Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

S is for soothing

VT Cica Daily Soothing Mask.jpeg

Spoiler
What I Like
The material of the VT Cica Daily Soothing Mask is quite nice - it's a nude seal fabric, same as the Merbliss Intense Hydration mask I posted on previously.  There's a good amount of essence in these sheets, more so than I've seen in some daily sheet mask packs. There are also some good skincare ingredients in the essence - extracts of centella asiatica, honey, propolis and royal jelly, along with sodium hyaluronate and pathenol, to name a few.  These masks can be left on for 10-20 minutes (per the instructions) without it drying out and I find that amount of time to hydrate my skin nicely. It's not as hydrated as if I used an individual sheet mask, but I didn't expect it to. I was pleasantly surprised that it gave me more hydration than I thought it would. I also love the mini tongs that come with these sheet masks as well! These VT sheet masks claim to soothe the skin and I feel like it did, to some extent, at least. My skin wasn't super irritated to begin with when I used these. A couple blemishes looked less angry, always a plus. 

What's also a plus is that this mask pack contains, wait for it . . . 

30 sheet masks!!!

LOL! Not 20. Or 32. Or 36. Thirty. So there are actual months where this mask pack will be perfect for daily masking. Hahaha! Tagging @Shosh85 @lmaster, I wasn't sure I would come across a mask pack that had 30 or 31 sheet masks, but here we go. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

Area(s) for Improvement
The packaging has its pros and cons. I would like to see a better way to close/seal the inside "door" to the sheet masks. It's easy to tear off completely, which is what I did the first time I used a daily sheet mask pack with this type of design (it was from A'Pieu). I learned my lesson and made sure not to tear off the inner lid completely. Still, though, some of the essence ended spilling out when the box fell from the sink counter, which means these are not safe for travel (but then again, I don't have any travel plans for the time I intend to use these sheet masks). Good news though, the two-lid system prevented any sheets from touching the floor - it landed on a closed lid so everything was intact, save the essence that seeped out. Could've been worse, but this is one of the areas with this mask pack can could benefit the most from a redesign. This isn't a deal breaker.

Would I repurchase?
I'd like to go through the entire box before committing to anything, but I'm definitely leaning towards this being a repurchase. I'll try to remember to post about these sheet masks again when V is the letter of the week. If all goes accordingly to plan, I'll pretty much have gone through this mask pack by then so the timing should work out very nicely.

Ingredients (from yesstyle (dot) com) :
Spoiler
Purified Water, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Polyglyceryl-4 Caprate, Propanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Illicium Verum (Anise) Fruit Extract, Trehalose, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Arginine, Panthenol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Centella Asiatica Extract, Madecassoside, Madecassic Acid, Asiaticoside, Asiatic Acid, Propolis Extract, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Butylene Glycol, Honey Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Royal Jelly Extract, Matricaria Flower Extract, Fructan, Xylitylglucoside, Anhydroxylitol, Xylitol, Glucose, Glycine, Serine, Glutamic Acid, Aspartic Acid, Leucine, Alanine, Lysine, Arginine, Tyrosine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Proline, Valine, Isoleucine, Histidine, Methionine, Cysteine, Fragrance

@itsfi I love the packaging and the tongs!! Sounds great!

@itsfi I've been thinking about my beauty packaging more and more as well and I like the idea of these masks.  I've been great at reducing quite a bit in other areas of my life however I've found that beauty wise while I recycle where I can, there's still a significant amount of trash.  Are these packaged in a 'baby wipe' type of plastic box?  Do you find that they last open much past the 30 ish days?  I don't use makeup or cleansing wipes often but when I do I find that they dry out before I can finish the pack and end up adding water into them to 're-hydrate'. 

@itsfi  30? So that means even if you bought 12, you would still come up 5 short for the year ๐Ÿ˜‚ .... but I guess if you replaced a few of the 30 packs with the 32 packs, it'd even out ๐Ÿ˜†

Glad to hear these are working out well for you so far! I'll be super interested to know how you feel about them when you've gone through a pack! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Hahaha! ๐Ÿ˜ Yes @Shosh85, these would not work for a full year without some additional masks. I like these daily mask packs but I donโ€™t think I like them so much that Iโ€™d just want to use one or just ones like this for a year. You know I get distracted by new sheet masks. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I have been thinking about what a good allocation of masks in my collection would be for me with daily mask packs, tried and true masks, filler masks and new to me masks, etc., so we shall see.

@itsfi @That sounds really interesting! Sometimes I do get concerned about all the packaging so this sounds like a nice compromise! Glad to hear they exceeded your expectations 

@Kim888, I really like sheet masks but the packaging has been something that I've given thought to. I'll continue to use individual sheet masks but will incorporate more of these daily mask packs in my sheet mask routine more frequently, now that I've found a few that my skin seems to like. ๐Ÿ˜

Buddy mask

IMG_20201108_172755262.jpg

โ€ƒ

Spoiler
This sheet was thin with extra clear serum, eye holes needed snipped in the inner corners, but otherwise fit nicely. The scent to me was more floral/sweet. I wore it for 20 minutes and massaged the remaining serum. Again nicely hydrated and moisturized and my skin felt nourished and clean. No noticeable tack ๐Ÿ‘ will use again for sure!

