Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

@itsfi  This brand seems to make some nice masks! The first mask I've tried from this brand was from you and I loved it!
I love your scent descriptions! It definitely sounds like a yummy smelling mask! I'm actually not a big fan of pomegranate, well at least by itself - so a raspberry scent actually sounds better to me! Happy to hear it turned out pretty decent! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, when I opened the packet I thought it was a raspberry flavored mask because of the scent and I thought I completely missed on the theme of the week as a result. ๐Ÿคช Then I noticed the flavor was actually pomegranate. ๐Ÿ˜† Iโ€™ve liked the masks Iโ€™ve used from this brand so far; will have to look into it more ... well, maybe after I get through a handful more masks. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

A "K" and Forgotten Wonder to end the week (almost):

Kforget.jpg

Spoiler
Forgotten Wonders most definitely includes the Summer Fridays R + R Mask. I keep this in my little fridge so it is forgotten wayyyyyy more than used. I derma planed just before, and despite the exfoliating granules in this one, was not concerned knowing just how hydrating this one is. Like a fruity vaseline mask.

The detoskin Kale Cleanse Mask is a decent mask that gives some skin love without being overbearing in any way. The scent - slightly clean/fresh. I have a celery mask from the same brand and hope to compare them, but so far, found it to be a sound filler mask. My skin looked pleasantly plumped after using and also this morning (used the Alpyn Beauty Hydrating Sleeping Mask with Melatonin & Wild Dandelion 2.0 oz/ 59 mL before heading to bed). Waiting on the Alpyn Huckleberry Mask to arrive hopefully this week. As much as I initially opposed the strongly scented Alpyn Beauty Melt Moisturizer with Bakuchiol and Squalane 1.7 oz/ 50 mL and sleeping mask, they make my skin so smoothed that I am on pins and needles waiting for it to arrive!

The Bite Beauty Lip Mask in Champagne is a Forgotten Wonder while I am diligently working to finish the Original tube (almost there). I can't wait to open Smashed, finally! It would be fantastic to have my Laneige jars transferred to a tube for easier application, I may have to look into that soon. 

@eshoe oh the SF mask is so hydrating and smells awesome

@eshoe  So happy to hear you're loving the results from the Alpyn products!

Funny you mention the Laneige jars - I've been looking on Amazon for empty lip gloss tubes to transfer the jars to.....

Spoiler
56213F60-D352-4758-BB69-0DB36D55C3D2.jpeg

The only issue is the Laneige possibly being too thick for the syringes, so using a scoop may be necessary. 

Oh YES @Shosh85 this kit looks like a project I would want to take on๐Ÿคฉ @sonnydee04 @sonnydee (not sure which one I should be tagging!) Thanks for sharing, I think a spatula might do the trick.

@eshoe  I am more than half way done with my FS berry Laneige and am considering buying the lemon one - if I do that I'll definitely be buying a set like this! Would like to go through and read the reviews on them first, and it may be a tedious task to take on, but I think it'd be worth it! 

I think it would be a fun time @Shosh85 @sonnydee. I should look into it, I would like to depot the LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Gummy Bear asap! Hope to see your finished project when/if you decide to do it!

And I'm not sure either @eshoe I'm might to have to close the account- teeni's- that sonnydee is on. Long story short: I'm banned from online ordering for multiple people at 1 address. {My teenage daughter who lives with me & that I buy for. }they are looking into it.....๐Ÿ˜กbut they are both me. This is the only social media I do & I didn't realize I was tucked under her account until I started ranking up. ๐Ÿคท

Ugh that sounds so frustrating @sonnydee ๐Ÿ˜ฃ I hope it gets sorted out soon. Good to know, also. sorry you are having to deal with this!

Yea, you are going to want to do this project when you have a lot of frustration to work out @Shosh85 i see a lot of squeezing & "bumping" the tube on the counter to make it go down. Good idea though! I just disposable lip sticks each time instead of putting my finger in the pot. Wasteful i know, but the amount of things i do recycle, drives hubs crazy, so I figure I can get away with stick or 2/week. 

@sonnydee  Yeah, I'm not sure how much fun it'd be, but I totally think it'd be worth it. If they were in convenient little tubes, I'd definitely use it a lot more often! 

