Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

M is for moisturizing

IMG_20200928_210006414.jpg

โ€ƒ

Spoiler
Had to grab this cutie! It's a more flexible sheet from tonymoly fit was a bit long at the forehead and did bunch around the mouth area. Serum smelled like lavender, clear and bubbly with a little extra. Wear time was 20 minutes, most of the serum had absorbed nicely after I removed the sheet. I did feel like my skin felt more hydrated and a bit moisturized. Not super impressive,,, but definitely has the cute factor!! Not a repurchase ๐Ÿ™„IMG_20200929_073717971.jpg

โ€ƒ

How cute are you @lmaster!! And how cute is that mask?!! ๐Ÿ˜ Too bad it doesnโ€™t perform as well as it looks. Iโ€™ll know what to expect when I reach for mine.

It's cute @itsfi no regrets, but not one I'd seek out

This mask is adorable @lmaster ๐Ÿฅฐ

It is @eshoe sucker for the cute packaging!! ๐Ÿ™‹

I'm glad to finally see a review of one of the minions masks, @lmaster - it's just too bad it was more of a cute mask than an effective one. 

@quspork it was ok, I was just hoping for a bit more with results

@lmaster  Love it! Too bad the results weren't too impressive, but at least it was cute! ๐Ÿ˜‰

It's definitely worth trying @Shosh85 

Info on how to recycle sheet mask packaging in the US (tagging @BeccahGrace who recently raised the non-recyclable sheet mask packaging issue) 

UPDATE OCT. 2: TerraCycle just added a FREE beauty products drop-off program with Nordstrom! @eshoe , if you have a local Nordstrom, see if they're participating so you can drop off sheet mask packaging, without buying a pouch or box. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Got this email from TerraCycle yesterday. Hooray!Got this email from TerraCycle yesterday. Hooray!

Original post: 

TerraCycle has a Zero Waste Box (and a Pouch) for "Beauty Products and Packaging.โ€ I asked TerraCycle if they accept sheet mask sleeves/pouches and plastic backings through this box/pouch. They do! ๐Ÿ‘ 

The pouch is $41 for a 7.5โ€ x 10.5โ€ envelope. Something that size wonโ€™t hold many large items like shampoo bottles, spray bottles, etc.; for that, the box is better. But I can probably fit lots of empty sheet mask packaging into one of these pouches. The boxes are more expensive but come in 3 sizes; the smallest is 11โ€ x 11โ€ x 20โ€ for $108. The pouch and all 3 box sizes come with a prepaid return label. Iโ€™m definitely buying one; just need to decide if I want the box, or would rather try this program with the much smaller pouch first. 

Iโ€™m leaning heavily toward the box, especially considering everything else I can drop in there (could also stuff these in the pouch, if they fit): 
Spoiler
WHAT YOU CAN RECYCLE 

Please send us any brand of cosmetic, hair care, or skin care packaging. This includes cosmetic, hair care or skin care packaging including shampoo bottles and caps, conditioner bottles and caps, hair gel tubes and caps, hair spray bottles and triggers, and hair paste plastic jars and caps, lip balm tubes, face soap dispensers and tubes, face lotion bottles, tubes and plastic jars, body wash containers, soap tubes and dispensers, body lotion dispensers and bottles, shaving foam tubes (no cans), hand lotion bottles and tubes, lipstick cases, lip gloss tubes, mascara tubes, eye shadow cases, bronzer cases, foundation packaging and bottles, powder cases, eyeliner cases, eyeliner pencils, eye shadow tubes, concealer tubes, concealer sticks, and lip liner pencils. 

Do not send in aerosol cans, perfume bottles, nail polish bottles, and nail polish remover bottles. 

I already use other TerraCycle programs, like the one they have with Paula's Choice and their drop-off locations around town. Oh, and they have other Zero Waste boxes/pouches for other categories of packaging, including a more expensive "All-In-One" box. 

Wow thank you @WinglessOne, this is very interesting and helpful. I recycle plastic bottles/tubes but am impressed with the variety of things they accept (like some of the makeup items. I am going to look into this, from what I understand here, I pay for the pouch, fill it and return it. Iโ€™m curious if they send it back, or if I need to purchase a new back every time.