It was nice to buddy up and even more fun with masks we all enjoyed @lmaster!

Yes absolutely!! @ShortErica I'm still going to use the blueberry version here soon ๐Ÿ™Œ

@lmaster  These really are all so nice! Glad this one worked out great for you too! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Love em!! @Shosh85 ๐Ÿ˜†

@lmaster Great.  Im so glad it worked for you.  It looks very interesting. 

@tjffc these are really great!

The end of last week

IMG_8279.jpg

Spoiler
Shea Butter Nourishing Mask - This was a mask that came to me via ipsy.  My skin has been super dry this last week or two and I was hoping to get some high moisture masks in so this one from the top of the pile seemed a good fit.  I'm not sure why, but I never really have high expectations for ipsy masks and this ended up being a prime example for me.  It's two days later and I can't remember much about it.  Not that it was bad, it's just not memorable.  I sniffed the package and no real scent.  I don't remember a bad or amazing fit.  I do have a spot that's developed today, but that's likely hormonal.  Nice that it's a vegan mask though. 

Farmskin Refreshing Broccoli mask - So once I opened up the farmskin mask pack I figured why not just use a couple more?  I had broccoli that I'd gotten ready for my lunch and figured that was a cosmic sign that broccoli should be on my face as well.  I enjoy all of the farmskin salad masks but don't usually notice a big difference between them.  They fit nicely with only one snip across the bridge of the nose, the material holds a good amount of serum, they stay damp on my skin for at least a half hour, and my skin feels a bit more hydrated after removal without leaving a filmy film or major tack.  No scent on this one that I recall.  Extra serum went onto my legs since I was working from home on Saturday and wearing shorts.  No complaints here.  Solid mask.

Farmskin Strengthening Blueberry.  I picked this one because I was going to be putting the Tretinoin on before bed... a bit of strengthening sounded appropriate to try and prep my skin before drying it out again lol.  No blueberry scent, I won't lie... kinda disappointed.  I did have to pull up the chin of the mask to sit on my nose.  I wanted snacks and this mask, while a lovely fit, is not fit for snacking. If anyone was wondering, the serum doesn't taste like blueberries either.  My legs enjoyed the extra serum again.  Sometimes I wonder if it's almost too much serum in the pouch?

Beginning of this week

IMG_8283.JPG

Spoiler
I went through the suitcase and pulled out about 20 masks to choose from for the week that were either gross/odd, G's or T's, and sounded like they'd be more on the hydrating/moisturizing side. 

The Cream Shop Collagen Face Mask - this one fits into the 'gross/odd' side of the week.  It's got squalene (which could be gross or not depending on where it's from), salmon egg extract, caviar extract, snail juices, yeast byproduct.  My last name is Sturgeon so I kinda laugh to myself when I use this mask. The mask itself does have fragrance as the last ingredient but it just has a super light spa type of scent to me.  There wan't extra serum in the packet but the mask itself was saturated without being drippy.  I had it on for about 15 minutes.  I used this mask before work so I didn't give myself enough time to leave it on for longer (I'm never leaving myself a lot of time in the mornings... how do you morning people do it??).  My skin felt nice after a light massage to work in the serum and while I wasn't left with a film that I've found in some masks, I was left with a feeling of moisturized skin.  I do have more of these to use happily and I'd buy them again at some point if I ever get my collection down to a manageable size.  I've learned over the last year or two that TCS masks can be hit or miss these are a hit for me.

Look at me Green Blend Tea Tree and Cucumber - I enjoy all of the masks in this line from Look at me, that said, this one is probably my least favourite.  I'm not a big fan of Tea Tree to start off with, but this is one of the better smelling tea tree masks I've used.  The masks material is lovely and the fit is good with what has become my standard snip of the bridge.  I choose this mask tonight hoping the tea tree would help any hormonal acne that may be sneaking up.  Did it help? Who knows, but the mask itself felt nice and was on for about 20 minutes.  While this isn't my favourite mask from the line (heeyyyyy you watermelon) I do think it's lovely. 

Hey my mind reading pal @missjeanie, you are taking thoughts out of my head again ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚ I have 4 masks on the counter with extra serum I need to use and two little jars with serums from two others.

I feel bad @ShortErica I mean it's good serum but I really don't need all that much most days.  My legs do feel lovely right now though.  lol some masks I swear I do a layer of serum over my entire body. 

I think I need to use it on my legs like you @missjeanie because I have my normal serum plus masking to use on my face so this seems excessive and I can't save it forever. My legs deserve some love

@ShortErica especially since you can wear shorts and skirts!  No one even sees mine this time of year lol. 

@missjeanie  I've really liked the Salad line - though I feel like I may be the only one who smells blueberry! It is super light though, and I definitely wouldn't mind it being stronger!

That collagen mask is perfect for gross week! I love that it has so many unusual ingredients! 

Very light blueberry @Shosh85 aand I think this one may have been even more lightly scented than this line if I'm recalling my experience correctly.

testing