Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: Mask of the Week Challenge

I haven't tried it @eshoe. I'm thinking I'll focus on Laneige and when I hopefully finish it is 2021 (or at least the full size) then I'll start looking for a different lip mask. Definitely something I will want to sample first if possible.

@ShortEricaone of my goals was to finish a FS Laneige this year, but thatโ€™s not happening๐Ÿ™„ Maybe next year!

Both the Bite and Laneige last so long, you are wise to wait.

I felt so successful finishing a mini Laneige @eshoe. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with the full but still have a long way to go plus two unopened minis I want to try because of the different flavors. ๐Ÿคž 2021 will be our year to complete the full size!

Hear hear @ShortErica!

2F2739B0-6E00-4866-B33C-2B49DEBF2C32.gif

โ€ƒ

@eshoe That is cute. I had to laugh because yesterday I was clearing up my Amazon Beauty Wishlist and there near the bottom in 2015 I had added that mask to the list. I was taken aback. I hadn't realized they'd been out that long!

Did you ever get one @Samtian ?

@eshoe Yeah lol. I have had a few small samples that aren't berry, but I actually bought the pack that had the Berry and the lemon and mint last month lol. Only took 5 years haha.

@eshoe that is too cute!

@ShortErica  Oh dang! Such a bummer! I really love them too, but there have been so many stories like this that I really just tempted to toss what I have! @missjeanie made a good point about concentration! I wonder if your MD/derm can test you for the allergy? 

That's a good point. I'll save it in my notes for my next derm appointment @Shosh85 thanks!

@ShortErica  In my completely unprofessional opinion... allergy to lanolin. It could be that thereโ€™s a higher concentration in the lip mask as opposed to other products that still contain the lanolin. The lower concentration products may just not be showing their anger but still doing damage. Please.... remember my pre-med came from the college of Dougie Houser with my post grad from Greys Anatomy with an emphasis on google. 
my vote is to toss (even though my lips who love the old formula are sad to see it go). Their new masks are all vegan so maybe take a shot at the mini kit on sale now that are lanolin free? Hope your lips feel better! 

Great point about the concentration @missjeanie! I'm sad to see it go too cause I really did love it when I first used it. I appreciate all your medical credentials and trust your expert opinion. ๐Ÿ˜‚ But seriously, that was something I didn't consider.

I use the old product when it was first released in January 2014 @ShortErica . I had no problem with the first tube that I purchased. I purchased my second tube sometime during the summer of 2014. That was when my problems began. I remember attending a Yankees game with the corners of my mouth severely cracked and my lips were extremely dry. I even went to the dermatologist and I received two different prescriptions for steroidal creams. I was still using the Bite Lip Mask while using the steroidal cream. Obviously the cream did not help. After I started testing my lip products I came upon the culprit which was the Bite Lip Mask. I was still able to use other Bite products with no bad effects at the time. About 18 months later the other Bite Beauty products started to irritate me. I totally gave up using any Bite Beauty products. 
Now for substitutions that I have found just as effective. The first product will be difficult to locate but I highly recommend it. Unfortunately it is difficult to find in the states but it is Nuxe reve de miel. I purchased this from Look Fantastic. The other two products are much easier to locate and can be purchased from Sephora. Too Faced Lip Injection Extreme Hydrating Lip Plumper Original Clear Grande Cosmetics GrandeLIPS Plumping Lip Primer . I am not sure if I tagged the correct Grande Cosmetic product but it is the Hydrating Lip Plumper Gloss. I have been pleased with both of these products. Also Carmex lip balm is the cheapest of the chapstick products that I like.

You're always so helpful @Loretta55. it just stinks thinking a product works for you and then it doesn't. I need to do the same and just give it up. I appreciate all the details and suggestions!

@ShortErica @Thats disappointing! Iโ€™m not sure what it could be but I do think quite a lot of people ended up being allergic to their old formula so you definitely arenโ€™t alone! I used it with no problem for years but in the last like year I was trying to use up an old one for the same reason as you, the lasting power is unmatched, and all of a sudden my lips started going numb every time I put it on 

Oh bummer @Kim888! Yeah, I've read others' stories about it too. It was just so strange how the first one was great and then now I'm getting a reaction. Sorry to hear your last one didn't work as well too. I haven't had numbing but yep, that wouldn't be good. Thanks for sharing!

