Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: Mask of the Week Challenge

I kid you not, @Shosh85! I bought some of the Hello Kitty ones too, Iโ€™m guessing they work exactly the same but I couldnโ€™t pass up the opportunity to test them out.

Yes, she handled it well. Like pulling off a bandaid, I was impressed. Youโ€™re right, I am scared when it comes time to remove !

@eshoe ohhhh a rival??? Good to know!! Super cute designs too

Yes, @lmaster - the mini tried one, too. It actually pulled out hairs, and her eyes tears up๐Ÿ˜ณ So cute, love them. 

@eshoe, The Creme Shop collabs with the Hello Kitty and Friends have included a lot of good masks. Nice to hear these worked well for you. As to be expected, the illustrations are super cute.

Tagging @WinglessOne, if I'm remembering correctly, you're a fan of Little Twin Stars, yes?

Yes they are some of my favorite Crรจme Shop masks, @itsfi! The nose strip even hurt a little more than Biorรฉ, which was fair warning it was going to do its job:)

@eshoe Better than Biore you say??? 4 more boxes you say!!!

The strip did not look promising @missjeanie. It was cute and the side that adheres to the skin seemed a little slick. But when I removed, it was nothing like the Biorรฉ. I see great results with those, always. But this was so incredibly gross that I wanted to take a photo, but could not bring myself to do it. Iโ€™ve never ordered direct from them, there was a $50 min for FS (otherwise just under &10 shipping) so I went ahead and ordered a few other things. My daughter tried one after seeing my results and it pulled off all of her peach fuzz. She had tears, and her nose was red afterwards. 

I'd tell you 99% of the time that having a red nose where your pore strip waxed off your peach fuzz is a bad thing... but in this case.. heck yes @eshoe !

I dermaplane my nose, @missjeanie, so I donโ€™t usually see that kind of surprise on my strips๐Ÿ˜‚

C is for Coconut and Clay

Coconut + rose water.jpg

I'm taking a page from @missjeanie's two-a-day program this month and trying to get in a masking session in the mornings and evenings. This time of year is typically when my skin really starts feeling the effects of it being cooler outside and the heat running indoors. I'm hopeful that it should be a little better this year as I don't have a HVAC vent right above my desk while working from home but the various elements of autumn and winter sure can take a toll. Among other adjustments to my skincare routine, I've found that incorporating sheet masks on a daily or near daily basis helps with keep my skin hydrated, which goes a long way with keeping my skin happy. In the past, I've masked twice a day for a few days and that has seemed to help so I'm going to try giving that a go for the entire month. Yes, there's a part of me that wonders if I know what I'm getting myself into. ๐Ÿ˜‚ It'll be a mix of oldies-but-goodies as well as newbie masks, but, for the most part, I'll just post occasionally about the new-to-me masks.

I went with a coconut and rose water theme, inspired by the key ingredients in the sheet mask, which I was introduced to by our BIC beauty @lmaster! Thank you for letting us know about these Hello Ganic One A Day Masks.

Hair Mask:  
Spoiler
tgin Rose Water Hydrating Hair Mask with Rose Water + Acai Berry smells so good - it's a pleasant blend of rose and berry. The consistency of the mask is not too thin or thick. It applies easily, works well as a detangler, and a little goes a long way. It also rinses out well, and I could feel the soft silkiness it left my hair as I washed it out. This is another one I have to thank @lmaster for - this is enabling at its best! Thank you, lovely! I'm so happy I picked this one up. 

Ingredients (from tginstore (dot) 3dcartstores (dot) com)
Water, rosa centifolia (rose) flower extract, euterpe oleracea (acai) fruit extract, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, ginger root (ginger) extract, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) flower extract, calendula officinalis flower extract, sclerocarya birrea (marula) seed oil, aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, fragrance,  cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone
Wash Off Clay Mask:  
Spoiler
Farmskin coconut clay.jpg
I've been happy with the Farm Skin sheet masks that I've used so when I saw that Farm Skin made these mix-it-yourself interactive clay masks, I decided to pick up a few, even though I'm generally not a huge fan of these types of masks. I will say that the packaging is more appealing than the Dr. Jart masks with the creepy baby face at the top. ๐Ÿ˜ณ Farm Skin Superfood for Skin Mix It! Clay Mask Coconut (Moisturizing + Firming) comes with 4 pieces - (1) an ampoule consisting of five different forms of hyaluronic acid that is mixed with (2) a kaolin clay powder which in this case includes lavender, rice, pearl and coconut powders as well as more hyaluronic acid (e.g., sodium hyaluronate), and (3) an oversized spatula, all of which is housed and can be mixed in (4) this cup. This mixes together easily, quickly and smoothly; the consistency is neither too runny nor too pasty. It feels cool when applied to the skin and remains that way for pretty much the entire wear time. I had some difficulty getting an even application - one the one hand, the larger spatula helps with covering a lot of surface area but its size also creates challenges to get an even thin distribution of the product all over the face. I have other varietals of these masks and the next time I use one, I plan to try using a mask brush to apply the clay mask. The mask does dry and harden a bit, but it doesn't make my skin tight. Interestingly, as it dried, I noticed (and perhaps it's just with me) that some of the pieces of the mask would randomly fall off in flakes, and for that reason, there will be some limitations on what you can do with this mask on, if you don't want pieces of it falling off your face haphazardly. That said, results with this clay mask are quite good. My skin looked refreshed and awake, if that makes sense, and my pores looked clearer.  

