Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

💕😌 2024 Masking Challenge 😌💖

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights 💮

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks💗

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

@itsfi  Yup, absolutely! This one definitely felt great on my dry skin - the thick jelly is wonderful! 😃

@Shosh85 now that you mention it, I got some pilling too but mostly on my neck. Weird about the scent difference but I feel like I'm smelling floral everything lately 🤷‍♀️

@ShortErica  I feel like I need to try this again, just to see if I smell something different. 😉 I definitely loved the jelly serum! 😃

Agreed @Shosh85! Jelly is awesome.

@Shosh85  That sounds quite nice. I don't think I've seen much Kina stuff around before.

@PrettyPaint  I've seen the sheet masks at TJ Maxx/Marshall's every once in a while, but just never pulled the plug. It turned out nice and I was happy to be able to try it! 😃

It's a shame about the pilling. I wonder if it'd would react better with some different products in your routine, @Shosh85.

@quspork  Yep, that's definitely possible! I wouldn't mind trying it one more time, especially to test out the pilling and to sniff test again 😉

J is for Japanese brand (BCL Saborino)
Saborino Morning.jpeg

Spoiler
I've been using daily sheet mask packs like this BCL Saborino Morning Mask (Original) (Yellow) off and on throughout the year, with some packs being used daily as intended and others used with varying frequency. This particular mask pack I reach for about 2-3 times per week, depending on how I'm feeling (or how my skin is feeling) on a particular morning. This mask claims to cleanse, tighten and moisturize the skin, all in one step, and all in as little as 1 minute. Yep, that's what it says on the package - one minute. 

Material, Essence, Scent, Fit & Adherence:
Saborino has several of these mask packs, and they come in packs of 5 sheets as well as 32, like this one. I have no idea why this one has 32. I've used a 7-sheet pack of the varietal in magenta package before and that smelled heavily of menthol. The scent on this original yellow package has a slight menthol scent to it but it is much less pronounced than the previous pack I used, and this original yellow pack seems to also have a very subtle mint/herb and lightly sweet scent to it that I picked up when I open the packet to smell but not when I apply the mask to my face. The mask is just a smidge thinner than your standard mask, feels light and is pliable / stretchy so it can accommodate many face sizes and shapes. Fit is smaller than the traditional sheet masks, and even smaller circumference-wise than other Japanese brand sheet masks that I've used, which actually works well for my face shape. The eye holes are on the narrower side but not so narrower as to squish or smoosh my eyes. Adherence is pretty good considering that the mask is just slightly more than damp with essence. 

Performance & Results:
I'm not so sure about the 1-minute claim that some daily sheet masks, like this one, have, and my MO with 1-minute sheet masks is to keep the mask on for 5-10 minutes depending on when I start to feel like the mask is drying up (and depending on whether I'm in a hurry), unless, of course, it's causing some abnormal tingling, itching or burning. I did not experience any of those negative reactions (even though the instructions do say that some tingling will occur). Since each individual sheet is not heavily saturated with essence, there's not much left after removing the mask and what little does remains absorbs very quickly, and without leaving any tack or stickiness. 

As for its 3-in-1 claims of cleansing, tightening and moisturizing, I'm also not so sure. Firstly, I don't use sheet masks as a substitute for cleansing my face - in the evening, it's typically a micellar water + double cleansing routine for me. In the mornings, I may or may not use a cleanser depending on my skin's needs; but on days that I do not use one, I do rinse off my face with lukewarm water and a washcloth. As for tightening, hmmm.... I didn't notice any tightening of my skin tone or my pores, but again, I haven't been using this consistently as intended. I can see how this might be moisturizing for certain skin types. My skin is dehydrated-combo at the moment and I did feel like my skin received some hydration, but not enough as a substitute for moisturizer for the drier or "normal" parts of my face. 

Overall Thoughts:
Overall, these are fine, but there are other daily sheet mask packs that I prefer over these Saborino morning mask packs, primarily because of the scent, the amount of essence in the other mask packs, and the hydration my skin gets from them. That said, Saborino also makes a couple of mask packs that are marketed towards evening use, which I plan to give a try at some point - I have a healthy number and variety of daily mask packs and there are couple in that group that I'd like to get to sooner rather than later. I wonder if the scent will be different with the evening mask packs as the menthol / minty scent in the morning masks is marketed as being refreshing / revitalizing and useful in helping you wake up in the morning. 

Ingredients:
Spoiler
Water, glycerin, butylene glycol, alcohol, ascorbyl glucoside, persea gratissima (avocado) fruit extract (persea gratissima), citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) oil, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract (cucumis sativus), citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel oil (citrus grandis) tremella fuciformis polysaccharide, mentha piperita (peppermint) leaf extract, melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) leaf oil (melaleuca alternifolia) honey, sodium hyaluronate, betaine, soluble collagen, peg-60 hydrogenated castor oil, sodium acetylhyaluronate, xanthan gum, citric acid, sodium citrate, menthol, malic acid, phenoxyethanol, ethylparaben, methylparaben, fragrance

@itsfi  Too bad they aren’t better. But will a nice filler!