@ShortErica  Your cause could be completely different from mine, but I suspect youโ€™re allergic to it. Your symptoms sound exactly like what I had and it was an awful experience. Similarly, I tried to identify what ingredient could be the issue, including lanolin, but it was a futile road for me. If I were you, Iโ€™d stop using it and try other products. The moment you get similar symptoms from a new product, id stop, return it if possible, and try something else when your lips have recovered. Itโ€™s the best advice I can give as someone whoโ€™s suffered through the same thing for years. I actually have permanent lip scarring/splits because of it. Wish I figured it out before the damage was permanent. Unfortunately, I was too young to know better and thought my reactions were from the cold winter, so I slathered even more on for months. 

Thanks for this push @pinyo. I'm going to toss it. My brain always loves experiments but permanent damage is not worth the risk. I'm sorry you didn't find the culprit. I'll have to save the ingredients and if something else causes a reaction, compare its ingredients to get closer to a solution. Thanks again!

End of last week's gross/ G&T week

Spoiler
Started the day with the Boscia Tsubaki Oil Deep Hydrating mask.  The big takeaway from this mask for me was the scent.  I bought this from Sephora on sale a hot minute ago and now I'm wondering if it was out of date?  The scent wasn't the worst thing I've ever smelled, but it just smelled ... off.  I did still go ahead and use it since my skin was flaky in the morning when I woke up.  This one actually felt really nice since my skin was so tight when I put it on.  This one stayed on for about 30 minutes and I put on moisturizer right away since my skin was so dry to start off with.  No super oily feeling after removal which I was kind of anticipating.  I don't think this one is available anymore but I do remember thinking that I likely wouldn't have paid full price for it and so wanted to try it when it's on sale.  It was nice, but I likely wouldn't seek it out even if I was still around.  That said, I'd use it again even with the funky scent if I had more. 
Evening Mask was the Frudia Royal de Snail Green Mask.  Since I had such a flaky morning I figured the snail would be a good move.  I've read that it's meant to be healing.  Please take this with a grain of salt since my 'research' was mostly googling.  That said this was another enjoyable snail moment for me!  I like the other Frudia masks and this one is just as nice.  I have a few more of this (I really need to stop buying 10 packs of anything), and I like that they're masks I don't need to think about.  I'm learning more and more about my masking preferences the last few years and the will end up being filler/non-thinking masks for me.  

IMG_8307.jpg

Beginning of this week

Spoiler
I missed a couple of my two a day masks the beginning of this week so I figured I'd triple up yesterday.  U & F/ quickie week for me lead me to some fruity masks, and a quickie eye patch. 
The Annies way Mango Bubble tea mask was as expected.  A lovely fruity pick up in the morning.  My skin has been uber dry and dehydrated and this was a nice little punch to my skincare before my makeup.  I'm pretty sure these have been reviewed a bunch here, so I'll keep it short.  I have more.  I 'll gladly use them.  I won't seek more out, just cause I have so much and always want to try more. 
The look at me eye patches are the sticker type and I put them on intending to wear em for a couple minutes while I did a family zoom.  Well the zoom was taking a hot minute for everyone to get set up with wine and snacks so I added in the Pineapple slices.  The pineapple slices while an F mask for fruity (they did smell fruity but not like real pineapple fruity, more like fake fruity?), were actually chosen as a mask for U&F week.  Or... as I've decided to interpret the week... FU week.  This is an FU mask as I just don't get enough serum/skincare from the mask and it seems more like a fun little thing to do rather than actual skincare.  Going forward I likely won't buy more of this style of mask.  That said, show me a fun package and I'll deny ever saying this.  My cousin did get a kick out of the pineapples and it was funny, so I guess it's a win there, but frankly, my skin needs more. The FU masks are basically masks that I don't need in my collection.  I'm going to see how many masks I can loose from my collection this week that I've deemed unworthy.  The FU is probably a bit harsh, but hey... I'm trying to fit a theme here. 
Oh... the eye patches.  These ones are the sticker kind and they're lovely.  I grabbed them at Winners and TJ maxx a few times so I'm glad to use more.  They're so much better than the slippery kind.  My under eyes were't transformed magically or anything but they did look good. 
36A417B9-1799-42B8-B26C-1F0E0898BC9D.jpeg

โ€ƒ

@missjeanie  Yeah, I feel your pain with the 10-packs! I've told myself I'm not aloud to buy them unless I know I absolutely love it. 

Happy to hear the Annie's Way was decent! I have several packs to get through, and I've  heard the other varieties smell good too so it's nice to know I have that to look forward to. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‹

10 packs... I swear they're such a love/hate relationship @Shosh85 lol

testing