@eshoe, I pulled my Summer Fridays R+R mask from my bin earlier this month and put it in the shower for convenience. My face feels so happily hydrated after using it! ๐Ÿ’— That, the medicine cabinet, and for me at least, my mini fridge, are great places to keep products to be used - I'm less likely to forget a product if they live in one of those places. Do you store a lot of products in your mini fridge?

Summer Fridays R + R Mask 

Our set ups sound similar, @itsfi! Iโ€™ve been working to get through a good portion of my stash because there are sooooo many minis and they are starting to feel more like clutter than joy. My mini fridge is mostly larger tubes/jars (eye gels), and is packed full. Not sure how you feel about it, but I think a slightly larger version would be ideal๐Ÿ˜‰

@eshoe  Great choices!! 

Thank you @ather, feels good to get back to some favorites!

@eshoe  Iโ€™ve been using up my oldies buy goodies lately before I open my new ones! 

Good for you, @ather - truly! Wish I would have been doing this all along, but thereโ€™s no better time to start than now;)

P is for Pink and Psidium guajava fruit extract (guava), paired with the very pale pink hued fresh Rose Petal-Soft Deep Hydration Lip Balm 0.3 oz/ 10gโค๏ธ 
Pink (1).jpeg
Spoiler
Innisfree Quick Tone-Up Mask - Pink can also slot in nicely in this week's forgotten wonders theme, though I wouldn't characterize it as "forgotten" so much as it's just waiting for its turn in the line of masks I need to get through this year. ๐Ÿ˜‰  This is a 2-piece pale-pink hued sheet mask coated in a thin, but rich, thick layer of a slightly pink tinted cream. I'm not certain whether the consistency of this cream "essence" is due to the mask approaching its designated expiration date or whether it's meant to have this thickness to it. I think perhaps it's the former because the directions refer to it as an 'essence' and it feels much too rich to me to have that designation - a reason to pick up another of this mask to test at another time. 

Fit / Adherence:
Two-piece sheet masks typically lend themselves to a good fit, though with some adjustments required occasionally. This particular 2-piece mask fit my face size, shape and features very well. Interestingly, the holes for the eyes were shaped like oversized rounded squares and I didn't have any anxiety over whether any of the product would leak into my eyes nor whether my eyes would feel squished by the size of the eye holes. Adherence, however, was a work in progress. I know that many have experienced a mask not staying put and puckering or puffing up. That's a rarity for me; most sheet masks cling nicely to my face. This one, however, puckered at the chin and lifted near the nose and upper mouth area. All I needed to do was press the mask back against my skin. It happened a few times during the 20-minutes I had on the mask; it really was not a big deal for me; maybe just a minor inconvenience. 

Performance / Results:
After removing the mask, I needed to spend some time massaging the cream into my skin - unlike what I consider a traditional sheet mask essence, I couldn't just pat or press the remaining essence into my skin for absorption. I literally had to spread and rub it into my skin, like I would sunblock. And, like sunblock, it initially left a white cast, which disappeared once the cream was fully absorbed. My skin had a tacky-to-the-touch feel that I find makes for a nice primer before makeup (and that is one of the touted purposes of this mask) and my complexion looked noticeably brighter. 

Overall Thoughts:
There were some definite pros and cons to this mask. Based on my experience with this particular mask, I'd say it is more suitable for those with dry or dehydrated skin, and/or on cold winter mornings as a prep before applying makeup. I like the results enough that I will repurchase another of this mask, at some point. I'm very interested in seeing the consistency of the essence of a new, fresher mask as well as how it performs.

@itsfi  When I see more suited for cold dry skin my eyes always see those words pop out at me! Iโ€™m sure this mask would be perfect for me!! I will have to keep my eyes open for this mask!

Lol! I know the feeling @ather! ๐Ÿ˜† Whenever I write that a mask is suited for dehydrated or dry skin types, a few beauties here immediately come to mind (like you!) as being ones who might like the mask!! Especially with the colder weather coming, which I have to tell you, will be interesting how my skin decides to respond to this year to that plus maskne. Ugh! ๐Ÿ˜‘ 

1 Reply
testing