top.

@Shosh85 Does kelp have another name, or what is its scientific name? I had seen algae like way at the bottom haha but my eyes keep glazing over trying to look at it all. 

@Samtian  Haha! I find myself glazing over the ingredient lists all the time. Google has been very helpful for me, lol ๐Ÿ˜‚

Yes! But not all kinds @Shosh85 @Samtian As far as I have been able to pinpoint, it is usually kelp that causes my skin much unhappiness. I know that if the mask material is made of kelp or is an actual piece of kelp, it is a big "NO" unless of course, I'm going for that red-splotches-scattered-all-over-my-face look, which isn't a good look on me. ๐Ÿ˜† I think I've used some sheet masks with kelp in it before and it's been okay, but I tend to avoid it as an ingredient. I've actually learned more about seaweed than I ever thought I would, as a result of my reaction to kelp.

@itsfi Nope, red and splotchy is not a good look for me either ๐Ÿ˜ฌ Didn't @eshoe say she had a bad reaction to the ingredient "chondrus crispus," (aka Irish Moss)?" ๐Ÿค”

@Shosh85 it is possible, I have had an adverse reaction to blue spirulina.From my understanding itโ€™s possible to have one variety of kelp cause issues, while others may not๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

@itsfi I would use it again. Here's the ingredients, hopefully they aren't too small to read.

marine.jpg

Thank you @Samtian!  ๐Ÿค— I can read the ingredients. Will do a more careful read soon. Thanks again!! 

@Samtian  I've heard good things about this one! Glad to hear it turned out decent for you! The picture on the packaging always makes me think of popsicles for some reason ๐Ÿ˜‰

Did someone say popsicles? @Shosh85 @Samtian ๐Ÿ˜‹

Hahaha! Shoulda known that would get your attention @itsfi!  ๐Ÿ˜‚

@Shosh85 haha I can see why.

@Samtian  Glad you can see it too ๐Ÿ˜‚

A few C's from last week. C is for coconut, clarifying and colorful (Peach & Lily), creamy (GlamGlow) and ColourPop. Coconut water is great for hydration and coconut oil for moisturizing the skin, making an ingredient that could be ideal for xeric (dry and, ahhh, an X for last week, too! ๐Ÿ˜‰) environments. Another C for cloudy, which is the look the glass of coconut water gives off. 

Coconuts.jpg

Sheet Mask

Spoiler
A huuuuge and heartfelt 'thank you' to the fabulous @ather for gifting me this amazing sheet mask. ๐Ÿค— So kind of you to think of me with all that you have going on. This Soo'AE Skin Recovery Biocellulose Mask is the thinnest biocellulose mask I've ever used. It's wonderfully thin. What's more, it's the only biocellulose mask I've ever used where (1) I can see and feel the essence on the mask and my face and (2) there's extra essence in the packet; well, it's not a lot extra, but it's more than just on the interior sides of the packet. โค๏ธ As far as I could tell, the essence is unscented. At best, I'd describe it a clean, but not in a citrus fruit or cleaning product sort of way; more like clean as in fresh. 

As with most biocellulose masks, adherence for me was great. Since there seemed to be more essence in this mask than in other biocellulose ones, I had a little bit of slippage issues initially with the strip above my upper lip but I was able to get it to stay put quickly. The fit on this one was very good as well; possibly the best fitting in that the only adjustments I needed to make were to cut off about 1/4" from the chin / jawline and to make some slits and folds to the inner corner of the eyes as they hovered dangerously close to and for one eye, over part of, my eye. I ended up keeping this mask on for almost double the 20-minutes recommended. 

It performed marvelously after the AHA/BHA peel to calm any redness I experienced from the peel and to hydrate, plump and moisturize my skin. My skin felt nourished and happy. I'd need to think through how other biocellulose masks I've used before have performed but this Soo'AE mask may very well be my favorite biocellulose mask. A definite repurchase. Thank you again, @ather! I never would have tried this mask if you hadn't introduced me to it! ๐Ÿ’–

Ingredients (from amazon (dot) com)
Water (Aqua/Eau/Agua), Isopentyldiol, Dipropylene Glycol, Glycerin, Methylpropanediol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Juice, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Betaine, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Sodium Hyaluronate, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Isostearate, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Extract, Beta-Glucan, Propolis Extract, Sodium Polyacrylate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glyceryl Polyacrylate, Disodium EDTA

Wash Off / Sleeping / Hair Masks

Spoiler
All these beauties are oldies-but-goodies. 

Peach & Lily Super Reboot Resurfacing Mask is one that has been regularly cycled in and out of my mask library. I typically apply it to all but my cheeks as they are the most sensitive, but about every now and again, I'll apply it all over, but go over my cheeks as the very last step with whatever product remains on my hands; this usually minimizes any slight redness I might experience on my cheeks from the AHA / BHA in this peel. There's a noticeable tingle, but it's not what I would consider super intense. You can feel it but it is does not feel like your skin is burning (always a good thing!). The tingling pretty much disappears after a minute or so; I didn't time it, but will next time; my recollection is that it doesn't last for too long. What I fine remarkable about this resurfacing mask is how soft, smooth, clear and retexturized my skin looks and feel. I know I shouldn't be touching my face, but I can't help it. So soft all over. โค๏ธ

GlamGlow ThirstyMud is a staple in my mask wardrobe. The smell has been described as a tropical vacation in a bottle. It's a lovely vacay in the best of times, but with travel restrictions, it has probably made for my best travel this year. ๐Ÿ˜‰ The sweet coconut scent on this one is heavenly and so relaxing. This can be used as a wash off or overnight mask (or as a daytime moisturizer). My preferred way to use it is as an overnight mask - the scent provides a great way to unwind and the next morning, my skin looks soft and happily hydrated. 

