Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

Congrats! @ShortErica such a great feeling to pan. I got excited last night, almost can see some pan in my caramel lip balm. 

rx4bw-knock2.gif

โ€ƒ

Ooo exciting @sonnydee!

Huh- I didn't realize Sephora wasn't selling this one anymore. I tried a whole tube (I guess now it's in a jar?) of this years ago, @sonnydee and unfortunately saw no real results. I hope you see some brightening in the morning! 

When I woke up I wasn't sticky or greasy if anything I look matte.... @quspork  I think I have another foil that I'll hold onto. It didn't make me break out & I think it might be a good one to use in the winter

All aboard the (M = ) Merbliss train! Last night I decided to follow along with everyone else whoโ€™s recently used the Merbliss Wedding Dress Aloe Honey Soothing Clear Seal Mask. 

Trying a mask that's liked or loved by many.Trying a mask that's liked or loved by many.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Boosts immunity; soothes and hydrates skin; makes skin supple. โ€œOur fresh and light Aloe & Honey mask is non-sticky and quickly absorbed.โ€ 

Ingredients: Iโ€™m glad thereโ€™s no royal jelly in this mask because Iโ€™m still not sure it actually does anything beneficial compared to propolis and honey, aside from maybe help hydrate skin by binding water molecules. Iโ€™ll have to see what the latest scientific study consensus is for royal jellyโ€ฆ I remember seeing a passing mention somewhere that clinical studies proved that ingredientโ€™s not nearly as effective as its hype claims. Hmm. 

I am happy to see the other 2 bee products, along with green tea, Japanese goldthread (coptis chinensis root), and my best friends sodium hyaluronate and licorice root. 

Spoiler
Water, Glycereth-26, Glycerin, Bis-PEG-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, 1,2-Hexanediol, Carbomer, Arginine, Xanthan Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Butylene Glycol, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Coptis Chinensis Root Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Azulene, Honey Extract, Propolis Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (10ppm), Fragrance 

Performance: This thin Lyocell sheet was a bit tricky to unfold, thanks to the half-sheet sized plastic backing. That backing sheet kinda got in my way, so I pulled it off and stuck it on my neck for a few seconds (heh, itโ€™s the perfect size and shape for that) while I finished wrangling the sheet mask. I couldโ€™ve snipped the eyehole inner corners and the mouth hole corners a bit, but left โ€˜em alone. Otherwise, the sheet fit great: covered my entire jaw and was the near-perfect length for my face. Thanks to the thick gel serum (which smelled quite nice, a mix of honey and added honey-floral fragrance), the sheet never budged once I smoothed it down. I scooped excess serum from the sleeve and spread it over the sheet all over my face, and applied some to my neck. 

Remember when I said (somewhere in this thread) Iโ€™ve taken many a tub soak while sheet masking but never a shower, because whoโ€™s crazy enough to shower while wearing a sheet mask? Wellโ€ฆ 

Spoiler
Since this Merbliss sheet was so well behaved, I decided to multitask in the kitchen and prep a quick batch of tomato sauce to cook the next day. I accidentally spilled tomato sauce all over the front of my legs, from my thighs down. (Donโ€™t ask how.) It contained fish sauce and minced garlicโ€”not the sort of stink I wanted to just water-wipe off and hop into bed with.

So hey, I hopped in the shower to wash my legs. While wearing this Merbliss mask. It said โ€œoh weโ€™re in the shower now, thatโ€™s cool, Iโ€™ll just chill up here while you wash up, no biggie.โ€ The mask stayed put no matter how often I bent down while showering and, afterward, lotioning up my legs. I did make sure not to get my face wet in the process, but still: Iโ€™m impressed by this maskโ€™s manners! Plus, this is another weird done-that thing I can cross off my list. 

I wore the mask a total of 20 minutes. There was a ton of serum left on my skin, even after removing some with the backs of my hands and massaging the rest into my face for 3 minutes. I let it be for another 3 minutes, then came back and massaged for another 2-3 minutes until everything had soaked into my skin. Afterward, I expected my skin to feel sticky (it did, contrary to Merblissโ€™s marketing claim), but I also had moderate pilling everywhere, including my neck. I had to wipe my skin down with a damp cloth to remove the pills. 

