Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: Mask of the Week Challenge

@Shosh85  The eye patch was really heavy and slippery, so I think you would have to lie flat on your back for them to work.

C is for Carrageenan (aka red seaweed aka Irish Moss), Centella Asiatica and Cleopatra's fountain of youth? ๐Ÿค”
TonyMoly Synake.jpg
Okay, so here's the thing . . . while ingredients like snail mucin, donkey milk, and horse oil don't make me flinch, the thought of putting snake venom on my skin makes me a little apprehensive. I read that Cleopatra used snake venom to keep her skin wrinkle free and maintain her youth. Well, good for her. I, on the other hand, think snake venom might just be too much for this scaredy cat. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ Fortunately, syn-ake, the touted star ingredient in this mask, is not real snake venom. Phew.  Rather, it's a synthetic peptide that mimics real snake venom, and claims to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, smooth out fine lines, improve the skin's elasticity, and lift and firm the skin. It's been said to be an alternative to Botox. What's more, this mask also claims to moisturize and brighten. Wow, this sounds like the "kitchen sink" of sheet masks. Seems like a tall order to me, especially the anti-aging claims, but I was willing to give it a try. 
Spoiler
TonyMoly Intense Care Syn-Ake Hydro-gel Mask is a 2-piece hydrogel mask that is a near perfect fit for my face size, shape and features. Woohoo! ๐Ÿ‘ As far as I'm concerned, the only area for improvement lies in the amount of material for the forehead; it's about 1/2" too short for me. Hydrogel masks can be a bit tricky as some are very slick and slippery. Not so with this TonyMoly mask. It felt cooling on my skin immediately upon contact, adhered beautifully, wore comfortably, and stayed in place the entire time I had it one, which was about an half hour. 

After removing the mask and pressing in the little essence that remained to help with absorption, my skin felt nicely hydrated. The mask is said to make skin radiant. I don't know if I would say my skin looked radiant, but it did look refreshed and slightly brightened, both of which I've come to expect from a sheet mask. As for its anti-aging claims, I generally am of the opinion that it takes more than a single, isolated use of an "anti-aging" sheet mask to see results, if any. That said, I was very surprised to find that the area under and around my eyes felt more firm, which is not a result I typically experience with sheet masks. It's enough to make me interested in picking up another one (or two or three or more) of this mask and putting it to the test with some daily masking. I'll have to check to see if I have a backup of this mask; if not, onto my list it goes. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Ingredients (from yesstyle (dot) com)
Spoiler
Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Mineral Oil, Paeonia Suffruticosa (Moutan) Root Extract, Ceratonia Siliqua (Carob) Gum, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Cellulose Gum, Polyacrylate-13, Sodium Polyacrylate, Polyisobutene, Polysorbate 20, Euphorbia Supina Stem Extract, Imperata Cylindrica Root Extract, Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola) Extract, Sorbaria Sorbifolia Bark/Leaf Extract, Lecithin, Polysorbate 80, Dipeptide Diaminobutyroyl Benzylamide Diacetate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance

I'm totally down to test out some snake venom if it makes me Queen of the nile @itsfi , or even Queen of my day lol.  I feel like I've seen a snake venom mask from Rodial maybe?  Now I'm curious about the ingredient, so I'll keep an eye out.  I'm totally cool with it so long as I don't need to actually see the snake donate the venom.  They're the one animal I'm so not cool with.  The descriptor on the package had me singing a little Cher... it went over marvellously with my brother who's staying here for work tomorrow.  He thanks you for inspiring my singing tonight. 

@missjeanie, you ARE a queen! And once a queen, always a queen! ๐Ÿค— 

To missjeanie's brother: You're welcome. ๐Ÿ˜‡ 

How great would it be if your brother started singing Cher at work, having been inspired by you?! Ooooh... 

From the sounds of it, @itsfi, a bottled serum of this would be ideal for putting its claims to the test๐Ÿค”

@eshoe, a serum would be lovely. I don't know if there's one in this line, but Secret Key has a syn-ake skincare line that includes a serum, eye cream and face cream. In non-Kbeauty brands, I think Rodial makes a syn-ake oil and a syn-ake serum.

Yes, I think I have seen the Rodial, @itsfi. Thank you for the tip on Secret Key - something to try in the New Year, I think! 

@itsfi  Yup, I think I'd be a bit terrified of real snake venom. The eye area firmness sounds really nice...especially if it could potentially help with puffiness. 

So true about the puffiness @PrettyPaint! ๐Ÿ‘ I think I'm going to set one of these aside to use in the springtime when my allergies act up, or maybe just for another time when my face is extra puffy. That'll be a good test.

@itsfi  This is not an ingredient I've had the pleasure of trying yet, but have wanted to! Have you seen real snake venom masks? It'd be fun to compare a syn-ake mask with a real snake venom mask and see how much they differ. Just curious, what did this one smell like?

@Shosh85, I haven't come across a sheet mask with real snake venom ๐Ÿ, though to be fair, I haven't really sought one out either. I'm not even sure whether that would fly; I just assume that it would be synthetic, but I don't know for a fact. I made a note to ask one of the Asian beauty store owners about it the next time I go in, though that may not be for some time. As far as smell, I didn't pick up any scent. I don't even know if I'd say it had a signature sheet mask scent; or if it did, it was super faint because I didn't detect a fragrance from the mask. 

@itsfi I love the idea of an ingredient that mimics the snake venom,,, fountain of youth, you say??? โ˜บ๏ธ

@lmaster, I don't know about it turning back the clock, but I did notice that eye area felt more firm. ๐Ÿ˜ Happy that it's a synthetic peptide and not real snake venom. I don't think I'm brave enough to try that.

C is for Clay

F4A94717-13B9-4207-92A3-FBB37AFC0068.jpeg

Spoiler

Sky Organics Indian Healing Bentonite Clay Mask

This is a thick and creamy, earthy green clay mask. It smelled like menthol with a hint of aloe, but it was pretty light. It had a refreshing cooling feel the entire time I had it on. I left it on for about 25 minutes. It dried down soft and flexible, but was also cracking all over. It came off easy with water and a washcloth. My face felt refreshed/more awake, looked a bit brighter and was very soft and smooth. My skin felt just a touch dry, but really just a touch - which is great, considering most clay/mud masks really dry me out.

This mask came from Walmart and because of that, I'd repurchase. I just wouldn't go out of my way to buy again. I think it would be a nice one in the morning as well, to help wake up your skin.

IMG_5273.JPG

@Shosh85 I love clay masks. I have to check this one out. 

@tjffc  Me too. The combo of ingredients in this one is really nice. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Itโ€™s nice to see a mask include the main ingredient second on the list, @Shosh85! The scent sounds nice, I donโ€™t mind menthol. Will have to remember this for the next time I am in a Walmart;)

Pretty certain @WinglessOne has expressed her appreciation for bentonite clay, tagging her just in case she hasnโ€™t seen this one yet.

@eshoe  I wasn't expecting to like this one as much I did! The menthol in it was nice. I'm not usually a fan of menthol because the scent can be too overpowering- but this was nice and I loved the cooling effect. ๐Ÿ˜Š

@Shosh85  That's a lot of clay in that mask! And somehow I didn't even think to use a clay mask for C week...whoops. 

@PrettyPaint  When I saw the 3 different kinds I thought for sure it'd dry me out! I think it had enough moisturizing/hydrating ingredients in it that everything was balanced out nicely. ๐Ÿ˜Š

@Shosh85 ohhh it has aloe in this mask too!! Sounds really nice

11 Replies
testing