Trader Joe's Shea Butter & Coconut Oil Hair Mask is a beauty. Love that it comes in a tube form. The product feels a little balmy coming out of the tube, but the consistency softens beautifully once mixed with a little water, making for easy application. Frizzies disappear and hair looks healthy and moisturized. If you're looking for soft, smooth, silky hair, this one's worth looking into; and, at $4, it's a steal! 

Lip Care

Spoiler
ColourPop Lippie Scrub (Coco Loco) consists of a nice, light, hydrating base with very subtle scrubby granules scattered throughout that melt away easily with the warmth and friction created from massaging the scrub into the lips with your finger or just simply pressing your lips together. This is a extremely gentle lip exfoliator. I prefer more grit in my lip scrubs (the Sara Happ scrubs in the jars are fabulous in my experience), but I can see this being one suited for those who prefer a more subtle lip scrub. ETA: This makes a great lip scrub in the mornings - the exfoliation is nice and light and because there's an emolliency to the underlying base, it leaves lips soft and lightly moisturized. 

ColourPop Lippie Scrub (Coco Loco) smells lightly of coconuts and feels lovely on my lips; there's zero tack or stickiness to it. My lips feel hydrated and moisturized without feeling heavy or greasy. I could see myself picking up another one of these lip balms; well, after I'm done with this one and after I've made my way through just a few more of the lip balms in my stash. ๐Ÿ˜‰  

@itsfi I love that TJ hair mask too,, and the hair serum @SportyGirly125 was so very kind to gift those to me,,, and they are excellent!!

Yes @lmaster, the mask and hair serum make a great combo. ๐Ÿฅฅ 

@itsfi Your description of the Peach and Lilly makes me think I need it!  I LOVE the scent on that Glam Glow.  It doesn't work for my skin (hives) but dang the scent was so good I didn't want to give it up.  They really should bottle the fragrance.  I have one of these Trader Joes hair masks from my last trip to the US at the beginning of March... I'm not sure why, but I've been saving it lol.  Gonna give it a go after I use up a few open items in my shower. Great reviews. 

I really like the Peach & Lily Reboot mask @missjeanie! It leaves my skin so soft and smooth. With mask wearing, I get more texture issues / clogged pores along my chin and jawline - ugh! I find this helps. The majority of the time, there's a slight to mid-level strength of tingling. Every so often, it'll tingle a lot; not unbearable but just noticeably more than what I might otherwise be accustomed to. There's a set / kit that contains a DS size of it and every once in a while I think Ulta has it as part of a gwp. 

@itsfi  Soooooo I may have been perusing Ulta online and building a basket after I saw your post. I actually quite enjoy a strong Aha/bha mask for the most part. Texture seems to be my issue the last few years so Iโ€™m all for a good peel. I started the tretinoin cream the last month or so so Iโ€™m trying to be more careful with my other exfoliants. But the set with the minis is in my basket! Lol Iโ€™m hopeful I can figure out a way to purchase them. Just gotta finalize the basket with enough $$ to renew my status so I donโ€™t loose points. Dang pandemic really slowed my beauty shopping...lol

@missjeanie, I need to be better with peels. I was good a couple of years ago and then let it slide. With the stay and home and shut downs, I've been more mindful of how helpful it is to have that in my routine - before, I'd just rely on a somewhat regular facials to help with that. Anyhow, it means the peels I do have are being put to good use. As they should be. ๐Ÿ˜

Oh yes, my beauty shopping has definitely changed; well, all my shopping, really. If my wallet had brows, it would furrow them now in disagreement. Ha! It sometimes doesn't feel like it, but I *think* I actually spent less even in the beauty category this year. Now, I may not do the actual calculations to know for certain. LOL! I've heard good things about Tretinoin and friends who have used it have had good results. Definitely need to be careful with the exfoliants - always, but especially if you are using something like Tretinoin. 

@itsfi I know I've spent just as much at Sephora (it's just so easy and with free shipping....) but my in person shopping has been next to nil for everything, so Ulta, Mac, Nordstrom's, Shoppers Drug Mart, Winners/TJ Maxx, have all dropped right down.  I initially thought I'd be going through so much more of my stash but it turns out I was just wearing lot less as well.  I say no need to actually calculate how much was spent... no one needs to know this and it can't end well is my philosophy.  I'm going to keep up with my "less in than out" mantra for 2021 and continue to try and be more selective in my shopping.  

At home peels have always been fun for me.  I've got dry skin (though lately its drier than ever) but it's generally pretty tough and can take the heavy exfoliation.  I actually quite miss doing them lately.  Off to shop for more hydrating and moisturizing face and lip balms instead lol

1 Reply
testing