Results: Ah, another glow maker mask. I was less glowy after wiping my face and neck down to de-pill my skin, but there was still a nice natural looking radiance. My oily zone inflammation looked and felt better, and my whole face felt well hydrated. I applied moisturizer (not my usual YTTP Superfood but The Inkey List Peptide Moisturizer which I'm testing through October) and got more pilling. ๐Ÿ˜ก At least it was mild this time, but I planned to apply retinol next (once my face had dried down under moisturizer) and didnโ€™t want any pills to interfere. Thankfully, I had no pilling after applying retinol. 

I need to try this mask again and see what (if anything) I can do to reduce the pilling. Iโ€™m sure layering excess serum from the sleeve atop the sheet didnโ€™t help matters, so I wonโ€™t do that next time. 

Ok the leg marinade does not sound appealing, @WinglessOne ๐Ÿ˜„ But a major bonus that you were able to cross off another item on your to-do list while getting clean. This one is on my list, it's the second time I've seen it here recently, and I do like the Nurse Healing mask (despite a somewhat strong perfumed scent).

@WinglessOne piling is so annoying ๐Ÿค

@WinglessOne  Well it's too bad about the pilling, but otherwise sounds like a wonderful mask! Glad you enjoyed it! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Yeah i think I had the pilling too @WinglessOne it wasn't to bad but I saved this mask after a hot beach day. I never had it happen before so I had to think about what was happening ๐Ÿ˜ but I also used the extra goodness. Maybe next time I wouldn't put so much on my face & just use it on the rest of my body. The legs would take up alot. ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ–๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š

Went with the Sephora Pineapple mask for House Brand week ๐Ÿ

08A51C4E-474B-4C47-ACB7-1A2CCC3E70DF.jpeg

Spoiler

Sephora Collection Pineapple Face Mask

This is a super thin cotton sheet mask that was saturated with serum and had a pleasant pineapple scent. The fit was ok - a little too long at the chin, not quite wide enough by the ears and the mouth hole was just slightly too small for my preference. The adherence was good and it was comfortable to wear the half hour I had it on. There was some light tackiness after removing that only stuck around for a few minutes. My face looked brighter and felt lightly hydrated. I wouldn't say my pores looked any different, but my skin did feel super soft and smooth.

I don't like that all these Sephora masks have fragrance/parfum so I high up in the ingredients, but I did really enjoy this mask and definitely wouldn't hesitate to use again - I just don't think it's worth the $5.50 retail price

BBDA3D63-E414-413D-802E-0EA8067DF0F1.jpeg

Pineapple!!! ๐Ÿ I love the smell of fresh pineapples but I hear ya @Shosh85 on added fragrance being so high up on the ingredients list. I think thereโ€™s a different take on added fragrance in skincare / masks and since Sephoraโ€™s parent company is based in France, I can see how added fragrance might be seen through that lens as an added benefit to a product. 

On another note, have you tried the pineapple mask in the new Sephora clean line? Interested in how they compare. I picked one up to try both but just havenโ€™t had the chance to get to it.

@itsfi  I think I've decided I'm not buying anymore Sephora masks. I had a couple I was thinking about getting, but really, I've never been too impressed with any of them - the fragrance is the biggest concern, but I also just haven't been too amazed with the results either. I'm just always tempted because I love Sephora ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Shosh85 I guess that is why the holidays are the best time to stock up on the Sephora masks! I share your feelings about the price point. Also good point about the scent. Some are pleasant while others are overly 'clean.'

@eshoe  Yep, I really only buy the Sephora masks when there's sales. $5.50 per mask is just too much ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I'm thinking, unless there's a really good deal, I won't be buying anymore - the ingredient list and results just aren't worth it to me. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป

Yes so hard to pay $5.50 for just one mask @Shosh85! At least this one sounds enjoyable.

@ShortErica  Yep, every time I see a mask that price now, I think to myself, "I could get a box of masks at TJ Maxx for that price" ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Happy you like this version! @Shosh85 I'm noticing some I do like and some I don't lol this one I was in between on

@lmaster  I think this may be one of my favorites from the brand so far! I haven't tried too many of the "clean" products, but so far I think I might be liking the originals a wee more. ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Shosh85 I love the original version so much more,,, but I think it all comes back to the sheet itself

@Shosh85  That's exactly how I feel about the Sephora masks in general: fragrance is too high on the ingredients list, and the masks are enjoyable but overpriced. I don't know what costs Sephora incurs to produce these masks, but I wish they'd drop the price or sell these in a value bundle/box. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed this one! 

@WinglessOne  Yeah, I usually pick up a couple here and there, but only when there's sales. I can't say I've been too impressed with any of the Sephora masks I've tried - that fragrance half way up just kills me! 

testing