Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

@eshoe that resurfacing mask sounds really interesting! I'll totally be interested in hearing the comparison to the DE!

@Kim888 Iโ€™m always secretly looking for a dupe for the DE, you never know when something will be reformulated or discontinued. Itโ€™s hard to beat that one, too!

@eshoe  Well, it sounds like I need to look into Alpyn beauty products! Happy to hear everything is working out great so far!

I agree, the 8 acid peel sounds intimidating! I'm glad it didn't cause any irritation! I feel like that's one that would be easy for me to over-use, especially with those results! I'll be super interested to hear how it compares with the DE Babyfacial! ๐Ÿ‘

@Shosh85 the Alpyn mask was gentler on my skin than other acid/resurfacing masks Iโ€™ve used! I do have to say itโ€™s best to be cautious. A heavy hand with this might be very detrimental for dehydrated/very dry skin. I feel a little disappointed in a 5-minute mask (Iโ€™d rather keep it in for half an hour) but if the results are there, Iโ€™m all for it. 

As for their other products, just be forewarned of the scent-its strong! And the absorption is sloooooow. But Iโ€™ve already purchased a backup of the sleeping mask now that Iโ€™m half-way through๐Ÿ˜„

This one is not on theme, but I really wanted to try it out

IMG_20201018_141041650.jpg

โ€ƒ

Spoiler
Oh my gosh!! This is one I will purchase after trying this sample. It is a thicker pink cream with bits of strawberry to exfoliate. I lathered this on my face and waited about 15 minutes. The scent is out of this world!!! I think most of you know I'm a sucker for delicious scents and this one is ahhhhmazing!! I took my damp makeup eraser and removed the mask, my skin felt so extremely soft and hydrated!! Winner winner!!

@lmaster  Oh nice! This one certainly does sound amazing! So happy to hear you loved it! It's funny, I was tempted to get this one, but I'm not a fan of rhubarb so I just couldn't ๐Ÿ˜‚ I'll be going back and ordering more samples once I get through the first round, so I'll probably pick it up then. ๐Ÿ‘

@Shosh85 oh my gosh!! Strawberry ice cream.... strawberry frosting.... ๐Ÿ˜‹

Oooooh, this one does smell amazing @lmaster! โ™ฅ๏ธ It makes me think of this strawberry rhubarb cupcake that was a special offering from a cupcake truck near an old work site. ๐Ÿ“๐Ÿง I know, food is always close to my mind. Especially when it comes to masks, it seems. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Eminence also makes a strawberry rhubarb exfoliating powder.

@itsfi trust me,,, it took everything in me to convince my brain it's not edible!! 

@lmaster ugh I saw @Shosh85โ€™s haul about these samples and I was soooooo envious of you two! Strawberry rhubarb pie is one of my favorites, I can only imagine how delicious this must be ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿคฉ

Oh my goodness!!! @eshoe it was so hard to convince myself,,, this is not frosting!!! ๐Ÿคฃ

After several weeks of babying my skin, I did 2 very stupid things early this month that made my face a big olโ€™ mess. 

Spoiler

I introduced tranexamic acid ( The INKEY List Tranexamic Acid Hyperpigmentation Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL ) too soon after increasing retinol frequency from every other night to nightly. Iโ€™d intended to apply tranexamic acid only to my forehead and hairline during the intro period, so I thought Iโ€™d be okay. And I mightโ€™ve been, had I not done stupid thing number 2. 

One night, without thinking about it, I applied tranexamic acid to my entire face, including my undereyes. Later in my PM routine, I layered retinol over everything. My sensitive oily zone and undereyes were 100% unamused. Youโ€™d think that would teach me a hard lesson but nope, I mindlessly did the exact same thing 2 nights later. ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ Autopilot gone awry. 

How bad was it? Well, I don't have photos of the initial damage when my face looked its worst, but here's a photo I took tonight. The redness has greatly subsided, but you can see how inflamed my undereyes still are. ๐Ÿ˜ž That skin's also starting to flake and peel, which isn't a bad thing in this instance. 

"Oh, you have a red undertone!" No, I have surface redness + inflammation issues. It looks so much better in this photo than it did earlier this month, thank goodness. In real life, I kinda look like I'm recovering from black eyes. :( But still, it's an improvement!"Oh, you have a red undertone!" No, I have surface redness + inflammation issues. It looks so much better in this photo than it did earlier this month, thank goodness. In real life, I kinda look like I'm recovering from black eyes. ๐Ÿ˜ž But still, it's an improvement!