Ingredients (from farmskin (dot) us)
Inci List: Step 1 - 5-fold hyaluronic acid ampouleInci List: Step 1 - 5-fold hyaluronic acid ampouleInci List: Step 2 - coconut powderInci List: Step 2 - coconut powder
Sheet Mask:
Spoiler
With coconut and rose water as key ingredients, it was looking like the Hello Ganic One A Day Water Mask (Hydrating) would be a win for my dehydrated and dry skin. It did not disappoint. I like the soft, thin feel of this eucalyptus sheet mask; it adheres beautifully to my skin and its contours. Although its lightweight, the mask manages to hold a lot of the watery essence without dripping. I had the mask on for a good half hour and felt like I could have kept it on for at least another 10 or 15 without it drying out. Fit can be tailored to suit my face size, shape and features with a few adjustments here and there (eyes, mouth, chin and jawline). The scent on this mask is beautiful. I really wish I could pinpoint the exact notes; at best, I'd say it's a fresh clean scent with a fruity, floral and almost herbal (though not medicinal) bent to it. The scent is noticeable, but in a good way, and there's an airiness to it that I like. Whatever the blend is, it'd make a lovely room spray or diffuser, or a light lotion. It's a solid hydrating mask, too, as far as performance goes - my skin feels soft, plump and hydrated.

Ingredients (from huangjisoo (dot) com) 
AQUA(WATER), GLYCERETH-26, COCOS NUCIFERA (COCONUT) FRUIT EXTRACT, ALOE BARBADENSIS (ALOE VERA) LEAF EXTRACT, ROSA CENTIFOLIA (CABBAGE ROSE) FLOWER WATER, TREMELLA FUCIFORMIS (MUSHROOM) EXTRACT, CUCUMIS SATIVUS (CUCUMBER) FRUIT EXTRACT, 1,2-HEXANEDIOL, LAMINARIA JAPONICA EXTRACT, CETEARYL GLUCOSIDE, ARTEMISIA VULGARIS EXTRACT, PROPANEDIOL, PUNICA GRANATUM (POMEGRANATE) EXTRACT, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, POLYGONUM MULTIFLORUM (HE SHOU WU) ROOT EXTRACT, ANGELICA GIGAS ROOT EXTRACT, MORUS ALBA (WHITE MULBERRY) LEAF EXTRACT, RUBUS COREANUS FRUIT EXTRACT, YEAST EXTRACT, TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) SEED EXTRACT, EQUISETUM, GIGANTEUM EXTRACT, BETA-GLUCAN, LYCIUM CHINENSE FRUIT EXTRACT, PANAX GINSENG ROOT EXTRACT, ANTHEMIS NOBILIS (CHAMOMILE) FLOWER EXTRACT, CIMICIFUGA DAHURICA ROOT EXTRACT, PULSATILLA KOREANA EXTRACT, PARFUM

@itsfi I will definitely try the hair mask from this brand.   I've heard great things about several of their products.  Great review!

Thank you @tjffc! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ This hair mask is such a nice one. I think Iโ€™ll pick up the shampoo and conditioner in the line next. Thereโ€™s also a honey mask from the brand that looks good. So many options! Would love to know what you think of the mask if you pick it up. They offer travel sizes but I didnโ€™t see one for this particular mask. 

@itsfi  The sheet mask sounds wonderful! I feel like I need to start trying these out because I've only heard good things! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, that's what lead me to pick them up! Good reviews here and well, I found a set on sale on amazon and had some points/gc to apply towards them. Hahaha! ๐Ÿ˜‚ I have 2 more left - adlay + black beans and lime + peach. @lmaster mentioned that one of the masks in this line had a stronger scent; I haven't run across that one yet so I'm wondering which of these two it will be. ๐Ÿค” 

I'm so happy to hear you love the hair mask!! @itsfi ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’œ

Such a good one @lmaster! With all my hair masks, I think I'm set for a while, a looooong while. ๐Ÿ˜‚ But I'll still repurchase this one once I get through it. 

Lol.... well if you're gonna do two-a-days I really can't back down now @itsfi .  I found that when I was trying to do two sheet masks a day I ended up failing a bit, then I felt bad that I'd failed... so I adjusted for December and am committing to two masks, be it body, eye, wash off or sheet.  I'm doing MUCH better at this system! lol.

Okay... the farmskin.... I totally thought this an oatmeal cup!!  I'm going to be curious how the others turn out for you.  I'm wondering if the flaking will be a running issue.  And yes, they look waaaay better than the creepy Dr. Jart.... which you've just pushed me to use tomorrow; I thank you for the shove.  

@missjeanie  Haha! When I saw the clay mask I thought it was ice cream! ๐Ÿ˜‚ @itsfi 

Oooh, ice cream!!! Even though it's very chilly outside today, I like the sound of that! @Shosh85 @missjeanie 

Hmmm... which one shall I have for breakfast?Hmmm... which one shall I have for breakfast?

@itsfi  I'm with @Shosh85 ... both!

I wonder if I have any ice cream..... 

If you and @Shosh85 are on Team coffee + ice cream, it seems to me that's the way to go @missjeanie๐Ÿ˜‰ One way to find out if you have ice cream, missjeanie...

And, if you don't, there's a way to fix that. ๐Ÿคฃ

testing