Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: Mask of the Week Challenge

They are! @Weetart. @Lmaster happy i found them 

@sonnydee  Oh, yay! I'm so happy this was a good one. Where did you purchase it from?

EBay is where I bought these from (US seller). I have found some international sellers that carry them. @PrettyPaint 

Thanks! @sonnydee. Maybe that's why I haven't seen them. I will definitely do some investigating.

I found them by accident really @PrettyPaint I went looking for the grapefruit apieu....

@sonnydee this sounds really good!! Happy to see it was a winner!! Very cool mask

A couple catch up posts from this week.... guys... Iโ€™m falling off my two a days.  I need to really start upping my masking game in December lol. 

99E797A2-EE71-479E-B5B0-CC66F9149251.jpeg

โ€ƒ

83745536-78BC-4987-8EDF-8AB0ACC5614B.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Spoiler
The Neogen was a much needed mask this week. I woke up with flaky skin (Iโ€™m on a tretinoin journey and my impatience shows up in flakes). I put the mask on and right away my face felt soothed. The milky serum wasnโ€™t oily but it did feel silky on my hand while applying. I didnโ€™t note the scent which to me means that it wasnโ€™t amazing, nor was it offensive. I had the mask on for about 30 minutes when I just had to take it off to eat. Food first right? Well I took the mask off carefully and did some snacking I folded the mask and used it as a sort of wipe around my chin area (the worst of the flakes were here). I usually toss masks right away but it felt so nice to keep massaging this on my skin and there was still plenty of serum left on the mask. Afterwards my skin did feel super tacky. This is probably the most tack Iโ€™ve ever noticed on a mask, but I topped off with a moisturizer and it was gone. Iโ€™m super happy to have more of these because I know myself... Iโ€™m going to go hard again with prescription and need them. 

The Victoria secret coco calm mask was an amazing fit. I frankly didnโ€™t have super high hopes for a mask from a lingerie company, but the fit was so perfect. The serum on the mask was okay, no coconut scent like Iโ€™d hoped, which I know... I should appreciate no fragrance, but I enjoy tropical beach scents. I was a bit nervous since coconut oil had made me break out in the past but Iโ€™m starting to think I might be okay with a wee bit of coconut extract. Not a theory I want to delve heavily into, there are enough other great ingredients for moisture that I donโ€™t need to worry about this one not being for me.  Would I re purchase? No, it wasnโ€™t a knock out, and Iโ€™ll avoid coconut if I notice it, so itโ€™s not for me, but I certainly wasnโ€™t mad at the mask and will try more from the brand if I find myself in a store and theyโ€™re there.

That Neogen milk cream mask checks off so many boxes @missjeanie! ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ

I feel like Iโ€™m going to enjoy them all winter @itsfi ! 

@missjeanie  I liked that Neogen mask too! Milky masks sure are great soothers! Glad you enjoyed it! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Sorry the VS mask was unimpressive - I'm pretty sure I've felt that way about all the VS masks I've tried. I'm happy this one turned out decent for you. ๐Ÿ˜Š

The milky really was perfect for what I needed @Shosh85 .  I feel like my general consensus on VS masks are that they're okay and all... but nothing amazing, the fit did standout as excellent... but otherwise...meh. 

@missjeanie  I've tried that neogen before, and I think I remember really liking it too. A nice winter mask!

Exactly @PrettyPaint , its great for winter.  I could see it being too much for a lot of people in the warmer months. 

@missjeanie ohhhhh the milk mask sounds fabulous!!

@lmaster it was exactly what my skin needed!

I did a tomato themed masking sesh earlier this week, with an E for eucalyptus sheet mask and educational and a V for vegetable and vitamin - tomatoes are a good source of vitamins A, C, B2, and B9 (folate)

Tomato.jpg

Question of the Day: Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?

Spoiler
The 411: HelloGanic 1aday Vegetable Mask (Firming) is a lightweight, thin-leaning eucalyptus fiber sheet mask saturated in a clear, thin, watery essence bearing a very noticeable fragrance that reminded me of perfumed candy, which I know sounds weird but that's what my nose picked up.

