Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: Mask of the Week Challenge

W for White Willow in the Isntree Asian White Willow mask

PXL_20201201_170906901.jpg

I liked this one a lot. The mask itself was a bit large on the sides as far as fit so it meant a few more wrinkles than usual, but it's a cupra mask so it was sooooo soft and comfortable against the skin. It did have a noticeable typical sheet mask scent, but it seemed to fade fairly quickly, and wasn't offensive in any way. I had it on for a while since it was comfy and didn't have issues drying out. There was a little bit of tack once I had removed the mask and patted in the serum, but that didn't seem to last long. The mask did take away some redness in my cheeks and left my skin looking nice and bright. This will go on my repurchase list! 

@quspork  Oooh, this one sounds wonderful! I haven't tried too many masks from this brand, but I do remember liking the ones I have tried! Will definitely have to look for this one! Happy you enjoyed it ๐Ÿ˜Š

Yes, they seem to have quite a few nice masks, @Shosh85. I'm interested in trying some more of their other skincare too- so many nice looking products. 

@quspork this one sounds excellent!! I love the sounds of soft! 

It's always nice when a mask just feels good against your skin, @lmaster

Helped with a bit of redness, @quspork? That sounds like one that should be in hand in case of mask emergencies!

Depending on what causes the redness, yes, @eshoe I'm very fair and prone to flushes so this was a nice bonus with this one. 

Ooh like the taking redness away part. Must be why this is in an ingredient in so many products! Sounds like great mask and totally wanna pick it up @quspork 

I've definitely enjoyed most of the masks I've tried from this brand so far, @Weetart so I'm glad this was no exception. 

Cupra sheet masks are comfy @quspork! โ™ฅ๏ธ I picked up a few masks from this brand, including this one. Even more excited to give this one a try after reading your review. The results sound fantastic! 

I hope it works out nicely for you, @itsfi!

No redness and bright skin sounds like a winning combo @quspork !

Absolutely, @missjeanie - hard to go wrong with those results. 

V is for V-shaped mask

V - Regen cos.jpg

Spoiler
Regen Cos 2-Step Synergy Effect Mask (Brightening) is a 2-piece mask, but unlike the typical 2-piece sheet mask, the bottom half is not made of the same material as the top half and has ear loops. 

Top Portion of Mask
The top half resembles your standard, run-of-the-mill medium-thick cotton sheet mask, soaked and dripping in a clear, watery essence with an ever-so-slightly minty herbal scent, except that, instead of covering the entire face, the top half of the mask only covers the area from the forehead all the way to the top of the mouth, so to call it a "top half" of the mask may not be entirely correct, maybe the top part is more accurate. I ended up pressing some of the extra essence out of the mask because there was just so much, more than the mask could absorb as it was dripping everywhere. Adherence is good and fit works well with some minor adjustments to the corners of the eyes. Directions recommend wearing the mask for 20 minutes, but since there didn't seem to be anything alarming in the inci list and since I didn't experience any tingling from the mask, I ended up leaving the mask on for about 35 - 40 minutes and there were no signs of this mask drying out anytime soon even after that time. The masks claims to brighten skin tone and notable ingredients such as niacinamide and arbutin seem to support that claim. Also FYI for those interested, added fragrance is listed in the middle of the ingredients list and alcohol near the end. After removing the mask and giving the essence some time to fully absorb, there was a slight tacky-to-the-touch feel and some brightening, though not as much as I expected; this combination, though makes me think this top part might work well as a pre-makeup mask.

Bottom Portion of Mask
The bottom portion of the mask is two sided, with one side (the side to be applied to your skin) has a soft gel-ish feel to it, while the other side feels more like a backing to support the gel side. This side which faces outward is a soft, thick-ish, possibly cotton fabric that is stretchy and as I noted earlier has ear loops. This bottom portion of the mask is intended to provide some lifting, to presumably help shape or sculpt the jawline. Hmmm.... I'm always a little skeptical about such claims, but I'm game for giving it a shot. The bottom portion of these types of masks usually don't adhere / fit well for me and end up slipping off one of my ears. Not so with this mask. It wore comfortably the entire time I had it on. After removing this portion of the mask, I didn't really notice any tightening or sculpting of my jawline so much as I noticed that I was less puffy in certain areas. That's a welcome result and, as with the results from top part of the mask, it makes me think this bottom part would also be good to use in the mornings, as part of a pre-makeup masking sesh.

Overall Thoughts
Overall, the mask provides some brightening, though not as much as I expected / hoped. My favorite brightening mask, especially in the cooler months because of its milky essence is the Dr. Jart V7 Toning Mask. That said, I'd be interested in trying out another mask from this line. I heard that there's one containing snail mucin and I may need to search for that one at some point. As for this particular brightening one, I could see this being useful to take with you on a trip, for use after a flight. 

Ingredients (of top portion of the mask) (from cosdna (dot) com)
Spoiler
Water, glycerin, butylene glycol, niacinamide, betaine, panthenol , phenoxyethanol , PEG-60 hydrogenated castor oil, hydroxyethyl acrylate/sodium acryloyldimethyl taurate copolymer, ethylhexylglycerin, xanthan gum, sodium polyacrylate, arbutin, fragrance, disodium EDTA, arnica montana flower extract, artemisia absinthium extract, achillea millefolium extract, gentiana lutea root extract, malva sylvestris (mallow) extract, mentha piperita (peppermint) leaf extract, primula veris extract, alchemilla vulgaris extract, veronica officinalis extract, melissa officinalis leaf extract, portulaca oleracea extract, anthemis nobilis flower extract, acer saccharum (sugar maple) extract, alcohol, potassium sorbate, allantoin, dipotassium glycyrrhizate

@itsfi  That sounds like quite a mask! I have never tried a mask with ear loops. The idea of it just seems kind of uncomfortable, especially if you have any cartilage piercings. 

@PrettyPaint, it's interesting, for sure. I don't have many of these V-shaped masks with the ear loops, but in my experience, they are always hit or miss for me in terms of how well they stay in place. I can see it being an issue to with cartilage piercings. @heartsmyface mentioned in another post that a V-shaped chin and jawline is ideal in Korea. That seems to be one of the aims of the lower part of the mask, to shape, sculpt, lift (albeit temporarily), the jawline. I did some research and it looks like the company that makes these masks is affiliated with a well known medical group in Korea regarded for its plastic surgery. That makes sense. 

@itsfi  Oh wow, that's definitely interesting that the mask brand is affiliated with a medical group. The idea of V-line surgery has always seemed a bit scary to me. It seems like it would be pretty irreversible. 

@itsfi  I have yet to try a v-shaped mask, but they always sound intriguing- especially this one! Glad it worked out well for you! I would definitely be interested to know how the snail one compares! ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, I shall keep you posted on the snail version, once I figure out where this mask came from. ๐Ÿ˜‚ These are the predicaments I find myself in. ๐Ÿคฃ Hopefully that won't happen too often with my mask stash being more manageable in size now. I think I may have picked this up at one of the Asian beauty boutiques near me. Hmm... ๐Ÿ˜‰

How cool! @itsfi the second piece is a different material,, wow and ear flaps!!

@lmaster, it helps a lot that the lower half isn't like the typical sheet mask essence; my jawline can be prone to clogged pores so I try to steer sheet masks clear of that area. The ear loops were gentle on this one; ๐Ÿ˜€some hurt ๐Ÿ˜ฃ, though as I think about it, it probably should give some tension / pull, since it's meant to lift or create a more shapely jawline.

testing