Oh hey, see those short dark spots/splotches on my neck? Those are chemical burn scars. They happened after I used an exfoliant containing citrus extracts a few months ago. This is why I generally avoid citrus extracts and oils on my face and neck. It's very volatile stuff! 

Result: large bright red patches of bumpy burning woe. Iโ€™ve mentioned my surface redness and my skinโ€™s inflammation issues before but wow, those missteps threw my face into a tailspin. I couldnโ€™t even apply cream moisturizer without my skin burning like Iโ€™d applied way too much glycolic acid without neutralization. Iโ€™ve spent most of October trying to calm everything down. That means more extremely picky repeat masking. 

So in terms of masking, October is brought to you by CBD, oatmeal, and good ol' petrolatum (and mineral oil). 

Will definitely reuse this photo for the October Favorites thread. :DWill definitely reuse this photo for the October Favorites thread. ๐Ÿ˜„ 

Iโ€™ve used The Inkey List Oat Cleansing Balm a lot as a PM 10-minute mask this month. My angry painful skin has greatly appreciated its soothing and moisturizing abilities. Iโ€™ve talked about this balm at least a couple times in this thread so I wonโ€™t repeat myself, but itโ€™s one of my favorite multifunctional things ever. 

Iโ€™ve also used my dear old friend Herbivore Emerald CBD Oil as an overnight mask many nights this month. Iโ€™ve kept up with retinol, applying it 6 nights in a row and giving my skin 1 night off to help it recover. A thin layer of CBD oil over retinol (which I apply over my cream moisturizer) has been a huge help, especially where my skin is most irritated. My undereyes no longer burn, hooray! 

A few nights a week, Iโ€™ve applied a thin layer of either Aquaphor Ointment or CeraVe Healing Ointment to my undereyes and oily zone. Aquaphor contains lanolin which my skinโ€™s usually not angry about. But as raw and extra tender as my undereyes have been lately, Iโ€™ve found the CeraVe ointment works better with less irritation on that skin, while Aquaphorโ€™s still worked well on my irritated oily zone. So I guess you could say Iโ€™ve used both ointments as overnight masks on specific parts of my face. 

These arenโ€™t the only products Iโ€™ve used on my skin to reduce inflammation, but theyโ€™re the ones that most qualify as โ€œmasking.โ€ ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm very much steady-as-she-goes with these products until my skins' healed enough for more new-to-me mask adventures. 

@WinglessOne  Oh man! I'm so sorry to hear your skin is giving you a hard time! Looks like you got a nice routine going! Love the Emerald Oil! Hope your skin heals in a jiffy! ๐Ÿคž

Thanks @Shosh85 ! I can hardly wait to get back to using all the masks Iโ€™ve got on deck! 

Oh @WinglessOne, hugs to you๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ’• At least it sounds like youโ€™ve got things under control now, though it must not feel back to normal just yet. Thank you for sharing, itโ€™s good to be reminded that our skin can be finicky and we need a backup plan for when things backfire:(

Thank you @eshoe ! I'm trying not to rush recovery, especially since the weather's changing (we're finally in fall mode here). But yep, it's good to have a bad reaction kit for unintended mishaps. ๐Ÿ™‚

I didn't mention cold compresses but I've also done lots of those this month. At night, I've been soaking 2 bamboo rounds with cold water, sometimes rubbing a bit of my COSRX cica serum on them, and tossing 'em in the fridge (inside a plastic bag) to use the next morning. It's the little things that make my skin happy lately. 

@WinglessOne I had to screenshot your remedy as inevitably it will happen to me sometime soon. Love the idea about soaking the bamboo pads, it sounds very soothing and now I have to go hunt down those, too๐Ÿ˜‚

@WinglessOne Oh my!  Poor thing!  It is amazing how the skin reacts to products it doesn't like.  I'm sure you are back to pampering it. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Thanks @tjffc! The funny thing (well, funny now; I wasn't laughing earlier this month) is my previous weeks of babying was done to recover from a bad reaction to a different product. Good grief... I'll be glad when I can see my dermatologist in person again, though I'm bracing for lots of lecturing. ๐Ÿ˜„ 

@WinglessOne Yes!  The dermatologist is my favorite MD.  They are worth their weight in gold and in my case a miracle worker!  I'm sure you will just get a tiny scolding.๐Ÿ˜Š

@WinglessOne holy ouch!! Chemical burn,,, do you think it's going to scar?

1 Reply
testing