What I Liked: Pretty much everything. The ingredients list is excellent. The key ingredients, tomato and artemesia (aka mugwort) are the third and fourth ingredients listed. It also contains a slew of other good for your skin ingredients, including extracts of tremella mushroom, ginseng, skullcap and licorice root, just to name a few. The mask adheres beautifully and fit was pretty much perfection. It's about 1/8" too long at the chin/jawline for my face shape but that little extra is perfect to cover the "shortage" at the top of the mask so that it can fully cover my forehead. Holes for the eyes and mouth are wide enough so that they do not feel smooshed nor do I have any anxiety about the essence accidently dripping into them.

Area(s) for Improvement:  Very few and not dealbreakers at that. I'm not certain about the firming claims, but then again, I hardly expect to notice any such results after just one use. I could see myself putting this mask to the test for several days to see if the firming claims hold true - I figure even if they don't the mask perfoms so well that my skin would be nicely hydrated and brightened with several uses of this mask. Another area for improvement, if I were being super nitpicky, would include removing the added fragrance - well, if taking it out doesn't make the mask smell stinky, that is! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Would I Repurchase?: Absolutely. This truly is a fantastic mask. I can see this one being a staple in my mask library.

Ingredients
Spoiler
AQUA(WATER), GLYCERETH-26, SOLANUM LYCOPERSICUM (TOMATO) FRUIT EXTRACT, ARTEMISIA VULGARIS EXTRACT, TREMELLA FUCIFORMIS (MUSHROOM) EXTRACT,1,2-HEXANEDIOL, BRASSICA OLERACEA ITALICA (BROCCOLI) EXTRACT, HIZIKIA FUSIFORME EXTRACT, GLYCYRRHIZA GLABRA (LICORICE) ROOT EXTRACT, XANTHAN GUM, ALGAE EXTRACT, CETEARYL GLUCOSIDE, EQUISETUM GIGANTEUM EXTRACT, GLYCERYL ACRYLATE PANAX GINSENG ROOT EXTRACT, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, SPIRULINA PLATENSIS EXTRACT, DIOSCOREA VILLOSA (WILD YAM) ROOT EXTRACT, ADENOSINE, YEAST EXTRACT, ACRYLIC ACID COPOLYMER, BETA-GLUCAN, SCUTELLARIA BAICALENSIS (BAIKAL SKULLCAP) ROOT EXTRACT, PUNICA GRANATUM (POMEGRANATE) EXTRACT, AKEBIA QUINATA EXTRACT, LYCIUM BARBARUM FRUIT EXTRACT, SODIUM POLYSTYRENE SULFONATE, VITIS VINIFERA (GRAPE) SEED EXTRACT, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, PARFUM
Back to the question of the day. This sheet mask says that a tomato is a vegetable and my knee-jerk reaction agree. However, at some point, I learned that in general, fruits have seeds and tomatoes have seeds, so does that make it fruit and not a vegetable? After some research (that's where the E for educational comes in ๐Ÿ˜‰), I learned that tomatoes are a fruit botanically speaking but are also deemed a vegetable from the culinary perspective, so it seems then that tomatoes are both a fruit and a vegetable. ๐Ÿ…  

@itsfi  This one sounds nice! I have yet to try a mask from this line, but they always seem to get great reviews! Have you tried any others?

@Shosh85, I have the other masks from this line but havenโ€™t tried them yet. Thereโ€™s a brightening on (peach and lime), a hydrating one (coconut and rose water) and one based on grains for pores (adlay and black beans). Please donโ€™t hesitate to let me know if youโ€™re interested in one of these. Iโ€™ll test it out before the others and tag you on the post. Iโ€™m far enough into my masks that I donโ€™t have any major issues with any of them expiring anytime soon, and I donโ€™t have any schedule for using up the masks I have. 

@itsfi I remember liking a couple of these! I think only one was too heavily scented for me,, but I'd still use it

@lmaster, youโ€™re the one who set me on these masks. Thank you. I thought there was one that was more heavily scented than the others. Iโ€™ll keep that in mind. 

@itsfi  Love those ingredients. I'll definitely need to seek this one out. And I love your little educational segment. Tomato classification is a frequent topic of debate with my kids...haha. Apparently the US Supreme Court ruled it to be a vegetable long ago (some tax type of thing). And the USDA sticks it in the veggie group as well. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

1 Reply
testing