@eshoe  I'm glad I finally remembered to ask TerraCycle about that. They should add sheet mask packaging and plastic backing to their "what you can recycle" description for this box/pouch. I'll be surprised if no one else has ever asked them about this. ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

The box, especially the medium or large sizes, would be perfect for households with more than one person contributing emptiesโ€”or for friends or relatives who live very close to one another and want to split the cost of a box. Covid might screw up the logistics of sharing a box with friends, but it'd be a great option for, say, friends who live in the same apartment/condo building or on the same street/block. I'd even consider sharing a box with a bunch of y'all in this thread, if no one had to pay for postage to send their empty sheet mask packaging to the box holder. 

Oh, and you do have to buy a new pouch/box each time you send one in. That's why I'm leaning more toward the box for myself: I get a lot more space for my buck, so I won't end up buying them too frequently. By the time I've sent in 3 pouches, the small box probably wouldn't be full yet. ๐Ÿค” Plus, I trust TerraCycle more than my local municipal recycling program to actually recycle different colors of plastic bottles and a few other locally recyclable items, rather than send that stuff to a landfill. 

There's a Zero Waste box/pouch category that accepts, among other things, human hairโ€”as in, your own shed hair. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ I didn't check the pet food/supplies category to see if that one accepts dog or cat shed hair. ๐Ÿคฃ 

@WinglessOne I've seen felted mini replicas of pets done with the said animal's fur. So, it's not entirely surprising about the human hair, but with privacy, idk. I love my pup, but dog hair? 

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 4.37.57 PM.png

@WinglessOne  great info, thanks!!  this is one reason I haven't tried these kinds of masks yet...well, that and the masks themselves, which I assume you'd just have to throw away. ๐Ÿ˜ฉ  bummer it's so expensive to recycle them though!! ๐Ÿ˜ž ๐Ÿ˜ข

@treestar86  There might be other US recycling programs that take sheet mask packaging. TerraCycle's just the one I'm most familiar with. 

Wash-off mask packaging's not necessarily more recyclable than that of sheet masks, unfortunately. Sometimes it depends on the tube/bottle/jar's color. Example: blue plastic gets recycled to create more blue plastic; it can't be combined with white plastic containers that are recycled to make more white plastic. It's disheartening to read up on what actually happens to the things you drop off for recycling via local municipal programs, and learn how many things end up in landfills after recycling facilities reject them. ๐Ÿ˜ž

@WinglessOne  that's true, but at least they can be re-used, for something - at least that's what I always think, anyway, but then I never use anything up, so I never have that problem, lol.

what about the masks themselves, do you have to just throw them away?  or are there biodegradable ones??  I assume the ingredients would probably keep them from being biodegradable, even if the mask itself is...

@treestar86  When I asked TerraCycle about all of this, I didn't directly ask about the sheets themselvesโ€”but I should have. I did tell them I assume the sheets can't be recycled, and the customer service rep didn't address that at all. I might send them a follow-up question about it, unless someone else does that before I do. ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, one of TerraCycle's Zero Waste box categories includes used fabrics. It might be a stretch to consider microfiber sheet masks a form of fabric, but that's kinda what they are, so... huh. 

Some brands say their sheet masks are biodegradableโ€”usually those made 100% of cotton (eh, organic cotton), tencel/lycocell, bamboo, hemp, silk (though it takes much longer than the others to break down)โ€”so theoretically those would be compostable. But I don't know if certain ingredients in mask serums might affect that. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ 

M is for Milk

IMG_20200926_213627138.jpg

โ€ƒ

Spoiler
For some reason I didn't think I cared for this mask the first time I used it awhile ago,,, now that opinion has changed lol it was a pink sheet that was highly saturated with milky serum with plenty in the sleeve. The fit was great and had that second skin adherence. I would say a floral scent was more notable. Wear time was 20 minutes, after removing, my skin felt more hydrated, brighter and nourished. The moisturization factor was amazing,,I didn't have to apply any additional products and the minor bit of tackiness faded very quickly. This was an A experience this go aroundIMG_20200926_213639310.jpg

โ€ƒ

Glad this time was better @lmaster!

Just goes to show you @ShortErica time of the year does matter with certain masks

I know! Aren't there so many factors @lmaster?!

testing