These are alright @ather and I agree, these make good filler masks. There are masks packs that I’ve used that I like a lot and would repurchase. I’ve just been trying out others (and trying to get through all my masks) because ... because why not?!! Hahaha! 😆 

@itsfi  Totally agree!!! 

@itsfi quite the claims, I agree. Sheet mask claims can be entertaining! On the bright side, it’s a good solution to reduce excess packaging waste. If you ever finish a multi-pack like this and fall in love, I hope you share the details😉

@eshoe, I’ve really enjoyed the mask packs I’ve used from A’Pieu and bizoo oohhaa. The A’Pieu I used last year or the year before and the bizoo one earlier this year. Dear Packer makes one that I used before as well, but I think it may work even better in the cooler seasons and I may give that mask pack another try in the next few months. LuLuLun also has good mask packs but I’ve only used the smaller packs and not the month long or year long packs. 

@itsfi  These sound quite nice. The menthol/refreshing aspect does sound good for the morning, though I don't think I would be able to use them daily because the alcohol content looks somewhat high up there. I'll have to check out this brand, though, as the fit sounds really nice - I like smaller fitting masks with the stretchy fabric. 

Yeah @PrettyPaint, I find that many of the daily mask packs have alcohol in them, and in the top half of the inci list too. 😒 I have found a couple of mask packs from Korean brands that do not contain alcohol and I tend to prefer those.

@itsfi  Hmm, so what month has 32 days?😂 This one sounds pretty decent and I agree that the scent especially would make it great morning mask! 
I can't remember, have you tried any of the LuLuLun daily mask packs? Just wondering how the two brands compare 🤔

@Shosh85 @itsfi 😆 that's great!!

😂🤣😂 @Shosh85, I know! The best I can come up with is that they went for a 31-day month with an extra one in case of user error or they are allowing for only one instance where 2 sheet masks were stuck together. 😆 I get the ones that give you a 5-day pack (for the work week) or a 7-day pack (full week), but I've come across some interesting arrangements. lol. I've used the Lululuns before, a few different series and for me, I personally prefer the Lululuns, primarily because the Lululun masks are more saturated in essence (and my dehydrated skin finds happiness in that) and the scent is more pleasing to me. Lululun has daily mask packs that come with 32 and 36 sheets, similar to this Saborino one. In terms of packaging for the month-long masks, I prefer the Saborino design because it's more secure, but that only becomes an issue if I'm traveling with a month-long pack.

An overnight mask and its side-kick to match:

43FDD8F4-DD49-4F33-9648-3A3106A5BD1E.jpeg

Spoiler
The Alpyn Beauty Wild Huckleberry 8-Acid Polishing Peel Mask 1.7 oz / 50 mL sounds a little intimidating, especially for dry skin. I did a patch test first, something I never do, but need to make practice. Besides the heavy-duty exfoliating (though it claims to be safe to use daily), the prospect of a strongly scented mask had me questioning whether or not it would be a good fit. But, yay! While it is touted as unscented, I detected a bit of a ‘campfire’ hint that I notice with Charlotte Tilbury Goddess Clay Mask 2.54 oz/ 75 mL. That, mixed with a bit of plastic? Anyhow, it’s very slight and dissipated once applied. 
7562A026-8C6B-4A9F-B7B9-2CF54A1E2D0F.jpeg
The granules are tiered; there are smaller, sugar crystal sized ones along with more sparse larger ones. I applied and rinsed very carefully so as not to put my skin into shock lol. Instructions state to leave on for five minutes, and based on my patch test, felt it would be okay to proceed as directed. I promptly removed with my The Original MakeUp Eraser Watermelon MakeUp Eraser and checked for any signs of irritation or redness. None, which was a pleasant surprise! My skin felt quite soft, I might even say baby soft. Next time I use Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL I want to pay close attention to how similar they are in results. I can’t wait to use this one again, but feel I should be cautious so as to not over stimulate my skin barrier.

The detoskin Celery Cleanse Mask is the second I’ve tried from this brand, and of the two, my favorite. A light clean scent-fresher and softer than the Kale one. Fit seemed better, too. Only a teeny-tiny bit of tack after removing (it began to dry so I had to remove around 20 minutes). My skin looked/felt ok, though slightly drier than I would like post-sheet mask. I would use it again, but no need to seek it out or repurchase.

Finally, after the Alpyn Beauty Melt Moisturizer with Bakuchiol and Squalane 1.7 oz/ 50 mL, I followed up with the Alpyn Beauty Hydrating Sleeping Mask with Melatonin & Wild Dandelion 2.0 oz/ 59 mL . My skin never feels dry after this combo, and has a nice glow in the AM. The moisturizer is a bit of a pain as it never ever absorbs quickly; there is quite a bit of gently coaxing it in, but once it does, the sleeping mask goes on effortlessly. Thanks to the easy dispenser I find myself using it more than any other sleeping mask, despite the strong scent - which I’ve come around to, and even look forward to now☺️

@eshoe Great reviews.  The calming sleep mask is one I'd love to try. 

1 Reply
testing